The GT World Series; Season One! {Pre-season!}

  • Thread starter Thread starter Storm_SP17
  • 214 comments
  • 8,125 views

Which Tracks do you want to see in the Season Roster?

  • Spa - Belgium

    Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Sarthe - France

    Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Nurburg - Germany

    Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Monza - Italy

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Coté D'Azure - Monaco

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Madrid - Spain

    Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Eiger - Switzerland

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Fuji F - Japan

    Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Suzuka - Japan

    Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Tokyo R246 - Japan

    Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Motegi - Japan

    Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Daytona - USA

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Indianapolis - USA

    Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Laguna Seca - USA

    Votes: 8 50.0%

  • Total voters
    16
I don't know why, but the McLaren was all too tail happy on the throttle through the end of the downward spiral and through the next section. Even feathering it was a pain. Given that the McLaren and Ferrari were using similar specs, I wasn't expecting such a big gap in the times.

Bah, it's probably my tune that's bad.

After tuning a car specifically for this track, without the "permission" to use an adjustable LSD, I can tell you, that the slight banking will cause you to spin. Try to drive a go-kart in the snow here. (100% weather at Eiger is actually snow, FYI) You'll see what I mean. The snow is slippery enough that the kart's biggest influence is not the steering inputs, but is ACTUALLY the banking/slope of the track.
 
Well guys, all of this is Greek to me :lol: I haven't gotten the car on the track yet.
 
So I've managed to improve on my time from qualifying in practice, and nearly smashed that a lap later until I messed up. Seth said his 1:04.3 was on about 3/4 of a tank, and I'm guessing his racing hard tyres were nice and warm too.

1:05.597 could have been better the next lap around but screwed it up, and possibly could have hit the 1:04's at some point if not for having to take my sister out over the park, as promised. Maybe not as low as 1:04.3 though. I'm now on 1:05.521.
 
I am interested to see what happens when the SLS takes the track. I see that Mel didn't qualy either. :sly:
 
I am interested to see what happens when the SLS takes the track. I see that Mel didn't qualy either. :sly:

Was asleep. Sorry.


tumblr_m0xagne1IU1r8kneko1_500.jpg
 
The tires I used were about 3 or 4 laps old when I did the 1:04.360, I had more than 3/4 of a tank. It was on lap 12 (13 including first outlap), so I know 1:03's were in it. I wasn't really trying to push, because if you push then you spin, especially in the turns 1-4 complex. HARD tires felt good, can't imagine what softs will be like.
 
Is there a way we could start the races a little earlier? Maybe a half hour earlier? I'm holding the Supertouring series of mine at 8pm eastern, and this may run a little over the start time of that.
 
I'm game, don't know about others

Anyways, for the next track: Daytona, Monza or Motegi? I think a fast track, as opposed to a technical track is in order.
 
The next race, after this week, will be Daytona.

As for starting the races earlier, it's unlikely. I work lates during the latter part of the week and at the weekend.
 
That's cool. Hopefully I'll be able to complete the races, if they don't go over an hour and we start on time it shouldn't be a problem. But if they go over an hour I'll have to leave early.
 
I believe the last race lasted 40 minutes, if that's anything to go by.
 
So, tomorrow, at which hour, and which specs? Well, okay, fine, today**.
 
We still on for Today/Tonight? Looking forward to a good race.
 
Yeah we are. I'll have the room up in half hour or so.
 
Room is up, my lobby.
 
Well, that was a lengthy race for me. Still, I avoided more torment from coming out of that tunnel.
 
Was bumped off track. Am done with heavy damage already.
 
Was bumped off track. Am done with heavy damage already.

Sorry Mel, I didn't expect you to brake over 50m before my braking point. Do you use ABS?

Good race tonight I guess. I made the strategic move of starting on softs because I wasn't sure if it was going to rain or not. I figured at least I would have gotten my softs stint in. I made a driver error, and went over the jump at a slight angle. That threw me in the pits only 3 laps after my last pit stop. Too bad Seth's doorbell rang, or he would have won.
 
Ok race even with people dropping like dead flies. Cars were a little closer, SLS still slightly faster IMO. My best was 1:03.4 on softs I think, but I was on lower fuel. CND was able to get a 1:03.1 on softs in the opening stint. So I don't feel the 458 needs 30kg extra TBF. After the race I jumped in the Aston Martin and right away did a 1:03.7 on softs the first lap. Tire wear is a bit of a problem with that car though.
 
I managed a 1:03.9 on softs. I just couldn't get the tune right for the track. The final section of the slope and the turn after it caught me out so much with spin. I think I managed low 1:06's on hards. If the car was poised enough through those two areas I'd have been laughing, but it was too much oversteer. I suppose its just getting used to the car and finding a tune with poise.

Daytona on Monday guys! Then I'll be reviewing the cars again.
 
Last edited:
That track is definitely not a place to have a car that isn't to your liking. I was getting some oversteer when my tires were low, but I managed it. I had to pit twice because there was someone at the door. I don't know about heavy damage either. I managed with it because this track is so twisty you're always turning, but other tracks won't be so forgiving with front steering damage.
 
I don't think Daytona is the best track to do speccing. Some of the cars have a 7 speed transmission which gives them extra speed on the long straits. I think Laguna Seca would be the better place for testing.
 
You gotta think about tire wear as well. The Aston may be fast, but with it's weight, I don't think the tires will last nearly as long as say, the BMW.
 
You gotta think about tire wear as well. The Aston may be fast, but with it's weight, I don't think the tires will last nearly as long as say, the BMW.

Yea that is another aspect. How was your tire life in the 458?
 
Sorry Mel, I didn't expect you to brake over 50m before my braking point. Do you use ABS?

Good race tonight I guess. I made the strategic move of starting on softs because I wasn't sure if it was going to rain or not. I figured at least I would have gotten my softs stint in. I made a driver error, and went over the jump at a slight angle. That threw me in the pits only 3 laps after my last pit stop. Too bad Seth's doorbell rang, or he would have won.

That was the second time I'd been hit by someone, or something (lag?) and put into a wall. I had already pitted to fix it. I was on hards. Therefore, while you were trying to lap me, you braked at a soft tires braking point, and I braked at a hard tire braking point.



Seriously, though, I'm not running with heavy damage on, if Seth's going to almost spin out in front of me every corner. Car control; you need it.
 
New connection, you need it. Obviously you were seeing lag, because I wasn't 'spinning out' every lap. As for my tire wear, I could have one stopped the race. Just had to go about 17 or 18 laps on hards and I would have been fine.
 
New connection, you need it. Obviously you were seeing lag, because I wasn't 'spinning out' every lap. As for my tire wear, I could have one stopped the race. Just had to go about 17 or 18 laps on hards and I would have been fine.

I was plenty good on tires. I went 13 on softs, and I could have gone 14 or 15 easily. I wasn't pushing too hard after about lap 5 on softs though.
 
New connection, you need it. Obviously you were seeing lag, because I wasn't 'spinning out' every lap. As for my tire wear, I could have one stopped the race. Just had to go about 17 or 18 laps on hards and I would have been fine.

You were driving your Ferrari sideways. Pretty hard to pass here as is.
 
I don't drive sideways bud. Maybe since you haven't slept in a day or whatever you said, you were seeing things? Or maybe since Storm was the host, the room may've shown lag. I can't drive a car sideways and go 17 laps on the same set of tires.
 
Back