The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
Lol no dude. That's the name of the figure, Timeshift Homura.

Aaand I goof'd, what a surprise. :lol:

Hey, that is a great surprise! Was it also aired on TV over there?

Yup, cable channel Panda broadcasted the show a while ago, good times. Most animes were broadcasted rather late (like midnight late), but damm they were fun stuff to watch. Other shows included Escaflowne and Fushigi Yugi, so I had my fair share of cool '90's shows.

Yup, cable channel Panda broadcasted the show a while ago, good times. Most animes were broadcasted rather late (like midnight late), but damm they were fun stuff to watch. Other shows included Escaflowne and Fushigi Yugi, so I had my fair share of cool '90's shows.

That's really cool to know, that makes us... I think 3 in here now that watched it. 4, but Goddin doesn't post here anymore. That show was my anime catalyst. It's great to know I can now nerd around and I won't be alone.

Escaflowne was also aired here. Epic. Fushigi Yugi wasn't, thank god.

That's really cool to know, that makes us... I think 3 in here now that watched it. 4, but Goddin doesn't post here anymore. That show was my anime catalyst. It's great to know I can now nerd around and I won't be alone.

Escaflowne was also aired here. Epic. Fushigi Yugi wasn't, thank god.

I take it you're not a Fushigi Yugi fan, then. Well, nevertheless it was a good time back when Panda did broadcast more animes. I'm not sure if I should admit this, but the first anime I watched when I got my cable service was Saint Tail, I enjoyed watching that. Dunno why, but I enjoyed it. Rayearth was also a curious watch for me, I'm not sure if it was my first CLAMP show (Cardcaptor Sakura may have that accolade), but it was also a cool landmark for young(er) me. And then I saw that CLAMP detectives show (what was the name, again?), that was pretty nice as well.

Kinda dug Escaflowne as well, although it wasn't my first time watching a mecha show either, it was really interesting.

I guess marathoning the last bit of Monogatari Second Season was a good idea. I thought about it too much. It even showed in my cooking :D

It wasn't an epic ending like I expected but was one I was content with.

I guess I'll watch Hanamonogatari tomorrow after my studies. @Roger the Horse, I'll take word on the craziness of it after what I've seen so far.

DK
I'm thinking of picking up the Fate/Stay series: is Unlimited Budget Works the right place to start, or is it a sequel to F/S-Zero and F/S-Night?

The Fate/Stay Night visual novel has 3 possible story routes:

- Fate (which is the basis for the first F/SN anime TV series)
- Unlimited Blade Works (has a movie released some years ago and currently has an ongoing TV series that we all love and enjoy)
- Heaven's Feel (has a planned movie release)

Fate/Zero, on the other hand, IS the prequel to F/SN, which means it's the prequel to all of the 3 routes in the visual novel. Even though F/Z was made AFTER F/SN, F/Z is still the best place to start because of the backstory it provides.

Speaking of UBW, I just watched the latest episode yesterday. And damn... poor Ilya. :( Gilgamesh is a total man-part.

Last edited:
Is it worth watching, though?

If my avatar appeals to you, then yes.

So far in the three episodes we've had, no real music-playing has taken place. Seems like the show won't progress until the protagonist confronts her confused inner-conflict and gets to playng music. Other than that, she herself seems to hold a respectable level of skill/determination when pushed to perform well in a band.

Well, nevertheless it was a good time back when Panda did broadcast more animes. I'm not sure if I should admit this, but the first anime I watched when I got my cable service was Saint Tail, I enjoyed watching that. Dunno why, but I enjoyed it. Rayearth was also a curious watch for me, I'm not sure if it was my first CLAMP show (Cardcaptor Sakura may have that accolade), but it was also a cool landmark for young(er) me. And then I saw that CLAMP detectives show (what was the name, again?), that was pretty nice as well.

Oh, if you saw Sakura before Rayearth, it wasn't then aired back in the day... how old are you, dude?

And if I remember correctly from what I've read about Rayearth, in your country/dub Fuu was called... Anemone?

Kinda dug Escaflowne as well, although it wasn't my first time watching a mecha show either, it was really interesting.

I recently rewatched it, my wife found it complete with the TV dub from back in the day. It held up remarkably well! I was expecting a few facepalms, but it is actually a very good show that has aged extremely well.

Oh, if you saw Sakura before Rayearth, it wasn't then aired back in the day... how old are you, dude?

And if I remember correctly from what I've read about Rayearth, in your country/dub Fuu was called... Anemone?

I recently rewatched it, my wife found it complete with the TV dub from back in the day. It held up remarkably well! I was expecting a few facepalms, but it is actually a very good show that has aged extremely well.

Me? I am in my early 20's, man. Portuguese TV didn't really match the year of the shows themselves to the year of broadcasting. That was (and it still is) a thing we did...

As for the Fuu dub bit, I can't quite remember... That part is a bit hazy in my memory.

Also, cool to hear you got Escaflowne in your country's dub, really nice.

Ah, screw you. I wanted to confirm this, lol.

Actually, I just checked around, Fuu's dub name is Anne Hooji. Or at least it's one of the dub names....

Early edit: Wait, I have taken a second look, you may be right, Cano. The name Anemone shows up in my search.

Actually, I just checked around, Fuu's dub name is Anne Hooji. Or at least it's one of the dub names....

Early edit: Wait, I have taken a second look, you may be right, Cano. The name Anemone shows up in my search.

For some freaking reason, everywhere the show was dubbed with changed names she had something "Anne"-sounding. In here she was Anais.

For some freaking reason, everywhere the show was dubbed with changed names she had something "Anne"-sounding. In here she was Anais.

From what I read, the name Anemone is related to the word anemona, which aparently means "wind" in Greek...

Ah well, at least that one's fitting with her wind knight persona. In here the name was pulled out of someone's rear, like the other girls' names.

There is a thing I forgot; in Portugal, Rayearth was broadcasted with an English dub, which was then subbed in our local language. So we may have used the original English dub names...

I was about to come in here and explain the Greek relational stuff. :lol: I don't know the show at all, but I've seen this kind of naming done before.

Too bad brah, I got here first. :lol:

There is a thing I forgot; in Portugal, Rayearth was broadcasted with an English dub, which was then subbed in our local language. So we may have used the original English dub names...

As far as I'm aware, the english dub kept the original japanese names, but I'm not completely sure.

As far as I'm aware, the english dub kept the original japanese names, but I'm not completely sure.

I think so as well, but I am also not 100% sure. I remember some car named people like Cefiro or Alcyone, so there is that to consider...

I think so as well, but I am also not 100% sure. I remember some car named people like Cefiro or Alcyone, so there is that to consider...

Ah, those names were mostly retained because, you know, you can get away with weirdo names in people from OMFG ANOTHER DIMENSION, but the starring girls have to be your neighbour, and she can't be named Fuu unless you live in freaking Japan.

Wait, where does this show comes from again? Who cares, name her Anais 👍

And still, there were changes. Ferio in here was Paris.

There's a lot of old series out there that I would watch if they were remade.

How is Detective Conan? No matter what, I'm not going to go through all 750+ episodes and all the movies :boggled:

Ah, those names were mostly retained because, you know, you can get away with weirdo names in people from OMFG ANOTHER DIMENSION, but the starring girls have to be your neighbour, and she can't be named Fuu unless you live in freaking Japan.

Wait, where does this show comes from again? Who cares, name her Anais 👍

And still, there were changes. Ferio in here was Paris.

How in the blue hell you change Ferio to Paris!? Now that is crazy. :boggled: Although the rest does make sense, cultures do influence a lot of those decisions.

I wouldnn't be that harsh, although I can say that show does drag on. Many times, in fact. Just watch the key episodes, and one or two good cases...

How in the blue hell you change Ferio to Paris!? Now that is crazy. :boggled:

The best part was that it was Paris just when the voice actors remembered. There arte some Ferios slipped in the dub, lol. It was quite badly made. Even so, the voices of the three girls were quite fitting, and not nearly as annoying as the japanese voices. Altough of course japanese voices are annnoying by nature.

I wouldnn't be that harsh, although I can say that show does drag on. Many times, in fact. Just watch the key episodes, and one or two good cases...

Twice trash.

The best part was that it was Paris just when the voice actors remembered. There arte some Ferios slipped in the dub, lol. It was quite badly made. Even so, the voices of the three girls were quite fitting, and not nearly as annoying as the japanese voices. Altough of course japanese voices are annnoying by nature.

Twice trash.

Ain't it funny when those mistakes happen, it almost makes it feel like even the dubbers did not like their own dub. Heck, in the Portuguese dub of Sailor Moon we managed to turn Luna into a MALE car cat of all things. And yes, some Japanese voices can be very grating, I won't deny that.

Heck, in the Portuguese dub of Sailor Moon we managed to turn Luna into a MALE car cat of all things.

Ah yes that also happened a lot, to neutralize the haphazzard japanese conceptions about sex and stuff, several characters were turned into women, men or viceversa. Eagle Vision was a girl in here because, you know, Lantis.

Ah yes that also happened a lot, to neutralize the haphazzard japanese conceptions about sex and stuff, several characters were turned into women, men or viceversa. Eagle Vision was a girl in here because, you know, Lantis.

Another classic dubbing headache, androgenous characters. Well, at least we kept the relationship between Haruka and Michiru in Sailor Moon; no cousin gags here! :lol:

No, that went to hell here too. One of them was a guy. Imagine dat.

Oh dear, I bet the "guy" role fell in the lap of Haruka. Imagine that indeed, a dude wearing a Sailor Senshi outfit, now that would be mindblowing... Jesus, what a silly move.

Back