The Greatest Riff EVUH!1!1Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter 911_Carrera
  • 48 comments
  • 2,151 views
Messages
5,753
Pretty self explanatory. I'm sure there has been a thread about this before but I couldn't find it and tastes/members change. Felipe thinks it's going to be Smoke on the Water but there's always Sweet Child O' Mine.

GO!
 
The riff in "Jessica" by the Allman Brothers is pretty catchy, that's probably my favorite right now, but it changes every couple of days.
 
* goes to check out "Jessica" *

Ah! That's the theme music to snooker tournaments on TV over here. 👍
 
Snooker? What the hell is that?
 
snooker.gif


It's a bit like Pool.
 
Ha, I've seen people play it before, just didn't know what it was called.

Weird theme song to have for it though.
 
I guess so. It's just that main riff repeated a couple of times and it's the only good thing about the programme.
 
Smoke On The Water! :D

I guess one of my favorites is Metallica´s Enter Sandman. 👍
 
One of my favourites at the moment is "Jacqueline" by Franz Ferdinand.
 
911_Carrera
* goes to check out "Jessica" *

Ah! That's the theme music to snooker tournaments on TV over here. 👍
It's not from snooker. Jessica is the Top Gear theme tune (or it was. I can't think if it still is.)

Snooker theme
 
Led Zeppelin - "Whole Lotta Love" "Duh-da, Duh-da, dum, duh-da-dum, duh-da-dum, duh-da-dum, duh-da-dum!"

Even my grandmother can play this riff on guitar. I say this is the number one riff of all time. Next, "Smoke On The Water" with "You Really Got Me" by the Kinks.
 
Van Halen - Runnin With The Devil

Probably my favourite riff of all time. I would have posted others, but they've been covered already.
 
Ev0
Van Halen - Runnin With The Devil

Probably my favourite riff of all time. I would have posted others, but they've been covered already.

My favorite VH riff is Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love. Favorite riff ever? Too hard to call...
 
Avenged Sevenfold - Radiant Eclipse (about 1:17 in)
 
The best riff of all time, ever, everybody else put your axes away:

Scuttle Buttin' by Stevie Ray Vaughn

And I can play Smoke On The Water on any instrument you hand me.
 
Duke
The best riff of all time, ever, everybody else put your axes away:

Scuttle Buttin' by Stevie Ray Vaughn

And I can play Smoke On The Water on any instrument you hand me.
Hmm theres other SRV riffs that kick mucho arse over that, like Cold Shot, Texas Flood (but does this classify as having a 'riff' as such?),

Voodoo Child (slight return), no one can top Jimi. No one. There are 20 Hendrix riffs that could easily win a list like this. :D


Dire Straits are massively under rated for awesome guitar riffs:

Money for Nothing :D best classic distortion sound evaar!
Sultans of Swing :D best clean guitar evaar! (hmm actually tied with Little Wing, or Castles Made of Sand - Hendrix. Lenny by SRV is good also...)
Romeo and Juliet :D the only good use for a dobro national steel guitar evaar!

Crossroads (live 'cream' version) is the best playing/tone Clappo ever did. Only other 'slowhand' notable is Layla (either version).

Smoke on the Water does nothing for me, its just dull and plodding rhythmically. 👎

btw, who can't play smoke on the water on any instrument?
For reference, the most common mistake people make when playing this riff, is play it in fifths (or "power chords"). It is actually all fourths.

If anyone posts "Stairway to Heaven" they deserve to be shot immediately. :grumpy:
 
Mark Knopfler pulls some great riffs out for Dire Straits. That's inspired me to go and put some tracks on. 👍
 
Mark Knopfler still pulls those awesome riffs (saw him in concert earlier this year!!) just as awesomely, and new awesome riffs include "What It Is" off his "Sailing to Philadelphia" record. This is a great record, along with his new record "Shangri La" which has nice riffs also "Boom, Like That" has a notably beautiful sound (more laid back these days though!), classic high Knopfler production values...

Out of current (not dead) guitarists my faves are Knopfler (taste), Jeff Beck (whammy, wacky phrasing), Steve Vai (technique and eccentricity), Buddy Guy (he cracks me up, only awesome blues player left... :( )!

Imagine if SRV and Jimi Hendrix had lived and jammed on some blues!! Clappo would've cried into his tea and given up guitar thrice over (he nearly gave up guitar after seeing Hendrix for the first time, he also wouldn't play after SRV because he knew SRV kicked is arse so much...)!!
 
e----------------------------------------
B----------------------------------------
G--0--3--5----0--3--6--5----0--3--5--3--0
D--0--3--5----0--3--6--5----0--3--5--3--0
A----------------------------------------
E----------------------------------------


:D
 
Shannon

e----------------------------------------
B----------------------------------------
G--0--3--5----0--3--6--5----0--3--5--3--0
D--0--3--5----0--3--6--5----0--3--5--3--0
A----------------------------------------
E----------------------------------------


:D
Except the wrong key (depending on tuning...)!!! (and that the unwound G string would sound too thin for such a ballsy riff..) :dunce:
 
James2097
Except the wrong key (depending on tuning...)!!! (and that the unwound G string would sound too thin for such a ballsy riff..) :dunce:
Everyone I know plays it like that. Meh. Personally, I hate the damn riff. I just couldn't resist with this thread. :dopey:

The greatest riff EVUH has to be Audioslave - "Cochise". Well, in my opinion at least. Tom Morello = god.
 
Shannon
Everyone I know plays it like that. Meh. Personally, I hate the damn riff. I just couldn't resist with this thread. :dopey:

The greatest riff EVUH has to be Audioslave - "Cochise". Well, in my opinion at least. Tom Morello = god.

Hey its cool, I was just being picky...

I hate that riff also (smoke on the water), and Morello = innovative, better than most mainstream rock guitarists. I think most would agree RATM was a far better band than Audioslave however... the singer of Audioslave = Sammy Hagar style yuck!
I vote "Killing in the Name", or "Wake Up" as the best Morello riff. :)
 
Some more riffs that have not been mentioned yet.

AC/DC - Back In Black
AC/DC - Thunderstruck
Black Sabbath - Iron Man
Rush - The Spirit Of Radio
Van Halen - Unchained
 
heaviest riff

slayer - postmortem/raining blood

coolest riff

black sabbath - hand of doom
 
I take that back. How could I forget. You guys have to listen to this one.

Avenged Sevenfold - Eternal Rest (1:00 in)
 
Ev0
AC/DC - Thunderstruck
AC/DC´s Thunderstruck, GnR´s Sweet Child O´Mine, Iron Maiden´s Wasted Years, I think their intros are more like little solos than riffs. To me, riffs are a sequence of power chords, not single keys played apart if you know what I mean.

That´s just my opinion though.
 
Ever heard "Perfect Strangers" by Deep Purple? It's a lot better than "Smoke On The Water".
 
FatAssBR
To me, riffs are a sequence of power chords, not single keys played apart if you know what I mean.

That´s just my opinion though.
Well, if that's the case, how about Fade to Black by Metallica at 3:53 when the song changes. I absolutely love that part.
 
Back