The General Airplane Thread

• Thread starter Crash
  • 2,741 comments
I've posted my photos from Zhukovsky airfield in 2017 earlier...
Remember my post about the restored Il-2 on the previous page? So, I've seen this plane close now. It even flew on the airshow.

Ilyushin IL-2M
by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Ilyushin IL-2M

Somebody wanted Russian fighters? I've got some.

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29KUB
MiG-29KUB - the trainer (twin-seat) variant of 29K - the carrier-based version (used on Admiral Kuznetsov aviation cruiser).

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29SMT
MiG-29SMT - an upgrade of MiG-29SM, which was a multipurpose version of the 29, with capability of ground strikes.

Sukhoi Su-35

Sukhoi Su-35S
This one was doing crazy things in the air. Try searching "Su-35S MAKS 2017" on YouTube (or insert "Су-35С МАКС 2017").

Sukhoi Su-30SM
Su-30SM. Easily recognizable by the canards.

Sukhoi Su-34

Oh, there are some more choppers.

Mil Mi-28N

Mil Mi-28N
The "Night Hunter". Battle-proven in Syria and Iraq (by the Iraqi Air Force).

Kamov Ka-52 Alligator

Kamov Ka-52 Alligator

Mil Mi-8AMTSh-VA
Long name. :D This is the Arctic version of the Eight, developed for operating under extremely low temperatures, bad visibility, and polar night.
(The yellow writing on the nose says "CAUTION! MICROWAVES!")

Mil Mi-8MTV5-1
Multipurpose (transport & attack) helicopter.

Mil Mi-26
The world's largest mass-produced helicopter.

Beriev A-50U
AEW (airborne early warning) plane. A flying radar.

Tupolev Tu-22M3
Supersonic missile carrier mostly used in maritime role.

Tupolev Tu-95MS
This one doesn't need an introduction, I guess.

Tupolev Tu-160

Tupolev Tu-160
The "Blackjack" as it's called by NATO and Beliy Lebed ("White Swan") as the Russian pilots call it. This particular one is named "Nikolai Kuznetsov" (as written on the fuselage). The Defence Ministry announced that the production of Swans will resume in 2023.

There are some more photos, but I'll post them later, this post is already big. To be continued...

...but there are some that I haven't. I'll share them until they are deleted from my Flickr (I backed them up already).

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29LL (Gromov Institute ver.)

F8uEaO3Npt4.jpg

MiG-29LL - the "flying lab" of the Gromov Flight Research Institute. Carries personal name "Vitaly Popkov" after the WWII ace.

9bNoBFsmJy8.jpg

MiG-27 ground attacker. All MiG-27's in Russia were decomissoned in the '90s due to lack of funds to maintain them, and most were scrapped. This one is a rare survivor.
The only current operators are India and Kazakhstan.

EQuaBskxzPo.jpg

MiG-21UM - a 2-seat trainer version of the famous MiG-21 fighter.

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG 1.44 MFI
This is a unique one. A prototype of the MFI - the Soviet project of 5th generation fighter that was cancelled after the country's collapse and never launched into serial production. The Mikoyan Design Bureau continued working on it in the late '90s, and this 1.44 prototype made its first flight in 2000, but the project was closed later. Some experts assume that MiG sold the MFI design data to the Chinese, who used it in the development of their Chengdu J-20.

Sukhoi Su-15UM
The 2-seat trainer variant of the Su-15 interceptor that is infamous for downing the Korean Boeing near Sakhalin in 1983.

Sukhoi Su-17
Su-17M4 to be more accurate. A fighter-bomber that was widely used in the Afghan war.

Myasishchev VM-T Atlant

Myasishchev VM-T Atlant
A transport derivative of the 3M bomber developed for carrying oversize cargo (such as spaceship parts).

Tupolev Tu-144D

Tupolev Tu-144D
The world's first supersonic airliner (the Concorde was the first to enter commercial service, but the Tu-144 made its first flight earlier).
It's restored for display. Unfortunately, I didn't get inside, the queue was too big.

Tupolev Tu-144LL
Another "flying lab" that was used by NASA for research in the late '90s, now rests in this condition. Some sources say it can still be restored to airworthy condition.

Last edited:
Yeah, but that's using the cargo to generate some of its own lift, so it's cheating... :)

(I really don't know how much lift the shuttle's wings contribute to the package, I just wanted to accuse!)

Yeah, but that's using the cargo to generate some of its own lift, so it's cheating... :)

(I really don't know how much lift the shuttle's wings contribute to the package, I just wanted to accuse!)

They don't generate that much lift actually. While it may of been a space plane in some regards, it wasn't very good on the plane aspect of things.

It would be truly awful for aerodynamics.

How so? It flew, from what I've read it didn't cause any major GNC issues or at least I haven't found any yet from this and similar planes. To be honest it's similar to seeing one of these fly in the sky (which I have)

Boeing_737-7ES_Peace_Eagle%2C_Turkey_-_Air_Force_JP7137312.jpg

070323-F-0577F-100.JPG

In all honesty I'd probably be a bit more worried about the flight dynamic changes via performance aspect

Last edited:
It would be truly awful for aerodynamics.
- Vladimir, we need a plane to carry outsize cargo to Baikonur Cosmodrome. Really outsize.
- It would be truly awful for aerodynamics.
- But you're a communist, Vladimir!
6964372.jpg

vmt-4.jpg

upload-TASS_17528673-pic4_zoom-1500x1500-63001.jpg

The VM-T (named after its designer, Vladimir Myasishchev) has outstanding maximum lift-to-drag ratio (about 18), and with cargo attached, the L/D is about 12, which is still decent for a transport plane.

Yep and we also did this (this is more for CLowndes really) as a external transport craft
3855h.jpg
Interstingly, the Atlant used to carry a spaceship airframe, too (for Buran):
vmt-8.jpg

071%20-%20%20-%20%20.jpg

- Vladimir, we need a plane to carry outsize cargo to Baikonur Cosmodrome. Really outsize.
- It would be truly awful for aerodynamics.
- But you're a communist, Vladimir!
6964372.jpg

vmt-4.jpg

upload-TASS_17528673-pic4_zoom-1500x1500-63001.jpg

The VM-T (named after its designer, Vladimir Myasishchev) has outstanding maximum lift-to-drag ratio (about 18), and with cargo attached, the L/D is about 12, which is still decent for a transport plane.
That is just hilariously goofy.:lol::lol::lol::lol: At least the space shuttle doesn't look as obnoxious...

Old enough to be 480 resolution and 4:3, but... from an airshow in 2003. A 30-degree climb, rolling to inverted at the top. (Maybe these things don't do neg-g pushovers well. :) ) And it's the only thing I ever saw that was louder than an F-14!

Old enough to be 480 resolution and 4:3, but... from an airshow in 2003. A 30-degree climb, rolling to inverted at the top. (Maybe these things don't do neg-g pushovers well. :) ) And it's the only thing I ever saw that was louder than an F-14!

I almost thought it was a Concorde in side view. :lol:

I saw an SR-71 land at Nellis AFB back around 1988 when I was stationed there. It went straight from the runway and into a hanger with no stops in between. There were many armed airmen in view.

My favorite was getting to see an active duty Canberra bomber land when I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford in England in 1982. It suffered a birdstrike to the cockpit. No injuries, but it was forced to land immediately, and our little air base was the closest. I still think it's one of the most beautiful bombers ever built.

Last edited:
I noticed a funny detail; it looks like it's wearing old fashioned flying goggles in that picture. Am I alone in seeing it?

I can't see it :)

There's a Canberra at the Yorkshire Air Museum in Elvington, there's a cockpit day coming up... I don't know if the 'Berry is included but I'll give it a go :D

The example I posted is WJ874, a T4 trainer variant with dual controls, so it was likely produced in 1953 or 1954. It's been painted to represent the first prototype Canberra, VN799 when it flew for the first time on 13 May 1949 at Warton airfield where it had been built.

Back