The Forgotten Cars Thread

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 1,350 comments
2010-Lincoln-MKT-Wagon-Base-4dr-Front-wheel-Drive-Photo-10.png

I've seen maybe three of these in the nearly eight years since it was released.
Nowadays, Lincoln over here aren't that popular apart from maybe the discontinued Town Car. I think I have seen this or another similar model before but no were as popular as the caddy lineup.

The North American Nissan Quest was definitely lost in the competition, honestly didn't realized that it was gone for a while.
2011-nissan-quest-drive-nissan-quest-review-car-and-driver-photo-377652-s-original.jpg
I remember seeing (I assume) an American with one of these and I got confused "Nissan makes a minivan now!?"

The Saleen S7 replacement that never was - the S5 Raptor
View attachment 685943
I was legit hyped for this thing and read stuff about it YEARS ago. I have no idea how I came across it, but the Saleen name sounded familiar to me, as I had driven the Saleen S7 in TDU. The car is almost 10 years old...:scared: Forgot all about until I saw it pop up on my own thread, Car Association. I was like, oh, it's that Saleen concept designed to replace the S7...

Edit: I remember watching a video about this car years ago, I actually think my dad found it...
This one sure rings a bell for me because I drove that thing in FM4, and strangely enough it never appeared again in the current Forza titles.

A couple or more Chevys that we've seen to blip by.
Monza (1975-1980)
pictures_chevrolet_monza_1975_1.jpg

Built on the same platform with the Vega as it shares its wheelbase, width, and 140ci I4. It shown to be the sporty successor to the Vega as it debuted as a single model 2+2 hatchback & it is 4 inches longer and 180 lb more than the Vega.

Interestingly, they attempted to give the Monza a GM built Wankel rotary engine in the 1975 model, the same plan they did with the Vega.
Vega RC2-206 Wankel
%2774_GM_Rotary_engine.jpg

Unfortunately just like the failed attempt with the Vega, the motor suffered from rotary issues & poor fuel consumption which is one of the reasons why this stillborn engine never saw the light of its day.

Back to the Monza, as it used the Vega's underpinnings it was offered the aforementioned 2+2 hatch, the Towne coupe and the wagon.
1024px-1976_Monza_Coupe.jpg

1280px-1978_Monza_wagon.jpg

The subtle thing about the wagon is that it uses the same exact rear end from the Vega Kammback.
1978-chevy-monza-wagon-4.jpg

chevrolet_vega_1972_pictures_1.jpg

Then there's the Spyder which is the sportiest model of the Monza featured a two-barrel I4 as standard, a floor console, and a F41 suspension package.
images_chevrolet_monza_1976_1.jpg

The Mirage model was made by Michigan Auto Techniques, an aftermarket company contracted by GM. This one shown here is painted in white with red and blue racing stripes along the length of the car's top, it also features flared body panels, and a special airdam and spoiler. Only 4,097 were made.
chevrolet_monza_1977_wallpapers_2_1024x768.jpg

pictures_chevrolet_monza_1.jpg

Aside from the blatant Vega underpinnings, the Monza had some weight to it that it differentiates from its sibling. It had a bigger selection of engines than the Vega, ranging from inline fours to V6s and three small block V8s, something the Vega wishes it had.
3389_1975_Monza-08_low_res.jpg

That ad explains it all. It was the smallest V8 engine ever offered by Chevrolet, featuring a Rochester two-barrel carburetor and generates only 110 hp which would make it the least powerful Chevy V8 in existence. It also offered the 5.0L & 5.7L for California and high altitude places met the stricter emissions requirements. 125 hp were the only numbers that tiny 5.7 made which makes it a joke for many muscle car fans and die-hard Chevy fanboys. But since Chevy motors are easily tuneable and interchangeable, models like the Monza open the door for some really outrageous engine swaps.

The Monza was a formidable player in motorsports as they were actually a tough force to be reckoned with in IMSA and the ASSC.
wallpapers_chevrolet_monza_1975_1_1024x768.jpg

800px-DeKonMonza.jpg

These IMSA GT Series Monzas were fitted with Corvette engines and the whole body was made from scratch. One high profile example was driven by then triple Le Mans & 2-time Daytona 24hrs winner Al Holbert as he discovered the car's potential. At the end of the 1975 season, he ordered one all made by Lee Dykstra & American-based Australian Trans-Am driver Horst Kwech at Dekon Engineering. Chassis No. 1008 was used for the 1976 season. It went on to win 3 Camel GT titles as they were unbeatable in 1976-1977. There were mostly seen until 1986. They were also successful in the Australian racing circuit in the late 70's through the 80's with some high profile owners.
Monza-Purcell_BobJane-10b.jpg

2010-Lincoln-MKT-Wagon-Base-4dr-Front-wheel-Drive-Photo-10.png

I've seen maybe three of these in the nearly eight years since it was released.
They're pretty common in suburban NJ. Since I see so many of these, I never would have guessed the sell less than 10,000 units per year.

A couple or more Chevys that we've seen to blip by.
Monza (1975-1980)
pictures_chevrolet_monza_1975_1.jpg

I'm always surprised at how similar the Opel Monza is in side profile to the Chevy version, even though they're not related in any way. The FR platform the Opel was built on was in use between 1966 and 2007! and underpinned all the big Opel/Vauxhalls of that era as well as the big Holdens down under.

chevrolet-monza-5.jpg

1978_Opel_Monza_(_A1_)_001_5255.jpg

*Edit*

There's also more than a passing resemblance to the Opel Manta 'B'.

Size-wise the Chevy Monza sits squarely inbetween the bigger Opel Monza and the smaller Manta.

opel_manta-b-1975-1988_r8.jpg

Last edited:
I think a lot of people forget that the Gremlin actually continued even after AMC killed the Gremlin. They still needed a subcompact, so they reskinned it and sold it two body styles (hatchback and kammback) and two drivetrains (2WD and 4WD). The slick looking Spirit hatchback (sold from 1979 to 1983) was the basis for the last AMX, sold in 1979 and 1980 (inline-6 only in 1980). With 4WD, it was sold as the Eagle SX-4. The more upright Kammback was sold as a Spirit and, with 4WD, as the Eagle Kammback. The Eagle SX-4 and Kammback only lasted three years: 1980-1982. The Spirit was finally replaced by the Renault Alliance/Encore siblings as AMC strengthened their ties with Renault. AMC continued to sell the Eagle sedan and wagon until 1988 when Chrysler bought them out and killed all AMC passenger car production.

1981 AMC Spirit DL sedan

1979 AMC Spirit GT V8

1979 AMC AMX

1980 AMC Eagle Kammback

1982 AMC Eagle SX-4

Acura RDX, first generation

Back tract to 2010. These things were everywhere in suburban parts of New Jersey. They were a common choice for many families, due to their modern shape, and being priced less then it's competitors (Lexus RX, BMW X3, etc). Oddly enough, they are almost completely gone now.​

Man...that is certainly true. They used to be everywhere a couple years ago and now they've disappeared. Then again, Massachusetts was flooded with them and I wouldn't doubt I'd still be able to see quite a few there. (Acuras are everywhere there) Was interesting that there was a turbo model too.

Man...that is certainly true. They used to be everywhere a couple years ago and now they've disappeared.
Probably got shipped to Russia. I see at least one first gen RDX every week. And that's in a country where Acura isn't officially a thing.

While I was leaving my university, I spotted this:

Mitsubishi Pajero IO

01_l3.jpg

It waa really small in comparison to a current gen large Pajero, even my 2002 RAV4 is bigger. I remembered a similar one being in GT2 which never made the next gen jump like plenty of other GT2's cars.

hqdefault.jpg

I remembered this car by your post then I forgot about the car for the rest of the day until I spotted one of these being driven around by I assume...an American. Then I remembered your post and came here.

I think I posted this several times before.

I think these two are worth looking at:
1990-Oldsmobile-Cutlass-Calais-S-Quad-442-Two-Door-Coupe-UNC1990-0025.jpg
1992-Oldsmobile-Achieva-SCX.jpg

The Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Quad-442 and Achieva SCX don't get the recognition they deserve, IMO as they were more than just body kits on early '90s GM econoboxes. Introduced in 1984 powereing the crazy Aerotech streamliner the Quad 4 in itself was an important engine, being the first in-house DOHC engine design from GM, and it made impressive power and torque numbers for an NA I4; the king of the hill W41 version put out 190hp and 160lb-ft. The name comes from the 4 cylinder (Quad) configuration, and the 4 valves per cylinder (4) head design (there was also a SOHC version dubbed the Quad OHC, due to only having 2 valves per cylinder). The Quad 4 also marked the last engine designed and built by an individual GM division; fitting, as the N-body platform was also designed by Olds to replace the much hated X-body. Fast forward into the turn of the '90s, and Olds wanted to have some credibility for their engine and platform; so they decided to join the IMSA Firehawk championship. Firehawk was a series centering around modified production cars running on shaved Firestone Firehawk street tires, with a wide variety of models spread throughout its 3 classes from Camaros, 944s, MR2s, to Saturn SCs, and even Taurus SHOs. The Calais Quad-442 made its debut in 1990, being sold in limited numbers to the public to homologate it specifically for Firehawk. It came bearing either the standard LG0 High Output Quad 4 good for 180hp, or you could spring for the aforementioned W41 which had a TRW designed valvetrain complete with more aggressive cams, less restrictive exhaust, forged pistons, and a new PROM to allow it to rev all the way to 7,250 RPM. A Getrag/Muncie 5-speed was the only transmission choice, with a shorter final drive and no overdrive gear. 1991 saw a big breakthrough with car #0 taking first in its class at the 24h Watkins Glen endurance race, leading second by 4 laps-the most of all 3 class winners that year.
25740905040_f2011aafb2_b.jpg

1992 brought the introduction of the new Achieva, and with it a few changes to the formula. The W41 was now the standard engine for the performance model, now dubbed the SCX. The SCX received the same 5-speed as before, now sporting an upgraded clutch; 14in wheels were unique to the SCX, as was the adjustable FX3 suspension (with Sport, Soft, and Auto modes), a 34mm wider rear track, and BFGoodrich tires. The cars destined to be turned into racers were given RPO C41, which tossed out A/C, and put in extra oil coolers and a Torsen LSD. The Achieva built on the success of the Calais, with Chuck Hemmingson taking first not only in the championship, but every race of the 1992 Firehawk season (in his class at least). Not only that, but lightning struck twice at that year's Watkins Glen 24h, with both Olds and 1991's winners taking the class win. It also won the SCCA Touring Championship from 1992 to 1994. So much for an "under Achieva", huh?
yes.jpg

In total, 1146 SCXs were made in 1992, while only 500 were built in 1993. With that, performance production cars from Oldsmobile came to a close. The LG0 soldiered on for another year before getting dropped in 1994, with the entire line of Quad 4s getting rebranded as Twin Cam, and throwing performance out the window along with becoming a corporate engine. While many think of the classic 442s when it comes to fast Oldsmobiles, these represent how Oldsmobile had at the very least tried to adapt to the times with a smaller FWD performance car. After the SCX was gone, all we got were these:
2002_oldsmobile_intrigue-pic-31370-640x480.jpeg

im-502502225.jpg

The desire to try at a performance car was there, but all that came of it were these frankly lame concepts. So, while they may not be the best, they're arguably just as important to Olds history as any of their forefathers.

Last edited:
The Quad 4 (and the Iron Duke from Pontiac) have been very popular with hot rodders for the last 20 years, because they look a lot like the old Offenhauser 4-cylinder Indy car engines that ruled open wheel and dirt track racing in the US from the 1930s to the 1970s.

I think the only thing I could remember about this "appliance" of a car is that they used a song by The Cars in a commercial. That's it. Nothing more than an ugly, dull crossover that looks like any other one of it's time.

....and I found it. Whoopee.

The Quad 4 (and the Iron Duke from Pontiac) have been very popular with hot rodders for the last 20 years, because they look a lot like the old Offenhauser 4-cylinder Indy car engines that ruled open wheel and dirt track racing in the US from the 1930s to the 1970s.
Hmm, never realized the 'Duke had a following in hot rodding. And it never ceases to amuse me how an engine that was supposed to be so advanced for its day has gained a following because it looks like a much older engine :lol:. At least the Q4 is at least somewhat appreciated, though if I found an original W41 car I'd be loathe to use it for an engine swap.

I think these two are worth looking at:
View attachment 692736 View attachment 692737
The Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Quad-442 and Achieva SCX don't get the recognition they deserve, IMO as they were more than just body kits on early '90s GM econoboxes. Introduced in 1984 powereing the crazy Aerotech streamliner the Quad 4 in itself was an important engine, being the first in-house DOHC engine design from GM, and it made impressive power and torque numbers for an NA I4; the king of the hill W41 version put out 190hp and 160lb-ft. The name comes from the 4 cylinder (Quad) configuration, and the 4 valves per cylinder (4) head design (there was also a SOHC version dubbed the Quad OHC, due to only having 2 valves per cylinder). The Quad 4 also marked the last engine designed and built by an individual GM division; fitting, as the N-body platform was also designed by Olds to replace the much hated X-body. Fast forward into the turn of the '90s, and Olds wanted to have some credibility for their engine and platform; so they decided to join the IMSA Firehawk championship. Firehawk was a series centering around modified production cars running on shaved Firestone Firehawk street tires, with a wide variety of models spread throughout its 3 classes from Camaros, 944s, MR2s, to Saturn SCs, and even Taurus SHOs. The Calais Quad-442 made its debut in 1990, being sold in limited numbers to the public to homologate it specifically for Firehawk. It came bearing either the standard LG0 High Output Quad 4 good for 180hp, or you could spring for the aforementioned W41 which had a TRW designed valvetrain complete with more aggressive cams, less restrictive exhaust, forged pistons, and a new PROM to allow it to rev all the way to 7,250 RPM. A Getrag/Muncie 5-speed was the only transmission choice, with a shorter final drive and no overdrive gear. 1991 saw a big breakthrough with car #0 taking first in its class at the 24h Watkins Glen endurance race, leading second by 4 laps-the most of all 3 class winners that year.
View attachment 692758
1992 brought the introduction of the new Achieva, and with it a few changes to the formula. The W41 was now the standard engine for the performance model, now dubbed the SCX. The SCX received the same 5-speed as before, now sporting an upgraded clutch; 14in wheels were unique to the SCX, as was the adjustable FX3 suspension (with Sport, Soft, and Auto modes), a 34mm wider rear track, and BFGoodrich tires. The cars destined to be turned into racers were given RPO C41, which tossed out A/C, and put in extra oil coolers and a Torsen LSD. The Achieva built on the success of the Calais, with Chuck Hemmingson taking first not only in the championship, but every race of the 1992 Firehawk season (in his class at least). Not only that, but lightning struck twice at that year's Watkins Glen 24h, with both Olds and 1991's winners taking the class win. It also won the SCCA Touring Championship from 1992 to 1994. So much for an "under Achieva", huh?View attachment 692763
In total, 1146 SCXs were made in 1992, while only 500 were built in 1993. With that, performance production cars from Oldsmobile came to a close. The LG0 soldiered on for another year before getting dropped in 1994, with the entire line of Quad 4s getting rebranded as Twin Cam, and throwing performance out the window along with becoming a corporate engine. While many think of the classic 442s when it comes to fast Oldsmobiles, these represent how Oldsmobile had at the very least tried to adapt to the times with a smaller FWD performance car. After the SCX was gone, all we got were these:
View attachment 692862
View attachment 692863
The desire to try at a performance car was there, but all that came of it were these frankly lame concepts. So, while they may not be the best, they're arguably just as important to Olds history as any of their forefathers.

That H.O. Quad 4 also made its way to the Chevrolet Beretta GTZ, Oldsmobile Cutlass Surpreme, and Pontiac Grand Am. It was quite a capable motor at that time, 190hp was quite impressive for 1990, and it made them the most powerful & quickest FWDs well before Honda took the all-powerful crown of the fastest & powerful naturally aspirated FWD cars with the Type-Rs and S2000.
1436313074435176109.jpg

1990_oldsmobile_cutlass-supreme_sedan_international_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

1991_Pontiac_Grand_Am_2689.jpg

Cadilac XLR, remind sof Midnight Club and Driver SF. Anyways, just saw one of these on traffic. Never seen one before in front of my eyes.

carspotter57_BbsDUb7gdhO.jpg

It doesn't look that bad TBH but I heard that the engine (forgot the exact name) was bad, is it really tho?

Speaking of forgettable and rare cars, this is the first time I ever saw a Toyota Alphard locally. Last time I remember this car was in Georgia as a RHD JDM spec.
Screenshot_2017-11-21-11-37-17.png

Can't believe Toyota actually went and attempted to sell it here.

-----
Eagle Talon TSI

a59d17f1a0d997e00efb1f880b5302af--eagle-talon-car-manufacturers.jpg

1991-eagle-talon-tsi-turbo-fwd-dsm-1.jpg

It doesn't look that bad TBH but I heard that the engine (forgot the exact name) was bad, is it really tho?

The XLR, as SiriusR said, was based on the same platform as the C5 Corvette. Cadillac decided to use their Northstar V8 in the car, though, which (I believe) was originally designed to be a transverse-mounted engine. I've heard that Northstar engines like to eat up head gaskets, and I can't imagine the supercharged Northstar in the XLR-V helped that matter much.

@Tornado Probably knows a lot more about the car than I do.

Latest Posts

Back