The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
The only way anime could be "saved" would be if I was a trillionaire and could just pay the animation studios to not cut corners or resort to cheap fanservice.

Even then, that probably wouldn't work.

I can see why Railgun has so much praise compared to Index now, it actually deserves it.

Last night's binge was awesome, half way through season one. Episode 12 was fantastic. The plot is so much more interesting, same with the battles. Misaka fits the protagonist role much more than Touma, and Kuroko is a great supporting main.

It's not often that the spin off is better than the original, but this does it for sure.

The only way anime could be "saved" would be if I was a trillionaire and could just pay the animation studios to not cut corners or resort to cheap fanservice.

Even then, that probably wouldn't work.
Because they'd make more money cutting corners and putting in cheesy fanservice to sell figurines. Go figure (pun intended).

Also how is AKB0048?

If you guys haven't heard of Yandere Simulator.... I... think it's time to go check it out.

Because they'd make more money cutting corners and putting in cheesy fanservice to sell figurines.

Scrolls, tapestries and all the other comparatively less expensive items (i.e. 2D stuff) before figurines. Because impulsive jobless folks could afford these more easily.

Also, the retail price of figurines have gone up lately. Makers say production costs gone up, cynics say they're aiming to rake more, and overly-hyped peeps encourage this notion by paying for it anyway.

edit: speaking of figs, I don't know why I'm surprised, because it really shouldn't be a surprise this would be made:

ZGtAghA.jpg

I guess a plain pose like this is appropriate to the story, but Good Smile should also aim to do one where she is one with her violin.... with Kousei on the piano too. That's a centrepiece worth putting on the pedestal.

And if you have no idea who this character is, you better find out so you can start liking Classical music a little more.

Last edited:
less expensive items (i.e. 2D stuff) before figurines
I guess that's true. But still, merchandise in general is what drives the overused tropes. I'm assuming that you already knew this, though.

And if you have no idea who this character is, you better find out so you can start liking Classical music a little more.
Or you could tell me ;)
I don't really care though. Classical music isn't really my thing. I'm the kind of guy that likes listening to Hollywood Undead and those two tastes would probably clash very badly.

I should replay Pokemon Emerald or Ultra Violet.
I have that moe-sprite crap for both of them, but the Ultra Violet sprites look absolutely horrid. I wish there was an easy way to import the sprites I have from Emerald to the other game.

SVX
I can see why Railgun has so much praise compared to Index now, it actually deserves it.

Last night's binge was awesome, half way through season one. Episode 12 was fantastic. The plot is so much more interesting, same with the battles. Misaka fits the protagonist role much more than Touma, and Kuroko is a great supporting main.

It's not often that the spin off is better than the original, but this does it for sure.

Railgun is fantastic.

But that said I still haven't actually finished it. This might have to do with other stuff catching my interest, i.e. Touhou. But by the time I left it hanging it was already getting just a bit dull. It's the last anime I've watched with proper interest - back in 2013...

But while I was still interested it was a damn good thing. Uiharu was my favourite, mostly because she was as good as I expected. She's a cute voice done properly - not some Nia level head-ache inducing awfulness.

Ruiko is my favourite - naturally ;) - but the cuteness of Uiharu was definitely done well. It is all too often where the cuteness is overdone to the point where they're not an enjoyable character anymore. Uiharu combats that by not just being an impressionable school girl, but instead being a cute, delicate character with a reasonable intellect.

Also, this gives me an idea, just a digital print instead of physically painted on.

369165034.jpg

Link to auction.

Last edited:
atyceSv.jpg

Boomie.

Or you could tell me ;) Classical music isn't really my thing.

Nah. I don't think you may be ready for it yet in that case. Back when I was in a phase where trance, dance and whatever sort of beats that sounded "cool", all I valued in music was whatever was enough to make me bob my head up and down.

I still like a simple pop, hip hop or downtempo beat from time to time, but if there's something I can keep coming back to, it's orchestras (which helped guide me into some classical). It's got way more emotion to it than a repetitive digital beat.

If you like what you hear in a symphony orchestra, you may be able to get into certain Classical pieces.

You've got that right. A while back I decided to look up how much figures used to cost (As MFC would always complain about them going up), and I stumbled across this. Just wow.
https://web.archive.org/web/2014070...act-prices-of-figures-rose-80-from-2006-2013/

I feel the price tags are going up partially due to the popularity of a character/show/series. Quality overall is getting better, but some sculptors are still not doing a well enough job to have their sculpture hold the same value as some others. If they all made high quality stuff, I'd justify the price raise was reasonable.

I don't really want to watch Railgun or Index because it seems to pander to a teenage audience. Still better than Tokyo Ghoul and Akame Ga Kill's adaptations, though. At least those first two don't try to be dark and fall flat on their faces while doing it.

Only one episode left now. I anticipated it was going to end in some sort of final battle.
And damn son, Crouton Jr. dumped both Inaho and Slaine in the trash!
I'm hoping for a showdown between Inaho and Slaine before S2 ends.
Death flags everywhere, man. Even Inaho said it! The new ED visuals were rather interesting though. Asseylum, Inaho, and Slaine holding hands... hmm...

F/SN UBW S2 PV...

Looking forward to returning to this show

Any time a "mature" looking anime comes out now, people hype it up and say how it's going to save anime. Because yes anime is so bad now, and EVERY "mature" series is a masterpiece, and will save the industry!

Ex: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3235901#3235901

Heck also Google "Kill la Kill save anime" and you'll see quite a bit of what I'm talking about.

Also I'll leave this here, from the Under the Dog Kickstarter.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002/536/219/844c1e0d80df22cd9318289c2c22b97b_large.jpg

Ugh...

So, yeah, incredibly silly. I wish I didn't ask.

Ironically, anime is more alive today than it has ever been. Whoever thinks all of it should be "good" to be saved is just an idiot.

Ironically, anime is more alive today than it has ever been. Whoever thinks all of it should be "good" to be saved is just an idiot.
When you think about it, U.S. Congress is basically in the same state. They do a lot of things, such as getting more money from fanatics (lobbyists). And all the other stuff they do is insignificant (every mediocre anime out there) unless they hit the nail right on the head (stuff like Steins; Gate, Madoka Magica).

On the subject of that, I'll leave this here

It's too quiet here, so let me liven it up with a question. If an anime gets a DVD and a Blu-Ray release, aside from the video quality, is the content between the two different?

It's too quiet here, so let me liven it up with a question. If an anime gets a DVD and a Blu-Ray release, aside from the video quality, is the content between the two different?
It can be. Sometimes extras are only on the BD, but not the DVD. Other times a re-release will be missing the DVD that had extras, but they're still on the BD (Since BD can hold more, they can fit on one of the discs with the episodes usually). This can be seen with FUNimation's Anime Classics line, some shows dropped the bonus DVD.

And it's things like that that I recommend buying the initial release of FUNimation shows rather than wait for things to get cheap. There's also the crap that is show is released on DVD and BD, then the S.A.V.E. set being DVD-only (Baka and Test S2, Princess Jellyfish).

I already know about those S.A.V.E. DVD's but I can't find any merit to buying them over a game on Steam (for example).

ayy lmao I started Akuma no Riddle
honestly it looks terrible but hey the character designs are pretty so I'll take it :lol:

Anime is cheap these days, the price has only been going down overall. (Though it eventually will go back up when companies are forced to cater almost exclusively to collectors with an inelastic demand for anime as cheap isn't working.)

This is the cheap fans' friend. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=S.A.V.E.

Goodness anime is cheap there....

Kill la Kill BD part 1, R1200 (US$115) and there's 3 parts. I'll post a link when I'm not on ny phone

Back