The Graphics

• Thread starter citroengt1
  • 221 comments

Graphics quality, what do you think?

• Total voters
We know they exist. Sadly, I don't think we'll see them anytime soon given the current events.

That's the problem here, so many people are basing their opinion of the graphics on replays and photomode. Anyone that's played GT and Forza know that neither really show what the game actually looks like.

Then they're turning around and going "Well this replay doesn't reflect the graphics that Eurogamer/Videogamer mentioned, therefore Eurogamer must be wrong even though they actually played the game itself.".

As far as photomode is concerned, well you might as well just look at pictures of real cars. Replays increase the AA, texture quality, model quality, LoD settings and more.

It's like basing the graphics of Forza 6 on this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1110275&page=8

Is there any direct feed footage of the actual gameplay and not from the replay mode?

Also... what do you mean so what?

Eurogamer has kind of built their name as the judge of graphics this generation... it kinda matters.

Not to mention the direct feed footage is getting pulled.

You mean the Eurogamer sensationlist writer Martin Robinson hat has no technical knowledge nor relation to Eurogamer's Digtal Foundry tech analysis folks?

GTPlanet already posted directed feed gameplay footage, also from the live stream. It's not like replays and gameplay are graphically different in either GT5&6 or Forza, or any other modern racing game anyway.

You mean the Eurogamer sensationlist writer Martin Robinson hat has no technical knowledge nor relation to Eurogamer's Digtal Foundry tech analysis folks?

GTPlanet already posted directed feed gameplay footage, also from the live stream. It's not like replays and gameplay are graphically different in either GT5&6 or Forza, or any other modern racing game anyway.

Uh yes.... yes they are.

That's the problem here, so many people are basing their opinion of the graphics on replays and photomode. Anyone that's played GT and Forza know that neither really show what the game actually looks like.

Then they're turning around and going "Well this replay doesn't reflect the graphics that Eurogamer/Videogamer mentioned, therefore Eurogamer must be wrong even though they actually played the game itself.".

As far as photomode is concerned, well you might as well just look at pictures of real cars. Replays increase the AA, texture quality, model quality, LoD settings and more.

I'm basing my opinion on direct feed of direct gameplay of GTS, from youtube, posted by GTPlanet in the News section. Unfortunately they were taken down.

I'm basing my opinion on direct feed of direct gameplay of GTS, from youtube, posted by GTPlanet in the News section. Unfortunately they were taken down.

Direct Feed on Youtube is about the most useless thing in the world, Youtube compression greatly kills the quality of anything you upload to it.

The Audi R8 video on Willow that got removed was on-board direct gameplay, right? Luckily, there are copycats everywhere and you can still find the vids in Youtube if you search for Gran Turismo Sport and filter on last 24 hours. Will not post links here for obvious reasons.

Direct Feed on Youtube is about the most useless thing in the world, Youtube compression greatly kills the quality of anything you upload to it.

See? You are helping me even more. If from a direct feed from youtube I can see better graphics than GT6 on my tv, then imagine when I have it in front of my eyes.

It's very odd that PD themselves allude to the fact that there is differences.

While you may not notice the level of detail in the cars and tracks while driving in normal gameplay, you will see it in replays and in Photo mode where you can study the images up close

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gtsport/graphics/

Unless that is just an odd translation, and that he's talking about it while you're being at speed. However, I'm not so sure it's that, because in normal gameplay situations, it's very easy to just park and admire something. Either way, it's common nature that anything outside of direct gameplay is usually better looking in these racing games.

The Audi R8 video on Willow that got removed was on-board direct gameplay, right? Luckily, there are copycats everywhere and you can still find the vids in Youtube if you search for Gran Turismo Sport and filter on last 24 hours. Will not post links here for obvious reasons.

Just looked it up, honestly I can't tell anything from the video. It's heavily compressed so I can't even make out any fine details and it's one car on track while in bumper cam.

See? You are helping me even more. If from a direct feed from youtube I can see better graphics than GT6 on my tv, then imagine when I have it in front of my eyes.

Compression can also hide nasty details too like bad aliasing, muddy textures and low texture filtering.

Replays increase the AA, texture quality, model quality, LoD settings and more.

That is factually wrong, with evidence provided.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=163270825&postcount=3963

It's very odd that PD themselves allude to the fact that there is differences.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gtsport/graphics/

Unless that is just an odd translation, and that he's talking about it while you're being at speed. However, I'm not so sure it's that, because in normal gameplay situations, it's very easy to just park and admire something. Either way, it's common nature that anything outside of direct gameplay is usually better looking in these racing games.

They're saying these details are easy to miss when you race during gameplay, but will be noticeable when you stop to look around instead of actually racing.

That is factually wrong, with evidence provided.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=163270825&postcount=3963

They're saying these details are easy to miss when you race during gameplay, but will be noticeable when you stop to look around instead of actually racing.

That's funny because those pictures clearly show that the ground textures in the replay images are higher quality and the texture filtering is higher.(BTW I'm sitting two feet away from a 40" 4k monitor.)

Also, these pictures are with one car on track from what it seems. Forza 6 runs at higher graphical settings(higher polygon car model among other things) with a single car on track. If there were other cars and to focus on we could at least get an idea of model differences and AA differences.

They're saying these details are easy to miss when you race during gameplay, but will be noticeable when you stop to look around instead of actually racing
I was thinking that as well, however, they split the replays away from the "Normal" instances. What I find odd about that is the replay is also moving as well, so it would be odd to separate it from "normal driving." I think with how far the replays camera's actually are from the objects, and how they're also at speed, it would be harder to view them from that mode, rather than actual gameplay.

I'm taking it as them noting a separation, and the fact that it's coupled with the photomode in the sentence (where we know there are obvious differences), that they might actually be hinting at a difference. Who knows, though.

On those photos you posted, the texture differences stick out like a sore thumb.

Found this on DualShockers. Not the best comparison because the GTS footage is not the greatest quality but it gives you a very rough idea of GTS vs. GT6 at the Nurburgring:

Aiding and abetting huh?
anuj_cop.gif

Found this on DualShockers. Not the best comparison because the GTS footage is not the greatest quality but it gives you a very rough idea of GTS vs. GT6 at the Nurburgring:

Thanks for sharing!
There also was a similar comparison, but in Willow Springs with the Audi R8 LMS. The environment looked much more alive when compared to gt6 side-by-side.

Thanks for sharing!
There also was a similar comparison, but in Willow Springs with the Audi R8 LMS. The environment looked much more alive when compared to gt6 side-by-side.

Not only that, everything on GT6 seems so shaky and 2D. Is incredible how we remember things against how they actually look like. Amazing. By the way, the screenshots from the uncompressed video from the Nurburgring are great too.

Getting the same level of detail in actual gameplay as in replays or photomode is never gonna happen. That's the reason different levels of detail exist in the first place. You get full poly count glory in stills and video rendering on closer angles and lower LOD as the camera view gets further away because it causes less strain on the hardware. If it were full blown detail everywhere the lag would be ridiculous. Besides I think that aside from the environment parts and the recycled standard cars GT is very nice to look at, even on the good ol' PS2 with a nice setup

That's funny because those pictures clearly show that the ground textures in the replay images are higher quality and the texture filtering is higher.(BTW I'm sitting two feet away from a 40" 4k monitor.)

Also, these pictures are with one car on track from what it seems. Forza 6 runs at higher graphical settings(higher polygon car model among other things) with a single car on track. If there were other cars and to focus on we could at least get an idea of model differences and AA differences.

So you're going to completely ignore the fact that the pics exhibit exactly what you completely made up. The AA is the same, the modelling and LODs are the same, and outside of the difference in anisotropic filtering for the road, the building and environment textures are exactly the same. Instead you're going to assume all of the similarities are due to one car being on track (which still doesn't disprove that the gameplay and replay pics are the same), and yet you continue to make weird falsified claims without providing any evidence to back it up.

Feel free to further make things up as you go along after seeing that GT6 replays and gameplay have no differences.

gameplay
rVQb.png

replay
tVQb.png

gameplay
uVQb.png

replay
vVQb.png

Getting the same level of detail in actual gameplay as in replays or photomode is never gonna happen. That's the reason different levels of detail exist in the first place. You get full poly count glory in stills and video rendering on closer angles and lower LOD as the camera view gets further away because it causes less strain on the hardware. If it were full blown detail everywhere the lag would be ridiculous. Besides I think that aside from the environment parts and the recycled standard cars GT is very nice to look at, even on the good ol' PS2 with a nice setup

Changes in LOD happen in both gameplay and replay.

Forza does in fact increase quality when there is one car on track vs multiple.

Not sure why you're being combative over this.

BTW in the Forza comparison picture, the track textures are definitely different, the replay textures are definitely higher quality.

Not sure why you're being combative over this.

You're moving goal posts now as the argument was differences in gameplay vs. replay, not one car vs multiple cars.

You're moving goal posts now as the argument was differences in gameplay vs. replay, not one car vs multiple cars.

There are differences in both.

It technically can't be moving goal posts as these two things would be completely unique goal posts to move on their own.

Instead you're going to assume all of the similarities are due to one car being on track (which still doesn't disprove that the gameplay and replay pics are the same)

BTW you're the one that brought back up single vs multiple cars with your above snarky comment.

EDIT -

In my original comment I meant to include photomode as part of what changes settings.

Photomode definitely does increase AA and model quality.

My original comment:

Last edited:

Yeah I'm aware of that. That's why I pointed out the camera's viewing distance. But during replays you already have some information processed and buffered for playback I believe. There are no extra/realtime calculations to be done at that point, besides picking up the different LOD's and camera angles so it shouldn't be as demanding. But I'm guessing the higher LOD is used only in photomode (just an assumption)

So you're going to completely ignore the fact that the pics exhibit exactly what you completely made up. The AA is the same, the modelling and LODs are the same, and outside of the difference in anisotropic filtering for the road, the building and environment textures are exactly the same. Instead you're going to assume all of the similarities are due to one car being on track (which still doesn't disprove that the gameplay and replay pics are the same), and yet you continue to make weird falsified claims without providing any evidence to back it up.

Feel free to further make things up as you go along after seeing that GT6 replays and gameplay have no differences.

gameplay
rVQb.png

replay
tVQb.png

gameplay
uVQb.png

replay
vVQb.png

Hard to make a good judgement through a cell phone, but there is a definite difference in the pics. Lighting is definitely different, and seems more natural, and I'm not sure if it's because of that, but road and barrier textures seem more sharp and pronounced. Building in the back right seems to look a lot better as well, but I'm wondering if that's due to the lighting difference.

There is a definite difference, although hard to tell for me right now off a cell phone.

If it's anything like FM6 Apex on PC, it simply scales to maintain the framerate. So many cars on screen will have impact, but also weather effects, smoke, etc.

Back