The Great Project Cars Whinging and Crying Thread

A publisher will normally provide the funds and manage all the game distribution and Pr.
SMS provided the funds with the community and did some of the pr while bandi did some of the marketing and distribution. As a result bandai were SMS's distribution and marketing partners. The game is self published.
Their actual press release that backs up my statement.
http://www.bandainamcoent.com/company/news.html?news_id=186&page=23

If it is indeed self published, there won't be Bandai Namco there at all. Publishing a software entails the whole process to get the physical or digital copies to the customer ( but it does not always means publisher is also the developer ) I will stick to SMS as developer and Bandai Namco as publisher, make sense that way for me :) A publisher involvement can be from funding/developing to marketing and distributing or can be limited to only distribution ( pressing the disc, packaging, retail, ads etc )

A software can be made/developed and never get published, if the developer can't do it or find a partner to do it, aka development hell :P

Last edited:
Even after all this, I think the game probably just needed another six months or so of work. Anyone who followed the game closely earlier this year knows that SMS ran out of money and was funding the last weeks of development out of pocket. They were also probably pressured by Bandai Namco to get the game out the door. If SMS had a choice, I don't think the game would have released in May.

In spite of Ian's behavior, it's tin-foil-hat stuff to believe SMS was out to scam people with a broken game. Yes, the community on the official forum is abominable and communication about the state of the game leading up to release (specifically console versions) was lacking, but at least for us here on GTPlanet, if you were around to read what our resident WMD members were reporting and explaining, you could pretty much see it all coming: the game wasn't really ready.

Because of this, I'm glad that I've waited and watched from the sidelines, yet I also still believe that with time, SMS can sort things out. But I'll be waiting until they do.

So basically, once you hit the track, the bare minimum a racing game should be in 2015.

Let's not put this stamp on all racing games; after all, being a racing game (Forza) is one thing, while being a proper motorsport racing is another (PCARS), or PDOUCHE as I will affectionately refer to it now.

I'm still in the middle of the review but I'll list what I think is terrible in this game

-The replays (frequent stutter, awful generic cameras)
-The Photomode (laughable really in 2015)
-The UI (makes GT5 look like Driveclub)
-Ben Collin's "guidance"
-The incredible lack of a blind spot indicator

Half-assed on consoles.. all the way.

VXR
Wow, so my genuine misgivings are nullified because I didn't know the exact terms of Bandai Namco's involvement in getting their name on the box?!

Just how staunch are people willing to be for this game?

Milestone are getting endless grief for their handling of Ride and MotoGP 15, yet SMS seem to get a pass because they were crowd funded, is that it?

The fact remains that on Xbox One it just isn't a decent game worthy of £65. Sure it gets some things right, but getting there is full of pitfalls. Once 2.0 drops I'll try it again because for some mad reason I don't feel inclined to cut my losses with it, because I can see there's solid potential to enjoy this game.

Sad, ain't it? You see a launch title that was rushed to release and still turn out so technically beautiful (FM5) and then you see PCARS...

pCARS is an example of viral marketing gone mad, it was near impossible to find some honest interpretation of the console versions until a few weeks before launch and post-launch the consumers have been treated in hilarious fashion. For those who are diehard pCARS fans I hope the sequel's console versions aren't as badly made. Like I've said before, I paid 35 quid for the first game and got 37 hours out of it, a monies' worth by my own accord. However, I will not be purchasing the sequel until a month or two after launch in order to assess how it turns out.

Correct. Ridiculous amount of hype. Stuck with it now.. hope patch 2.0 makes the game feel a little new-gen and more enjoyable. I hate some of the cartoony and retro-game engine sounds on the road cars. Some of them actually sound realistic.. but the depth and character going up and down the revs.. isn't there. Sad, even in the year 2015.

Even after all this, I think the game probably just needed another six months or so of work. Anyone who followed the game closely earlier this year knows that SMS ran out of money and was funding the last weeks of development out of pocket. They were also probably pressured by Bandai Namco to get the game out the door. If SMS had a choice, I don't think the game would have released in May.

In spite of Ian's behavior, it's tin-foil-hat stuff to believe SMS was out to scam people with a broken game. Yes, the community on the official forum is abominable and communication about the state of the game leading up to release (specifically console versions) was lacking, but at least for us here on GTPlanet, if you were around to read what our resident WMD members were reporting and explaining, you could pretty much see it all coming: the game wasn't really ready.

Because of this, I'm glad that I've waited and watched from the sidelines, yet I also still believe that with time, SMS can sort things out. But I'll be waiting until they do.

Oh? 4 years + delays weren't enough to iron things out and make sure the console versions don't veer too far off from the PC version in terms of quality and final product? Riiiiiight...

Let's not put this stamp on all racing games; after all, being a racing game (Forza) is one thing, while being a proper motorsport racing is another (PCARS), or PDOUCHE as I will affectionately refer to it now.
Nothing wrong with legitimate complaints, there are many when it comes to Project Cars, but referring to the game as you did is childish and immature and makes me, at least, ignore anything you might have to say that is a valid concern.

Even though I bought it at launch, and have had plenty of hours of enjoyment out of it already, I can wait as long as it takes for them to fix all the bugs and bring out all the dlc people want, because I've just got so many good games, and not a lot of time to play them, that I really don't need to play pcars if I don't feel like it.

I haven't finished all the dlc careers in Driveclub yet. I'm maybe %10 at most through The Crew (due to it's ridiculous size lol). I haven't finished Alien: Isolation on the hardest difficulty yet (finished on medium, and then re-started on hardest to get the full experience), same with The Last of Us, I'm maybe half way through that on the hardest difficulty. Only just really started Killzone: Shadow Fall. Finished the main missions in Watch Dogs, but plenty more to do in that game. Finished The Order: 1886, but yet to start it on the hardest difficulty. Have hardly touched Mortal Kombat X (got it free with the PS4, not really my thing, but I'm sure I'll get around to playing it one day lol). Halfway through Far Cry 4. About half way through GTAV. And, on top of all that, I just bought F1: 2015.

There are also a few games coming out this year on PS4 that I'm really looking forward to. Unfortunately, I have bugger all time to play the PS4. So it's tough being a gamer these days lol. As you can see, I've got plenty to keep me happy until SMS have finished touching up Project CARS. I haven't played it since before the 2.0 patch came out, and tbh I probably won't play much for quite a while. Not because I don't like it, I bloody love it, but just because I've got enough great games to play, and would prefer to not play pcars much until the issues are fixed, so I get the full experience, and not just get pissed off at the bugs.

Edit: I also downloaded the remastered Resident Evil, and only got about half way through it before I moved on to another game, so I've got that to go back to as well lol.

ProjectCARS is my only game, so it is getting all of my attention...
My only real gripe is the penalty system when doing the (longest) endurance races.
I got disqualified (and zero points) in three of them.
Twice being hit by an opponent and once for "cutting track" two times, in each case pushed wide by AI.
I don't see how this is "cutting track' while covering more distance at slower speed, losing several places.
And I almost forgot: a blown engine, but that was my own mistake while missing a couple of gears downshifting through the H pattern.
And each time the race winner was the runner up in the Championship standings.

So, any further WEC races will be with penalties OFF.
As soon as that gets fixed, I'll enable them again, but for now...

Nothing wrong with legitimate complaints, there are many when it comes to Project Cars, but referring to the game as you did is childish and immature and makes me, at least, ignore anything you might have to say that is a valid concern.

Okay then; as they say, to each their own. In fact, you can overlook my posts altogether by not responding at all.

Would you happen to be on SMS' payroll? Just asking.

I am not a crier myself and I am very satisfied with the content of the game itself. What slightly bugs me though is the new dirt coming through with recent patches. I am in gaming QA for some time now and I also know how hard is to correctly setup the department and align it with the release plan. How hard is to achieve the balance of releasing content quickly but properly tested.

I am for longer periods of waiting but having content more clean, which is crucial for me, especially with this genre. Nevertheless, I did not encounter majority of the bugs reported by other players, so I guess I am pretty lucky boy.

Im just looking forward to having the ability to adjust the ai skill in increment smaller than 10 on the ps4.

Drove the gt3 endurance at sakkito last night. Having had a lap 10 accident I spent 45 laps getting through the field. At 80% I could get through the field. At 90 the AIs race phase is dead on my qualifying phase. Which obviously I can't match for 90 laps (50% race distance). So 85% would be in the range where I can keep up provided I do not crash.

And something I appreciated a lot was that the track temperature dropped so much in the last ten laps that my tires went cold and I lost 2-3 seconds pr lap. Meaning that the backmarkers started to unlap me in quite an aggressive manner. so I lost first place and almost had a race ending crash in the last lap.

So yes. Pit strategy is still suboptimal. Ai isn't really affected by track temperature. And it was my best offline racing experience ever.

4 years + delays weren't enough to iron things out and make sure the console versions don't veer too far off from the PC version in terms of quality and final product? Riiiiiight...

It was 3.5 years including the delays (and a platform change to PS4/XBone ~ 2 years ago), but dont let facts stop your ranting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay then; as they say, to each their own. In fact, you can overlook my posts altogether by not responding at all.
Nevertheless, an adult conversation isn't really possible when members are "hilariously" misnaming things.

We don't allow members to get away with "M$" or "$ony"*, nor "Poostation" or "XBum" or whatever the cool tweens are calling them these days, so similarly "PDOUCHE" is limited to that post and that post only. As a quick reminder:

FAQ
Why does GTPlanet have unusual rules?

GTPlanet’s Acceptable Use Policy applies across all areas of the website and is somewhat unusual on the Internet due to its request for “decent grammar” and the prohibition of “txtspk”.

Such rules are often met with confusion and contempt by some new users. However, GTPlanet is not just another disposable “video game forum” – it is a community and a home for thousands of like-minded people which has thrived for more than a decade. These rules have always been in place, and remind everyone to put a little more thought into what they’re contributing to the community. In turn, this creates a more pleasant and attractive place for everyone.
*And where we do it's because we haven't seen it, not because we're okay with it - same as any other more apparent infraction

I am not a crier myself and I am very satisfied with the content of the game itself. What slightly bugs me though is the new dirt coming through with recent patches. I am in gaming QA for some time now and I also know how hard is to correctly setup the department and align it with the release plan. How hard is to achieve the balance of releasing content quickly but properly tested.

I am for longer periods of waiting but having content more clean, which is crucial for me, especially with this genre. Nevertheless, I did not encounter majority of the bugs reported by other players, so I guess I am pretty lucky boy.

I've not experienced many bugs either. That's probably because I took the decision to hold off playing career and multi player until some of the reported bugs and issues were ironed out.

It hasn't stopped me enjoying the game, I've getting to know new tracks and cars and thoroughly enjoy it - despite struggles with complexity of FFB and the cumbersome UI.

My initial feeling when seeing all the complaints was maybe they should have waited longer before release. But on reflection, the test base has vastly increased, the devs do listen and act on the feedback and through this support we'll probably get a more complete game much quicker.

Did my first proper long race around Spa for twenty laps today. It was really fun even though I was racing the clock for most of it. I built up on corner cutting warnings, and then one said it was my final warning. So, I took a step back and made sure I didn't get another one, not knowing the consequences. Then I ran a small bit deep into the Bus stop chicane and went off the road but went straight back in, making sure it wasn't deemed as corner cutting. Well, what do you know, I got DQ'd! Why are they so harsh?! I thought a reasonably penalty would be a ten second time penalty or at most, a drive-thru', not a bloody exclusion after sixteen laps! It scares me to think if doing a proper endurance race, as one's likely to make that much mistakes and therefore be disqualified.

Did my first proper long race around Spa for twenty laps today. It was really fun even though I was racing the clock for most of it. I built up on corner cutting warnings, and then one said it was my final warning. So, I took a step back and made sure I didn't get another one, not knowing the consequences. Then I ran a small bit deep into the Bus stop chicane and went off the road but went straight back in, making sure it wasn't deemed as corner cutting. Well, what do you know, I got DQ'd! Why are they so harsh?! I thought a reasonably penalty would be a ten second time penalty or at most, a drive-thru', not a bloody exclusion after sixteen laps! It scares me to think if doing a proper endurance race, as one's likely to make that much mistakes and therefore be disqualified.

Yeah, I agree. The whole penalty system is lacking polish. Forwarded your post to the official forum.

This is not an apology for SMS or anything.

This demonstrates precisely why I always sigh when I see people demanding penalty systems in racing games. In the real world these decisions rely on the judgement of experienced humans, often more than one and even they can frequently get it "wrong".

SMS can probably tweak the track boundaries for cut track warnings, but anything more complicated would probably involve a system that needed more data than is currently stored & would need to perform some analysis on it. Such a rules system would almost certainly need to be designed for from the begining, to manage data acquisition, storage and analysis without stealing too much processing from the physics / AI processes.

Personally, I am glad they included an off option! I know the rules & I know when I have broken them (which I try not to do), I don't need to be DQ'd for trying to turn my car around (on the grass) after a spin, like the codemaster's F1 games like to inflict upon you.

You know how you laugh when you see that guy totally blow a start online (doesn't move, or spins out right away) and you think damn what a fool as you swerve around him.

Well this morning I did my first online racing since I got my T3PA-pro pedal set.. and guess who that fool was two races in a row in the same room with the same car...

This guy!

I have been doing a lot of free practice with H pattern cars and enjoying it very much.. but got the itch to race online. Like normal it was mostly GT3 rooms so I joined one.

First race Z4 GT3 - qualified 7th out of 15 (bad but I was getting used to racing GT3 cars with the heavy conical brake mod) got to the start and forgot to use the clutch to put it in first.. so I sit there as cars take off and others slam into the back of me.. I work my way through the field and finish in about 6th.

Second race Z4 GT3 - qualified 4th with close times to the top 3- ok buddy remember use the clutch on the start.. the lights start I press the clutch, click the paddle for 1st, give it gas - Green and I drop the clutch way to fast and spin out left and into the wall.

Guess I should practice stand still grid starts before I go back online again.. :dunce:

God, I hate Snetterton! And Silverstone for that matter.
I really like Snetterton 200, drive it way more than the 300. Silverstone I don't care for much after all the new sections they put in a few years ago.

As much as I liked the old Silverstone (in TOCA), the new does not appeal to me.
Love Snetterton (all layouts) but today I had a first at Sakitto (International I think) with Ginetta GT4.
That is (with this car) a real pita... :crazy:
Hope I never have to go back there...

I really like Snetterton 200, drive it way more than the 300. Silverstone I don't care for much after all the new sections they put in a few years ago.

Maybe it's just the Clio, but there is just something incredibly odd about this track.

As much as I liked the old Silverstone (in TOCA), the new does not appeal to me.
Love Snetterton (all layouts) but today I had a first at Sakitto (International I think) with Ginetta GT4.
That is (with this car) a real pita... :crazy:
Hope I never have to go back there...
Try the GP layout, that one's good fun, the others not so much.

I do like the older Hockenheim and my favourte Silverstone is the 2006 configuration. Would be nice to see the older versions included.

Back