The General Airplane Thread

Discussion in 'The Rumble Strip' started by Crash, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Keef

Keef Premium

An old college professor of mine flew these in Vietnam. He had to eject twice during the war, once I believe out of a B-57 onto the ground and once out of an F-4 into the ocean.

2. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

This is from 2006... First time I ever saw a Canberra
    Temora Nov 06 023.jpg
    Temora Nov 06 025.jpg
    Temora Nov 06 027.jpg
    Temora Nov 06 047.jpg

Carlos, Venom800tt, mazda787 and 2 others like this.
  3. wfooshee

wfooshee Premium

If you ever saw one fly over, you'd know it without seeing forever after that! It was a really unique howling sound. It's been a long time, but they would come into Tyndall once in a while when I was in high school, maybe younger than that.

4. mazda787

mazda787

Got a few first time spots today at Dulles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And also saw this Prowler in the restoration hangar at the Udvar Hazy museum:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NP, Carlos, Ze Elephant and 6 others like this.
  5. Vegard

Vegard

I meant to say old fashioned flying helmet and goggles, like this:
    [​IMG]
    It's probably just me, I tend to see things that aren't there :lol:

John Wells and TenEightyOne like this.
  6. John Wells

John Wells

7. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

I saw this when I arrived in Sydney on Monday:
    [​IMG]
    First time I've ever seen one!

8. unit-one

unit-one

9. wfooshee

wfooshee Premium

Geez, I hope he got a usable frame out of those clickies...

As for the launch system, since they abandoned development of their own air-launch-to-space booster system back in January, there's not anything for this thing to do any more.

I'm no rocket scientist, but I do understand that lifting off vertically takes a lot of fuel. Still, comparing to a Falcon 9 launch, at the 35,000-ft point that Stratolaunch is supposed to release its rocket payload, a Falcon 9 is already supersonic and still climbing at around 300 meters per second. In other words, while Stratolaunch may have reached that point more efficiently, it's got a lot of catching up to do. It just seems like if it really was significantly more efficient to carry a rocket partway up and give it a head start to that altitude, it would have already been done by someone... Well, it has, actually, but with nowhere near the payload weights that Stratolaunch is supposed to be able to carry. Pegasus was an air-launch system back in the 90s through... I guess the present if they still have customers. Their last shot was in 2016, and they went through several 3 and 4 year spells with only one launch before that, although in the late 90s/early 2000s they had several launches a year.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    John Wells likes this.
  10. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Yeah nice find, we have one here and the local airport is the home for it. I actually wonder if this is the same one I'd have to read off the fuselage/tail number to see if so. The one here I see almost any time I jump on the freeway to pass the airport.

Pegasus still has customers for it, just not a ton. My mentor/prof talks about it all the time and the recent launches since he also works for Northrop (former Orbital ATK). He also said that the biggest issue with the launch was the plane they used since it is one of the few LM passenger airliners they made and how parts are quite scarce for them. Also one of the launching units for Pegasus is the Stratolaunch as well, so there is use for this and that but how frequent said use will be seen in the years to come is something I'd like to know as well.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  11. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

You can! Just click on the image and you'll clearly be able to read it. But to make your life easier, it's N574FE.

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  12. kikie

kikie Premium

John Wells and Populuxe Cowboy like this.
  13. GTV0819

GTV0819

I almost thought it was one of Honda's jets, which is small. :lol:

14. wfooshee

wfooshee Premium

Maybe the smallest jet commercially available for purchase, but the BD-5J was significantly smaller, although sold only in kit form, while the company was in business, and there are quite a few of them out there flying!

[​IMG]

John Wells and Populuxe Cowboy like this.
  15. Beeblebrox237

Beeblebrox237 Premium

I've heard that if there's a choice, ejecting into the air is preferable to ejecting into the land or water.

16. mazda787

mazda787

Saw a rare Qatar Amiri Flight Airbus A340 at Dulles today, plus some other general spotting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NP, Carlos, unit-one and 4 others like this.
  17. mazda787

mazda787

Today I attended the inauguration ceremony for Alitalia starting service to Dulles airport (more like a return, since they used to serve until 2006):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New United Livery Boeing 737-800
    [​IMG]

Austrian Boeing 767-300ER
    [​IMG]

NP, Dan, John Wells and 1 other person like this.
  18. Venom800tt

Venom800tt

Some recent sightings from the past few weeks that I managed to take pics of:

First new Embraer 175 SC for the regional I work for:
    [​IMG]

Boeing AH-64D Apache Longbow:
    [​IMG]

Boeing T-45C Goshawk:
    [​IMG]

Boeing CH-47F Chinook:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lockheed Martin C-130J Hercules:
    [​IMG]

McDonnell Douglas KC-10A Extender:
    [​IMG]

Lockheed P-3C Orion:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. mazda787

mazda787

Today I saw the U.S.A.F. Thunderbirds perform at the Legends in Flight event in Maryland, highly recommended experience. The Blue Angels were there too, but I couldn't stay there until they started performing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Dan

Dan Premium

F-16s are such beautiful aircraft. :bowdown:

mazda787 and John Wells like this.
  21. Ze Elephant

Ze Elephant

Both the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds are fantastic to see! I've always had a fondness for the Fighting Falcons. Hornets have always been hit or miss, sometimes I decide they're great, other times I'm not that big of a fan.

Last year at Thunder Over Michigan, it was awesome to see the pair of F-15s that were on static display leave. They were given clearance for an unrestricted climb to altitude, and it was AWESOME. I'll see if I can find the video I got.

mazda787, John Wells and Dan like this.
  22. wfooshee

wfooshee Premium

The F-16 is a prettier airplane, but the Blue Angels fly a more dynamic demonstration, a tighter formation (especially their photo pass,) a much greater number of separate-and-rejoin maneuvers, and more gs pulled by the diamond pilots in those separation maneuvers. My favorite part, though, is they taxi out to the runway, then they TAKE OFF, whereas the Thunderbirds taxi out and do secret society stuff for about 25 minutes before they start. Bor-ing!!! :)

They only have one maneuver I like that the Blues don't do, and that's the speed difference, where the diamond makes a slow approach-speed pass down the show line while one of the solos passes them at show center, having started miles away, hardly even visible.

I like that splashing in the puddle picture!!

23. mazda787

mazda787

Thank you! I think it was actually sucking in the water too if you look closely...

John Wells likes this.
  24. wfooshee

wfooshee Premium

I got one with that as they started up on a wet ramp back in 2015. This was no splash, just sucking it up off the ground!!
    [​IMG]

Dan, mazda787, Venom800tt and 2 others like this.
  25. kikie

kikie Premium

Lilium, the first electric Taxi Aeroplane.

[​IMG]

John Wells likes this.
  26. Ze Elephant

Ze Elephant

The most annoying thing for me is how they constantly refer to the motors as jets on their website. They aren't jets, though. They're electric ducted fans just like you find in tons of model planes.

I'm also pretty curious to know what their payload and range goals are. They mention it being a 5-seat aircraft, but how big can 5 people be and still have the plane fly? Beyond that, what about your max vertical takeoff weight? It's a very fine balancing act between range and payload capacity for them. Too big of a battery, and it will only be good for five children to fly in it. Make it so you can have 1,000 lbs of payload and cut the range in half.

It's a pretty interesting endeavor, but I don't think they're going to be the mobility revolution they say the will be.

27. mazda787

mazda787

Very nice! Crazy how large the radius of its suction is!

28. Gotbeefboy564

Gotbeefboy564

Saw two Delta planes land when I was at a car show next to Grand Rapids airport
    159054A0-2CC4-438E-8235-26CEDDF3601D.jpeg AE814B7E-EAD5-439C-9BB7-2E7FAAAF208D.jpeg

Populuxe Cowboy, John Wells and Dan like this.
  29. gnomefromnome

gnomefromnome

[​IMG]

Watch: Flying piece of history delivers fuel to the roughest Alaskan terrain

[​IMG]Untitled
    Landing at Merril Field

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  30. Jawehawk

Jawehawk Premium

Stunning photography of the Thunderbirds, @mazda787
    I particular enjoy the one where they're flying inverted of one another.