The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
There's some summer-season show that's probably gone under most people's radars.

87017l.jpg
87018l.jpg

It's called Mahoutsukai no Yome... or The Ancient Magus' Bride. It's fantasy & supernatural.

Young girl finds herself unknowingly being in possession of magical powers of some sort. She can see all sorts of strange creatures humans cannot. Her parents also disowned her. As such, she's got a tough life ahead of her. In current time, she is spending her days being taught magic by Elias, whom I know very litle of, probably to prep her for future work and survival.

Apparently only 3 episodes were screened at AX 2017, the rest of the eps are to resume in October.

I've only watched the first ep. It's got these creatures similarly introduced like in Spirited Away; small ones minding their own business to big ones that are looking to eat you. The art is fantastic and the soundtrack has all been orchestral pieces that reflect the mood of each scene.

Def. check it out.

Correction I ought to make: the 3-episode OVA, the one I'm raving about currently is called Mahoutsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito, The Ancient Magus' Bride: Those Awaiting a Star.

2 episodes are currently out, the 3rd is scheduled for some time in September.

The anime, Mahoutsukai no Yome, that's starting in October is said to pick up where 3rd ep leaves off.

87523l.jpg

And I just finished the 2nd ep. There's got to be something about that Library of the Forest that we're not being told about.

I'm on a anime drought right now looking for some good romance anime. I even go as far as rewatching animes that I've already watched such as Nozaki-kun (third time), ReLIFE (third time), The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (second time), Persona 4 The Animation (second time), etc.

There is one thing I did something that would make things interesting for P4A. I decided to mix both the original and the Golden animation together into one and connecting them by looking at the events that happened.

I'm on a anime drought right now looking for some good romance anime. I even go as far as rewatching animes that I've already watched such as Nozaki-kun (third time), ReLIFE (third time), The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (second time), Persona 4 The Animation (second time), etc.

There is one thing I did something that would make things interesting for P4A. I decided to mix both the original and the Golden animation together into one and connecting them by looking at the events that happened.

Give Chuunibyou a go.

SVX
Give Chuunibyou a go.
I've heard about it and it looks like it has the same problem as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in terms of season order.

But hey it's at least made by KyoAni so I'll give it a go later.

Edit: Dio is a handsome dude ngl I was going to reply to post 65283 on the last page with that, decided not to, and forgot I left it as a draft. Awkward.

Tsuki ga Kirei is a cute one. The CGI used is a little jarring but that's my only complaint.

Last edited:
SVX
What do you mean?
I saw like 7 versions of Chuunibyou (Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai!, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! Lite, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! Ren, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! Ren Lite, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! Ren Specials, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! Ren: The Rikka Wars, and Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! The Movie Lite) and I dunno where to start. It's like Suzumiya all over again.

I saw like 7 versions of Chuunibyou (Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai!, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! Lite, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! Ren, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! Ren Lite, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! Ren Specials, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! Ren: The Rikka Wars, and Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! The Movie Lite) and I dunno where to start. It's like Suzumiya all over again.

Use Myanimelist. It tells you what the first season is, etc.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! is the first season and Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! Ren is the second season. The 'Lite' episodes are humorous shorts based on the events in the show - basically the same with the Specials. The movie is basically a recap in Yuuta's point of view, and is pretty much a rehash bar like three scenes. Along with The Rikka Wars, you have Depth of Field - Ai to Nikushimi Gekijou and Kirameki no... Slapstick Noel - these are just OVAs/specials that you can watch after finishing, but they're not critical viewing.

Correction I ought to make: the 3-episode OVA, the one I'm raving about currently is called Mahoutsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito, The Ancient Magus' Bride: Those Awaiting a Star.

2 episodes are currently out, the 3rd is scheduled for some time in September.

The anime, Mahoutsukai no Yome, that's starting in October is said to pick up where 3rd ep leaves off.

87523l.jpg

And I just finished the 2nd ep. There's got to be something about that Library of the Forest that we're not being told about.

Is it short anime or full 24 minutes episode? I might looking forward to it. Also, what studio is working on this?

If you like complex and complicated relationship problem with some dark twist I may recommend you to Kuzu no Honkai. But if you want touching and sweet romance try Plastic Memories, which also have same studio working on Nozaki-kun. And if you want harem anime but have less cringy stuff (except mild fanservice) as I know so far is probably Saekano. Oregairu is also pretty good with it self commentary imo.

Or straight watching Kimi no Na Wa...

Finally finished up the Kizumonogatari trilogy after not watching anything for months. Seriously great. Now we just need 4.0 out and the world will end.

Speaking of Kimi No Na Wa, I decided to try and watch the other two known Shinkai films and those are 5 Centimeters per second and The Garden of Words. The Garden of Words was good but 5 Centimeters really hit me hard due to how it was too relatable in real life.

5 Centimeters really hit me hard

It was the same thing to me... Here is why :
The person you like is always near you all the time but you and he/she didn't see or even noticing at each other even for a second. That what makes it hit so hard to your feels...

Also, if you aiming for slice of life shows I would may suggest Shirobako or Hibike Euphonium. Tbh I'm not yet watching Shirobako, but from what I hear so far it has pretty good review and reception so give it a try then.

Hibike Euphonium in the other hand I already did watch both season of it and imo is also worth to try if you want to have decent high school drama combined with nice musical reference, especially ensemble music.

It was the same thing to me... Here is why :
The person you like is always near you all the time but you and he/she didn't see or even noticing at each other even for a second. That what makes it hit so hard to your feels...
To me the reason why it hit me hard is because:
Eventually after time passes by your longtime boy/girlfriend starts moving on while you're still clinging to him/her. Like in the movie I felt sad for the guy because he wanted to see her and talk to her one last time before he can finally move on and yet he only manages to see her and not talk to her.

It's like in real life. The lack of communication can cause a strain in your relationship with someone to the point where he/she forgets you and moves on.

@SVX I should really reward you with something lol. Thanks for recommending me Chuunibyou. I'm already into 2 EPs and I'm liking it. Gave it a 9 already in MAL.

Last edited:
SVX
Oh, I know about it. The graphics in this thing reminds of Tokyo Warfare that I have on Steam. I'm interested what is the game mechanics like.
Too bad it's released in Asia only. But if I create an Asian PSN account, will I be able to buy it?

Well, anyway, I have War Thunder where I can install GuP skins. Like this:

Pz. IV H Ankou team by
RageRacer48, on Flickr

BT-7 Keizoku school
by RageRacer48, on Flickr

Matilda Mk.II (St. Gloriana school)

IS-2 (mod.1944) Pravda school

Jagdpanther (Kuromorimine school)
https://flic.kr/p/KxziVu
But I'll check that GuP game when it is released, too. At least there won't be attack planes annoying you from above like in WT. :D

Last edited:
Oh, I know about it. The graphics in this thing reminds of Tokyo Warfare that I have on Steam. I'm interested what is the game mechanics like.
Too bad it's released in Asia only. But if I create an Asian PSN account, will I be able to buy it?

Well, anyway, I have War Thunder where I can install GuP skins. Like this:

Pz. IV H Ankou team by
RageRacer48, on Flickr

BT-7 Keizoku school

Matilda Mk.II (St. Gloriana school)

IS-2 (mod.1944) Pravda school

Jagdpanther (Kuromorimine school)
But I'll check that GuP game when it is released, too. At least there won't be attack planes annoying you from above like in WT. :D

I might even buy a PS4 for it, begrudgingly.

I've just pre-ordered my first figurine. And who else could it be but the main character from my favourite series?

medias

Thanks to the magic of PayPal, I paid all of £20 for her. And that...that might just be the bargain of the century.

Now, where's my weeb card at...

Might be back here having watched an actual anime and played (one of) its accompanying games tonight. No prizes for guessing what it might be, though.

Bleh you bought a Nendo.

Admittedly though, that one looks solid.

If you want some good bargains, I'd lurk the myfigurecollection forum\Buy Sell & Trade\User sales ever so often. A lot of suckers in there are compulsive buyers with little disposable income, so you'll find them desperately selling off things... unfortunately not many let go of the kind of 1/8 figures I like, but there are lot of nendos and garbage merch that gets listed often. And it's people all over the world too, so you'll probably find a decent number of European blokes *cough* folks.

@AOS- Is this the show you talking about from previous page? :

Seems neat, and from what I've seen in this trailer it looks like there is a bit of dark twist combined with touching moments. Quite interesting imo.

Last edited:
Bleh you bought a Nendo.

Admittedly though, that one looks solid.

If you want some good bargains, I'd lurk the myfigurecollection forum\Buy Sell & Trade\User sales ever so often. A lot of suckers in there are compulsive buyers with little disposable income, so you'll find them desperately selling off things... unfortunately not many let go of the kind of 1/8 figures I like, but there are lot of nendos and garbage merch that gets listed often. And it's people all over the world too, so you'll probably find a decent number of European blokes *cough* folks.
Eh, I know you love your full-scale figurines, but problem is I just don't have much room for any myself. So with that in mind a pocket sized nendo is perfect. Can't see me really getting too many though, unless one comes along with which I can get a good discount (like this one). Mind you, that Ai-chan Nendo isn't too far away...

Just finished up Owari S2... that was heavy. Really finished up the Monogatari series with a bang. Super concise and complex thinking, as with all other Monogatari shows, but S2 really just stepped it up a notch further I feel. The resolutions felt like they made more sense towards the viewer, instead of a 'tough luck if you don't get it' type deal. The awful fanservice was also heavily restrained too, which gave it a mega plus in my book because it felt less awkward to watch.

Speaking of Nendoroids, I was thinking of buying either these two since I'm a huge Persona 4 fan.
44801d41d7b20919f05150cc16fad731.jpg

bc807f35a11ea3c20c74ed19a870eb98.jpg

I've seen those two in Amazon and Nendo Teddie is more expensive compared to Nendo Yukiko. So tempting to buy either one.

I'm enjoying Chuunibyou a lot. Gotta love the MC and he does remind me of Kyon while Rikka reminds me of Suzumiya. Could be just me though.

^ So what's stopping you?

Let yourself gooooooooooooooooooooo

Eh, I know you love your full-scale figurines, but problem is I just don't have much room for any myself. So with that in mind a pocket sized nendo is perfect. Can't see me really getting too many though, unless one comes along with which I can get a good discount (like this one). Mind you, that Ai-chan Nendo isn't too far away...

Bah. You'll start "making room" once you see another one. Nendos are meticulously crafted so when you see more, you feel compelled to buy more so you can put them beside each other.

^ So what's stopping you?

Let yourself gooooooooooooooooooooo.
The lack of money lol. And not to mention the shipping fees that I may end up since I'm buying it on Amazon unless I can find a cheaper Nendo Teddie/Yukiko.

The lack of money lol. And not to mention the shipping fees that I may end up since I'm buying it on Amazon unless I can find a cheaper Nendo Teddie/Yukiko.

If you want some good bargains, I'd lurk the myfigurecollection forum\Buy Sell & Trade\User sales ever so often.
Make an account.

Search for whatever it is you're interested in. Add it to your wishlist.

When people mark items in their collection for sale, you'll be notified via email.

Back