The Five Ugliest Formula One Cars

Most of these don't look as ugly as the current crop of F1 cars, which in my opinion are the ugliest I've ever seen with their coat hangars, vertical tails and front wings festooned with what looks like packing material - and to think they are going to look even worse next year!

Oh wonderful, the knee jerk reaction device will be forced on for next year. Shame because I love the look of the 2017 cars, looking more like the science experiments I loved from 2007 and 2008 and less like the boring, underwhelming cars from before.

I'm still under the impression this device is NOT the answer as the previous incidents in F1 still would've happened (and despite the increase in width, I do not want to be the person in that car should a lose tire unfortunately come tumbling down on my car and sandwiching itself neatly in the space unprotected by the Halo and still snapping my neck like a damn twig) so I'd love to hear the excuse for this (even though I'm expecting nothing beyond "Because we can")

Referring to the Caterham the article says that "The idea with the nose is to promote as much airflow as possible underneath the car to try and suck it to the tarmac."

I thought the idea behind the nose was to send as little air as possible under the car to create a vacuum to help positive air pressure on top of the car more easily push the car into the ground.

Hello, this is the McLaren MP4-10 speaking. I noticed you made a list of the ugliest F1 cars ever, but you seem to have forgotten my existence. What gives?

mansell_mclaren.jpg

The Tyrell didn't make my list. I loved that car. Had the AFX version as a kid. You must have been holding a beer while typing this up. :sly:

Ferrari F2012 deserves a place in this list, just look at that ridiculous nose. It's like someone slapping an Ikea table on front of an F1 car.
ferrari-f1-car-2012.jpg

Brawn BGP001 is a honorary mention

I agree with the March 751 but where are:

Teapot Ligier JS5
1995 McLaren MP4/10
Cosworth 4WD
Eifelland F1

I agree with the March 751 but where are:

Teapot Ligier JS5
1995 McLaren MP4/10
Cosworth 4WD
Eifelland F1
Although I liked the high-airbox cars circa 1974/75, the 'teapot' Ligier was the ugliest of the lot.

As for the Cosworth, if any F1 car ever looked like it was designed only using a ruler, this is the winner.

The 1977 McLaren (the full name escapes me), otherwise known by me as the McLaren High Speed Cheese Grater.

The JS19 Ligier-Talbot always looked off to me,
8579131847_aa9301bc77_b.jpg

in only ran at the end of 1982 - which was hardly the best looking year for cars but this one stood out for bad looks - wonky livery and it looks s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out - but it had a Matra V12 - so when you close your eyes, all is well again.

Last edited:
It's a shame to see the FW26 in every single 'ugly F1 car' list. It certainly wasn't beautiful, but it looked menacing and aggressive. It was a nice change from the boring cars from the same era.

If I can add some cars to this list, it would be all of the cars from the 2009 season. They looked more like snow ploughs than race cars. :ill:

I'm not looking forward to the halo next year either. I guess the STR12 will be the last great-looking F1 car for quite some time.

How can you say the halo ruins the aesthetics of the 2018 cars before even seeing a final version of the halo on an actual 2018 car?
You think adding wings and allowing the teams to take advantage of it for aero reasons is gonna help? Yeah, no.

Last edited:
I couldn't believe what number 3 was!!!!! :P

@Liquid did you ever consider doing another of your (excellent) 'best looking F1 cars' poll series, but with not-so-best looking cars instead?

The entire 2014 field should be in the list with those stupid dicks dangling on the front. Don't call them fingers. Everyone saw that they were male dangly bits. And I'm pretty confident that the teams deliberately designed them like that to get rid of them ASAP.

The entire 2014 field should be in the list with those stupid dicks dangling on the front. Don't call them fingers. Everyone saw that they were male dangly bits. And I'm pretty confident that the teams deliberately designed them like that to get rid of them ASAP.
The good ol' chode noses. :P

I couldn't believe what number 3 was!!!!! :P

@Liquid did you ever consider doing another of your (excellent) 'best looking F1 cars' poll series, but with not-so-best looking cars instead?

I don't think there's as much merit or noteworthyness in such a series but someone else is welcome to do it.

You think adding wings and allowing the teams to take advantage of it for aero reasons is gonna help? Yeah, no.
You'd be shocked, but that's actually not what I think.

I think that the teams will find a way to blend the halos into the color scheme of the car and make them more aesthetically pleasing. Sure, it's not the best looking thing ever, but it's definitely far from the worst.

One thing that'll help is not being a simple bolt-on job. It won't be beautiful but it'll be a hell of a lot better than it is now.

Edit: tree'd

Ferrari F2012 deserves a place in this list, just look at that ridiculous nose. It's like someone slapping an Ikea table on front of an F1 car.
ferrari-f1-car-2012.jpg

Brawn BGP001 is a honorary mention

Why exactly?

CT05 was the only car the list I agreed with, nearly every Caterham/Team Lotus car was awful bar 2010 and 11.

Though the CT05 did look good in side profile and rear 3/4ths.
Kamui_Kobayashi_2014_Bahrain.jpg

Last edited:

Here's a BRM P201, a mid-70s F1 car that is far uglier than the P34 that got put on the list. :yuck:

I dunno...there's "ugly" and then "so ugly it becomes cool". I think this might qualify, much in the way the AK-47 is "ugly" but has a very cool feel. I actually kinda like this car.

Back