The GT7 Livery Editor Competition #08 (Dead Brand Rising) - CLOSED

• Thread starter Nuschel01
  • 135 comments
HP kept the brand alive here in Brazil. They sell budget laptops under it.

(I'm not saying this makes your entry invalid, I'm posting this just as a trivia :)).

EDIT: just saw it:

I know Compaq is still in existence in some form in South America but I believe it is now a new company in a completely different guise to the old, and the old hardware giant is officially dead. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Last edited:
HP kept the brand alive here in Brazil. They sell budget laptops under it.

(I'm not saying this makes your entry invalid, I'm posting this just as a trivia :)).

EDIT: just saw it:
Yep, I think it's now a trading name brand but not a company anymore, and with an extremely limited market. I may be wrong, but the research I did points to this. It's quite mad that a tech giant can shift form so much, from a multi-national market-leader to a budget brand within a geographically limited market. I think HP bought the brand rights when Compaq folded.

FINAL ENTRY

PS5 Framerate

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
Been busy all week and almost forgot to post this. For a while I was thinking about doing a Pan Am car, but I couldn’t really figure out what car to use and how to make it look. Seeing the lovely Alpine that 996rick made helped me decide. I would do a take of the livery on a modern car. I was thinking about cars that kind’a resembled airplanes and realized I hadn’t tried out the GR010 yet.

Initially I just started with using the design of the airplanes as a base. I found an artist's take on a more modern Pan Am plane and liked the blue fade design on the vertical fin. I wasn’t happy with how empty the front looked so I played around with different stripes and patterns I could include. I landed on a light blue marble fade and added it to other leading edges across the car. I feel like it gives it a dynamic look as if it’s always moving forward.

Thanks for taking a look. You can enjoy this livery here.

FINAL ENTRY

ps4 base
Largely forgotten now, up until about 10 years ago your credit card transactions were probably processed on Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) computers, despite the company disappearing in the 90’s. Started with Venture capital in the 50’s (creating the model for IT startups), by the 80’s they were 2nd only to IBM, turnover in the billions of dollars, unable to see that their decline had already begun. There’s a photo in this potted history which I took the colour scheme from, they used to have 2 colour bars running across the front of their equipment.

They might have saved themselves; most of the 80’s computer whiz’s were inspired by DEC, according to this source they could have been Google, and their last R&D project (before they got swallowed partly by Intel, then by Compaq (the acquisition which ruined Compaq!)) led to the first hard drive MP3 player, 2 years before the iPod, so they could have been Apple (if they’d hired Jony Ive :))

My livery imagines that DEC swerved their first great mis-step, and went all in on a RISC design in the 80’s, releasing their Alpha 64 bit processer in consumer products, and advertising on an IMSA car of the era. I was dismayed at the lack of American metal from the period in GT7, the C4 is the only representative from 1978-2002, then I widened it and perked up considerably :) I tried to make the car look stretched and give it a touch of the square wide body look from the 80s (Integrale, Starion etc.), put a symbolic crack appearing on the front wing, and the hexagon was briefly a design cue for DEC, their early computers had hexagonal CRT displays. I spent way too long getting the Alpha cat logo leaping on the pop up headlights, it’s such a pain you have to exit the editor to see moving parts, respect @Sian on the Pantera :)

Same as Netflix, once a world wide distribution of movies.by mail, now a Scandinavian movie distribution online store.
I never heard of Netflix before it became a streaming service. And isn't that still exactly what it is??

Last edited:
I spent way too long getting the Alpha cat logo leaping on the pop up headlights, it’s such a pain you have to exit the editor to see moving parts, respect @Sian on the Pantera :)
Thanks mate, yes it was such a pain to try something, save, exit, go to photo mode, see it's not good, come back to the livery editor, try again, and so on, 5 or 6 times for me...

I wish they could change it in an update but I guess I'm dreaming too much...

It's a shame you didn't take a picture with the lights on, I would have liked to see it, but I will download your livery, I like it (you had one of my votes). :)

I never heard of Netflix before it became a streaming service. And isn't that still exactly what it is??
Netflix started as a mail only DVD rental service. This was long enough ago that that service was considered revolutionary at the time.

I remember renting DVDs thru them, burning them and adding them to my digital movie collection.

**** I’m old.

Netflix started as a mail only DVD rental service. This was long enough ago that that service was considered revolutionary at the time.

I remember renting DVDs thru them, burning them and adding them to my digital movie collection.

**** I’m old.
Mind blown! Never knew that! Maybe that's from growing up in South Africa and New Zealand where Netflix never reached until it became the giant it is now.

Back