Not open for further replies.

syntex123

Currently lurking!
Premium
Norway
Færder
syntex123
Syntex260Z

What oil do you like? Doesn't matter. It's all about Castrol this fortnight. Livery and image by @Cytoria - (click for full-size)

This Fortnight's Theme
Castrol. Who doesn't have a favorite livery in mind when you hear that word? I know I do. Tom's Supra anyone? This fortnight Cytoria has brought us an interesting imaginative story to get you inspired too, let's hear:

If the LEC #13 was about copying something real, this week’s theme is more about creativity and freedom. I’ve also chosen the Gr.4 class cars because they were the less represented in the previous competitions (Blitz’s NSX from LEC #01 is the only winning Gr.4 car yet).

« I’m a marketing director and I work for Castrol Competition Service. This year, we’ve got the budget to sponsor one team in an international touring car series. We can’t afford a full season in the FIA WEC or another high-end championship, so we’d rather focus on smaller classes. Over the years, Castrol sponsored a lot of teams, with very various designs. Now we want to choose the team which shows the best our identity and involvement in motorsports.»

CARS : Gr.4 cars only.
LIVERIES : Original creations are highly encouraged, but I won’t disqualify a livery inspired by an existing Castrol livery.
USER MADE DECALS : Allowed.
LOCATIONS : Shiretoko / White Sands for the main pics
UNIQUE RESTRICTIONS :
  • Castrol has to be the main sponsor of the car, but it may not be the only sponsor if you wish so.
  • As the theme takes place in the present and with modern cars, only the current Castrol logo is allowed. You can still play with it (text only, round shape only, etc…) but you can’t use older versions of the logo.
  • All Gr.4 cars are allowed.
  • The livery must be Sport Mode friendly. You can use your own number plate or none, but the livery must be compatible with the « Type 1 » GT plate.
  • No need to design a suit or helmet.
  • Presentation : two main pics from the mandatory locations (see settings in the spoiler below), and one bonus shot with no restrictions.
Shiretoko
Car:
Detailed Settings:
- Key Lights: Off

Camera:

EV: +0.5

Effects:
Temperature: 9500 K

Screen Effects 1:
Mask: Background
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
- Saturation: 0
- Brightness: 500
- Contrast: 150 (This is key to controlling how light/dark the under-car shadow will appear)

Car Effects:
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
- Saturation: 125
- Brightness: 125
(Adjust these figures to suit the colour of the car)

White Sands 01/09

Zoom: around 90mm at stock position
Aperture: f/32
Exposure Correction: +1.0
Shutter Speed: 1/1
Single AF on the A-pillar/mirror

Temperature: 6500
Color Cast Correction: 0.025

Screen Effect: Background Mask
Individual Correction:
Saturation: 100%
Brightness: 500
Contrast: 250
Highlight: 0

Car Effects:
Brightness 120

Competition Rules

Please, ensure you read and understand all requirements for this competition. Failure to follow the rules may result in disqualification. If you have questions, start a convo with me.
  • The only way you can take part is to be a member of the GTPlanet forums. If you haven't created your account yet, click here.
  • It is recommended you host your image either here on GTPlanet (via the Media section), or on Flickr.
  • Not sure how to submit your image? Here's a guide for both methods mentioned above.
  • Preview images must not exceed 640 pixels in either direction.
  • A preview image must be representative of the full-size image. Do not add effects to it.
  • Please use a clickable-preview to full-size, not a separate text link for it;
    it makes poll creation much easier!
  • Mark your FINAL ENTRY clearly, with red text.
  • Unsure how to? Copy and paste the following:
Code:
[COLOR=red][B]FINAL ENTRY[/B][/COLOR]
  • You are required to use two ‘main’ photos, viewing the front and the back of the car and/or suit. You can post one additional photos inside a spoiler.
  • No heavy post-game editing, slight enhancing is allowed.
  • One entry per user. It must be your own work, and never previously used in a comp.
  • Do not ask other users to choose your entry.
  • Absolutely no entries which utilize edited/hacked file saves.
  • You may change your entry once. Do it clearly; edit out your previous entry, and
    either post the new one in a new reply, or in place of the original.
  • Do not post "Honourable Mentions" or outtakes - just your Final Entry, that's all.
  • Winner gets to choose the following Fortnight's theme.
  • Winners cannot enter in their own theme!
  • The Host may ask for the original image/livery and it must be submitted if so.
  • It's recommended to share the original livery online(in-game) to prove it’s your work.

Deadline

September 26, 2018 (23:59, CEST/GMT+2)

Here's what your entry should look like. (Except you need a red Final Entry tag, of course).
Made by @Cytoria :

DEMO ENTRY

I’ve chosen to share my demo entry. This way, newcomers can see how it needs to be presented.

I don’t know exactly why, but I wanted my Castrol livery on the Viper or on the Corvette. On the Viper, it would have been inspired by the Team Oreca, but with the « Mobil 1 blue » replaced by the Castrol green. But as I wanted to encourage more original liveries, I’ve kept this one for another day ;). So here is the Castrol Corvette, using the shapes of the latest Castrol liveries (Civic TCR, NSX GT3, motorbikes...) and with some classic Corvette clues, highlighted in black (bonnet, rear bumper, roof...). As said in the rules and shown in the bonus shot, it is Sport Mode ready, but I’ve chosen to share it without any number because it looked cleaner and sharper.

Link :
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gts...lery/all/livery/1276435/1/7277900645081842201

And below you can find the correct decals, and also a nice color guide posted by Raph.

When it comes to professional corporate design, some of you might find this Castrol Corporate Colour Guide interesting.

If anyone struggles with entering now, I'd highly recommend reading this post and of course the one above (which you should before entering anyway.) again.

Happy livery making, everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Figured this was the theme when @Cytoria 's Flickr flagged this up in my feed :lol:

Great idea for a theme! Will be interesting to see what people come up with.

@syntex123 you just need to remove the random attachment in the OP

Better get this asked now. What is the current Castrol logo?
I just tried to download that attachment thinking it was the current logo haha

Looking at their website, it seems to be the white box logo that’s in the game as standard, but I’m not sure what the ‘full size’ one would be for a whole car livery

I've always thought "in the remote case of me winning, I'd give a theme based on a specific sponsor", so here we are at it! Very nice theme, need to think this through properly :)

@Teal the one in the banner in the OP ;)

And do we have to use the entire logo, or can we just use the round part? I plan on putting some time in this one and don’t want to use the wrong one.

And do we have to use the entire logo, or can we just use the round part? I plan on putting some time in this one and don’t want to use the wrong one.

• As the theme takes place in the present and with modern cars, only the current Castrol logo is allowed. You can still play with it (text only, round shape only, etc…) but you can’t use older versions of the logo.

Yes, so long as it's the current logo not the old round design (with Castrol in the middle).

The current logo is indeed the one in the game library.

You can also add the « EDGE » if you want to, as it is widely used in Castrol sponsorship nowadays.

it says only current Castrol logo. This doesn't stop other sponsors on the car does it?

I would also assume that since Castrol is owned by BP we can’t use secondary sponsors that are a direct competitor to any BP owned company?

I would also assume that since Castrol is owned by BP we can’t use secondary sponsors that are a direct competitor to any BP owned company?

You can if the competitor decal is mandatory in the series. Like Falken is used on every N24 livery even if the car wear Michelin tires.

But you can’t do a full mixed Total/Castrol livery.

Honestly, why aren't both old and new allowed? It seems pretty limiting from an artistic perspective to only have the new logo available.

Honestly, why aren't both old and new allowed? It seems pretty limiting from an artistic perspective to only have the new logo available.
Since we don't have any old Gr.4 cars, it's pretty obvious why. :)

Now, I'll have to get the front page polished and submitted for review. If you'll excuse me..

Like @BLiTZ and @syntex123 said. The goal is to promote the current brand, hence the current logo. And I’ve chosen the Gr.4 cars because they all are brand new and the logo won’t look odd on them like if it was on a old Alpine.

Plus, the more restrictive the rules are, the more creativity I expect to see. Just take a look at all the Castrol liveries over the past. White, black, red, green. 4 colours only, and how many iconic designs were born ? The next generation is here !

I couldn’t finish my demo entry in time for the launch but hopefully it will be out soon.

Just send it to me whenever you have it ready @Cytoria, and I'll edit it into the OP. :)

Just curious if only Castrol Edge is ok, what about GTX and the like?

Oh yeah Castrol! (even I more like Mobil 1) have 1 Idea so far not sure it fit with the car or not but that's another story :gtpflag:

FINAL ENTRY
I don't know if I put enough effort in to this, it took me all night as I couldn't sleep so I hope it pleases others. I wanted to go away from the normal white base on Castrol Sponsored cars and do something not too crazy but a little different. I took my inspiration from the 2017 M6 GT3 from Bathurst which is sponsored by Castrol Edge and Vodafone but I didn't want to replicate.
It is a predominantly German sponsored car for the best part with some other sponsors thrown in. I was going to provide a bonus shot with an official number board but couldn't decide what to stick with so I kept it in the requested door board.
I didn't want to over complicate the design as GT4 cars aren't that well known for having wild liveries so a couple of curves and simple lines to upset the balance of the car in what I think is a complimentary way. I changed up the red and green lines on each side of the car to give it a little bit of originality. A mirror object is too easy to do :lol:
The little things you may not notice is that Carbon Splitter, Grill, Roof, Mirror caps, Rear wing and Rear splitter, all done with a custom decal as the game changed it all when I changed the base colour.

Last edited:
@dizco :

The livery itself almost fits the rules but I have two remarks :
1) Although I will allow to promote any product in the current Castrol range, it feels weird to promote EDGE and GTX3 on the same car. I think you’d have to choose between those two.
2) If it is your entry, you’ll need one shot from the back, not two from the front.

But it is a nice base, keep it up.

@D-Max :

Nice job. It gives a modern look for the Castrol sponsorship and fits the M4 lines quite well. That was a night well spent ;)

FINAL ENTRY
After googling for Castrol livery I think this one the best result from me. So here's me with my Castrol livery on Audi.
Not sure that chrome part is visible or not photo lol, and sorry if double post my internet pretty bad at this moment

Edit: Final Entry not will edit again after this, added black in front and give more chrome on back, and use asymmetric color. Change the rims for give TT RS VLN vibes.

Livery Link:
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gts...lery/all/livery/2197694/1/8584428322133377049

Last edited:
Maybe not the final version

Inspired by classic Castrol liveries, i took the colour scheme, the actual logo and added some fresh shapes and modern elements. Maybe this one does not exactly fit the competition requirements - if so, please let me know.

I’ll repeat what @Cytoria said, and add another thing:

Do not post "Honourable Mentions" or outtakes - just your Final Entry, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back