Not open for further replies.

syntex123

Currently lurking!
Premium
Norway
Færder
syntex123
Syntex260Z

Barn finds! Have you ever looked inside an abandoned garage or barn to find a rare and classic car? If not, make one! Livery and image by @syntex123 - (click for full-size)

This Fortnight's Theme
I must have seen a lot of restoration shows on Discovery Channel because this time I want to capture the essence of finding something rare where you wouldn't think anything else but junk would reside. We're talking rare barn finds. - But this time, let it rust! Let's hear what @syntex123 has to say:

I love classic cars, there's something about seeing 40-year-old steel, the look, the sound, the smell.. But what if you saw a neglected one sitting in a garage full of junk? The car might be dusty, it might have some scratches, maybe some rust? There's no limit here. Make the car look old and forgotten.

CARS:
N class cars before 1989 only
LIVERIES: Yes and no; if you want to do a classic race car, go for it. If you want a street car, go for it. As long as it looks forgotten.
USER MADE DECALS: Allowed
LOCATIONS: Shiretoko for the main pics, garage photo for the 1st bonus shot.
UNIQUE RESTRICTIONS: Make use of decals that look like dust, rust, dirt or other decals. You can use as little or much as you want, but it should look like it's been standing on the same spot for years.

You can also take two bonus images. One garage shot (where the car sits now), and one old image (with an appropriate "old" filter) showing it's last known location, with less dirt and wear on it than the livery you must enter.

1) Choose the Shiretoko scape (found by searching all locations and refining by 'Japan'and 'Snow'):

View attachment 729370

2) Apply the following settings:

Camera

Camera Settings

Aperture: F 2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/60 (as it's not a panning shot I don't know that this is important)
Focus: Single AF

Environment Settings
Aspect: 16:9
Orientation: Landscape
Resolution: High

Effects

White Balance
Temperature: 9800 K
Colour Cast Correction: -0.060
Exposure correction: EV +2.0

Special Effects
Chromatic Aberration: 5

Screen Effect 1
Mask: Background
Filter: None
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
Saturation: 0
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 250
Highlight: 100
Midpoint Correction: 100
Blackpoint Correction: -5

Car Effects
Filter: None
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
Saturation: 150
Brightness: 75
Contrast: 120
Highlight: 500
Midpoint Correction: 500
Blackpoint Correction: 0

3) Place your car in the middle of the scape at a suitable angle:

View attachment 729371

4) Zoom in to 102mm (certain cars may require more or less to fit in the viewfinder) and move the camera until you're happy that the car is centred in the shot:

View attachment 729372

5) Move the focus to the nearest corner of the car (I normally centre on the headlamp closest to the centre of the image) and take your shot.

6) For a shot of the rear, go back to the Car tab and hit R2, switch to Camera and refocus (again I use the tail lamp nearest the centre) and take the shot. If the car has moved off-centre then move the viewfinder and adjust the zoom as you see fit.

For new cars/liveries simply find the scape in your library and reopen and change the car, then rinse and repeat as above.

Images, entry format and tutorial made by @BLiTZ

Competition Rules

Please, ensure you read and understand all requirements for this competition. Failure to follow the rules may result in disqualification. If you have questions, start a convo with me.
  • The only way you can take part is to be a member of the GTPlanet forums. If you haven't created your account yet, click here.
  • It is recommended you host your image either here on GTPlanet (via the Media section), or on Flickr.
  • Not sure how to submit your image? Here's a guide for both methods mentioned above.
  • Preview images must not exceed 640 pixels in either direction.
  • A preview image must be representative of the full-size image. Do not add effects to it.
  • Please use a clickable-preview to full-size, not a separate text link for it;
    it makes poll creation much easier!
  • Mark your FINAL ENTRY clearly, with red text.
  • Unsure how to? Copy and paste the following:
Code:
[COLOR=red][B]FINAL ENTRY[/B][/COLOR]
  • You are required to use two ‘main’ photos, viewing the front and the back of the car. You can post one additional photo inside a spoiler.

• No heavy post-game editing, slight enhancing is allowed.
  • One entry per user. It must be your own work, and never previously used in a comp.
  • Do not ask other users to choose your entry.
  • Absolutely no entries which utilize edited/hacked file saves.
  • You may change your entry once. Do it clearly; edit out your previous entry, and
    either post the new one in a new reply, or in place of the original.
  • Do not post "Honourable Mentions" or outtakes - just your Final Entry, that's all.
  • Winner gets to choose the following Fortnight's theme.
  • Winners cannot enter in their own theme!
  • The Host may ask for the original image/livery and it must be submitted if so.
  • It's recommended to share the original livery online(in-game) to prove it’s your work.

Deadline

July 18, 2018 (23:59, CEST/GMT+2)

Oooh this theme looks very interesting, Not really something I've ever really tried before so it will be a big challenge for me, Maybe I will go on NFS Payback before attemting this for inspiration ;)

The Crew(1/2) offers some decent looking scratches and dirt too, if that's of any interest for some.

Wish I thought about this sooner. Oh well, it's not me who enters this one. I'm not satisfied at all with my example.

Just for the sake of previews:

0F9C4706-45BA-4C80-97E9-0BF7C3109D48.jpeg
EEC34B52-EA7B-432F-B32E-7440E64F9128.jpeg
5C182CE8-D2B8-48EB-813A-344C47DB3D07.jpeg
BB9365FE-13E1-4EBE-A108-C08C0668D143.jpeg
A4CE1795-677D-4C5F-9E74-565D5240EF7A.png
8CDC443E-CFA9-4FBF-8174-115841E7544A.png
9DE861F2-3B7B-4EF4-9D21-863E0056EFEA.png
7FABCB33-FE31-415B-A997-D43093C0B05A.png

Last edited:
Interesting theme, but if I see a Corvette with a crap ton of rust on the body I'm going to slap the person who made it.
:lol: That’s funny. I only added rust on the chrome here and there, but I think I went too far. *self slap* ;)

This is a great idea, not sure I have the skills to do this one justice though!

@syntex123
Regarding the criteria: CARS: N class cars before 1989 only

I was just thinking about which cars are eligible, and came up with the following list of 15 cars:

Alpine A110 1600S
BMW M3
Chevrolet Corvette C3
De Tomaso Pantera
Dodge Challenger R/T 1970
Ferrari 512BB
Fiat 500
Ford GT40 Mk1
Ford Mustang Mach 1
Lamborghini Countach
Lamborghini Miura
Shelby Cobra
Toyota 2000GT
Toyota Supra 3.0 GT Turbo
VW Sambabus

What about the following?
Is Chris Holstrom Concepts 1967 Chevy Nova 2013 eligible?

I think the 1992 Ferrari F40 & 1990 Mazda RX7 should be allowed as both these cars were released before 1989.

Although I don't have the skills to do justice to it, I would love for someone to attempt a barn find Audi Sport Quattro! I think that 200 Sport Quattro cars were manufactured - so a barn find is a possibility.

Although the Ford GT40 Mk 1 is eligible, I agree that that Jaguar XJ13 and Ferrari P4 should not be. I think that there were only 4 P4s made, and no original XJ13 survives.

Last edited:

I think the 1992 Ferrari F40 & 1990 Mazda RX7 should be allowed as both these cars were released before 1989.

I say no - the Nova has modern elements. Like if it was a barn find that was restored. Which is the opposite of the theme.

The Skyline R32 also came out in 89 - but the models in-game are newer so they aren’t useable. Just because a car came out earlier doesn’t mean it’s newer version is the exact same, facelifts and whatnot. :)

Although the Ford GT40 Mk 1 is eligible, I agree that that Jaguar XJ13 and Ferrari P4 should not be. I think that there were only 4 P4s made, and no original XJ13 survives.
As long as they’re N class I’ve got no problem with it, as the idea is to recreate a classic race car if you wanted to.

I say no - the Nova has modern elements. Like if it was a barn find that was restored. Which is the opposite of the theme.

The Skyline R32 also came out in 89 - but the models in-game are newer so they aren’t useable. Just because a car came out earlier doesn’t mean it’s newer version is the exact same, facelifts and whatnot. :)

As long as they’re N class I’ve got no problem with it, as the idea is to recreate a classic race car if you wanted to.

Thank you for clearing this up! I look forward to the submissions for this.

@BLiTZ actually made a good looking one using only the shapes that came with the game. So it’s definately doable without using too many SVGs or community decals for sure. :)
I'm happy for you to post the pics as examples if you like (I don't want to infirnge the honourable mentions rule). 👍

This is a great idea, not sure I have the skills to do this one justice though!

@syntex123
Regarding the criteria: CARS: N class cars before 1989 only

I was just thinking about which cars are eligible, and came up with the following list of 14 cars:

Alpine A110 1600S
BMW M3
Chevrolet Corvette C3
De Tomaso Pantera
Ferrari 512BB
Fiat 500
Ford GT40 Mk1
Ford Mustang Mach 1
Lamborghini Countach
Lamborghini Miura
Shelby Cobra
Toyota 2000GT
Toyota Supra 3.0 GT Turbo
VW Sambabus

What about the following?

Although I don't have the skills to do justice to it, I would love for someone to attempt a barn find Audi Sport Quattro! I think that 200 Sport Quattro cars were manufactured - so a barn find is a possibility.

I'd like to add the Dodge Challenger R/T 1970 (N400)

They are Gr.X anyways, so I agree as well on not having them available. :)

I'm happy for you to post the pics as examples if you like (I don't want to infirnge the honourable mentions rule). 👍

Then I will! Updating my example post in a few moments. :)

If you need it sharing in-game at all, let me know and I can do it tonight.

If you want to, go ahead! :)

That looks good, the exhaust imo looks a bit much though.

Yeah, forgot to add some transparent decals on top to fade it a little. (Same on the bumpers) oh well, luckily it’s not an entry just an example.

Too bad that some very important parts of the cars cannot be decorated, as the window panes, the lights and the wheels. So it will be a big challenge to create a perfect barnfind.
This was the issue I found. Also matt finish decals have a habit of looking too satiny in scapes so my attempt just looked like a rusty turd rather than the dusty abandoned look I was aiming for. But it shows what can be achieved with just the game's own decals and gradient fades.

It was purely an exercise in trying out a few techniques to help @syntex123 with this comp, I only spent a few hours trying out various ideas. If you took the time to make some custom decals and masks you could create some quite interesting results such as hand prints or more detailed scuffs.

This was the issue I found. Also matt finish decals have a habit of looking too satiny in scapes so my attempt just looked like a rusty turd rather than the dusty abandoned look I was aiming for. But it shows what can be achieved with just the game's own decals and gradient fades.

It was purely an exercise in trying out a few techniques to help @syntex123 with this comp, I only spent a few hours trying out various ideas. If you took the time to make some custom decals and masks you could create some quite interesting results such as hand prints or more detailed scuffs.
Indeed, your model is showing pretty well what can be achieved by the provided stuff. Not everyone has the tools and skills to create own graphic material, so I'd like to recommend a look at the user created content at gran-turismo.com. Some interesting decals to be checked out.
Screenshot 2018-07-05 21.46.59.png

If you took the time to make some custom decals and masks you could create some quite interesting results such as hand prints or more detailed scuffs.

I did a hand print on the hood on mine. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back