The Forgotten Cars Thread

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 1,346 comments
After seeing the all new Toyota "Crown" crossover, that lifted 5 door liftback design somewhat reminded me of the Honda Crosstour.

image-asset.jpeg

181dfced-4721-4649-8a69-e70d763574cb.jpeg

They weren't the best sellers back in it's days and thus got discontinued 5 years later in 2015.
----

On a side note, the S550 Mustang convertible might not exactly be forgotten but it's the one S550 model that i almost completely forgot about.

فورد-موستنج-جي-تي-2016.jpg

I hardly ever see G37 convertibles on the road and always forget they exist, until I saw one recently! With the recent news of the Infiniti Q60 going out of production, I can't help but feel a bit sad that Infiniti's only current coupe is dead. With there being no new Z convertible, I feel like they could have kept the Q60 as a convertible.

2009-infiniti-g37-convert-45_800x0w.jpg

2009-infiniti-g37-convert-6_800x0w.jpg

Toyota Aurion

It's literally just a Camry with different front/rear end. These were only offered over here with a V6 while the regular Camry that we love & loathe are only offered with a 4 banger instead.

2007_Toyota_Aurion_Prodigy_06_%28edit_5%29.jpg

Last edited:
A fairly recent car that I feel like is often forgotten. The Cadillac ATS-V and ATS-V Coupe. Always thought they were attractive cars and kept hearing praise for their chassis tuning, but hardly ever hear about them nowadays when people bring up a performance vehicle for $40k-$50k which doesn't seem like too bad of a deal. Especially finding several ATS-Vs for the low $40k range and it can be had with a manual.
2016-cadillac-ats-v-sedan-1545072632.jpg

2017-Cadillac-ATS-V-Coupe-review-420.jpg

I think it were the “European” headlights. ;) I definitely was calling all USA cars with aero headlights that, since the Mustang SVO & Taurus mimicked the XR4Ti & Scorpio headlights.

Replaying through the first Forza Horizon, I was suddenly reminded that the 5th gen Boss 302 was a thing.

111584_2012_Ford_Mustang.jpg

I remember both it and the Laguna Seca version getting a lot of positive press coverage, being featured in a variety of games and a lot of YouTube vids around the time of release but after that, it just... vanished. Both in media and real life seemingly; even in the DYSAGT thread they don't show up (that I could see, anyway). Can anyone in the States confirm, are they nothing particularly special? Or on the other end of the scale, now garage queens? I always liked it, but being on the other side of the pond, it seems me and the rest of the internet/media forgot it was ever a thing after 2013.

Last edited:
Euro in GM parlance tended to mean "no chrome, highest output engine available and upgraded suspension." Anyone who actually wanted something that you would maybe consider over an 80s Audi bought a Pontiac instead; at least in the before times when the SHO hadn't been invented yet.

Last edited:
Recently saw a first generation pre-facelift Jaguar XFR locally at the grocery store. Quite the forgotten super saloon competitor to the M5 and E63 AMG. Never hear anything of them since their release.
2010-jaguar-xfr-instrumented-test-car-and-driver-photo-268147-s-original.jpg

Same goes for the facelifted model.
jaguar-xfr-1.jpg

Kind of wish there was a second generation XFR, but the most powerful we ever saw was the XF with the supercharged V6.

I imagine it's not that uncommon for some folks here. But I hardly see the early fifth generation Toyota 4Runner Trail Editions. Everyone's got a TRD-Offroad or TRD Pro nowadays. Almost weird to see it with the unpainted cladding compared to a TRD Pro these days.
2009-183534-2010-toyota-4runner-trail1.jpg

I imagine it's not that uncommon for some folks here. But I hardly see the early fifth generation Toyota 4Runner Trail Editions. Everyone's got a TRD-Offroad or TRD Pro nowadays. Almost weird to see it with the unpainted cladding compared to a TRD Pro these days.
The 4Runner is truly an anomaly. The more ancient and outdated it gets, the more it sells. I’m pretty sure last year was it’s highest sales year of the current generation, and it’s first year was the lowest, given that it was the height of the recession.

Last edited:
I like this trim package better than the TRD Pro. It looks perfect.

The Trail is easily the best looking 4Runner.
The 4Runner is truly an anomaly. The more ancient and outdated it gets, the more it sells. I’m pretty sure last year was it’s highest sales year of the current generation, and it’s first year was the lowest, given that it was the height of the recession.
2009 was the lowest, but it was still the goofy-looking 4th gen during that time. The 5th gen came out in 2010 and sales more than doubled. Peak sales were in 2021 with 145k units.

The sales gradually increasing likely has to do with a few things. For one, the Pros renewed the interest in the 4Runner, especially among anyone remotely into camping/overlanding. While they might not have been able to afford a Pro, they certainly bought SR5s and TRDs. The resale value also contributed heavily. Why buy a used one when a new one is only a little more?

The 4Runner is woefully dated though. An entire Tacoma generation came and went while the 4Runner stayed the same. The engine is over 20 years old too and feels it in terms of fuel economy and power too.

Somehow I didn't think about that! Makes sense why I hardly see them compared to the newer TRD-Pro. Certainly seemed that way for the second generation Toyota Tacoma (2007 - 2021). We had tested a press Tundra TRD Pro and got nothing but compliments for it in 2019 when it felt like a dinosaur.

I like this trim package better than the TRD Pro. It looks perfect.
Almost makes more sense as an off road trim with the unpainted cladding compared to the Pro. Almost feels like it was ahead of it's time as @GranTurNismo said, arriving during the recession.

Volkswagen EOS.

Honestly I just saw this on the road and I actually forgot it exists.

I dont think the EOS sold well in Australia when it first came out it costed like 40k to 50k to many people it basically was seen as a Golf convertible and nothing special. If paying something for 50K it has to be something special and different.

Last edited:
Back