The Gentlemen's Virtual Racing Club (Closed for now)PC 

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 903 comments
I prefer the International layout but either would do. Have you tried Eastern Creek?

I prefer International too, but the National felt a little more proper since it used the old start/finish straight. We could do the full version, we might get a little more strung out though. I'd like to take it to a track where it actually raced.

Anyone tried this car?

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/1990-vauxhall-cavalier-btcc.115945/

I tried it the other night and thought it was pretty good for a mod car. I'm thinking about taking it to one of the Silverstone layouts (National?) after we get back from Mt. Panorama.
Brandon,

Just sent you follows on GTP and Steam. :-)

I'll give that mod a try, Silverstone Intl is my test track, but I like all variants. 👍

EDIT: The car drives MUCH better than it looks. :dopey:

Last edited:
Had another practice tonight. I'm having real issues with turn 3, I either slow down too much and the car bogs down or I go in too fast and bugger it up. I've managed to get it OK on a couple of laps which netted me a 1.22.669 and a 1.22.832 but apart from that I'm in the 23s most of the time, which is frustrating when I know I can do 22s.

I also keep cutting a little bit much and it is so rough off line that it spits you off the track if you push the friendship just that bit too far. I think my comfortable pace come race day without risking off tracks and whatnot will be in the high 23 to low 24 range which seems to be where a lot of you are so it should be a good little race.

Might not be able to stick around for the second race but hopefully I can.

How many of you have been practising the GT3s at Bathurst? I don't know if it's a game update or whatever but I seem to be so slow in them lately. At Spa, which is my usual test track I'm about 4 seconds slower than my PBs. It's causing me a lot of self doubt! I do a fast lap and think it felt really quick and smooth and then I see I barely got in the 20s when my PB is a 24. Anyone else getting this? Is a 2.16ish laptime at Bathurst close to where you guys are? Seems slow.

Had another practice tonight. I'm having real issues with turn 3, I either slow down too much and the car bogs down or I go in too fast and bugger it up. I've managed to get it OK on a couple of laps which netted me a 1.22.669 and a 1.22.832 but apart from that I'm in the 23s most of the time, which is frustrating when I know I can do 22s.

I also keep cutting a little bit much and it is so rough off line that it spits you off the track if you push the friendship just that bit too far. I think my comfortable pace come race day without risking off tracks and whatnot will be in the high 23 to low 24 range which seems to be where a lot of you are so it should be a good little race.

How many of you have been practising the GT3s at Bathurst? I don't know if it's a game update or whatever but I seem to be so slow in them lately. At Spa, which is my usual test track I'm about 4 seconds slower than my PBs. It's causing me a lot of self doubt! I do a fast lap and think it felt really quick and smooth and then I see I barely got in the 20s when my PB is a 24. Anyone else getting this? Is a 2.16ish laptime at Bathurst close to where you guys are? Seems slow.

Are you talking about the downhill left-hander? That and the turn following it (the right-hander before the bridge) are my two favorite turns on the track. For turn 3 I lift just a smidgen about 50 meters before the turn so the front end settles and gets some bite, then I mash the throttle and just sail through the turn at full speed in 5th gear. If you keep it flat the whole way or brake into the turn the rear end is likely to come around but if you let the front end settle you can really zip through there and carry a ton of speed into turn 4. For turn 4 I pretty much do the same, downshift to 4th gear with just a dab of the slow pedal, then mash the loud pedal just after turn-in, molest the inside curb and let it track to the outside curb. It's literally break-neck speed through both of them.

I haven't done any practicing at Bathurst yet, don't know what my lap time is. Other than a few laps there to test the combo I haven't really driven the GT3's much lately and I'm not familiar enough with them to say if there's been a change to them. I do seem to recall one of the most recent updates slowing them down a bit (due to the new tire model?).

Hi guys, I was there for your first race at brands last week (whats) was a really good race till my shifter played up and selected wrong gear, got It fixed now and looking forward to Saturdays race and definitely be around for Bathurst, been waiting for ages to race a decent version of Bathurst on ac. I am thinking of setting up a twitch channel, would anyone mind if I streamed our races? this is just an idea atm, I have pretty much no knowledge of pc's and im not sure my internet will be strong enough.

Hi guys, I was there for your first race at brands last week (whats) was a really good race till my shifter played up and selected wrong gear, got It fixed now and looking forward to Saturdays race and definitely be around for Bathurst, been waiting for ages to race a decent version of Bathurst on ac. I am thinking of setting up a twitch channel, would anyone mind if I streamed our races? this is just an idea atm, I have pretty much no knowledge of pc's and im not sure my internet will be strong enough.

Stream away! I've considered doing the same, would be cool for others to be able to watch the race if they're not able to attend. I haven't looked into it yet but I'd presume it's probably fairly easy to get working. Isn't there an option for it to save the video so we could go back and watch it later? That would be really cool to have a video archive of the races.

Edit: Created a channel for GVRC, I'll tinker with it tonight and see if I can figure out how to get a stream going.

Last edited:

Some of the cars are slower, maybe all of them, since the camber update. It's hard to tell because I don't drive them that often, but I can't get close to the 650S times at Brands for example, but can with the GTR. And if you look at the RSR leaderboards, most of the top times were set in December and very few in January and February.

:D

Screen shot 2016-02-03 at 12.59.26 PM.png

Are you talking about the downhill left-hander? That and the turn following it (the right-hander before the bridge) are my two favorite turns on the track. For turn 3 I lift just a smidgen about 50 meters before the turn so the front end settles and gets some bite, then I mash the throttle and just sail through the turn at full speed in 5th gear. If you keep it flat the whole way or brake into the turn the rear end is likely to come around but if you let the front end settle you can really zip through there and carry a ton of speed into turn 4. For turn 4 I pretty much do the same, downshift to 4th gear with just a dab of the slow pedal, then mash the loud pedal just after turn-in, molest the inside curb and let it track to the outside curb. It's literally break-neck speed through both of them.

I haven't done any practicing at Bathurst yet, don't know what my lap time is. Other than a few laps there to test the combo I haven't really driven the GT3's much lately and I'm not familiar enough with them to say if there's been a change to them. I do seem to recall one of the most recent updates slowing them down a bit (due to the new tire model?).
Sorry, I meant turn 4 by the sound of it. Turn 3 is no biggie, but yeah turn 4 I downshift to 4Th but I can't seem to get it turned in enough without scrubbing off too much speed, and as the exit is a long uphill section it's probably the most important corner on the whole track for exit speed. That and the corner before the chicane.

Sorry, I meant turn 4 by the sound of it. Turn 3 is no biggie, but yeah turn 4 I downshift to 4Th but I can't seem to get it turned in enough without scrubbing off too much speed, and as the exit is a long uphill section it's probably the most important corner on the whole track for exit speed. That and the corner before the chicane.

That one is a bit trickier and a lot of times I end up scrubbing off a bit more speed than I'd like, but it's usually not too much. But yeah, that's probably the most important turn on the track to get right because if you flub it you'll lose a lot of time on the uphill section. My only advice is the standard advice, it's better to scrub off a little more speed on entry in order to maximize your speed on exit. Hug the left-hand curb before you turn in, use as much curb as possible at the apex, and let it run to the outside curb on exit. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you have two wheels on the apex curb you're good, so abuse it like it's a rental car. :sly:

That one is a bit trickier and a lot of times I end up scrubbing off a bit more speed than I'd like, but it's usually not too much. But yeah, that's probably the most important turn on the track to get right because if you flub it you'll lose a lot of time on the uphill section. My only advice is the standard advice, it's better to scrub off a little more speed on entry in order to maximize your speed on exit. Hug the left-hand curb before you turn in, use as much curb as possible at the apex, and let it run to the outside curb on exit. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you have two wheels on the apex curb you're good, so abuse it like it's a rental car. :sly:
Tonight I gave it another go, only this time I compared my best laptime and my average laptime in Motec i2 and looked at the specific section I'm losing speed in. After that, I saw what I was doing wrong and was able to punch out a few more laps in the high 22 second range. Turns out in an effort to flow the car more I was actually under braking the car. I needed to be later but harder on the brake, then off it quicker. Seems like it was a case of over thinking and so I just needed to try and go back to basics :banghead: I'll probably lose it again come race day when the pressure is on. Had enough of this combo now lol. I won't drive it again till Sunday morning.

Edit; Regarding streaming via Twitch. I downloaded OBS and set it up according to recommendations from the website. It's very clever - if you set the resolution at 1080p it will just stream the centre screen (you can also save the output to a video file) I set it to downscale to 720p in order to increase the fps to 60 and it looks good.

Anyway, I set up a twitch account (punknoodle_nick) and did a quick test and it seems to work, but at some stage I'd like someone to watch it while I test it to see if it works ok. Also have to test having Team Speak as an audio source. I've connected to a Sydney server and my speeds should be pretty good (Speedtest gave me an upload speed of 38Mbps and a download speed of 101Mbps).

All going well I should be able to stream the race on Sunday morning. I've never used anything like this so I don't have fancy screen overlays or stuff like that but it should be good enough. I think there is an option to save the stream as well on twitch so it can be shared to YouTube later which would be good as I assume anyone interested in watching it probably is probably either racing or else busy, which is the reason they aren't racing lol.

Last edited:
Tonight I gave it another go, only this time I compared my best laptime and my average laptime in Motec i2 and looked at the specific section I'm losing speed in. After that, I saw what I was doing wrong and was able to punch out a few more laps in the high 22 second range. Turns out in an effort to flow the car more I was actually under braking the car. I needed to be later but harder on the brake, then off it quicker. Seems like it was a case of over thinking and so I just needed to try and go back to basics :banghead: I'll probably lose it again come race day when the pressure is on. Had enough of this combo now lol. I won't drive it again till Sunday morning.

I did a couple laps last night in the Merc AMG GT3 (not the fastest of the bunch) and was able to do low 22's so I'd say you're on the pace (but still probably 10 seconds slower than Mr. Penso. :lol: )

Punk, I appreciate you trying to get the track in order for our race but you really must lay off the pints before getting on your lawnmower. Our thoughts are with you and your family in your time of recovery.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/02/04/man-hospitalised-after-bathurst-lawn-mower-crash/

Just so we are clear, in the post you quoted I'm talking about Donnington, I got confused when you said you did a 22 in the Merc as that should be a lot faster than the Fiat lol.

Yeah I saw that in the news. One of the drivers of the race this weekend (and also a full time driver in the V8 Supercar series, Dave Reynolds) posted that picture and said "Old mate had a bit of understeer though Forrest Elbow". Made me chuckle.

Also, I edited my post above with some info regarding streaming, in case you missed it.

Just so we are clear, in the post you quoted I'm talking about Donnington, I got confused when you said you did a 22 in the Merc as that should be a lot faster than the Fiat lol.

Yeah I saw that in the news. One of the drivers of the race this weekend (and also a full time driver in the V8 Supercar series, Dave Reynolds) posted that picture and said "Old mate had a bit of understeer though Forrest Elbow". Made me chuckle.

Also, I edited my post above with some info regarding streaming, in case you missed it.

Sorry, I had Bathurst on the brain and knew you were talking about it earlier. I haven't done a ton of practice at Donington but seem to be stuck in the 23's.

I'll check out OBS. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to stream and run the server all at the same time, but I can allow others to stream on the GVRC channel so I might take volunteers to stream it live. At the very least it sounds like OBS could still be useful to me, since I can have it record just the one screen and it saves as a video file I could use it to record the replay after the race is done and then I could change views and such to create a better video than just being stuck to my view, then upload it to youtube the day after the race. I'll get something sorted, hopefully.

Finally starting to get the hang of this combo. Brindle's tune (attached below) helped a lot. Give it a try.

Here's my best run, a 1:21.366

Attachments

• Brindle_500s.zip
    381 bytes · Views: 18
I think we should all try and stay in the 23's so we can have a close race. For those that went faster no more practicing allowed!

I keep it flat through there now, as long as the weight is stable and your line is pretty straight the back end stays where it should. Is Brindle going to join us? He's more than welcome to come and keep you guys at the front company.

1,21 and 1,22's, congratulation guy's, those a pretty good laps, it looks like it is going to be a fast pace race.:gtpflag:

I am sure I can do a 1,22 at Donington, but most likely not in an Abarth.:lol:

Can't make Friday Fun until around 10:30pm EST at the earliest, will check if anyone's still around. And will definitely miss Sat, but might have a look in @RReed43's room in a few hours from now for a few laps.

All I can do is 25's constantely. I'm so last, but I won't give up! :lol:

Don't worry, at the last race I think we had a 3-4 second spread between 10 drivers during qualifying so I'm sure you'll find someone to keep you company. :)

For the next race, will there be a set number of each type of car available to race? Each car drives differently obviously and if we have done our practice in one and then come race day our car isn't available it could make things a little tricky and cause more accidents as people aren't used to the car they are driving and only have a short amount of time to adjust and be competitive. It's a tight track up the top of the mountain so it's important to know the car and be comfortable.

Perhaps we can set up an entry list table on this thread and reserve a car ahead of time if that's the case.

I've done all my practice so far in the Mercedes AMG GT3 so if possible I'd like to reserve that :)

I'll have to look at how it works in the server app. I know I can at least allow several of each but I'm not sure if there's a limit. @Wiz do you know? I know I can allow more liveries than there are entries but I don't know what the upper limit is.

Back