The Great Project Cars Whinging and Crying Thread

I started a separate thread about this, but this is probably a better spot for it. One of my only gripes about the game is the transition from wet to dry track.

The rain itself looks amazing, but it would be nice to see more of a drying line instead of the track magically just becoming dry. Codemasters have done a descent job of this in their F1 games. Some information from the pit engineer regarding the weather would also be nice, particularly since the AI seem to be telepathic and know when to put slicks on even before it stops raining...

I started a separate thread about this, but this is probably a better spot for it. One of my only gripes about the game is the transition from wet to dry track.

The rain itself looks amazing, but it would be nice to see more of a drying line instead of the track magically just becoming dry. Codemasters have done a descent job of this in their F1 games. Some information from the pit engineer regarding the weather would also be nice, particularly since the AI seem to be telepathic and know when to put slicks on even before it stops raining...
I'd like an option to race on a wet or drying track but with no rain. Start the race just after the rain has finished and the track is drying up sort of thing.

The track does dry progressively, depending on what the weather is set up like.

It doesn't seem to dry faster on the racing line than the rest of the surface, which means when the weather progression is fast, the whole surface will dry insanely quickly. The same is true of how quickly the surface will get wet. It is progressive though.

Here's what one of the devs who worked on the weather system had to say about how it works:

"Internally weather system we have is actually quite robust in how it can receive weather forecast information.

The way it works is that you can feed it a condition and how long that condition will last for. With that information it will create a timeline that will playout. It works basically on a 24 hour clock.

Saying all that we did not expose all this functionality to the player because frankly we was thought it was a little bit of overkill..
(As you all know PCars was a co-operative development and I think we forget a little how a simple menu like this can be confusing to people only buying the game anew.)

Ok so the when you look at the screen screen the first option you can see is a menu item called weather slots
Here you can select between 1 and 4 slots.
Using these slots, the race setup will feed a weather timeline into the weather system.

Each slot represents what the weather will be at the top of every hour with slot 1 being the race start time slot 2 race start time +1 hour and so on. We repeat this cycle over a 24 hour period.

For example we setup a system with 2 weather slots one rainy one clear and the race time at 2pm.
Race setup will feed a timeline to the weather system something like this:
at 2pm weather will be rainy and it will be like that for 40 mins.
at 3pm weather will be clear and it will be like that for 50 mins ...
at 4pm weather will be rainy and it will last 53 mins...
at 5pm weather will be clear and it will last 35 mins ..

What this will do is when you start the race it will be raining and will so for the first 40mins.
Then at 2:40pm the weather will start to clear up and by 3pm it will be fully clear and stay that way till 3:50pm and so on.
(note the time the weather would last for is random, it was thought exposing info like this would again be too much information)

Ok so that's all simple enough. Now where it gets a little confusing

Somewhere along the development process people wanted to decouple the weather from the day and night cycle.

So for example they wanted the weather to be changing a lot but have the time of day to stay the same.

So what we did was decouple the weather timeline progression (Weather Progression) from the day night (Time Progression) .
This meant for example you could have the weather speed at 60 i.e 1 second equals 1 min but time of day at real time.

So in the example above
if we had the weather progression at realtime it would take 40 mins for the weather to start to transition to rainy.
But if we set it to 60 it would only take 40 seconds.

Then later in the project it was proposed that instead of the weather timeline being a time based thing people wanted it to happen based on how the race progressed..
So a new option was added to the Weather progression slider called "sync to race"
So the way it works is each slot would represent a proportion of the race, so if we had 2 slots they would represent the the first and second half of the race , if 4 slots then each quarter of the race.

So again taking our above example it would mean the following.
The Start of the race as always rainy and the end of the race would always be clear.
e.g If you had a 2 lap race you would start of raining and the time the leader went started the second lap the weather would be clear."

So in a long endurance, with "sync to race" enabled, the weather transitions should be quite long and drawn out.

Edit: I also think the Codies F1 games have a great weather system. They really have perfected the drying line. In 2015 I can come in for slicks early, taking a gamble, and it'll pay off as long as I can stick to the drying line. If I make a mistake and go off line, there's absolutely no grip out there and I'll be in real trouble. I love it. The drying line in F1 2015 also isn't just the optimum racing line all the time, it's dynamic, and depends on where people are driving. I noticed this as I sometimes will take a different line than the AI through some corners, and my line was drying out quicker than off line, but slower than the AI's line.

SMS could learn a lot from the surface water model and AI of the codies F1 games, especially 2015!

Last edited:
The track does dry progressively, depending on what the weather is set up like.

It doesn't seem to dry faster on the racing line than the rest of the surface, which means when the weather progression is fast, the whole surface will dry insanely quickly. The same is true of how quickly the surface will get wet. It is progressive though.

Here's what one of the devs who worked on the weather system had to say about how it works:

"Internally weather system we have is actually quite robust in how it can receive weather forecast information.

The way it works is that you can feed it a condition and how long that condition will last for. With that information it will create a timeline that will playout. It works basically on a 24 hour clock.

Saying all that we did not expose all this functionality to the player because frankly we was thought it was a little bit of overkill..
(As you all know PCars was a co-operative development and I think we forget a little how a simple menu like this can be confusing to people only buying the game anew.)

Ok so the when you look at the screen screen the first option you can see is a menu item called weather slots
Here you can select between 1 and 4 slots.
Using these slots, the race setup will feed a weather timeline into the weather system.

Each slot represents what the weather will be at the top of every hour with slot 1 being the race start time slot 2 race start time +1 hour and so on. We repeat this cycle over a 24 hour period.

For example we setup a system with 2 weather slots one rainy one clear and the race time at 2pm.
Race setup will feed a timeline to the weather system something like this:
at 2pm weather will be rainy and it will be like that for 40 mins.
at 3pm weather will be clear and it will be like that for 50 mins ...
at 4pm weather will be rainy and it will last 53 mins...
at 5pm weather will be clear and it will last 35 mins ..

What this will do is when you start the race it will be raining and will so for the first 40mins.
Then at 2:40pm the weather will start to clear up and by 3pm it will be fully clear and stay that way till 3:50pm and so on.
(note the time the weather would last for is random, it was thought exposing info like this would again be too much information)

Ok so that's all simple enough. Now where it gets a little confusing

Somewhere along the development process people wanted to decouple the weather from the day and night cycle.

So for example they wanted the weather to be changing a lot but have the time of day to stay the same.

So what we did was decouple the weather timeline progression (Weather Progression) from the day night (Time Progression) .
This meant for example you could have the weather speed at 60 i.e 1 second equals 1 min but time of day at real time.

So in the example above
if we had the weather progression at realtime it would take 40 mins for the weather to start to transition to rainy.
But if we set it to 60 it would only take 40 seconds.

Then later in the project it was proposed that instead of the weather timeline being a time based thing people wanted it to happen based on how the race progressed..
So a new option was added to the Weather progression slider called "sync to race"
So the way it works is each slot would represent a proportion of the race, so if we had 2 slots they would represent the the first and second half of the race , if 4 slots then each quarter of the race.

So again taking our above example it would mean the following.
The Start of the race as always rainy and the end of the race would always be clear.
e.g If you had a 2 lap race you would start of raining and the time the leader went started the second lap the weather would be clear."

So in a long endurance, with "sync to race" enabled, the weather transitions should be quite long and drawn out.

Edit: I also think the Codies F1 games have a great weather system. They really have perfected the drying line. In 2015 I can come in for slicks early, taking a gamble, and it'll pay off as long as I can stick to the drying line. If I make a mistake and go off line, there's absolutely no grip out there and I'll be in real trouble. I love it. The drying line in F1 2015 also isn't just the optimum racing line all the time, it's dynamic, and depends on where people are driving. I noticed this as I sometimes will take a different line than the AI through some corners, and my line was drying out quicker than off line, but slower than the AI's line.

SMS could learn a lot from the surface water model and AI of the codies F1 games, especially 2015!

Wow, that's really handy information to know. Thanks! Especially the "sync to race" option, which had me confused.

Wow, that's really handy information to know. Thanks! Especially the "sync to race" option, which had me confused.

Yeah it's a pity we have to trawl through endless threads on their forum to find this kind of info, as it should all be in the game or the game's booklet (what ever happened to massive game manuals we used to get? these days they're like 3 pages of copyright info and that's it...).

I also didn't know what the "sync to race" option did before I read that post on the official forum. But, like the ffb settings, and the tyre model, I'm glad I found some in-depth info on the weather system, as it's helped me understand how to set it up exactly how I want.

(what ever happened to massive game manuals we used to get? these days they're like 3 pages of copyright info and that's it...).

I think it was Ubisoft that started that trend, stating an attempt to help lessen the cutting down of trees and help save the world!...

...and it saved them millions in printing costs.

Back on topic though. There is a manual in the game. But you can only access it with an internet connection - On PS4 at least. Clicking on the manual option, in the options... opens the web browser and takes you to the Pcars website manual. I believe that's the case anyway... I did it once on launch day.

I think it was Ubisoft that started that trend, stating an attempt to help lessen the cutting down of trees and help save the world!...

...and it saved them millions in printing costs.

Back on topic though. There is a manual in the game. But you can only access it with an internet connection - On PS4 at least. Clicking on the manual option, in the options... opens the web browser and takes you to the Pcars website manual. I believe that's the case anyway... I did it once on launch day.

The digital manual is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike though, it has about two sentences on the entire control setting part of the options. Instead of explaining what anything in there, including the ffb options, does, it just basically states that you can adjust some stuff lol.

Agreed. It's pretty shocking in it's almost complete lack of information that can improve someones experience.

Does anyone know if that Pcars wiki that popped up just before launch is still around/updating?.

It just states the obvious about everything, it's supposed to be an instruction manual, and yet it has no instructions in it. In the part about car set ups, it just basically says "you can set up your car". Of course I'm paraphrasing, but it just goes the long way about saying that lol. It doesn't even mention the car-specific ffb, let alone what they do.

I haven't played the career mode in about a month or so, but has there been an update that made the AI tougher? I could race comfortably at the high 70s low 80s level, and now I'm down in the low 70s and having trouble. Have I just gotten worse because of time trails, or are they better?

I honestly hate how every time someone joins a lobby you get the lag spike and then the horrible wait... silently praying... wishing... that whoever has joined, doesn't have their sodding microphone cranked to 11 and taped to their television speakers. I don't want or need to hear your race engineer. Or your engine. Or the other people in your house, or the clicking of your pad/wheel, or your bodily functions!

I had one person today, that was non-stop full-on deep mouth-breathing cold/flu coughing an spluttering, another in the same lobby that complained over his microphone while chomping away on his lunch and slurping his drink. Put me right off going into turn 1 :lol:

Worse still, the ones with their PS4 controller plugged in to charge and you get the never ending, high pitched whistle that drills away at your ear drums until you give up and just open a party chat an be done with it.

Push to talk... default. PLEASE. :nervous:

Push to talk... default. PLEASE. :nervous:

I'd like to have the option to disable voice chat entirely, like we did in GT6. I'd rather have text chat only for online racing.

VBR
I'd like to have the option to disable voice chat entirely, like we did in GT6. I'd rather have text chat only for online racing.

I'd be all for this too. Never had any issue with the way GT6 handled comms.

(besides the occasional text popping up an my eyes wandering as I'm hitting an apex... but that's a me issue!)

The text pop up when driving was extremely annoying. Would've been nice if there was no text while racing.

Why does the AI have to cut corners so much? Any time I'm defending position coming to a corner they just cut the grass and get 2-3 seconds ahead of me, which IRL would definitely make them DQ'ed but obviously AI don't get disqualified. PCars is the only game I know of that does this and it annoys me.

Why does the AI have to cut corners so much? Any time I'm defending position coming to a corner they just cut the grass and get 2-3 seconds ahead of me, which IRL would definitely make them DQ'ed but obviously AI don't get disqualified. PCars is the only game I know of that does this and it annoys me.
I will accept the grass cutting if only the AI was affected as the player is, as in they hardly slow down at all. Seems a deliberate design decision by SMS as there's no way they don't know the AI can drive off road much quicker than we can. If the filthy cheaters had to give the place back I would also be happy, but they don't. The swines!

I will accept the grass cutting if only the AI was affected as the player is, as in they hardly slow down at all. Seems a deliberate design decision by SMS as there's no way they don't know the AI can drive off road much quicker than we can. If the filthy cheaters had to give the place back I would also be happy, but they don't. The swines!
Exactly! I was running GT3 at Monza and at the second corner an R8 LMS just goes over the grass on the inside and just gains 3 places with no consequence. AI that do that should be disqualified from the race standings.

Exactly! I was running GT3 at Monza and at the second corner an R8 LMS just goes over the grass on the inside and just gains 3 places with no consequence. AI that do that should be disqualified from the race standings.
Are there any games where the AI are programmed to give the place back? Don't think I've ever seen it but it would be a great addition.

Are there any games where the AI are programmed to give the place back? Don't think I've ever seen it but it would be a great addition.
Not that I've seen, no. I'm not even sure it would be possible to do.

Not that I've seen, no. I'm not even sure it would be possible to do.
It's not even easy to ram them off as an act of vengeance. They stick to the track too much. I'd like to be able to spin them out or completely push them off if they have wronged me. No damage on of course lol.

There are way too many assholes in random online lobies. I just cant get my head around what drives them. Why, ffs?

I think it's all the youngsters (of all ages) who've bought the game (and maybe wheels etc) and found out they're not instantly stig-like racing gods sweeping all opponents away before them, and just resort to ruining it for others to alleviate their bitterness :yuck:

The drift physics, really... i tried everything, yes i can do drifts but it's so hard. And a lot of people that i know feels the same.

Yes, i do race most of the time in the game. But some times i just want to relax and make some slides, but in PCars, it's more frustrating than pleasurable.

My biggest whine is that default setup is garbage. Mainly with tires and weather. The game does not allow the use of all the optional tires available for that particular car. If I have any weather slots picked, it never changes tires to what they should be. Why in the would does pit strategy have to be locked for a default setup race?
I'm leaving a statement out just for the typical reply I might get. lol. If any.

My biggest whine is that default setup is garbage. Mainly with tires and weather. The game does not allow the use of all the optional tires available for that particular car. If I have any weather slots picked, it never changes tires to what they should be. Why in the would does pit strategy have to be locked for a default setup race?
I'm leaving a statement out just for the typical reply I might get. lol. If any.

I've experienced this before too - It needs to get fixed!!

I started a new career and this time I'm keeping it at 100% difficulty and I started off with the Clio Cup this time. Is it supposed to be unbeatable? Is it normal to have a car that's like 2 seconds off the pace? I've tried two different setups from websites, and nothing is helping. I just get gapped by everyone on the straights (Donington) and it's getting a little annoying. I know I'm not the best driver out there, but I should be a little closer than 2 seconds.

Back