The Forgotten Cars Thread

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 1,350 comments
Chrysler J platform. Chrysler downsized their large cars just like everyone else in the late'70s, but with far less success. The J platform replaced the long-running B platform that included the original Cordoba and Charger. It was closely related to the A platform that underpinned the Volare and Aspen. In the first year, both the new Cordoba and the Mirada could be had with the fuel-sipping 225 Slant Six, as well as the 318 and 360 V8s. Demand for the 360 was negligible so it was dropped after 1980. The Imperial only came with the 318. The Cordoba LS was supposed to be a new 300 but Chrysler got cold feet and decided to call it the LS instead. They were all introduced at a time when sales of personal luxury cars were experiencing a sales slump. GM and Ford could afford to continue to update their cars and saw a strong sale rebound in the mid- to late-'80s. Chrysler was on the edge of bankruptcy so had to drop them after the 1983 model year. I think they're actually rather attractive, better looking than the GM and FoMoCo offerings of the time. They're crisp and clean and well-proportioned.

1980-1983 Dodge Mirada

1980-1983 Chrysler Cordoba

1980-1981 Chrysler Cordoba LS

1981-1983 Imperial

Last edited:
I was looking at older Volvos yesterday, and the 780 Coupé caught me eye. I had completely forgotten about it. I remember the 1978-1981 262C, the first collaboration between Volvo and Bertone.

1978 Volvo 262C Coupé Bertone

But I had forgotten that Volvo went back to Bertone for the 780 Coupé, built for the 1986 to 1990 model years. Engines available were the 2.0 turbo four, 2.3 turbo four, 2.8 V6 and 2.4 turbo diesel four. Gearboxes were 4-speed manual or automatic. I think it's elegant, a lovely coupé with the added bonus of still being rear-drive when everyone else had switched to front-drive.

1986-1990 Volvo 780 Coupé

Chrysler J platform. Chrysler downsized their large cars just like everyone else in the late'70s, but with far less success. The J platform replaced the long-running B platform that included the original Cordoba and Charger. It was closely related to the A platform that underpinned the Volare and Aspen. In the first year, both the new Cordoba and the Mirada could be had with the fuel-sipping 225 Slant Six, as well as the 318 and 360 V8s. Demand for the 360 was negligible so it was dropped after 1980. The Imperial only came with the 318. The Cordoba LS was supposed to be a new 300 but Chrysler got cold feet and decided to call it the LS instead. They were all introduced at a time when sales of personal luxury cars were experiencing a sales slump. GM and Ford could afford to continue to update their cars and saw a strong sale rebound in the mid- to late-'80s. Chrysler was on the edge of bankruptcy so had to drop them after the 1983 model year. I think they're actually rather attractive, better looking than the GM and FoMoCo offerings of the time. They're crisp and clean and well-proportioned.

1980-1983 Dodge Mirada

1980-1983 Chrysler Cordoba

1980-1981 Chrysler Cordoba LS

1981-1983 Imperial
As much as I love a bustleback, that Mirada was a damn fine example of styling for the personal luxury coupe segment. Handsome wheels too.

Chevy's first compact truck is barely seen anymore.
LUV ("Light Utility Vehicle") 1972-1982
041918-1977-Chevrolet-LUV-Mighty-Mike-1.jpg

chevrolet-luv-1979-5.jpg

chevrolet-luv-13.jpg

1981-chevrolet-luv-diesel-1.JPG

-x260.jpeg.jpg
90113141990903.jpg

The MN12 generation Cougar and Thunderbird seem to get overshadowed by the Fox Mustangs and P71 Crown Vics, even though I would argue that they're the better car than either of the former choices. Ford moved both onto their own platform, while also sticking with a traditional rear-drive layout that GM and Chrysler had dropped for most passenger cars at the time. They also gave them some rather sophisticated suspension, with a short-long arm setup in front and IRS in the back; there was also the Super Coupe and XR7 models that featured supercharged and intercooled V6s (though the XR7 only got it in 1989 and '90, then switched to the V8 due to poor sales) that made heaps of torque and a decent 210 horsepower. The supercharged engine also set itself apart by having a forged crank, more aggressive cam profile (on manual transmission models), and better flowing cylinder heads. I also like that they both have their own unique touches to set them apart, most notably with the fastback vs. formal rooflines. They are pretty hefty things though, as an average Super Coupe weighs in around 3,800lbs, making them a bit more suited for comfortable road trips than hot laps.

Last edited:
VXR
I can never understand why the Paseo existed at the same time as the AE111.
Much cheaper to build (as it was basically a Tercel), and sold in considerably more markets.

And if you're going to ask that why not ask why Toyota was selling probably two dozen different four-door sedan models across probably three different size segments in the 1990s :lol:

And if you're going to ask that why not ask why Toyota was selling probably two dozen different four-door sedan models across probably three different size segments in the 1990s :lol:

Corona, Carina, Camry, Cresta, Chaser and the Mark II?

Yeah, I've always found Toyota's mid-sizeish model history quite difficult to follow.

Corona, Carina, Camry, Cresta, Chaser and the Mark II?

Yeah, I've always found Toyota's mid-sizeish model history quite difficult to follow.
If you include cars outside of just the midsize class you can add the Altezza, Aristo, Avensis, Carina ED, numerous Crowns (sedan, Comfort, Athlete, Majesta, Royal), Sprinter sedan, Sprinter Marino, Celsior, Corolla Ceres, Corolla sedan, Century, Tercel and Progres. That's not including variations on some of the ones you mentioned above, or the fact that several of them were also available as Lexus models, or even more that were introduced in the early 2000s as replacements or additions.

This tweet is indicative of how silly/diverse (delete as appropriate) Toyota's empire used to be...

The most amazing part, I've always thought, was that Toyota and Nissan both did that like mad (especially before Lexus and Infiniti started needing models beyond just the flagship) and most of them were really only for the tiny Japanese market only.

The most amazing part, I've always thought, was that Toyota and Nissan both did that like mad (especially before Lexus and Infiniti started needing models beyond just the flagship) and most of them were really only for the tiny Japanese market only.
Yeah, I've never quite understood how they managed, other than that component sharing among the cars must have been huge (down to the smallest details) and that many models were just derivatives with slightly different bodywork to the extent it was no more difficult making them than it would be tooling up for say, a wagon version.

I guess being one of the world's biggest carmakers and the economies of scale that comes with it also helps, but even so things got a bit silly for a while. It's a good illustration of how much the automotive world has changed that they're now using just a handful of platforms, and sharing development with other automakers.

No wonder Nissan had to be bought out.

I had no idea about the substantial changes made to the W210 E-Class early into its life. I didn't realize it ran the straight-six for a bit, nor that it had a small-capacity V8 in E36 guise:

239873d1242755001-w210-e36-amg-e36-amg-side-view.jpg

A very clean late-'90s CLK spotting this past weekend led me down this latest rabbit hole. I still really like that car, though it's incredibly trim/wheel dependant:

Carlsson-Mercedes-Benz_CLK-1998-1600-01.jpg

Once in awhile I see a Geo Prizm on the streets but they are mostly less talked about copy/paste Toyota Corolla lookalikes.
On the other hand.
1990-geo-prizm-gsi_100360640_m.jpg

Geo Prizm GSi

Possibly one of the only good things that came from the short-lived GM marque. Equipped with Toyota's now famous 1.6L 4AGE Twin-Cam, a more beefed up suspension & boy racer styling made it stick out like a sore thumb in the Geo lineup aside from the Storm. Finding one in decent shape is a real difficult task, but once you dig deeper & deeper to finally coming across a unmolested example, you'll have a decent unsuspecting sleeper in no time.
7d9e8048-b762-46e7-9e6b-dafc34fbb1db.large.jpg

2.jpg

1y1sl7454lz120751_4.jpg

7427190003_large.jpg

7427190004_large.jpg

1990-Geo-Prizm-Gsi-rear-right-51623277.jpg

Two cars just came to mind:

Dodge Avenger
About 21 years ago, a neighbor of mine had a black one. He was a fabricator and made numerous carbon fibre parts for it. Amazing back then.
IMG_6486.JPG

BMW 325ix
Was awesome when they came out while I was a Junior in High School. I think the Golf Rallye was soon to come out. Great time for the awd car rush.
IMG_6487.JPG

IMG_6488.JPG

IMG_6489.JPG

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't its Achilles heel, the driveshaft goes through the oil pan?

Isn't its Achilles heel, the driveshaft goes through the oil pan?
That may or may not be its problem, but that configuration is pretty standard fare and there are some incredibly sturdy examples.

That may or may not be its problem, but that configuration is pretty standard fare and there are some incredibly sturdy examples.
Didn't the driveshaft of the Olds Toronado go through the oilpan?

Didn't the driveshaft of the Olds Toronado go through the oilpan?
As far as I'm aware, they did not.

Certainly the early 425s had a notched pan, but I suspect even the final overdrive 325-4Ls did as well.

Edit: Here's an '84 Riviera with the 4L.

1984-buick-riviera

Here's the Olds Toronado UPP (Universal Power Package). It looks like the engine is on top of the transmission which is on top of the oil pan. The half-shafts come out of the block in front of the transmission. EDIt: and now I see Tornado's pic which clearly shows the halfshafts under the block. Looks like there's a takeoff drive under the block.

post-8705-1294629401.jpg

It's a tall package, to be sure. Well-suited to the personal luxury cars that it ended up in.

Among the countless ideas bouncing around my head is a transverse mid-engine arrangement that places the transmission ahead of the motor with a simple bevel drive and splined shaft to a quickchange rearend on the other side of the pan, that way the halfshafts are positioned above the plane of the main bearings.

I want to make a Small Sedan Thread, but I guess this is the best place to reminisce.

Mazda Protege. Car & Driver named the base model, the Miata of small cars in its class.

IMG_6495.JPG

Protege MP3
IMG_6493.JPG

Mazdaspeed Protege
IMG_6501.JPG

World Challenge Protege
IMG_6496.JPG

The market in Australia is saturated with 5-door hatches, but the sedan models from those same makes, are still pretty darn good.

Attachments

• IMG_6494.JPG
    IMG_6494.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 13
That and:
2002_Chevrolet_BelAirConcept1.jpg
One of those saw three years of production after a five year hiatus following the end of the previous generation, with total final generation production figures approaching 70,000.

Back