The Forgotten Cars Thread

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 1,346 comments
While I was at the Newcastle 500, the Highway patrol had a display booth. An old Cordia Turbo was used in the late 1980s. Forgive the pic quality
IMG_20171124_081015.jpg

Then, this morning, I flick on the TV. The Woman in Red is on. Gene Wilder drives this
images

Mitsubishi Tredia/Tredia Turbo.
Haven't seen one since the year of that movie(1984).

Kingfisher Sprint.

p08.jpeg
p1.jpeg

I appreciate classic Minis, but even more than them, I appreciate the countless projects developed using Mini components. Some were more successful than others--my go-to example being the Broadspeed GT--and some were more attractive than others...such as the Ecurie de Dez, the Ogle SX1000 and the DEEP-Sanderson 301. I came across this one several years ago at a time when I was particularly enamored by the Mini Marcos. It in fact is not related to the Marcos itself, apart from them both being loosely based on a standard Mini, but instead was inspired by the Mini Jem, which was itself an attempt to replace the Dizzy DART.

I was reminded of this one while trying to find a way to sway another thread from race cars, as I am always trying to do. :sly:

I suspect @Nessy and @Legro may appreciate this post.

Been reading old car magazines and was reminded of the Nissan Hypermini from 1999:

hypermini1.jpg

hypermini5.jpg

hypermini3.jpg

hypermini4.jpg

(First two pics are of the 1997 concept). Was Nissan's first serious attempt at an electric car before it set down the path that eventually ended up with the Leaf. What I didn't remember from reading about it at the time was that Nissan actually put it into small-volume production and made over 200 of them.

As you'd expect from a late-90s electric car neither range nor performance are anything special - 70 miles, and 62mph - but it looks like a remarkably complete product - properly trimmed, fairly sensible styling within the confines of the unusual proportions; it's between a first- and second-gen Smart Fortwo in length, but narrower and a little taller.

What surprised me when reading up on it is that it's actually not a great deal heavier than the Smart either (and lighter than the latest one) at 840kg, despite the battery pack. It's very difficult to find a size for the pack but a few calculations suggest it's around 18 kWh, which is similar to the current electric Smart Fortwo (which weighs over 1000kg). Aluminium construction can be thanked for that.

Given they were actually sold to the public, I imagine a few are still running around Japan. Which gives me a strange desire to try and import one. Electric cars are fairly unique in that they produce no more emissions regardless of how old they are...

Oh, and for fun, the original late 90s/early 00s Hypermini website is still live, in all its basic glory.

In seeking images of a couple other AMCs, I rediscovered their Gremlin G-II concept of 1974.

379869.jpg
335046.jpg

It features an odd mashup of styling themes that really don't work together--almost as though someone half-assed a '50s sportscar replica from a semi-sporty '70s econobox--and yet it intrigues me.

It features an odd mashup of styling themes that really don't work together--almost as though someone half-assed a '50s sportscar replica from a semi-sporty '70s econobox--and yet it intrigues me.
Really? Personally, I think the design works, though it gives me kinda a 1970s Nissan/Datsun Z vibe from the back.

Really? Personally, I think the design works, though it gives me kinda a 1970s Nissan/Datsun Z vibe from the back.
Yeah. The compound curves of the front arches and rear bulges clash with the hard-edged nose and greenhouse. It might work with a little more definition and creasing of the contoured features. To my eye, they really hit against the beltline crease beneath the windows.

That recessed rear garnish screams Z though.

In seeking images of a couple other AMCs, I rediscovered their Gremlin G-II concept of 1974.

379869.jpg
335046.jpg

I agree the pronounced rear fenders don't work, but this is also clearly the design influence for the 1979-1983 AMC Spirit.

379869.jpg
335046.jpg

I might be drunk again but I really like that. The more I look at it the more it grows on me :)

I might be drunk again
Do what I do and get in the habit of putting the bottle away after every pour (we have a fridge/freezer in the garage)--if you're too deep to go pour another, you won't get any deeper.

;)

Edit: Based on the "like"s this has gotten, one suspects there are a number of drinkers present.

:P

Last edited:
Rediscovered this leafing through an old car magazine.

6a00d8341c083153ef01053626680d970b-800wi.jpg

It was called the Mindset. Hails from about 2009, range-extended EV drivetrain, circa 900kg. Those wheels were 22 inches tall, but only 185-section tyres. Disappeared, predictably, when the company couldn't find funding for it.

800px-_Eagle_Summit_LX_wagon_--_03-16-2012_1.jpg

Saw one of these (Eagle Summit) on the road--in the lane next to me--a couple hours ago. It was red with black below the trim and appeared to be in immaculate condition whose only obvious flaw in terms of condition was a lack of wheel covers. I was astonished and very nearly attempted to signal the driver (a man who appeared to be in his 70s) to turn off the road for a chat.

The E28 is hands down the most forgotten generation of all the M5s.

No, it really isn't. It's the granddaddy of them all. Amongst carnuts, everyone knows it exists.

Edit

This isn't some dull turd that only gets remembered when someone else thinks about it, or spots onr in the wild.

To be honest I'd say the E34 is more forgotten out of all the M5's, as the E28 is definitely the "grandaddy" of the lot, whereas the E34 seems to lurk in the shadows, least that seems to be the case when discussed with fellow car nuts. Shame really as I prefer the E34 as being one of the best gens of M5 for me.

No, it really isn't. It's the granddaddy of them all. Amongst carnuts, everyone knows it exists.

Edit

This isn't some dull turd that only gets remembered when someone else thinks about it, or spots onr in the wild.
I never said it's a dull turd nor did I say that car nuts don't know about it... I just feel like this generation receives the least attention. The reasons it is this way are that it was the slowest M5, least exciting visually, and rarest.

@Michelin Man I'd argue that use to be the case, but not anymore. E34s are seeing pretty dramatic increases in resale value, and are much more popular among enthusiasts; they are customized frequently.

Depends on where your from, can't speak for the USA, but that seems to be the case over here. Least so from what I've gathered, but what do I know.

Mitsubishi Proudia

Yes, Mitsubishi also got in on the movement of Japanese manufacturers making big, comfy land yacht sedans of the 1990s. The Mitsubishi Proudia, Mitsubishi's first high-end luxury sedan, was developed in 1999 by both Mitsubishi and Hyundai. Mitsubishi decided they had wanted a car to compete with the Toyota Celsior and Nissan Cima, hence the making of the Proudia. Standard powertrain was a 3.5L V6 making 236 hp; there was an optional 4.7L V8 that cranked out 280 horses. Unfortunately, it was one of the worst flops in all of Mitsubishi's history. This was due to it being front-wheel drive, having styling very similar to a taxicab, no image, and it also steered like a brick and had the reliability of a typical Korean car of the time. Mitsubishi hoped to sell 3,600 Proudias in it's first year, but sales were so horrific that only 759 actually ended up being sold. The brand lost so much money off of this car that it was forced to remove it from the market after only fifteen months of production.

Strangely enough, the Proudia made a comeback, eleven years later. This time, it's a rebadged Nissan Fuga.

I'd forget the Hyundai Elantra coupe existed, until I'd see one on the road. The coupe really blends in with the sedan, hard to tell the difference when seeing one on the road.
2013_hyundai_elantra-coupe_coupe_base_fq_oem_2_1280.jpg

I'd forget the Hyundai Elantra coupe existed, until I'd see one on the road. The coupe really blends in with the sedan, hard to tell the difference when seeing one on the road.
2013_hyundai_elantra-coupe_coupe_base_fq_oem_2_1280.jpg
Wait, a coupe version exists? I never heard of it before.

I remember seeing a red Renault Twingo collecting dust not far away from home like a couple months ago. I guess they sold few of these here and most if not all just ended up in the scrap or the junkyard like most not so popular brands from the era over here.

I remember seeing a red Renault Twingo collecting dust not far away from home like a couple months ago. I guess they sold few of these here and most if not all just ended up in the scrap or the junkyard like most not so popular brands from the era over here.

Let me tell you about a sad story of a Twingo:

Saw one of these (Eagle Summit) on the road--in the lane next to me--a couple hours ago. It was red with black below the trim and appeared to be in immaculate condition whose only obvious flaw in terms of condition was a lack of wheel covers.

I own one of these, except mine is the Mitsubishi variant (Expo LRV) and not in immaculate condition. I've only ever spotted a singular example other than mine, though.
Bad picture quality, but it's green over silver.

20170625_200755.jpg

Falcon F7
wlbmnoutevektzar6rus.jpg
Ok, I was chatting with my friend, and I made a question to him: What's the most mysterious cars ever made? And he said:
  • Pontiac Aztec (Known)
  • Audi A1 Sedan (What?)
  • Falcon F7
This car is... Very unknown, I didn't knew his existence, but, there you have it, the Falcon F7.

Back