The Graphics

• Thread starter citroengt1
  • 221 comments

Graphics quality, what do you think?

• Total voters
I disagree. I think that the lighting is better in GTS, but the environments in general are worse. We're yet to see how GTS handles weather or night.

Considering that we have early footage with some notable issues, all I'm comfortable saying is that the graphics of GTS are in the same ballpark as FM6 and pCARS. They may end up being significantly better, but they're not, yet.

Not at all. They still have to hit a solid 60 fps, so it may be that they need to downgrade the graphics from this build in order to do so. They wouldn't be the first developer to release with downgraded graphics compared to early gameplay.
Other than obviously the Tokyo track, which environments did you not feel too impressed about?

72% chose graphics will rise? PD said they were working to optimize GTS for 60 fps. Don't be stupid, you perfectly know they will dumb it down even more to hit that mark.

And screw VR by the way. Just like they wasted time, money and resources with 3D on ps3.

I disagree. I think that the lighting is better in GTS, but the environments in general are worse. We're yet to see how GTS handles weather or night.

Considering that we have early footage with some notable issues, all I'm comfortable saying is that the graphics of GTS are in the same ballpark as FM6 and pCARS. They may end up being significantly better, but they're not, yet.

Not at all. They still have to hit a solid 60 fps, so it may be that they need to downgrade the graphics from this build in order to do so. They wouldn't be the first developer to release with downgraded graphics compared to early gameplay.
Not on Willow Spring
I think GTS looks alot better than PCars on that track

Not on Willow Spring

PCARS isn't on the same level as, say, forza 6 IMO. The only times I find it looks super pretty is when the sun rises and sets.

Remember that they have to find at least a handful of frames to iron out the stuttering that we saw. Then they also have to add in damage, weather, and night with all it's extra light sources. These things are not without impact.

If the conditions we've seen so far was all the engine had to face, you might be right. But as it stands, it was basically a minimum stress situation, and there were still some minor issues.

I don't think it's a given at all that the graphics will improve by any significant margin. I think they'll be doing well if they can optimise what they have to a steady 60, and add in a decent looking set of static rain and night conditions.

Yeah I don't think it will improve by much, but flickering shadows will be lessened and they'll no doubt be improving the AA, also adding skid marks and dust kick off.

You're correct but my point was that the build they're showing is an old stable build and with the rate of them improving stuff over the past few days it's probable that the visual quality is there but they can't have 20 cars on it and have the performance be tolerable.

Not on Willow Spring

PCARS isn't on the same level as, say, forza 6 IMO. The only times I find it looks super pretty is when the sun rises and sets.

Here we come to the crux of the matter. Consistency. Something that PD hasn't handled too well in the past when it comes to vehicles. However, if they can achieve parity with all the included locations, then it will be pleasing to know that their half-assedness doesn't cover all visual aspects of the finished product. I would much rather have average-to-good looking environments across the entire game, than have fantastic ones in one place, but eyesores in another.

Wow, getting straight to the versus-thread point in the very first sentence here...

From all the direct-feed video I've gone through, I'm inclined to agree with this post:

Personally I think the visual differences between FM6 and GTS are smaller than say FM4 and GT5/6, some things look better in GT, others in Forza, but I'd have a hard time arguing that either one is not good enough. All looks good to me.

The two titles are at a very similar level, and it mostly comes down to personal preference. I do hope PD can maintain a locked 60fps though, as that has a big impact on my enjoyment of the game during racing.

Comparing Scape shots to other games misses the point by a huge margin.

Those who think PCars has good graphics are correct and wrong at the same time.
Correct: The details are amazing, the particles are good too.
Wrong: The flipping lighting man, it is horrible. It's like every car is painted with a candy paint.

Oh pozz kolega Hrvat. :D

Having watched the 1080p in-game videos on a 1080p screen at full-size, I can say that the graphics are good enough (aka on-par with the competition). Nurb looks great, but some parts look like it's still work in progress (which is fine at this point in time). Only complaint I have is that the cockpits appear to dark.

As for Willow Springs: that track is way to dull IMO to make a good comparison, it's a horrible track for graphics reference.

Other than obviously the Tokyo track, which environments did you not feel too impressed about?

The oval was dull and simplistic, even by oval standards. If it was a real oval, then maybe it could be excused as a realistic implementation of that specific track. But if they're making an imaginary oval, make it look interesting.
Tokyo obviously, as you say. Maybe we can call it the grey hell.

Brands looked good, but I thought the race atmosphere was lacking. It looks more like a closed track day than an actual race. I'd like to see more trackside stuff to add "life".
The Nurb looks good. It's also a bit quiet, but that suits it's nature as a very large track. One expects the spectators to be more spread out.

Willow looks good, although it's a bit of a dull track by nature. The hot air balloons were a great idea to spice it up. I think it's the one that needs the least additional work,

That's sort of the thing though, right? In simple conditions GTS and FM look better than pCARS because they're static, but pCARS can have these dynamic situations that are incredibly engaging.

How much graphical quality do you give up for that dynamicism? Not heaps, but at the same time it does mean that in general pCARS looks worse. Hence why I'm not really that keen on saying that either of them looks better or worse, they're simply different approaches. Some prefer a lesser overall quality that allows more variety (ironically, what GT5 and 6 did last gen), some prefer a static environment that allows the very best and most realistic visuals.

Not on Willow Spring

I'm noticing a trend. Whenever I say something like this, someone cherry picks a specific situation in which GTS looks better.

Maybe I need to spell this out clearer. While there are situations where GTS or pCARS or Forza may be individually better, I find that overall the graphical experience of the three is roughly similar. I'm yet to see anything from any of the three games that categorically blows the others away, outside of Scapes.

Scapes is a whole different thing, and it is incredible, but when I compare the three games I'm talking about gameplay, not bullshots.

Yeah I don't think it will improve by much, but flickering shadows will be lessened and they'll no doubt be improving the AA, also adding skid marks and dust kick off.

You have no idea whether they will or can add AA.

You're correct but my point was that the build they're showing is an old stable build and with the rate of them improving stuff over the past few days it's probable that the visual quality is there but they can't have 20 cars on it and have the performance be tolerable.

It has been reported that they had updated builds every 8 hours. That doesn't sound old to me.

You have a whole lot of wishful thinking. You want the visual quality to improve, as we all do. But you're unable to accept that it's entirely possible that it may not, or it may even end up being worse.

@Imari They better, it looks awful now.

No, it doesn't. It just doesn't look spectacularly better than the competition, like we've seen in the past with GT3 and GT5P. It's a fine looking game, it's just not incredible. Which is probably fine, other developers are not exactly sitting on their hands. At this stage of console gaming Polyphony really has very little edge over any other dev.

The game could do a lot worse than releasing as it looks now, assuming that they stabilise the frame rate and tidy up the rough edges. GT5 and 6 at their worst were relatively far, far worse than the worst I saw of the GTS footage.

I also don't agree it looks awful. And I am even looking at PC-graphics most of the time. IMO, the visual differences are mostly art style. GT always has that clean (almost sterile) look with excellent lighting.

Sure. some tracks will look better than others, as will specific situations look better than others. The same applies to all other games, e.g. for Project CARS and Assetto Corsa I can show you several screens that are absolutely gorgeous and at the same time several that are absolutely awful. Each engine has its strengths and weaknesses.

No, it doesn't. It just doesn't look spectacularly better than the competition, like we've seen in the past with GT3 and GT5P. It's a fine looking game, it's just not incredible. Which is probably fine, other developers are not exactly sitting on their hands. At this stage of console gaming Polyphony really has very little edge over any other dev.

The game could do a lot worse than releasing as it looks now, assuming that they stabilise the frame rate and tidy up the rough edges. GT5 and 6 at their worst were relatively far, far worse than the worst I saw of the GTS footage.

ss2016-05-22at05.18.397yy9.jpg

look at the bonnet.

72% chose graphics will rise? PD said they were working to optimize GTS for 60 fps. Don't be stupid, you perfectly know they will dumb it down even more to hit that mark.

And screw VR by the way. Just like they wasted time, money and resources with 3D on ps3.

Did you try the 3D mode on PS3? Once well calibrated it was absolutely spectacular. The sense of speed was increased exponentially and even with the drop in the quality of the graphics which, honestly, it wasn't that much at least for me, everything was incredible.
I do have to say, I definitely recommended this in the past and I'll do it again now, the best 3D for games that I've ever tried (and the one that I'm using) was coming from the Bravia TVs from Sony. Absolutely brilliant.
I spent a lot of time looking for the right one and is a blast. So, for me, 3D is a very VERY nice touch. VR? I'm all in.

Coming from both a GT and Forza player I think the graphics look good as they are now but I do think they will probably slightly improve some.

Gfx are great even at current state and better than other sims. Not including DC, NFS. I think the reason for disappointment is the trailer.

I would say GTS should take Pcars as a benchmark instead. Dynamic TOD is a must have feature. I cannot imagine if the 24hrs race there is no change in lighting. They already ruled out dynamic weather which is a shame. Other thing to consider is cockpit and driver animation. Pcars have nailed it. Pcars and AC both may be look little dull but have realistic lighting and more immersive cockpit view. Forza lighting is artificial and cockpit view is also bad.

If they can get Pcars style FOV and driver animation that would make a big difference IMO. Although I have watched GTS trailer more than 20times and like music, trailer now. They definitely need to put a great trailer for E3. That really makes a difference :lol:

Yeah, if you go watch that latest GTPlanet Ferrari 458 GT3 gameplay footage,
you can see how the tree's leaves shadows are loaded like 20 meters in front of the car.
What were they thinking?
You can see that from an airplane!

View attachment 548980
talking about graphics, i cropped out this from the gameplay in Gt sport official website.

i dont know what to say.

you can see how the tree's leaves shadows are loaded like 20 meters in front of the car.
What were they thinking?

ugh...

How many times does it need to be pointed out that this is an unfinished game that's at least 6 months away from release? Stuff like this tends to appear in non-finished games. Jeez.

What were they thinking?

What were they thinking?

i thought i was the only one who noticed it but i would rather wait someone else to point it out frist :P

actually other thing i had seen is at the section leading into nordschleife flugplatz corner, thats where the shadows get real bad flickering.i thought my eye is playing trick with me but i replayed it 3 times and its the same. dont tell me this is due to youtube encoding problem . :3

Did you try the 3D mode on PS3? Once well calibrated it was absolutely spectacular. The sense of speed was increased exponentially and even with the drop in the quality of the graphics which, honestly, it wasn't that much at least for me, everything was incredible.
I do have to say, I definitely recommended this in the past and I'll do it again now, the best 3D for games that I've ever tried (and the one that I'm using) was coming from the Bravia TVs from Sony. Absolutely brilliant.
I spent a lot of time looking for the right one and is a blast. So, for me, 3D is a very VERY nice touch. VR? I'm all in.
How many of all GT players around the world own a 3D tv? How many will get VR?...

ugh...

How many times does it need to be pointed out that this is an unfinished game that's at least 6 months away from release? Stuff like this tends to appear in non-finished games. Jeez.

i dont know, isn't this thread suppose to discuss about the graphics? definitely we will be discussing we had seen, if not what would we be discussing?

After watching all the gameplay closely and everyone's comments, here are my thoughts.

1. Artstyle is more realistic than Forza.

2. At this point Forza has better environmental details (actual foliage instead of textures, especially on the Nurburgring). Although GT's trailer Nurburgring vs. the latest day 2 gameplay has trackside details added (more bushes in certain places), so I assume Nurburgring was what they intended for the event but had to rush it a bit as they are still working on it.

3. GT is most definitely gonna improve on optimization (fence graphical glitching on Nurb I can't imagine would be left alone).
  • However for 60 fps optimization, I am somewhat skeptical as PD with the last 2 installments has been not as consistent in delivering a 60 fps experience (while Turn 10 has done a very strict 60 fps performance [even in weather??? not sure]). Even GT5 Prologue wasn't a perfect 60 fps (although only a few hiccups).
  • GT5 Prologue had occassional screen tearing (minor), but GT5 and 6 had significant amounts of tearing. Again, I think PD aren't as good in having strict consistent performance while Turn 10 has a better track record here with Forza.

4. I thought GT had no interior windshield reflections, but closer inspection of Mazda on Brands Hatch shows that there are interior reflections, it's just very faint compared to the obvious reflections in Forza (Forza's is too strong at all times, but GT's interior reflections have never been obvious enough at any time in the gameplay so far shown, my opinion).
  • Almost all objects seem to cast dynamic shadows, unlike GT6 which took out a lot of objects casting shadows (like Pagani's cockpit reflections would show the road beneath the car, cockpit dials didn't cast shadow, etc).
  • There is slight amount of sunlight leaking into front dashboard of the mazda tach/speed-ometers when in shadow), but nitpicking (Forza has same issue occasionally). Would have to do with object shadow-casting mesh (not sure what to call it).
  • Still need work on certain things; Mazda's interior airconditioner outer ring material should be shiny, cockpit gear indicator almost invisible, but this is just nitpicking. Easily fixed.
  • In Nurburgring race, smoke goes straight into the car itself (can be seen from the cockpit).
  • Hope they add little details like the engine (if visible) shaking when revved, like the ZR1 or hot rods in Forza.

5. GT has more against itself than Forza with needed VR support and ability to stream footage live flawlessly for e-sports.
  • However, Forza supports 24 cars, while up until now, GT's current build only supports 20.
  • So it's comparable to Forza, but I definitely do NOT expect it to be anywhere near DriveClub and that as fact. Evolution Studios I thinks is very talented in producing their game's graphics, but they only have 30 fps with 12 cars (albeit dynamic weather/time). GT's 20 car (so far) and 60 fps with dynamic time (see below) I think means GT must have a lower overall fidelity than DriveClub. So GTS looks amazing for what it's going for.

6. Mazda footage on Brands Hatch which has the least shadow quality, but seems to have dynamic day/night change (time on dashboard changes). For those curious, the dashboard time is changing 1:1 with real life time. Same occurrence with the Mazda car on Nurburgring. Only peculiarity is both on Nurburgring and Brands Hatch, the Mazda's clock starts at 15:00, even though they definitely don't have the same day time setting (maybe the clock just measures gameplay time and there is no dynamic time change, or maybe they just haven't calibrated the clock for whatever time the track starts at). My guess is that it is dynamic time however.

7. It is only 6 months away, so I do not think the visuals can change that drastically, but the smaller details can definitely change in my opinion, for example tire marks which only existed in a later GT5 build. Same could happen for GTS and I expect it to be so. Furthermore, I don't expect the current build to be what we saw, as even tire sounds have changed with a newer build (who knows how much the current build is different).

My opinion, I think the game looks great and one of the best on consoles. In the realm of Forza 6's visuals, but with the same results as last generation (Forza 4 had better environments via higher polygon output, foliage, texures, etc., but GT overall looks better with its spot on lighting and artstyle, and on a technical level surpassing Forza 4 with what GT5 achieved in spite of 3D/Head Tracking/time change/weather change/1280 x 1080p, while GT6 had 3D/time change/weather change/1440 x 1080p.) I was also initially let down when I saw the game from my expectations of the visuals, but I think this is due to the fact of (reasons listed in this post) and that we are spoiled by DriveClub visuals. So I think GTS is actually very good in my opinion once I think about it.

Also how the heck does GTS show footage of selected car on the selected track immediately when it loads it up? It can't be video (since we can have custom livery cars), and it would take WAAY too much memory if it was in video format. GTS seems to have very very quick load times for a game like GT.

Last edited:
"Also how the heck does GTS show footage of selected car on the selected track immediately when it loads it up?"

I think that the load times are animated photo with the overlay of the selected vehicle (much like the photo mode but the moving car) 💡

I agree that the game is promising :cheers:

Latest Posts

Back