The first GT game I & millions others will NEVER win a major race in.

It is fun battling for 10th but I feel like i'll never be good enough to win either ( i use a dualshock )
With practice you could compete with ds4. If you're having trouble with throttle control, just keep tcs at 2. I did sport mode races with the controller when I was too lazy to set up the wheel. Managed a win and 2nd with the rest being midpack finishes.
It's all about easing into the inputs, trying to avoid rapid full flicks of the steering and triggers.

It is fun battling for 10th but I feel like i'll never be good enough to win either ( i use a dualshock )

I've won my first race against on the B/S tier not because I was the fastest on track but because I was the most consistent. The 3 in front did mistakes and I didn't so I won. I was always behind them (1 - 2 seconds on Lake Maggiore Gr.4) but when they went off track, I overtook them. :) It was cool. You can do it too I'm sure.

I've won my first race against on the B/S tier not because I was the fastest on track but because I was the most consistent. The 3 in front did mistakes and I didn't so I won. I was always behind them (1 - 2 seconds on Lake Maggiore Gr.4) but when they went off track, I overtook them. :) It was cool. You can do it too I'm sure.

110% agree. Being Consistent is better then a few fast sections.

Actually first racing game from any era on any platform I and millions others will never win a race in. By major I mean the Sport Daily Races, which are THE major races in this game and therefore the ENTIRE raison d'etre for this release in the first place. To get anywhere with Driver Rating or Sportsmanship Rating you have to race in the Sport races. PERIOD. Unless in the full game there are countless other 'authorized' on-line sport challenges for every skill level this is going to be a relentless lossfest for the majority of us less than Godlike racers.
I'm a sporting chap, I hate cheaters etc so the ONLY incentive for me to keep playing the demo (never complain about free!) is to get my SR rating up to S. It's a challenge in itself. I'm A at the moment. My DR when it was E generally put me in races where I started around 5th position. Race leader still 5 seconds faster than me per lap so no chance of winning but a good scrap for podium (except there IS no podium - see below). Ironically scrap IS the word here. Finished most of those races in 15th or less due to the shunting of others. Since getting SR to A and DR to D I am now consistently placed 20 or BELOW in the grid. Every race without fail I maybe have a couple cars slower than me. For example I just came in 20th at mini Brands Hatch. Leader was 38 seconds ahead of me. In a 5 lap race!
I dont consider myself incompetent either, but unless you are the best there is ALWAYS someone better than you who will ALWAYS beat you easily.

Just raced a clean race on the coaster track. Started 20th finished 19th. My goal of getting SR rating S has jsut been achieved. Rather ironic as I am actually writing this post about that being my only goal!

So let's see if my DR rating of D and SR rating of S makes a difference in the next race? I noticed I got ZERO experience in that last race. So no incentive to keep racing there is there? This game needs IN SESSION QUALIFYING to at least give you a chance if you do your best lap and Mr Alien messes up for once.

MY FIRST SR S race details below:

Interlagos: Only 3 of us S rated so already stressed. Start 19th out of 22. Finished 14th. An enjoyable race but all for the wrong reasons! My goal was to see my S blue at the end. Passing people would risk losing that hard earned 'privilige'. Had some hard scraps only 2 people tried to shunt me off, I was happy to give them the finger when they failed. I drove consistently and fast, passing anyone who slipped up.
Once again NO chance in **** of actually winning the race, so fun in a free demo but I'm not paying to be cannon fodder!

SECOND SR Race: Brands Hatch.
Starting position 24 out of 24... sigh. Actually in THIS game that's a sigh of relief. I can NOT be shunted unless I dare to pass anyone! I finish 20/21. Each person I passed after they spun out or left track quit the session. The last guy didnt have time to quit as I passed him on final straight.

Oh and to make it worse..there is not even a podium at the end! Only First place and that's it! At least let there be THREE drivers and some kind of reward or trophy for getting into the first 3. Geessh.... Also PLEASE allow tuning..even if limited to gear ratios and springs. So at least like in real life the better car can have a chance of beating the better drivers.
Dont race in Sport Mode for decent competition. Find a group of regulars to race with in public or private lobbies. Much better racing when you can control who races with you. I could care less about driver or sport rating. Means nothing.

Dont race in Sport Mode for decent competition. Find a group of regulars to race with in public or private lobbies. Much better racing when you can control who races with you. I could care less about driver or sport rating. Means nothing.

That's obviously great. But good luck finding all your mates online every 20 minutes at any time of the day - frequency of sport mode races, at least in the demo.

That's obviously great. But good luck finding all your mates online every 20 minutes at any time of the day - frequency of sport mode races, at least in the demo.
You don't have to find them if your in a lobby. Just invite them in. You are welcome to come race with us anytime.

You don't have to find them if your in a lobby. Just invite them in. You are welcome to come race with us anytime.

So that works with you and your group of friends right? That's great! But you suggested that to other people, ignoring the fact that most people can't find their mates every single time they want to have a nice race. Sport Mode is a good alternative imo.

Of course, racing with people you know and have fun with at the same time is the ideal.

So that works with you and your group of friends right? That's great! But you suggested that to other people, ignoring the fact that most people can't find their mates every single time they want to have a nice race. Sport Mode is a good alternative imo.

Of course, racing with people you know and have fun with at the same time is the ideal.
I like the idea of the Sport Mode but everytime I get in one of those there is a bunch of yahoo's that have to muck it up. Send me a friend request if you like.

Actually first racing game from any era on any platform I and millions others will never win a race in. By major I mean the Sport Daily Races, which are THE major races in this game and therefore the ENTIRE raison d'etre for this release in the first place. To get anywhere with Driver Rating or Sportsmanship Rating you have to race in the Sport races. PERIOD. Unless in the full game there are countless other 'authorized' on-line sport challenges for every skill level this is going to be a relentless lossfest for the majority of us less than Godlike racers.
I'm a sporting chap, I hate cheaters etc so the ONLY incentive for me to keep playing the demo (never complain about free!) is to get my SR rating up to S. It's a challenge in itself. I'm A at the moment. My DR when it was E generally put me in races where I started around 5th position. Race leader still 5 seconds faster than me per lap so no chance of winning but a good scrap for podium (except there IS no podium - see below). Ironically scrap IS the word here. Finished most of those races in 15th or less due to the shunting of others. Since getting SR to A and DR to D I am now consistently placed 20 or BELOW in the grid. Every race without fail I maybe have a couple cars slower than me. For example I just came in 20th at mini Brands Hatch. Leader was 38 seconds ahead of me. In a 5 lap race!
I dont consider myself incompetent either, but unless you are the best there is ALWAYS someone better than you who will ALWAYS beat you easily.

Just raced a clean race on the coaster track. Started 20th finished 19th. My goal of getting SR rating S has jsut been achieved. Rather ironic as I am actually writing this post about that being my only goal!

So let's see if my DR rating of D and SR rating of S makes a difference in the next race? I noticed I got ZERO experience in that last race. So no incentive to keep racing there is there? This game needs IN SESSION QUALIFYING to at least give you a chance if you do your best lap and Mr Alien messes up for once.

Interlagos: Only 3 of us S rated so already stressed. Start 19th out of 22. Finished 14th. An enjoyable race but all for the wrong reasons! My goal was to see my S blue at the end. Passing people would risk losing that hard earned 'privilige'. Had some hard scraps only 2 people tried to shunt me off, I was happy to give them the finger when they failed. I drove consistently and fast, passing anyone who slipped up.
Once again NO chance in **** of actually winning the race, so fun in a free demo but I'm not paying to be cannon fodder!

Starting position 24 out of 24... sigh. Actually in THIS game that's a sigh of relief. I can NOT be shunted unless I dare to pass anyone! I finish 20/21. Each person I passed after they spun out or left track quit the session. The last guy didnt have time to quit as I passed him on final straight.

Oh and to make it worse..there is not even a podium at the end! Only First place and that's it! At least let there be THREE drivers and some kind of reward or trophy for getting into the first 3. Geessh.... Also PLEASE allow tuning..even if limited to gear ratios and springs. So at least like in real life the better car can have a chance of beating the better drivers.
Don't beat yourself down mate. I know it's hard to win but you can't give up too easily. I've only had three wins so far, and I lose the majority of my races. That's just what racing is.

I bought PSN+ today and started playing my first Sport races. Jumped into the Audi TTS N300 at Kyoto reverse without any qualifying but I didn't like that car's slippery tyres that much so I finished the race and moved to the Gr.4 race at Maggiore reverse. That one is a lot of fun so been repeatedly doing that one. :)

I started with the default DR E in my WRX Gr.4 and was not doing bad, set a lousy qualifying time of 2:22 or something and I had some struggling races to get used to the car and the track. Swapped to my Scirocco Gr.4 and I did better, set a new qualifying time of 2:20 or something. Some more races where I usually started and finished between 2nd and 6th or so. I hopped into my F-Type Gr.4 and set a 2:17 from 1 try. I thought I would now be able to start at pole once since most people in my groups have been doing poles with a time near that. And then suddenly I move up to D ranking, duh, why?

Now the most important thing are fun races and that is absolutely what I experienced today, I'm having an absolute blast in that Jag Gr.4. :) But I wonder why they move me up a rank so fast, it would have been fun to set a pole once or win a race in DR E before I got promoted to DR D. There is a whole bar of achievements for Sport mode and the only thing that's filling up is number of races, all the rest is at zero. :P

Is there a way to influence the groups you are formed with? Should I deliberately set a qualifying time where I'm performing sub par?

You mentioned 2 huge MP games that actually have had the single player part just tacked on for appearances back when you couldnt JUST release an MP game. Battlefield in particular has been criticized for its short 'career' mode. I've been playing FPS games since Doom in 1993, I sadly saw it decline as the MP portions of the game had masses more invested than the story parts. I am writing form the view I dont want racing games to go the same way. So every game is just an arena to throw people into.
Multiplayer will be the death of imagination in gaming.

This is why I bought Wolfenstein 2 when it released last Tuesday. No online multiplayer whatsoever. Truly old-school and I love that. I wish more games would stay true to their roots. Not necessarily Gran Turismo, but just in general. I beat it last night so I might play GTS tonight instead.

This is why I bought Wolfenstein 2 when it released last Tuesday. No online multiplayer whatsoever. Truly old-school and I love that. I wish more games would stay true to their roots. Not necessarily Gran Turismo, but just in general. I beat it last night so I might play GTS tonight instead.

Exactly dude! The latest Wolf games are fantastic. New Order/Old Blood just perfect single player action. Uber so well balanced too, rewards the player for learning the nuances of the game. W2 is on my list too Im just a cheapskate I never buy a game unless its on sale...or its got Gran Tursimo in title :/

I bought PSN+ today and started playing my first Sport races. Jumped into the Audi TTS N300 at Kyoto reverse without any qualifying but I didn't like that car's slippery tyres that much so I finished the race and moved to the Gr.4 race at Maggiore reverse. That one is a lot of fun so been repeatedly doing that one. :)

I started with the default DR E in my WRX Gr.4 and was not doing bad, set a lousy qualifying time of 2:22 or something and I had some struggling races to get used to the car and the track. Swapped to my Scirocco Gr.4 and I did better, set a new qualifying time of 2:20 or something. Some more races where I usually started and finished between 2nd and 6th or so. I hopped into my F-Type Gr.4 and set a 2:17 from 1 try. I thought I would now be able to start at pole once since most people in my groups have been doing poles with a time near that. And then suddenly I move up to D ranking, duh, why?

Now the most important thing are fun races and that is absolutely what I experienced today, I'm having an absolute blast in that Jag Gr.4. :) But I wonder why they move me up a rank so fast, it would have been fun to set a pole once or win a race in DR E before I got promoted to DR D. There is a whole bar of achievements for Sport mode and the only thing that's filling up is number of races, all the rest is at zero. :P

Is there a way to influence the groups you are formed with? Should I deliberately set a qualifying time where I'm performing sub par?

Youre DR lowers if u lose to drivers on the same DR level or worse. So you should drop back to E if you keep finishing last. So unless you purposely hang back to lower DR to score wins and poles below your own level its gonna be hard racking them up. I am very close to DR A and being put with all A's and B's (havent seen S yet) most of the time makes it hard to score wins or poles as i usually get put in lobby's with top10 players. Still able to finish on the podium for most races though. Wish they kept progress of that and maybe show full podium at the end of the race.

Youre DR lowers if u lose to drivers on the same DR level or worse. So you should drop back to E if you keep finishing last. So unless you purposely hang back to lower DR to score wins and poles below your own level its gonna be hard racking them up. I am very close to DR A and being put with all A's and B's (havent seen S yet) most of the time makes it hard to score wins or poles as i usually get put in lobby's with top10 players. Still able to finish on the podium for most races though. Wish they kept progress of that and maybe show full podium at the end of the race.

Well that is more or less the problem in D for me, I cannot win here but I always do finish in the top half of the time table. Heck even after a reckless spin in turn 1 and ending up last I could still fight back to 8th I think it was. That now seems to be my case in DR D, there are still more people below my level but always a few higher as well. At this rate I for sure will not drop to E again, more likely get promoted further to C (which I don't want... yet). But I certainly don't want to start deliberately finish last to drop a rank, that's just lame. Besides those fights from last towards the first half of the table are fun as well. :)

I don't know how those match makings work but I hope that at some point it will be possible to win. If the match making is 100% perfect then you would always finish at the middle of the time table as well. :) But alas, for the moment just concentrating on having fun. :) Going to give those Gr.3 races at Suzuka a try now since they seem to require tyre and fuel strategy.

Well that is more or less the problem in D for me, I cannot win here but I always do finish in the top half of the time table. Heck even after a reckless spin in turn 1 and ending up last I could still fight back to 8th I think it was. That now seems to be my case in DR D, there are still more people below my level but always a few higher as well. At this rate I for sure will not drop to E again, more likely get promoted further to C (which I don't want... yet). But I certainly don't want to start deliberately finish last to drop a rank, that's just lame. Besides those fights from last towards the first half of the table are fun as well. :)

I don't know how those match makings work but I hope that at some point it will be possible to win. If the match making is 100% perfect then you would always finish at the middle of the time table as well. :) But alas, for the moment just concentrating on having fun. :) Going to give those Gr.3 races at Suzuka a try now since they seem to require tyre and fuel strategy.
If the matchmaking works perfectly it should operate on several levels. People who win more often should be pitted against better and better competition regardless of their Q time, that's how you help prevent sandbagging. People who win less often should go into weaker and weaker lobbies. I also think Q times shold be updated if you run faster laps in the race to also prevent sandbagging the Q times.

Last edited:
If the matchmaking works perfectly it should operate on several levels. People who win more often should be pitted against better and better competition regardless of their Q time, that's how you help prevent sandbagging. People who win less often should go into weaker and weaker lobbies. I also think Q times shold be updated if you run faster laps in the race to also prevent sandbagging the Q times.
Yeah good point, that’s possible. Since this is my first day of playing online there is not much data on me yet. :) Did 1Gr.3 at Suzuka with my DR D and I started 17/20 and finished 15/16, pffft. I did get SR S though for being so nice and hanging in there. :)
A bit of a weird race setup as well, you don’t need to refuel at all, fuel mapping 1all the way. And the only tyre compound you can choose is RH, I mean if you implement fuel and tyre wear at least provide all 3 compounds.

Back to Gr.4, way more fun for today’s races.

No. In the race u can go faster because of slip stream.
A small obstacle to overcome. The most you could gain in racing conditions by drafting is measured in tenths, likely less than 5. Just make the laptime only update if you gain a half second or more although, IMO, this is a very minor concern.

A small obstacle to overcome. The most you could gain in racing conditions by drafting is measured in tenths, likely less than 5. Just make the laptime only update if you gain a half second or more although, IMO, this is a very minor concern.
5 tenths is huge when youre nearing top times. Sorry but its a terrible idea. People could purposely give eachother a tow in attempt to get times not possible on your own.

5 tenths is huge when youre nearing top times. Sorry but its a terrible idea. People could purposely give eachother a tow in attempt to get times not possible on your own.
That's why you use a 0.5 buffer before adjusting someone's times. Why would anyone want to artificially decrease their lap time to a level they could never get to on their own? It's totally counter productive. If push comes to shove I'd rather take a chance at giving someone a half second drop in laptimes due to the draft than have to race against guys that sandbagged by 3 or 4 seconds any day.

I’ve now won four races and am close to DR B and am SR S. Best thing to do first is just get your SR. I did it by just being really clean, even if I was tailended to last place. Every sector counts. This means you’ll be placed into races with safer drivers. Then try to get faster. I’ve gone almost back to DR E at one point. Basically keep at it. Also, if you are as fast as a driver in front, just wait. A lot of times I’ve overtaken 2-3 front runners simply waiting for them to make a mistake. See this video from yesterday. Turn 1 and up a place then later it happened again. I was not the 2nd fastest driver but finished 2nd.

Last edited:

I think it does operate like this. Sometimes though, the lack of queued up players will sometimes mess up the matchmaking.. Oftentimes I find myself in the top 8 in the starting grid. The top 10 will be S and A DR players and then everyone else is B rated.. The races usually end with the B drivers finishing where they started the top 9 being all changed up and that 1 S driver who just beats the whole field by like 10 seconds..

I think winning is overrated, nice if it happens but good clean racing is great fun with clean, fair drivers. If someone is a "bump car" driver I often let them go as they are driving beyond their skill level and will crash off later. If not, and they pull away they are just faster than you. Some of my favourite races were fighting for 9th and 10th place for the whole race.

I was going to post this exact issue!
I race clean SR rating S. But I don’t have time to perfect lap times on each track. My DR is D and it’s probably not getting much better for 2 reasons. I only play for a few races at a time so definitely not going to be the fastest but the main problem is I ALWAYS get matched up with drivers that are 5 seconds+ faster? If you don’t place well or win your stuck at D. I have a feeling racers with my lap times are all SR C or D. Hard to believe there isn’t a handful of SR S orA drivers with average lap times. Oh well still love the game!!

I agree with everything but tuning. The best drivers will also tune there cars and probably better than most. Will only make things worse. I want to know I got beat by the driver and not by the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back