The GT6 Photomode Tournament Discussion Thread: Season 2 - 2.0 Advanced Champion crowned.

• Thread starter Nato_777
  • 128 comments
Would it be okay if two opponents in a match agree by PM to use the same car with the same colour at the same location at the same daytime with the same weather for even more thrill?
:confused: :gtpflag:

Would it be okay if two opponents in a match agree by PM to use the same car with the same colour at the same location at the same daytime with the same weather for even more thrill?
:confused: :gtpflag:
There's nothing in the rules against it, so I'd imagine it's okay. Given a proper theme for it, it would be cool if two opponents did a photoshoot together and shot their respective photos from the same race.

Nato_777, post: 10459504, member: 137542"]@Raphaele - I can't see any problem if both parties agree. ;)[/QUOTE]

Promising visions indeed. Thank you Nathan.

As the Poll thread for Round One is now locked I will post part two of my Round One critique in this thread instead - just as soon as I finish it, which I will have done tomorrow sometime. I'll re-post the first part here then too. :)

As the Poll thread for Round One is now locked I will post part two of my Round One critique in this thread instead - just as soon as I finish it, which I will have done tomorrow sometime. I'll re-post the first part here then too. :)

Curious, Nathan!

Better late then never - Here is my full review of Round One.

Photography like any art is a subjective medium and the way an image is perceived and impacts on a person is different for everyone as personal preferences , memories and emotions all come into play. The following is just my personal perception and is neither right nor wrong and you can feel free to agree or disagree with anything I say.
I am not very good at putting my thoughts into words so I hope I at least make some sense and there's something helpful amongst it for you.

Match 01 – Silhouette

RobbiefromBC – disqualified - I won't even bother.

Stopforpetrol – I really like this image and it received my vote. The car is well positioned against the light source and on a great angle to give us a nice silhouette and there's just enough play of light over the body to accentuate some of the details in the cars form. I do like the way the tree frames the car though it does possibly detract a little from the silhouette.
On my desktop computer and the ones at work the silhouette effect is very good with the foreground dark and a good contrast with the background lighting but on my laptop the whole image is too bright and the silhouette effect is lost so how you perceive the image to fit the theme may be determined by the screen you view it on. Well done Werner – a deserved winner.

Match 02 – Keeping it Real

Farushi – There are a few exceptional car choices in GT6 when it comes to capturing a realistic photo and the You Tube Nismo GTR is certainly one of them. It is a car that photographs especially well so was a great choice for your entry and by keeping everything else simple it allows it to shine all the more. The lack of any extreme camera angles and the background without any obvious game cues all aids the shots credibility as a potential real photo. A very solid effort which got my vote.

Mires – I loved the fact you took a different approach and went for a retro look and in that regard I thought it performed really well. The location and car choice were both great with the exposure and filter used producing a very convincing old photo. It was a close call for me between yours and Farushi's but in the end the GTR just won out.

Match 03 – Banking the Curve

Yui-san – There's a lot to like about this image though overall I found it a little dark – that said the partial colour filter worked beautifully. The angles here is what made the photo great to me with the extreme angle emphasizing the banked curve well and I really liked interplay of the lines formed by the fence and that of the road. The fence line slicing across the image to the top right and the conflicting line of the road from the bottom left racing to the top right and then curving off to follow the fence back in the other direction seemed to bring a nice sort of balance to the photo. A dynamic shot that got my vote.

GTracer98 – A good photo, for me it just lacked that something special to take it to the next level. The angle is good with a similar line created by the fence and the contrast of light and shadow on the car is very nice too but overall the image feels a little flat. I think it's both the toning and a lack of a sense of motion that causes that for me. As I say a good photo just didn't grab my attention like Yui-san's did.

Match 04 – GT2 Nostalgia

133tom – I thought the use of monochrome helped give a nice feeling of nostalgia and the car choice was great too – definitely a car I would associate with GT2. Here again I find the elevation and angle of the shot along with the lines of the road and markings work together well to make the photo interesting and balanced. This one got my vote.

Philipp Nunes – Another great car choice for the theme as is the track. 👍 And in complete contrast to 133tom's is wonderfully vivid and saturated which also can be considered to be quite nostalgic. Though also in contrast here I find the angle used to feel somewhat awkward no doubt in part because the very front edge of the car is cut off at the bottom edge of the image. Also the use of the miniature filter here, though it produces the vivid colours mentioned earlier, also doesn't work well with the extreme angle. These things are all easy to fix though and you had the base of a great photo. With just a less extreme angle and better positioning of the car within the frame of the image a great improvement could be had.

Match 05 – Interior Design

GT_Racer22 – This was a tough match and a difficult decision for me. I like that we're looking in through the window past the safety mesh at the no frills down to business dials and buttons on a racing steering wheel. The buttons are quite nicely framed in the center mesh too, however overall I find the mesh kind of breaks up the image and makes it a little too busy. The idea of the image appealed enough to me though that I just gave it my vote ahead of NBDESIGNZ's.

NBDESIGNZ – A great image – difficult for me to critique this one actually – there's nothing technically wrong with it but it didn't quite do anything for me either and I can't quite figure why. Maybe it's just all a little too soft with a very narrow point of focus – I think this is what makes the image great and at the same time turns me off a little. :confused: Anyway as I say it's art and art is totally subjective and everyone sees it differently and enough saw it different to me. ;) 👍

Match 06 – Bottom Dollar

GBO Possum – I liked that you chose karting, a cheap (in motorsport terms) form of racing, the actual image I struggled with a little though. Whilst I like the idea of the low camera, positioned as though also racing wheel to wheel with the foreground kart, I just found the whole image too busy with nothing in particular to draw my eye to anything. It all feels a little lopsided with most of the features on the right hand side and nothing much of interest to the left. Not a bad image but it needed to be more balance for me.

GTP_Dutchy – Another good car choice for the theme – sums up bottom dollar well and was more in line with what I would have envisioned myself. Just a couple of small issues with this one – firstly the overexposed sun and banding issues detracted from the image. Secondly and something often overlooked is the tree line behind the car. If you take the roof line of the car and project it forward you will notice that the top of the trees follow exactly that line, this effectively makes the car and the background trees one combined block which mean the car loses some of it's impact within the image. Just a simple change of camera angle or elevation can separate those lines and provide better definition for both the car and the tree line. Small things that can make a big difference. :)

Match 07 – Hot for You

Andy Voong – A very simple photo and a great example of less is more. I really like the positioning of the car in the photo and there's a nice sense of motion too. At first glance of the preview size I felt maybe there was a bit of over exposure on the car but when viewed full size it was not the case. I'm not a big fan of the warm filter but I am a fan of this photo and I gave it my vote. :)

Chameleon9000 – Another very good image – I'm liking the sense of motion again and the reflections on the car are very nice too. The only things I can be picky about come down to my personal tastes and they are I don't like the fisheye distortion of the car so much and I find the overhead banner in the middle of the photo a little bit distracting. Neither of those things riun the image for me but see it fall just behind Andy's.

Match 08 – RUF 'n Ready

Beeblebrox237 – This one encapsulated the action part of the theme perfectly. 👍 It was interesting that you both went with the monochrome filter and you both used it to great effect. I love the composition here, the camera angle is great and all the lines within the image all have purpose and balance. There is fisheye distortion in this image too but the lower elevation of the camera means the car isn't as affected as was the case with Chameleon's shot.

Fyshokid – This shot carries with it a great sense of raw gritty drama and in that sense is an absolutely brilliant shot. The use of monochrome only enhances this with the bright white glare from the headlights, and the camera elevation and angle combined with the car only being half in the frame adds a sense of urgency to the shot. This was an incredibly difficult match to decide the vote on, in the end for me it was the GT6 photomode fail that is the background view through windows that tipped me in favour of Beeblebrox. Much like the mysterious disappearance of smoke and dust through the windows, Fyshokid's image has a mysterious disappearance of the headlight glare. The sudden lack of light there bothers me and although it's totally not Fysho's fault it was just enough to tip the scale.

Match 09 – Poser

AudiMan2011 – This was an interesting match as each contestant focused on a different aspect of the theme. Here AudiMan has concentrated it would seem on the 'nice location' aspect and certainly has captured one, though I think at the expense of the posing aspect. To me the car is just parked there and not striking a pose. Even just turning the front wheels to show off some leg, er, I mean rims would have been a big help, though I also think the colour choice of the car could have been better, the dark blue car seems a little lost in the image which already has a lot of blue tone in it. Those two things addressed and it could have been all over for Giulietta73. ;)

Giulietta73 – This time we have the opposite as Eric has focused on the posing and not so much the 'nice location'. The low to the ground camera position and the use of camera tilt combined with the angle of the car and turned front wheels create a great sense of striking a pose. The fact that the pose is captured with the smoke behind is at the same time brilliant and possibly off-putting, brilliant as it adds an extra layer of impact to the pose and possibly off-putting as it also can look like a high shutter speed shot of a burnout instead. The location, whilst arguably a 'nice location' is also lost behind the smoke and being a square image there's not much on show either side of the centrally located car. If a landscape shot had been used instead with more of the background on show it may have ticked both boxes better or then again may have looked even more like a burnout shot. ;) Still this is where I placed my vote as the theme was 'Poser' I felt this one fitted the spirit of the theme the best.

Match 10 – Eat My Dust

AidenNewman888 – A great shot with a wonderful sense of speed and motion. The trailing car is certainly eating the dust of the leading car. For me the composition is good and I like the camera angle and tilt. The only issues I have with the image once again come down to my personal tastes and preferences. I would assume one of the cross processing filters have been used here which make the image very vibrant – not a bad thing by any means but for me it makes the Evo pop a little too much from the road surface losing it's connection with it a little and the dust being a bluish grey makes it look more like smoke and appear a little foreign in the image. Maybe with the warm filter the dust would have blended better and it would have bagged my vote as I really liked the sense of action in the shot.

Crs_D – This one is down and dirty – you really get a sense of the trailing car choking in the dust of the lead car. Whilst I wasn't so much a fan of the extreme closeup of the lead car I did like the concept and the way in which that trailing car is being overwhelmed in the dust cloud behind secured my vote. 👍

Match 11 – The French Connection

Sa7een – Another really nice image here that ticks all the boxes of the theme – I'm liking the way the wall frames the left side of the image and the sense of direction it provides – your eye is drawn nicely to the vanishing point of the road ahead and it gives the car a nice sense of purpose. I would have preferred the Renault to have been a different colour however as being brown in an image with a warm toning is causing it to be a little lost amongst all the other browns in the image but aside from that I have no complaints. :)

KiroKai – Not sure what you were going for here but to me this looks like some alien technology stealth vehicle blasting through Area51 in the late evening or early morning – and I really like it for that. 👍 That said however I do find the image overall to be a little too sparse and dark - the foreground objects tend to compete too much for my attention as a result. As I say I like the imagery the photo conjures in my mind but I found Sa7een's more technically appealing and that's where my vote went.

Match 12 – Playing the Blues

at1503 – Way to play the blues! A wonderful cloud streaked blue sky with the baby blue 'stang contrasting nicely against it. This was a very strong entry and one you can be proud of. The composition makes the most of that great sky and still features the car prominently as well. This was another very tough match to cast my vote for and I had to be real picky to make the call – in the end it was the perspective distortion on the car that just tipped me in favor of GranTurismo916's shot instead.

GranTurismo916 – I instantly liked this photo the moment I saw it – that blue looks great on that car and the car itself with it's striking angles and lines feels at home in that photo travel location. The image has a great depth of field with the car standing out crisply from the background just perfectly off focus and I find the overall tone of the image very pleasant. Maybe not quite as 'on the money' as at1503's entry but for me it just had the edge.

Match 13 – Born in the USA

rallydakar – I really like the play of light on the car in this photo and for me that was the stand out feature, that and the tone of the image. It was possibly quite a risky shot as the bottom of the car cut off where it is feels just a little strange to me – probably compounded by the extreme wide angle of the shot. It is a little dark overall, however I would assume you would have had to lower the EV to get the sun looking as good as it does just peeking over the mountains without it blowing out with over exposure.

Soyuz 77 – I like your car and track choice here, the Ford GT at Le Mans was very fitting for the theme. Unfortunately the shot itself wasn't very strong to me. With the camera position directly behind the car and level with it you lose a lot of visual cues that give a sense of speed and movement so the car looks fairly stationary. Also with the road taking up the entire bottom half of the image there is a lot of empty space there – the car itself being grey is somewhat lost against all the grey space there and also against the grey of the Dunlop bridge in the upper half. The shot may have worked better shot at a three-quarter angle and the car better positioned within the vista under the bridge.

Match 14 – Tunnel Vision

Raphaele - This was another shot I struggled with really, I like your car choice and there's some really nice reflections on the car but I did find the image too dark (I know, it's in a tunnel) :lol: I just felt it needed a more prominent light source from one end of the tunnel. Also I found the angle of the shot to feel a little bit awkward somehow - it was one of those shots that had me wanting to tilt my head to compensate if you know what I mean. It's still a nice image but mazda's shot had the edge for me this round.

mazda787 - This is a great shot. I love the symmetry in the photo. The angle of the shot makes it all the more dramatic and creates a feeling of hurtling through the tunnel at breakneck speed! The choice of car in that regard is spot on though I'm not 100% sold on the colour. :P

Match 15 – Mod Nation

Haitauer – That's one pimped out Abarth 500! 👍 You certainly got into the spirit of the theme here and that Fiat just screams modified! Body kit, dropped, chrome paint, carbon hood, wing, race numbers - it's all there. :) On top of that - I'm liking the location, the composition, the toning, the sense of motion, all combining to create a great image. 👍

hsv - This is my kind of photo, I love the composition and the clean lines provided by the road and barriers. The white M3 looks awesome too as does the beautiful scenery beyond. I really can't fault this image except that the car doesn't scream modified anywhere near to the extent of Haitauer's Fiat. Your image is more to my tastes but I had to give my vote to Haitauer based on it's execution of the theme - but it was very very close. ;)

Match 16 – Bokeh!

Rayquaza – What can I say, I'm a sucker for a Macca and this one in white is devine! I'm not 100% sure about the slight camera tilt - it's fine but I think I'd have preferred it the other direction, but that's just me. The DOF is great, however to me the bokeh effect is quite subtle - something I found with both entries - that said, it is present so all good. I do wonder if the image might have performed slightly better if you had the original size image instead of the resized fullsize as supplied. Even so all things combined here to produce a very pleasing image for me so it got my vote for this match.

nanabu - Another great image, I love the composition and the way the M4 is leaning into the cambered road, as mentioned earlier I find the bokeh to be subtle and I think being a monochrome image and the background being quite sparse, just a little too subtle for me in this case. These were both quality images that you can be proud of - it was not any easy vote.

Well that concludes my brief thoughts on all of your images, I must say you all put on a great and entertaining 1st Round, the standard of the entries was very high - well done to all of you. :bowdown: :cheers:

Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Nathan:tup: Bang on the money;) Nearly got punished there for not giving the nice location a look in!! (Followed by lots of praying that the blue/pink background would be enough to attract the eye!:lol:)

Cheers. I took a whole set in the late evening setting of Willow and that shot was part of the final, darkest photos. Regarded within the set it didn't stand out as particularly dark but when viewed between all the entries I agree it's simply too dark to appeal, especially in preview size. I still think it's a decent shot with the lights and shapes of the Citroen standing out, but the composition of @Sa7een 's shot was obviously more appealing. I still got 15 votes from well recognized fellow GT photographers so I can't complain :)

Thanks for the break down @Nato_777

I agree too that the car should've been a different color, but of the other shots I had, this was the only one with a warm filter, so in the other unfiltered ones the brown was more striking. Just my luck the brown filtering looked best to me and I had a brown car. :boggled:

As always, one's personal work is always worse after it has been shown to others.

@KiroKai I was actually going to submit a photo of the CGT at the same circuit, which also would have been dark. In retrospect, it would would have been interesting to see how the two shots would have compared.

Last edited:
Theme: Tag me
Explanation: Take a photo of any car near any sign, add, billboard or tag on the road, which you can find in game.
Cars: Any
Locations: Any
Unique Restritions: Try to make them both - car and sign which you have chosen - work well together. Example: find a tag on road which says 'SLOW', take your ride along this tag and shoot it at longer exposure so there will be the feeling of speed passing by that SLOW tag on road.

PS: sorry for my english, hope it is all understandable

Say Nathan, in your next review would you mind providing feedback for my qualifier?

Thought it was tourney "themely" but poll disagreed. :ouch:

Was it just too risky a "roll of the dice"?

Say Nathan, in your next review would you mind providing feedback for my qualifier?

Thought it was tourney "themely" but poll disagreed. :ouch:

Was it just too risky a "roll of the dice"?
This photo just won my vote on a first sight :D sadly, there were just few of us, which saw a "piece of art" in it.

It was risky for sure, not everyone was going to get it, but I thought it was brilliant. When you first sent it to me it took me a moment to realise it was a GT6 photo (the square casters gave it away tho) and I was thinking ":odd: why are you sending me a picture of a toolbox?" :lol:
I was hoping that you'd get through on that qualifying image and if memory serves you were doing pretty good in the early stages of voting. Maybe if there were less entries in the qualifier it may have faired better - that combined with the introduction of the 32 vote limit was probably your undoing. Top marks for originality and taking a risk. 👍

The PMC Tournament has finished with the results as follows;

PMC 02 Gold Medal.png
Grand Champion - Gold Medalist
NBDESIGNZ

PMC 02 Silver Medal.png
2nd Place - Silver Medalist
mazda787

PMC 02 Bronze Medal.png
3rd Place - Bronze Medalist
Giulietta73

Just missing out but deserving of an honorable mention
Yui-san

Congratulations! :cheers:

Thank you everyone for your participation in the tournament, both as contestants and voters. I hope you all enjoyed the experience.

The 2.0 Advanced Tournament Qualifier with begin sometime within the next week.​

Hi everyone, I am just about to start the 2.0 Advanced Tournament Qualifying Round.

Just a quick reminder not to put a signature on your entries as we are keeping everything anonymous as per usual. ;)

Once again I would ask if anyone has any themes they would like to see used in this tournament please feel free to let me know by posting here in this thread. (You can see the list of themes used so far in the tournaments in this threads OP).

Best of luck to everyone and happy editing. :)

Theme Name: Baseball, Apple Pie, and Chevrolet!
Description: As American as it gets!!! Take any Chevrolet to any American location, and show us some of that freedom!
Cars: Any Chevrolet.
Locations: Any American.
Unique Restrictions: As above.

Back