The GT Sport Livery Editor Competition 58 (Group 5) - CLOSED

• Thread starter Cytoria
  • 203 comments
I’ll allow it.. just because the car was designed as a race car with the CSL in mind and your livery stays true to the idea at hand. 👍
Thanks a lot!

I couldn't decide if I would have to do it on the M4 to put the same wheels than the original or on the Z4 to stay on a small bodied car!

I promise I won't abuse with the rules in the future! :D

I am not making the decisions, but I really hoped someone will be brave enough to make a livery on the VGT! Looks good!

It's not that brave but thanks.

I truly don't have much time at the moment "because of" my job.

It's not THE livery of my career :D and I don't expect anything when I see what already came up in this LEC!

But it's a BMW, it's 1978, it's old school, simple and quite nicely reproduced from the original, with some small details you can't see at first sight, so I'm quite happy with my entry. :)

Anyway, thanks again for your comment. :cheers:

Last edited:
FINAL ENTRY

Vegla Racing Team Joest Racing Porsche 935 J

View media item 64706View media item 64705
180827062743594055.jpg

LINK

Last edited:
The third of a trio of chassis built for Joest Racing, this particular livery emulates the car as it would have driven in the 1982 Le Mans. Would, as it ended up crashing during practice, ending it's racing career as far as I could find out. While the car did get restored, it's now sporting a Liqui Moly livery, much like when it first started racing.

Last edited:
This is interesting! Haven't had much experience with the livery editor, so I'll take my time. I've already found something cool!

EDIT:

FINAL ENTRY

Ferrari 458 Gr. 3 - Ferrari N.A.R.T. 512BB LM Gr. 5 Replica
Link: https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/user/livery/12533442/1/6846119052606177816

Simplistic and to-the-point Italian excellence. And also not very difficult to make, but I feel that the 80s sponsors don't really play too well with the 458's body lines. Still, I stuck through it and I believe it is a good first attempt for me; I have faith but it probably won't do too well, given what's already been posted! :lol:
It works well as just a replica though.

20200704064236.jpg

20200704064245.jpg

20200704064252.jpg

20200704064302.jpg

b88dc847-fc9d-4f90-b893-beed8272ec6a.jpg

1dad8654-4357-4e9f-bc79-927d2545c2ff.jpg

Last edited:
No originals yet? That's disappointing.

You're right. I'll have to give this a try, probably out of this competition. Would give some cool possibilities to develop a heritage about a fictional Group 5 livery.

On the other side, the biggest advantage is that you can transfer the emotions and story from the "real" 70s car to your own design, i.E. @Cytoria with his Lanciaghini. That's why I suggest all entrys have choosen this way...

I may or may not be working on another car, undecided as whether or not to change my entry.

Edit: I may just share it normally, quite happy with my current entry.

Last edited:
UNIQUE RESTRICTIONS :
- If you create an original livery, try to stay as close to the style of the 70s Group 5 machines as possible - nothing too modern.
- In all cases, try to use 70s period correct decals.

Does this include number boards? Because going by the liveries thus far opinion seems split.

I hope to have my entry ready in the next days, only need to make one last SVG :D

View media item 64796View media item 64797
1979 Schnitzer Motorsport "Rodenstock-Würth" BMW 320
This was the inspiration to my livery
The likable German Manfred Winklehock drove this car to victory at the Zandvoort round of the DRM in 1979.

I choose to use the Mustang for this replica, because all the modern BMW's have huge air vents on their hoods and it would destroy the look.

Here is a link to a short video on my Twitter

And here is the link to the livery in my Gran Turismo gallery

https://www.gran-turismo.com/sg/gts...ery/all/livery/10755884/1/6566323037012002304

Last edited:
FINAL ENTRY

My first entry and it's been a lot of fun... If you like my stuff friend me on GTS "StampedChipmunk"​

The inspiration for my livery is BMW's 3rd art car which was painted by pop art artist Roy Lichtenstein. You can find out more about the project here: https://www.bmwartcarcollection.com/2011/05/03-roy-lichtenstein-bmw-art-car/

BMW have been comissioning race car liveries from the 1970s, but I really like Lichtenstein's style so this competition was an attempt to take his livery and apply it to the modern BMW racer.

It's NOT an exact copy, mainly because the proportions between the 320 CSL (Batmobile) and the modern M6 GT3 are very different, as well as new scoops and different wing designs. I've tried to think what would Lichtenstein do when faced with many of the challenges of the new car - though I would never claim to be able to emulate him!

In short the nose of the car, and mostly everything from the back of the doors rear-wards is my design. IIRC the Body section in livery editor was at 280+ decals.

The car raced at LeMans in 1977 as #50 with Herve Poulain (the gentleman racer who came up with the art car idea in 1975) and Marcel Mignot as the drivers. The car was officially a privateer French entry in the IMSA class, so the only logos on the car are the IMSA class badge and the French Flag along side the racing number. When BMW reclaimed the car after the race, the racing decals were removed (as was the only sponsor logo (Goodyear) on the nose, so I decided to base my design on the racing version.

I've been dicking about with GT liveries for a while now, but this is the first time I've entered a competition and put my work on display. The standard here is incredibly high, you guys all rock!

Thanks for reading,

S.

FINAL ENTRY

My first entry and it's been a lot of fun... If you like my stuff friend me on GTS "StampedChipmunk"​

First entry? This? Wow! Welcome!

Tried to do something a little bit different for this one. I've always been intrigued with the BMW Art Cars and was pleased to see that they had a few running in this category back in the day. Went for the Frank Stella 1976 version for this and I can safely say I never wish to apply a grid to a car ever again. So many headaches...

P90109157-bmw-art-cars-on-display-by-frank-stella-1976-bmw-3-0-csl-and-alexander-calder-1975-bmw-3-0-csl-on-we-2168px.jpg

I did the Lichetenstein (Art car No 3) and seriously thought about canning it ("What have I done??") - great work bud, looks ace!

FINAL ENTRY

Bravo to you sir, I toyed with this art car before opting for the Frank Stella version. Terrific work, I tip my cap to you.

Bravo to you sir, I toyed with this art car before opting for the Frank Stella version. Terrific work, I tip my cap to you.

Hah , I did the exact opposite. I am stunned at your Stella car, it looks amazing and must have taken ages. I don't know how you did it: I had enough trouble with the dots.... :)

1979 Schnitzer Motorsport "Rodenstock-Würth" BMW 320
This was the inspiration to my livery
The likable German Manfred Winklehock drove this car to victory at the Zandvoort round of the DRM in 1979.

I choose to use the Mustang for this replica, because all the modern BMW's have huge air vents on their hoods and it would destroy the look.

Here is a link to a short video on my Twitter

And here is the link to the livery in my Gran Turismo gallery

https://www.gran-turismo.com/sg/gts...ery/all/livery/10755884/1/6566323037012002304

I updated my entry. It's minor changes, but I had to update all pictures of course and all links.

Back