The Five Ugliest Formula One Cars

I couldn't believe what number 3 was!!!!! :P

The inclusion of the McLaren M7C really caught me off guard. Many considered the high wings to be cool in their day, and they weren't a failure because they didn't work. They actually worked too well.

Mounting the wings directly onto the suspension had the desired effect of gluing the car to the track in the turns. Some teams had wings that were adjustable by the driver (level on the straights & angled in the corners).

Unfortunately, the wings generated such force that the spindly uprights couldn't handle the loads they were subjected to and they'd often break - which led to some pretty horrific crashes. It's those crashes that led to the banning of high wings. Designers back then just simply didn't understand the forces they were dealing with.

I keep saying this: Bianchi's death was due to FIA's mistake taking off the yellow flag too soon, not due to the lack of head protection system.

I keep saying this: Bianchi's death was due to FIA's mistake taking off the yellow flag too soon, not due to the lack of head protection system.
What's that got to do with this thread?
also, there were double yellows at the time.

Why exactly?

Assuming you mean the Brawn car
- the fat nose looking like a flaccid...
- general snowplough aesthetic of 2009 cars
- The paintjob and logos randomly slapped all around
- most importantly - THE GODDAMN FLUORESCENT YELLOW WHEEL COVERS - who ever thought this was a good idea?

may have been fast, but it was plain ugly. Granted not enough to be in the top 5 with some of these monstrosities :)))

edit: to avoid a triple post: 1978 ATS HS1
JPJ ATS F1 1978.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
=
Assuming you mean the Brawn car
- the fat nose looking like a flaccid...
- general snowplough aesthetic of 2009 cars
- The paintjob and logos randomly slapped all around
- most importantly - THE GODDAMN FLUORESCENT YELLOW WHEEL COVERS - who ever thought this was a good idea?

Flat nose looks like that to you, there were plenty of cars on the grid with similar shape, so either you didn't like 2009-2011 rules package or you specifically have it out for a single car based on a number of shot in the dark reasons. This statement also goes toward the snowplow look you claim. The livery is random how? I saw logos placed where they would be on any other F1 car, and really the car is quite under the radar with sponsor support and placement of those logos to begin with to be all that random...

Fluorescent paint was a bit out there but in a field of corporate white, red and black/grey it was a nice change and helped give distinction. I mean they could have done similar to HAAS with the VF-16, but that would have been more boring to me. All in all I've seen some awful F1 cars, but the BGP-01 has never in my eyes and many others I've seen here talk about F1 been something that is anywhere close to deserving being on the ugliest top 5 f1 car list. Hell not even top 50 could I see it.

Back