The Forgotten Cars Thread

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 1,350 comments
Hey, I just came across this interesting vehicle again on the internet today. It’s the Volkswagen XL-1, a car I’m still surprised even made it to (very limited) production.

910F46E8-AB6E-4C1B-84F7-86005314EB07.jpeg

It looks cool, I guess. It was pretty slow despite its looks. It wasn’t really practical either which makes it really unattractive to people looking at a Tesla or other similar car.

You can probably guess why nobody talks about this one anymore. If you’re in the market for a hybrid sports car that isn’t fast, isn’t practical but goes pretty far from a non-exotic brand, this is your car.

1977-1980 Lincoln Versailles
This rebadged Ford Granada (US-spec) was supposed to be Lincoln's "internationally-sized" offering in the late 1970s, and was intended to rival BMW and Mercedes models that were rapidly gaining in marketshare at that time. It was powered by either 4.9L Windsor V8 making 130hp, or a 5.8L Windsor V8 making 135hp. It sold quite poorly and was axed from the lineup in 1980 without replacement. For comparison, 50,200 units were sold from 1977-1980, while the Cadillac Seville, a comparably sized and priced car sold over three times that number in the same time period.

Fun fact: The Versailles was the first car ever to be offered with clearcoat paint. It was also the first American car to have halogen headlights.

017305ebdf43edc8c46b43a91f879542.jpg

9a9e2369a81189a70870e10195957473.jpg

upload_2021-4-24_19-4-17.png

upload_2021-4-24_19-5-4.png

9be0395d9149388cfffff8a61663bdfc.jpg

I haven't really noticed one of these in probably 20 years. I suppose there are plenty around still, though likely base models used as light duty work vehicles for pool guys and landscapers. But I spotted one parked today, in extended cab guise with a moderate lift, a straight axle (maybe this was standard but it seems like by the mid-'90s anyone who wanted to actually sell a light duty 4x4 had to have IFS) and what appeared to be homemade, but reasonably well-made, bed bars. It's like someone wanted to make a point not to have a Toyota but put some real effort into the little Mits.

Even though Rangers, S10s, Tacomas, and Nissan Hardbodies of that age are still relatively common for both personal and commercial use, the Mighty Maxes seem to be completely gone. Even the Mazda and Isuzu trucks of the era are more common.

Last edited:
The Versailles was a good source to get a 9" ford rear end with disc brakes for a project car.

Speaking of the Mighty Max, I met a young guy with a Starion the other day. I jokingly told him the 2.6 was a Mighty Max engine with a turbo, he laughed and said a 4g63 swap was in the works.

My uncle owned one of these Mitsubishi L200/Mighty Max pickup in white like 7 years ago. I still see them from time to time but definitely not as common as it was 10-20 years ago.

On the other hand, you could still spot old GMC Sierra's, Nissan Pickup's and Toyota Hilux's from the era.

I guess the car in my avatar would count as "forgotten". 2002-2003 Aston Martin DB7 GT. The GT was the highest-performance trim of the DB7 offered, producing 430hp and 410 lb-ft of torque (15hp and 10 lb-ft more than the standard DB7 V12 for comparison). 0-60 time was 4.9 seconds, and it was capable of a 186mph top speed. Aesthetically, compared to the standard DB7 it has a mesh front grille, vents in the hood, a larger spoiler, an aluminum gear lever, carbon fiber interior trim, and new, larger wheels. Only 190 were produced, 64 of which were imported to the United States.

1625888714627.png

2003 Aston Martin DB7 GT

2003 Aston Martin DB7 GT

2003 Aston Martin DB7 GT

I got to sit in a DB7 GT as the 2003 Canary Wharf Motor Expo. It was silver and I have some very grainy early digital camera photos of it (2mp!) on an old Mac hard drive.

wallpapers_lexus_es_1989_1-216339.jpg

lexus-es250-2.jpg

First gen Lexus ES250.

Introduced alongside the well received LS400, the ES250 was Lexus's entry model that only lasted for two model years before being replaced by the more popular second gen ES300.

Toyota had to just slap together a camry just to fill the Lexus lineup with something at launch.

Last edited:
Did they not?
Bad wording on my part. Well technically most Lexuses fall under that part but what i meant was that the first gen ES felt incredibly lazy by contrast to all later models. Same with the og LX450.

Last edited:
Bad wording on my part. Well technically most Lexuses fall under that part but what i meant was that the first gen ES felt incredibly lazy by contrast to all later models. Same with the og LX450.
Wording seemed fine to me. At least I think I got the meaning. I was under the impression the early ES was just barely not a Camry.

Last edited:
Wasn't sure whether to post this in guilty pleasures or here, but it recently went out of production without much fanfare. I suppose it belongs here, despite being a rather recent vehicle. The BMW X2 M35i (not the less powerful xDrive28i) deserves a mention. 302HP and 332lb-ft of torque. Working at a BMW dealer, I still barely see them around and the ones that do arrive are either orders or struggle to sell. The few occasions I do get behind the wheel of one, it's quite fun and the exhaust encourages spirited driving. Seeing some for the low $40k range which seems like a decent deal in today's market (in a way). It's a hot hatch that's sold as a compact crossover.

2019-bmw-x2-m35i-112-1576809432.jpg

1650369124213.jpeg

Saw one this past Afternoon. For some reason, these are the main Preludes I see in Australia. Usually a woman driving(as was the case with the one I saw). Fun thing is, the cars are modified with wheels or changes in Color too(it was a standard gold/Champaig, old tint, slightly lowered, on black & gold wheels with a decent lip). But women my age and older own them. Never saw a young person driving this model. Some time ago, saw a woman, must have been in her 80s, driving a white one. I’ll add EK Civics as well. Seem popular with older women.

In the Northeast at least, I never see these around. Either that or they are as hidden as they look. The 2014-2019 Cadillac CTS V-Sport 3.6 twin turbo. They didn't sell in the snow states due to only being RWD (at least not well as I've only seen one around during my time working at dealerships) and people only really thought of the full CTS-V when thinking of the RWD performance version. But I find it neat with the twin turbo 3.6L V6 making 420HP and 430lb-ft of torque. I didn't mind the third generation Cadillac CTS and thought it was a little more stately looking in the right color/trim.
2016-cadillac-cts-vsport.jpg

cadillac-cts-vsport-2016-10best-cars-feature-car-and-driver-photo-663656-s-original.jpg

C&D even put it in their 10Best list.

Ford Explorer's prior to 2011, especially the 90s models.

1994-ford-explorer-eddie-bauer-4wd.jpeg

It's quite odd because i do remember the other SUVs and crossovers of it's era like the Expedition, Suburban, RAV4, CR-V, Blazer, Cherokee, Bronco, Land Cruiser, Patrol, 4Runner, Isuzu Trooper and such.

Yet i keep forgetting about the Explorer despite supposedly being one of the trendsetters for the modern day crossover/SUV obsession. Not only that but most pre-5th gen models have seemingly disappeared off the local roads here. Were they unreliable? I'm not sure.

Last edited:
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe. A coupe version of the Solstice was offered for just one model year. Only 1152 were produced (in contrast to over 64,000 Solstice convertibles being sold throughout it's production run).

???????????????????????????????

3bdG2Pv.jpg

88305d1528106330-733-2009-solstice-coupe-gxp-5-speed-25k-img_1210.jpg

2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe. A coupe version of the Solstice was offered for just one model year. Only 1152 were produced (in contrast to over 64,000 Solstice convertibles being sold throughout it's production run).

???????????????????????????????

3bdG2Pv.jpg

88305d1528106330-733-2009-solstice-coupe-gxp-5-speed-25k-img_1210.jpg
So it wasn't just a concept. Don't know about you but I still think it looks modern.

Back