The GT Sport Livery Editor Competition 12 - CLOSED

• Thread starter syntex123
  • 123 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
FINAL ENTRY

1985 Toyota TOM's 85C-L #36

About a week ago I was searching for something to watch and found this really cool youtube channel that has a bunch of old Japanese tv spots (I'm not sure what they are exactly) that were highlight packages of the big Japanese races such as the Fuji 1000K and Suzuka 1000K. They also had highlight packages for Japanese entrants at Le Mans, and one of the first videos I saw of his was a spot about this TOM'S prototype and its Dome counterpart taking part in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. I'd never seen this car before and I instantly fell in love with it. Sure it didn't do well that year (as well as anything that wasn't a Porsche) but I'll be damned if I don't have a soft spot in my heart for semi obscure prototypes. Someone needs to love the Spices and Courages of the world

As for the livery I recreated it as best I could on the Mk III Supra (Just pretend the OZ wheels are sick Volk Racing fan inserts). I think the livery suits the car really well and it could just as easily been an actual livery for the Group A car. And while I wanted to be as authentic as possible and replicate the driving suits and helmet along with the car, I don't think that would be in the spirit of the theme, plus I couldn't find any images of the driving suits that weren't a blurry mess from old VHS tapes. So the suit is just a generic suit (mainly because I'm not a fan of the suit editor, or laziness. You choose) and the helmet is a mishmash of Satoru Nakajima's (who drove the car) actual helmet and the lines from the car.

Also a huge thank you to @MatskiMonk for helping me with some of the decals. I probably would still be stuck trying to get any of the ones I requested under the 15kb limit.

this is fantastic man, great work

FINAL ENTRY
  • My name: Luke
  • My nickname: Lucky
  • My job: Crash Test Dummy
  • My employer: Euro NCAP (European New Car Assessment Programme), Brussels, Belgium
  • My favourite songs: “I Will Survive” and “Stayin’ Alive”
  • My favourite car: Any new and never crashed before
  • My favourite kick: Keeping my eyes wide open at the moment of crash
  • My favourite sports: Extreme Airbagging

Human crash test dummy. Great idea and well done!

FINAL ENTRY
  • My employer: Euro NCAP (European New Car Assessment Programme), Brussels, Belgium

Oh my god, this is excellent! :lol: I honestly thought his favorite band would be Crash Test Dummies. :sly:

Already 15 (great) entries. I’ll need to roll up my sleeves for this one, as I’ve never touched suits or helmets yet.

The helmet editor is decent, nothing too difficult to grasp. Then again the only helmet editing I've done is with rFactor mods of dubious quality. But the suit editor is not on par with the other two. It's oddly restrictive and could be something great if you could decal more than small patches. But then again if you let people color below the belt they'll be an endless amount of dingdongs in the discovery tab. :nervous:

FINAL ENTRY

This is just awesome! :cheers:

FINAL ENTRY

Ok here goes...

With the Livery Editor temporarily borked after 1.23 I decided to give the Helmet and Suit Editors a whirl. I wanted to create a helmet and suit for my own use and after a bit of trial and error came up with this Nissan NISMO themed design which I've finalised for this comp.

The suit is colour-matched to Nissan's Brilliant White Pearl and features sponsorship from NISMO's range of oils. The helmet was the result of just throwing a few ideas about as I got to grips with the way the different projection methods work. It combines NISMO with a bit of Falken with the use of fluro' red Falken Scallops on the sides (best seen in the bonus shot) set against a fluro' metallic red base.

For the livery I wanted to take the opportunity to revamp my own personal livery for Gr.4 races. Starting with a blank canvas I took inspiration from the NISMO/Daishin GT-R's that were entered in the Super Taikyu in 2010 when NISMO were still developing their ST-1 Class car (Such a shame that the Super Taikyu went down the route of GT3 as the top their and the car was never raced again). The base colour is Nissan Brilliant White Pearl as used on the GT-R NISMO and I've kept the sponsorship minimal to keep with the factory-supported look. The number boards are a mix of Super Taikyu and Clubman Cup and also get covered by the Sport Mode number boards.

MMX
FINAL ENTRY

I didn't know what to do for this, but wanted to do something. I like the car, the helmet is alright, and dislike the suit. Just too limited with it. Now that I've built it up, I'm sure you can't wait to see it it. LOL

Looks like something that would be on an RC car in the 90's :lol: Great stuff man.

Reactions: MMX
I’ll vote a bad original livery over a perfect replica 10 times out of ten. I personally like original work. Doing a replica Just doesn’t feel like it’s your work.
Absolutely agree unless it's something just too good not to show off to the world.

I do kinda agree?
Though a replica livery on a 'new' car is still pretty great
Yeah, making old liveries on new cars is fun. I loved making the Cusco Advan Impreza from GT4. The weird angles on the Gr.3 WRX made it a challenge covering the body with carbon fiber. But the result.. well. I’m happy with it.

Same here.

As a guy who entered in the last LEC where it focused on drift cars, mine was a replica too but with some tweaks added to make it fit. And I love how it turned out. It really fits to the car. Only issue was the sponsor box placement and the decals missing from the actual thing.

I'd say to each their own, personally I'm totally fine with well done replicas, I myself am more of a replica kind of guy since I have a low creativity level. But I can understand the idea of going for originals first when voting. It's just a matter of taste :)

I'd say to each their own, personally I'm totally fine with well done replicas, I myself am more of a replica kind of guy since I have a low creativity level. But I can understand the idea of going for originals first when voting. It's just a matter of taste :)

When it comes to creative work, in the beginning, it may be very helpful to study existing liveries and to recreate them. Learning by doing. This might turn out to be a fine trigger for very own designs and well-executed pieces of art. Also the transfer of a classic design to a modern car body can be a challenge. It's up to your own interpretation. Anything is fine – as long as you have fun and keep us entertained.
:gtpflag:

When it comes to creative work, in the beginning, it may be very helpful to study existing liveries and to recreate them. Learning by doing. This might turn out to be a fine trigger for very own designs and well-executed pieces of art. Also the transfer of a classic design to a modern car body can be a challenge. It's up to your own interpretation. Anything is fine – as long as you have fun and keep us entertained.
:gtpflag:
A great way I found to expand my creativity was to try and transform household objects into liveries :D

Just give a note to TYLER2013 -maybe our last winner is desperately looking for a real great theme...:gtpflag:
He actually gave me his theme after 12h of the polls end(new record, fastest one so far :lol:), so unless he tweaks it or changes it, the theme is set!

I won’t say anything, can’t let you guys plan your entries before the competition starts ;)

I myself am more of a replica kind of guy since I have a low creativity level
And this is why replicas aren't a bad thing. Loads of people just don't have an eye for it, loads do! It's not your fault, it's just the way it is!.

I had to make the Low Origin design work last round as I've followed the S14 it was based on through it's multiple looks and a very good friend put a lot of work on the car and laid the paint on it. The lad that owns the car does almost all his own work but Adam from Retroshine is enxt door and an absolute god at bodywork so he got the job on it. The car was too good not to recreate at some point!. P.S it has lambo doors and is silly low.... COME ON!!!
Here it is in it's Lambo glory
IMG_4602-1024x683.jpg
Here's Adam's MK1.25 MX5 he done, the bonnet is an incredible piece of work!
IMG_5359-1024x683.jpg
IMG_5353-1-1024x683.jpg
I wouldn't go putting a generic replica livery on a car if it didn't make me say wow.

PPS, sorry for derailing haha.

Last edited:
@Teal @D-Max

I agree that unless the theme of the comp calls for replicas then there's less challenge in making them compared to coming up with something original, but also because you could spend hours on something to make it 100% accurate and get beaten by something thrown together in a matter of minutes because not everyone has the same eye for detail when it comes to judging.

It's very easy to make a replica livery, but very, very hard to make a good one! I can still spot errors in even the best liveries out there where someone has used a non-period correct decal or the scale or positioning is off.

If people are churning them out in a matter of hours then the chances are the result is not very good. At a quick glance they might look ok, but compared to the real thing they look way off. For example, I still have all the decals for the Calsonic R32 in my library, I could chuck them all on a blank car in 5 mins and would have a rough approximation of the real thing, but to place the decals correctly, cross-referencing various images to work out the exact size and position takes the best part of a day if not longer.

Equally if they're either not making their own decals (I think anyone that makes a 'detailed' replica using entirely other people's decals can't really compare to those of us that invest the time in doing everything from scratch), using heavily autotraced blurry decals or "The closest thing I could find" decals, then turnaround time would be faster. I've spent upwards of a 100 hours on a livery before researching and making decals to ensure everything is as accurate as possible and all decals are accounted for.

I accept it's not for everyone but I find if you don't get any satisfaction from making a replica then chances are you're not trying hard enough. The feeling you get once you've nailed a livery, got it as close to the real thing as possible is immense. I take far more satisfaction knowing I've done the best I can and got a car as good as it can be down to the tiniest detail than I do from throwing a few 'random' decals on a car and calling it done.

The other issue I have with custom liveries is that tastes change. I love the simplistic nature of 80's-90's liveries where you generally had a base colour (or two), maybe a stripe or motif and sponsor decals. Nowadays with full-body printed wraps it seems unless you have an overly complicated design with lots of shapes and patterns it's not considered good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back