The Great Camber Experiment: Stage 2 "Silverstone" (Test Drivers Wanted)

• Thread starter DolHaus
  • 109 comments
You can if you would like it too but right now it's just getting a hang of braking with out locking the wheels and or fishing the tail.
I don't think you can lock up the wheels by braking , at least not with abs1 :confused:, unless you can input more power to the brakes than with a PS3 controller. So the issue might be else where :odd:, it might just take more time than you anticipated to get the hang of your new controller (lucky you 👍). As you know, as you get older the learning curve gets steeper, that's just the way the cookie crumbles, so take your time we'll wait for you at the finish line.:lol:

(I just couldn't help myself adding that last line, I wonder why?)

yours sincerely
......Table Topper

4_12_13.gif

That's the line I'm using its the braking at T3 that's killing me I can't hold the slide the outside front is sliding out on me. It also happens in T5 too much weight shifting forward gotta get used to it.

I don't think you can lock up the wheels by braking , at least not with abs1 :confused:, unless you can input more power to the brakes than with a PS3 controller. So the issue might be else where :odd:, it might just take more time than you anticipated to get the hang of your new controller (lucky you 👍). As you know, as you get older the learning curve gets steeper, that's just the way the cookie crumbles, so take your time we'll wait for you at the finish line.:lol:
You're correct the wheels are not locking but the front is overloading and back is sliding out. I've managed a 54.725 today and several 54.9xx's today as well so I'm getting there. Thankfully even in my "old" age I'm a fast learner

That's the line I'm using its the braking at T3 that's killing me I can't hold the slide the outside front is sliding out on me. It also happens in T5 too much weight shifting forward gotta get used to it.

You're correct the wheels are not locking but the front is overloading and back is sliding out. I've managed a 54.725 today and several 54.9xx's today as well so I'm getting there. Thankfully even in my "old" age I'm a fast learner
Becketts (T3) is a tricky one, its much slower than you think it is. The trick is to aim to go from apex to apex in a straight line, clip the inside of T2 with the left wheels so that your right wheels clip the apex of T3. Brake about a car length before the apex of T2 and just hold it in as straight a line as you can as you shift down to 2nd aiming to stay tight to the inside curb. Release the brakes, stay off the throttle and let the car settle as you try to find grip with the front end, stay tight to the inside curb and off the throttle until it dissapears. You are now looking for the exit point which is tricky to spot, I try to wait until I can see the bridge before getting back on the power but its easy to get impatient.
Due to the flatness of the course you just can't see anything ahead of you, you just have to chuck the car in and hope thats the way the road goes, this is my biggest gripe with the course :lol:

Becketts (T3) is a tricky one, its much slower than you think it is. The trick is to aim to go from apex to apex in a straight line, clip the inside of T2 with the left wheels so that your right wheels clip the apex of T3. Brake about a car length before the apex of T2 and just hold it in as straight a line as you can as you shift down to 2nd aiming to stay tight to the inside curb. Release the brakes, stay off the throttle and let the car settle as you try to find grip with the front end, stay tight to the inside curb and off the throttle until it dissapears. You are now looking for the exit point which is tricky to spot, I try to wait until I can see the bridge before getting back on the power but its easy to get impatient.
That's about what I do, getting used to not over steering the car is the hard part, I figured out that's what's causing my issues for me. On a DS3 your can't over crank the wheel but you can with a wheel go figure lol. As long as i don't fudge up Becketts I am holding 54's with a 54.235 as my best currently. I'm done itch that track for today 130 laps and I need a break from it lol

Sorry for the double post..
Happy days got a new charging cable and my laptop is working again so I can start work on my tuning guide and upload of corning data again :cheers:
Just annoyed the new one is only like 2 feet long and the pro gal one was 8 feet. Ugg warrenty replacement so I can't argue but still 1/4 the length?!?

I think this is a great undertaking, with one exception. Skipping over the tenths (0.1, 0.2, 0.3, etc.) will miss the sweet spot on many cars. Every tenth makes a difference. Also, if this is going to be an accurate test, those tenths have to be taken into account.

I think this is a great undertaking, with one exception. Skipping over the tenths (0.1, 0.2, 0.3, etc.) will miss the sweet spot on many cars. Every tenth makes a difference. Also, if this is going to be an accurate test, those tenths have to be taken into account.
They will be taken into account eventually, unfortunately we've got to establish the basic trends first. Once these are accounted for and documented we can alter the scale of the experiment and refine our approach. 👍

@DolHaus if I may make a suggestion in your main garage post a full outline of the camber experiment plan and put a link to it in the op the of each experiment thread, this might help reduce the I think this a problem posts in the threads.
Starting Tuesday I'll resume testing at HSR and finish the controller set there and than I'll run the wheel there as well. Now that I have a computer again I can actually work on this lol

@DolHaus if I may make a suggestion in your main garage post a full outline of the camber experiment plan and put a link to it in the op the of each experiment thread, this might help reduce the I think this a problem posts in the threads.
Starting Tuesday I'll resume testing at HSR and finish the controller set there and than I'll run the wheel there as well. Now that I have a computer again I can actually work on this lol
Its a good suggestion but the problem is that there isn't really a fixed long term plan, I'm developing the plan as the experiment plays out. I've got a rough idea where I'm going but nothing is set in stone, its just a case of observing the results and refining the methodology until we find some answers. I also don't have much time to spare at the moment, the project is already eating up a lot of my free time as it is

Its a good suggestion but the problem is that there isn't really a fixed long term plan, I'm developing the plan as the experiment plays out. I've got a rough idea where I'm going but nothing is set in stone, its just a case of observing the results and refining the methodology until we find some answers. I also don't have much time to spare at the moment, the project is already eating up a lot of my free time as it is
I hear ya on the free time bit. Now that I have a computer back anytime I'm not working on the camber data I will be finishing my transmission guide and that will eat up the rest of the time I have left in a day.

I think I'm max out for Silverstone :banghead:,
Best Lap
54.142 Wednesday
54.202 Thursday
53.916 Friday
53.906 Saturday
53.895 Sunday Morning
53.794 Sunday Night
So I'll start tomorrow, watch this, I'll be turning at 45.500 :lol:, I know there's no chance of coming face to face with a moose here, but wasn't there a fox that one day decided to cross during a F1 race. :lol:
@Otaliema , Thorin Cain, F1Racer68, & ALB123, RESPECT YOUR ELDERS and stay behind.
12_7_23.gif

Best Lap
54.142 Wednesday
54.202 Thursday
53.916 Friday
53.906 Saturday
53.895 Sunday Morning
53.794 Sunday Night
So I'll start tomorrow, watch this, I'll be turning at 45.500 :lol:, I know there's no chance of coming face to face with a moose here, but wasn't there a fox that one day decided to cross during a F1 race. :lol:
@Otaliema , Thorin Cain, F1Racer68, & ALB123, RESPECT YOUR ELDERS and stay behind.
12_7_23.gif
Killing those lap times, great job 👍

No moose to worry about but I once saw a badger that was size of Labrador... this isn't directly related to Silverstone in any way, I just thought you should know :lol:

Best Lap
54.142 Wednesday
54.202 Thursday
53.916 Friday
53.906 Saturday
53.895 Sunday Morning
53.794 Sunday Night
12_7_23.gif
Well, looks like someone's been busy. Very impressive times partner! 👍

But please don't be too disappointed if someone catches up, after all the younger generations are often charged with doing better than those who came before. :P It's not so much disrespect as evolution :lol:

I'm halfway through my testing now and the pattern seems very similar (based on lap time) to the results of the first test, I'm beginning to wish I'd put a degree of camber on both ends when I entered it in the contest :lol:

I'm halfway through my testing now and the pattern seems very similar to the results of the first test, I'm beginning to wish I'd put a degree of camber on both ends when I entered it in the contest :lol:
You still won that one ;) it wouldn't have been as close if you had. I'm noticing on HSR at least after 5 camber I'm dropping 3 tenths per degree up my entry speed is going up or remain the same as 1 degree but my mid corner is tanking which is slowing me down over all.

You still won that one ;) it wouldn't have been as close if you had. I'm noticing on HSR at least after 5 camber I'm dropping 3 tenths per degree up my entry speed is going up or remain the same as 1 degree but my mid corner is tanking which is slowing me down over all.
After 5.0 it all gets a bit unpredictable and hard to measure, I probably won't be testing these extreme angles in future experiments once we get the base characteristics established. 👍

I am terribly sorry that I have not yet completed Round 2 of testing. I want to take this very seriously and give 100% to my testing. This past week was quite hectic and I didn't think I really had much time to dedicate to this project. It turns out I had more time than I thought I had, but now the days have gone past. I promise to get Round 2 completed sometime this week. :cheers:

I suppose I could just do like 1 set of camber at a time on a future round if I think I don't have a lot of time some days, but for some reason I feel better trying to bang out like half of the testing in one session and then the second half in the next session. It ensures that I am driving consistently which I think is of utmost importance for this test.

Again, I apologize for not having my data submitted for Round 2 yet, but bare with me and I will have it all completed and submitted before this week ends....hopefully I'll have it finished by like Wednesday, but I don't want to make any promises. With my horrible health, I can be feeling totally fine one day and then sick as a dog, heading to the hospital the next. :ill: Ahhh...my life is a roller coaster. :banghead:

I am terribly sorry that I have not yet completed Round 2 of testing. I want to take this very seriously and give 100% to my testing. This past week was quite hectic and I didn't think I really had much time to dedicate to this project. It turns out I had more time than I thought I had, but now the days have gone past. I promise to get Round 2 completed sometime this week. :cheers:

I suppose I could just do like 1 set of camber at a time on a future round if I think I don't have a lot of time some days, but for some reason I feel better trying to bang out like half of the testing in one session and then the second half in the next session. It ensures that I am driving consistently which I think is of utmost importance for this test.

Again, I apologize for not having my data submitted for Round 2 yet, but bare with me and I will have it all completed and submitted before this week ends....hopefully I'll have it finished by like Wednesday, but I don't want to make any promises. With my horrible health, I can be feeling totally fine one day and then sick as a dog, heading to the hospital the next. :ill: Ahhh...my life is a roller coaster. :banghead:
No need to apologise, I haven't finished my sets for the 2nd round either yet :lol:
There is no rush for the results so take as long as you need 👍

Just found some time to continue this, went for a quick 7 lap run with 1/1 camber to get back the feel for the track, got 0:54.109 , should be able to get this down a bit. Hopefully by monday I should be able to send to you 0/0(finished), 1/1, & 2/2 and get this test back on the track. Do you know at how many km we have to do a restore body rigidity? Might be important to keep the data valid. :cheers:

Just found some time to continue this, went for a quick 7 lap run with 1/1 camber to get back the feel for the track, got 0:54.109 , should be able to get this down a bit. Hopefully by monday I should be able to send to you 0/0(finished), 1/1, & 2/2 and get this test back on the track. Do you know at how many km we have to do a restore body rigidity? Might be important to keep the data valid. :cheers:
Not sure how many miles it is, mine has over 1500 on the clock and still feels fine though. I believe that offline use has barely any effect on the cars condition

Did you go check at the Pit Service to see if they recommend to do it? I`m not sure how much it would have an effect on the results but I think it`s not wort the gamble.

I was just about to export my first test and decided to go look at the replay to make sure I didn't step out off bounds, my time was 0:53.808 (same time written on the file) but my replay time was 0:53.992 , has this happened to anybody else? I went to check my 1/1 test, my real time was 0:53.864 but it writes my "Best Lap" at 0:54.214 & 0:55.204 . When I check with the replay clock it seems to be right , around 53.xxx . Do I scrap this or do I send it?

Back