The GTP Unofficial 2020 US Elections Thread

GTPlanet Exit Poll - Which Presidential Ticket Did You Vote For?

• Trump/Pence

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Biden/Harris

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Jorgensen/Cohen

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Hawkins/Walker

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • La Riva/Freeman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • De La Fuente/Richardson

• Blankenship/Mohr

• Carroll/Patel

• Simmons/Roze

• Charles/Wallace

• Other

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Language warning. I can't cite any specific inappropriate language, but given the subject matter, a blanket warning is likely necessary.

Last edited:
What I don’t quite get regarding the Capitol Riot.

Police are happy to chase down unarmed people and kill them with impunity (most of the time) yet, faced with that torrent of hillbilly’s at one of the most sacred places of US Government they were just holding them back and not opening fire.

I’m not advocating the killing of hundreds or thousands of people who were there, but the juxtaposition of both scenarios is quite something.

Also how can the guards/police not know how to handle their own shields etc?

Also how can the guards/police not know how to handle their own shields etc?
I would hazard a guess that their knowledge of riot control is all training scenarios and little or no practical experience.

I would hazard a guess that their knowledge of riot control is all training scenarios and little or no practical experience.
I get that actual experience of something like this ever happening was seen as something that would never happen.

However these men and women have had hours of training using firearms and yet can’t handle something as simple as a plexiglass sheet with handles?

Also I take nothing away from them standing their ground and that must have taken testis of steel to do so, but for guards protecting the government buildings, who eventually failed in their job as the rioters got inside, they seemed ill equipped training wise to handle that, heck they had a bottleneck to hold them in.

I just find it fascinating, maybe I just expected higher training etc. for those doing such an important job. Maybe my expectations are just way too high and the men and women doing that job at that time did the best they could given the insanity.

Last edited:
I get that actual experience of something like this ever happening was seen as something that would never happen.

However these men and women have had hours of training using firearms and yet can’t handle something as simple as a plexiglass sheet with handles?

Also I take nothing away from them standing their ground and that must have taken testis of steel to do so, but for guards protecting the government buildings, who eventually failed in their job as the rioters got inside, they seemed ill equipped training wise to handle that, heck they had a bottleneck to hold them in.

I just find it fascinating, maybe I just expected higher training etc. for those doing such an important job. Maybe my expectations are just way too high and the men and women doing that job at that time did the best they could given the insanity.
I don't understand where the tear gas was. We had tear gas to clear the streets that Trump walked through to get a photo op with a bible. We couldn't find it to defend the capitol building?

Last edited:
I don't understand where the tear gas was.
I saw one spray into the crowd but not as much as I'd expect.

Non lethal measures off all sorts could have been used. Don't the military have access to things ADS? why doesn't the Capitol have these types of systems fitted for such occasions? I'm sure they could disguise them so they don't stand out and make the place look like a military stronghold.

Last edited:
Jordan Fischer and emptywheel are covering the case.

Last edited:
Even given the damage they did to US democracy, the 6th Jan idiots are still a source of 'what the actual....'

This one represented himself and ended up confessing to two brand-new charges.

Did anyone read him his Miranda Rights or did he decide "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing"?

Did anyone read him his Miranda Rights or did he decide "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing"?
...or did he decide "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing"?

I suspect that's the general M.O. of the majority of the "tourists" at the Capitol on January 6th.

Not to mention, invermectin spearing anti-vaxers.

Spider Man Lol GIF

Just read about this and watched it. He paints the picture I'm afraid of for quite some time now.

Yeah I watched it last week. He was right about Trump not leaving when he lost the 2020 election and I hope he's not right about this. But sadly it appears more and more each day that he's going to be right about this too.

The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol plans to refer former Trump White House strategist Stephen Bannon to the Justice Department for criminal prosecution after he refused to appear for a slated deposition.

Bannon informed the committee last week that he would refuse to comply with the subpoena, citing a yet-to-be-filed suit from former President Trump claiming documents and testimony sought by the committee are covered by executive privilege.

The law allows for Congress to refer a noncompliant witness to the Justice Department for criminal prosecution, which could result in jail time, a fine or both.

“Mr. Bannon has declined to cooperate with the Select Committee and is instead hiding behind the former President’s insufficient, blanket, and vague statements regarding privileges he has purported to invoke. We reject his position entirely. The Select Committee will not tolerate defiance of our subpoenas, so we must move forward with proceedings to refer Mr. Bannon for criminal contempt. I’ve notified the Select Committee that we will convene for a business meeting Tuesday evening to vote on adopting a contempt report,” Chair Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) said in a statement.

“The Select Committee will use every tool at its disposal to get the information it seeks, and witnesses who try to stonewall the Select Committee will not succeed.”

Following a vote from the House, a referral would put the ball in the Justice Department's court, requiring the executive branch to determine how aggressive it wants to be in pursuing Bannon.

The decision to act would likely be made by the U.S. attorney’s office in Washington, D.C., and lawyers at the highest levels of the main Justice Department.

Lawyers would need to determine if there’s probable cause — a likely determination given that experts say Bannon's and Trump's executive privilege claims have little merit — and whether the case can be proved in court. The department could take into consideration the gravity of the situation, in that officials would be charging an aide to a former president of the opposite party.

Bannon and his attorney did not immediately respond to request for comment, nor did the Department of Justice.

Lawmakers on the committee have been increasingly vocal in recent days that there should be criminal repercussions for defying the committee.

“We are completely of one mind that if people refuse to respond to questions without justification that we will hold them in criminal contempt and refer them to the Justice Department,” Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) told The Washington Post earlier this week.

“We intend to enforce our subpoenas, and the first step will be for us to pursue criminal contempt,” Rep. Stephanie Murphy (D-Fla.) said during an appearance on MSNBC.

“What that means is that the committee will put together a report and refer it to the House floor. There will be a vote, then it goes to the Department of Justice. I fully expect this Department of Justice to uphold and enforce that subpoena. I think this Department of Justice believes that nobody is above the law.”

Bannon was subpoenaed by the committee along with three other Trump aides. Former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows and Kashyap Patel, the chief of staff to then-acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller, are reportedly “engaging” with the committee, while Dan Scavino, Trump’s deputy chief of staff for communications, was only recently able to be located and served.

“We’re grateful to the many individuals who are voluntarily participating and to witnesses who are complying with subpoenas, including several who met the deadline to begin producing materials to the Select Committee,” Thompson added in his statement.

Experts have been highly skeptical that Trump’s executive privilege claims will carry much weight with the Justice Department as they debate whether to file criminal charges on Bannon.

“First of all, the executive privilege applies to a sitting president, not former presidents, because the focus is on the national security interests of the country. It's a very limited doctrinal privilege,” Rep. Jaime Raskin (D-Md.), one of the nine lawmakers on the committee, told reporters last month.

“In any event, even if the court were to weigh the public's overwhelming interest in getting at the truth of events, versus the interest in national security, in this case both factors are on the side of disclosure. The public has an interest in knowing everything about the attack on our democracy, and that truth-seeking function will improve national security. So national security argues for disclosure, not for secrecy.”

The Biden administration also recently agreed to waive executive privilege claims to a tranche of documents the committee already requested — a sweeping request covering a number of people in Trump’s orbit.

“This is just the first set of documents, and we will evaluate claims of privilege on a case-by-case basis, but the president has also been clear he believes it to be of the utmost importance for both Congress and the American people to have a complete understanding of the events of that day to prevent them from happening again,” White House press secretary Jen Psaki said when the first batch was approved last week.
Edit: 💣

Last edited:

You're probably thinking it's weird that this guy would think someone who was protesting peacefully would need this sort of advice and I'm right there with you.

Last edited:
Yeah I watched it last week. He was right about Trump not leaving when he lost the 2020 election and I hope he's not right about this. But sadly it appears more and more each day that he's going to be right about this too.
Sadly, the best hope for avoiding a complete cluster**** in 2024 is that Trump is old. If he's... shall we say "unavailable"... for election in 2024, that doesn't solve the problem of the Republican party but it does solve the problem of them having an emotionally unstable fruit as their prime candidate. In that case there's an outside chance that the Republicans actually manage to pull a reasonable candidate who has an appreciation for the greater picture of running a major country.

Otherwise I'm not even sure if it gets all the way to the election itself before there are riots and functional civil war - the campaigns backing Trump have already shown their tactics, and they probably feel that their only failure was not going hard enough last time.

In one view, when Americans are organized and united in common purpose against an external enemy - and factories and shops are humming - the establishment will be maintained. IMHO, If Biden and the Democrats want to stay in power, the economy must be booming; they are off to a modest start with their measured appeal to populism. If pandemic, supply chain collapse, energy crisis and mega drought are solved, we have our winners now.

Sadly, the best hope for avoiding a complete cluster**** in 2024 is that Trump is old. If he's... shall we say "unavailable"... for election in 2024, that doesn't solve the problem of the Republican party but it does solve the problem of them having an emotionally unstable fruit as their prime candidate. In that case there's an outside chance that the Republicans actually manage to pull a reasonable candidate who has an appreciation for the greater picture of running a major country.
I don't see it. The GOP has gone so far down the Trumpist path there's no way back without alienating their base. Even if Trump doesn't run Trumpism will dominate the primaries, making it impossible for a "reasonable candidate" to win in the vast majority of Red districts.

I've been around a while, so I've seen an unending stream of crises come & go. This one seems different - the very notion of a shared identity & shared ideals - the notion of "truth" itself - has been tossed out the window. The planet, united by global trade & the internet, has - strangely - become more fractured than ever. ☹️

Last edited:
Republican party created the monster of Trumpism to the point that if they do not "support" his stolen 2020 election, he will intentionally torpedo the party's chances of winning in 2022 or 2024 due to his own narcissism.

Back