The GT6 Photomode Tournament Discussion Thread: Season 2 - 2.0 Advanced Champion crowned.

• Thread starter Nato_777
  • 128 comments

Nato_777

Moderately Super
Premium
New Zealand
Kaikoura, NZ
Nato777
Hi all and welcome to the GT6 Photomode Tournament Discussion Thread.
Here you can discuss everything Tournament related.
Also, this thread will be used as a way to announce new tournament seasons, themes, winners and keep track of prizes.

HOF_tournament_header.png

pmc_tournament_gold_results.png

pmc_tournament_silver_results.png

pmc_tournament_bronze_results.png

adv_tournament_gold_results.png

adv_tournament_silver_results.png

adv_tournament_bronze_results.png

PMC 02 Gold Banner.png

PMC 02 Silver Banner.png

PMC 02 Bronze Banner.png

2.0_tournament_results_gold.png

2.0_tournament_results_silver.png

2.0_tournament_results_bronze.png

List of themes used in Season 01
  • Horse With No Name - ride the legendary strong and wild mustang around the desert
  • Touch The Sky - blur the line between car and plane, and slow some major air time!
  • Java Clouds - let the sky(box) take you on a trip
  • El Classico - take a classic car to madrid and shoot with some classic architecture
  • Not So Standard - take a standard car and photograph it so it doesn't look standard
  • Travel For Two - two is better than one - photograph two cars in a phototravel location
  • Scooby Style - shoot any non-subaru 4wd painted wr blue
  • Can't Kill Us - you may be down and out after a huge wreck, but keep it going
  • An American In London - shoot any american non-race car in london
  • World War III - take classic battles and put them in car form
  • Illuminant - take a picture of any source(s) of light within the game
  • Inner Beauty - take a picture of your favourite ugly car
  • Fire Away - the launch, the peel out, that moment of escape from the starting line
  • Portrait - create a masterpiece using the classic portrait lens - 35mm f/1.4
  • An Eye For Detail - take a close up shot showing the detail in a cars headlights
  • Drifting Elsewhere - non-japanese rear-wheel drive car drifting
  • Green With Envy - expensive car painted green
  • Psychedelia - psychedelic 60's and 70's cars
  • GoPro - simulate a gopro camera photo during a race
  • Dirty Vibe - show your car covered in dirt and dust
  • Rain Dance - high powered car in the rain
  • Zoology - car with animal name or emblem
  • The Portrait Landscape - scenery photo shot in portrait
  • Days To Come - wide angle shot from behind car
  • Catch Some Z's - shoot any car with a z in it's name
  • Mr Evil - mr car trying to kill you
  • Yin Yang - a black and white car together
  • Oh Rally? - let loose with a rally car in the dirt or snow
  • M Machine - photograph a m power bmw
  • Deutsch Engineering - german car in a german location
List of themes used in Season 02
  • Silhouette - take a shot to show a silhouette of your car
  • Keeping it Real - produce a photograph that looks as real as you possibly can
  • Banking the Curve - take a picture of a car in a banked corner
  • GT2 Nostalgia - take a shot of a car that was in gran turimso 2 at a track from gran turismo 2
  • Interior Design - take a shot of the interior of a car
  • Bottom Dollar - use any car that you can purchase for 10,000 credits or less
  • Hot for You - take a photo using the warm filter
  • RUF 'n Ready - take an action shot of any RUF
  • Poser - show off your car posed at a nice location
  • Eat My Dust - take a shot of a car in the dust from the car ahead
  • The French Connection - take a shot of a french car at an american location
  • Playing the Blues - photograph any car that is painted blue
  • Born in the USA - photograph any american car at a non-american location
  • Tunnel Vision - take a picture of any car inside a tunnel
  • Mod Nation - modify your car, wheels, aero, wings, paint etc, and take it for a run
  • Bokeh! - drop that f-number and take the best bokeh photo you can
  • Reflect on Life - take a shot that highlights the reflections on a car
  • Perfect Curve - take a close up shot that details a cars curves
  • Chromium - like it shiny? take a photo of any chrome part or chrome painted car
  • Golden Light - take a photo including the sun
  • Here's my Number so don't Quote that Song - take a photo of any car with your own driver number on
  • Dabb of Oppo - photograph a car grabbing some opposite lock
  • Master of Mode 1 - take a photograph using panning mode 1
  • NASCAR Yawl! - simple - photograph a NASCAR
  • Green with Envy - take a super/hyper car, paint it green and make us green with envy
  • Monotonous - use the monochrome or extreme monochrome filter to capture your subject
  • Tree Viper - paint any viper green and show it off
  • Matte Attack - take a photograph of a car with a matte colour
  • Purple Haze - capture a car in the mist using the magenta cross-processing filter
  • Minimalist - take a minimalist approach to your GT6 photography
  • Chameleon - take a photo of a car blending into the environment
LINKS

PMC Tournament - Season One

Qualifying Poll
Round One Poll
Round Two Poll
Semi-Final Poll
Grand Final Poll

2.0 Advanced Tournament - Season One

Qualifying Poll
Round One Poll
Round Two Poll
Semi-Final Poll
Grand Final Poll

PMC Tournament - Season Two

Qualifying Poll
Round One Poll
Round Two Poll
Round Three Poll
Semi-Final Poll
Grand Final Poll

2.0 Advanced Tournament - Season Two

Qualifying Poll
Round One Poll
Round Two Poll
Semi-Final Poll
Grand Final Poll

Last edited:
Hey Photomoders, I'm pleased to announce the Photomode Tournament will make a return from it's GT4 & GT5 predecessors.
I'm hoping to get the Season 1 PMC tournament underway within two weeks from now. The 2.0 tournament will commence after the conclusion of the PMC.

What's the Photomode Tournament you ask?

To put it short the Tournament is competition based on a knock-out system. It starts with a Qualifying Round, where the best 16 or 32 (depending on how many enter) get chosen by popular vote to dispute the big match games. Tournaments have the duration of 1 to 2 months and only appear from time to time, much like a seasonal event.

The first week or the Qualifier week starts off with an open theme so everyone can enter.
After the week ends every entry submitted goes into a multiple choice poll and the 16 or 32 most voted entries will enter the next rounds. Remember, this will be multiple vote polls, meaning you can vote for more than one entry.

What happens in the next rounds? Well, the knock out part begins. The contestants are paired up and given a theme in which they must face off. The matches are randomly generated with random themes and goes from there.
Focusing on one match only, both contestants have to submit one and only one entry according to the theme and the image which wins the most votes get's through to the following round. The contestant that loses the match will get eliminated from the tournament.
Eventually it will be down to the final two who will battle it out for the gold medal.

The tournament will share some common rules with some competitions, but, and perhaps the most important one is that all entries are to be kept anonymous throughout the tournament.
Entries must be submitted through Private Conversation to me (the host) until the stipulated deadline and should not contain any form of identification (signatures). In addition all images must not be (or have been) posted anywhere else on GTPlanet until after the poll in which they feature has closed. All this is to avoid any favouritism that may arise.

For this reason it is also requested that Flickr users set their tournament images to private.
The quickest and easiest method of sending a private Flickr image is to use the share link icon, say yes to the 'This is a private photo, do you still want to share it?' question and copy/paste the link. That will give me a guest pass to the photo in your photostream where I can view and download the original size image which is all I need.

In the editing department both PMC and 2.0 will have they're representation.
As was the case with the final two GT5 tournaments separate tournaments will be run for PMC and 2.0, with the PMC tournament first followed by the 2.0 tournament so that you may enter both tournaments if you wish.

About prizes, as GT6 doesn't support in-game gifting, that avenue is out of the question until or if it gets included via update (I wouldn't hold my breath at this stage though). Beyond that there will be Hall of Fame representation for Gold, Silver and Bronze and the winner's images will be used in the next season's banners.

Last, but not least, I want to ask to all Photomoders to submit themes that you think it would be good to have in the tournament.
It's your opportunity to see a theme of yours in action. :)

Theme:
Explanation:
Cars:
Locations:
Unique Restritions:

Themes may be used in either the PMC or 2.0 tournaments.

Also, feel free to give any suggestion you may have.

:cheers:
Nato

Last edited:
I'll throw in a theme to get us started.
Taking direct inspiration from Giulietta's current FAB 1 (Pink Car) Secret Santa theme - which disconcertingly I've been enjoying a little too much shooting for. :P

Theme: Pink my Ride
Explanation: We've all heard of Pimp my Ride now it's time to Pink it. Take any car, paint in any shade of pink and show it off at any location, photo mode or photo travel. Feel free to pimp it while you're at it. ;) Go on, I dare ya!
Cars: Any
Locations: Any
Unique Restrictions: Car must be pink... multiple cars allowed if they are all pink.

Last edited:
Theme: Portrait
Explanation: The classic portrait lens has long been the 35mm f/1.4. Create a masterpiece using this balanced prime lens.
Locations: Phototravel
Unique Restrictions: The camera settings must be 35mm f/1.4

Last edited:
Awesome, Nate! :cheers:

Theme: Oh Rally?
Explanation: A segment of racing quite ignored by GT but a great opportunity to take some photos. Take any rally car into the dirt or snow and let loose!
Cars: Rally cars only, to include the Evo X Rally Car created by PD
Locations: Dirt and snow tracks only
Unique Restritions: Car(s) must be on motion, all cars in multi car shots must be rally cars

This is really exciting, I can't wait for to get involved! I haven't been around photomode for long so I certainly don't expect to win, but this will be a great opportunity to see how my quality of work stacks up with my peers and I'm really looking forward to it :D

Theme: Not So Standard
Explanation: Contestants will display their skill and creativity by taking a picture realistic enough to hide the fact that it's really a standard car.
Cars: Any standard car or cars
Unique Restrictions: Image must feature 1 or more standard cars, no premiums.

Nice to see that this is returning soon. I remember I was looking at the previous year's PMC/2.0 tournaments, and I was highly impressed with the photos.

Theme: "Horse(s) with no Name"

Explanation: Ride the legendary strong and wild Mustang Horse around the desert… you will do it?

Cars: Mustang Boss 302, Mustang Shelby GT500, Mustang GT Premium, Mustang Mach 1, Mustang Shelby GT350, Mustang SVT Cobra

Unique Restritions:above

Theme:World War III
Explanation:Take classic battles and put them in car form. Britain vs France or Germany, US vs Japan, etc.
Cars:Any two from two classic rivals.
Locations: One relevant to your "home team".
Unique Restrictions:Can't use phototravel. Grab a friend! (Or an AI if you're like me.)

Theme: Doggin' It or Marking your Territory
Explanation: In celebration of our wonderful new physics engine, take a picture of a hot hatch raising a leg in disrespect.
Cars: Any FWD
Locations: Photomode Only
Unique Restritions: The inside rear tire must be airborne, the others not.

run05_ssc_lifting.jpg

Last edited:
Theme: El Classico
Explanation: Take your favourite pre-1980 rides to Madrid and get some stunning shots of classic cars, near some classic architecture
Cars: Any Pre-1980
Locations: Photomode only
Unique restrictions: Must be with a building or monument in background

Theme: Inner Beauty
Explanation: My wife (Tonille) makes fun of my favorite cars because they are ugly. But so many of the cars I love I love for what's underneath (please don't read this as a simile of my marriage - her beauty is definitely on the outside too). Take a picture of your favorite ugly car, showcasing the thing that makes it beautiful to you. Ex: The schwimmwagon...playing in the rain.
Cars: Ugly is in the eye of the beholder...
Unique Restrictions: There probably shouldn't be any Aston Martins here.

Theme: Scooby Style
Explanation: Your car must be 4WD and be painted WR Blue.
Cars: Anything 4WD
Locations: Anywhere, although I encourage offroad ;)
Unique Restrictions: Again, the car must be 4WD and WR Blue.

As Nato stated "to avoid any favouritism" and to ensure votes are cast for the images and not the entrants, I would suggest that the "knock out rounds" following the qualifying round also remain anonymous as to entrant identity by requirement of private image settings and exclusion of contestants from voting in their competition pairings.

Additionally, possibly an option for contestants to concede a competition prior to voting conclusion where voting numbers indicate an insurmountable lead.

;)

As Nato stated "to avoid any favouritism" and to ensure votes are cast for the images and not the entrants, I would suggest that the "knock out rounds" following the qualifying round also remain anonymous as to entrant identity by requirement of private image settings and exclusion of contestants from voting in their competition pairings.

Additionally, possibly an option for contestants to concede a competition prior to voting conclusion where voting numbers indicate an insurmountable lead.

;)

I agree, there have been times in the past where a name has passed rather than an image - although maybe not as clear cut as one would think. The issue seems to be more exaggerated in the 2.0 where editing styles make it much easier to tell who created an image. Where I have been stung was multiple accounts. I don't understand why people feel the need, but it has happened more than once before - people creating multiple accounts so they can fix the voting. I would just like to say to anyone doing this 'You a sad strange little man, and you have my pity'

@youtimestwo & @tonilleshusband I'm happy to keep things anonymous throughout the tournament if that's the general consensus. In which case during the round matches where it is X vs Y the order of the images for each match would be random. As mentioned you can often tell whose an entry is just by it's 'style' especially when it's either one of two peoples image, but it's still quite fun to guess. :)
I can't see any problem with not allowing the contestants to vote in their own match, it wouldn't change the outcome any as in previous tournaments the contestants votes effectively cancelled each others out and if one voted an not the other the vote was ignored.
Don't really see much point in conceding however, it wouldn't change the voting deadline and votes would still be able to be cast.
Multiple account voting has been an issue in the past and I'm always on the lookout for it - especially during tournaments. I don't have a banhammer but I know those that do so beware the multi-account voter. ;)

Happy to hear other thoughts on this - and more themes. ;)

Thanks for all the input so far. :cheers:

Theme: "An American in London"

Explanation: Shoot any American non-race car in London.

Cars: Any from U.S. (non-race)

Locations: London U.K.

Unique Restrictions: non-race cars only.

E.Z. :P

(warewolf optional)

Last edited:
Theme: The Portrait Landscape

Description: Take your best shot of a beautiful landscape/scenery in GT6 but shoot it in portrait orientation.

Cars: Any or none

Unique Restrictions: Must be a portrait photo and focus on the scenery/landscape. i.e. if there is a car or cars in the shot they must not be the hero. ;)

If we go anonymous throughout the tournament I will have to insist that all Flickr users must set their entries to private. As the majority of photomoders use Flickr and many follow each other any public images will be seen by many and the identities will quickly be known. I don't see Photobucket and Imageshack being so much of a problem as the user base here is very small, but it would still be a good idea to set images there to private too - although I don't know how to share a private image from either of those services.

With the tournament (and Secret Santa for that matter) you don't have to supply a preview image as all images for the polls will be uploaded to my own Flickr account and hosted (privately) from there, where the preview image will then be generated. So you may just send the fullsize image or just a link to it instead, which incidently is the only way to send a private Flickr image so the recipient can view it. For anyone that doesn't know how, read on... ;)

To send a fullsize private Flickr image as BBCode just use the share button and 'Grab the HTML/BBCode' as usual but instead of the 'Medium 500px' size option choose the 'Original' size option instead. Copy and paste the entire BBCode and I'll be able to view it.
Screenshot from 2014-03-13 22:49:28.png

To send just the link use the 'Grab the Link' option instead and select 'Add a Guest Pass'. Copy and paste the resulting link and you're good to go.
Screenshot from 2014-03-13 22:50:54.png

Hi all, I'll be starting the PMC Qualifying thread today sometime.

Still could use more themes for the rounds if anyone has more ideas to submit. ;)

:cheers:

ok new theme...

Theme: Two car shots / phototravel

The forum thread for this theme is very popular and impressive!

Description:
Locations:
Unique Restrictions: ...all self explanatory ;)

Theme: Illuminant
Explanation: Since without light there is no photography, take a picture of any source(es) of light within the game.
Cars: Any or none
Unique Restrictions: One or multiple source(es) of light ought to be in focus – natural or artificial.

Last edited:
Theme: Dirty Vibe
Explanation: Get your car of choice covered in dirt and dust, and show that dirty girl off.
Locations: Any Road Track
Unique Restritions: No Rally tracks. Use the dirt of any Road Track instead.

Theme: Can't Kill Us
Explanation: You may be down and out after a huge wreck, but keep it going.
Unique Restritions: Car must be heavily damaged and shown rejoining the track.

Theme: Fire Away
Explanation: The launch, the peel out, that moment of escape from the starting line.
Unique Restritions: Must show the car leaving/launching from the starting line.

Theme: Java Clouds
Explanation: Let the sky(box) take you on a trip.
Unique Restritions: Main focus must be the Skybox, but with a car in as well.

Theme: Jaguar Trap
Explanation: Let the Jaguar stalk it's BMW, Mercedes, or Audi prey.
Cars: Any Jaguar
Unique Restritions: Only can include the brands above, but the main focus must be the Jaguar.

Theme: Moon Song
Explanation: Find the best lighting you can and show off your car with GT6's night sky.
Locations: Any with stars
Unique Restritions: Must include car, and starry sky.

@Raphaele Haven't put together a schedule yet. Last GT5 Tournament I did as we had a very tight window in which to get it done before the release of GT6. While we don't have the time constraints we had then we still want to keep it fairly snappy as we do have the 2.0 Tourney to follow and we don't want to drag the whole process out too long.
For the Qualifying Round I've given it a week for entry submitting and the poll will be 5 days. For the Rounds I'll shorten that a bit - probably 4-5 days for submitting and 3-4 days for polls.
Keen to hear anyone's thoughts on that - pros and cons - would 4 days to submit an entry be too short for instance.

Latest Posts

Back