The GTPlanet Member Motorsports Spotlight Thread (Interview 05: RobbiefromBC)

Good to read stories about real racing. None of the namby pamby F1 techno stuff. Real cars with real racers. ;)

Keep it up guys, great and interesting work. 👍

Wow Mark, what a great background and family you come from. We don't really know each other, but by next season of Chump car I think we will be able to meet and race each other. I am excited about this.

It is great for our community to have both you @CoachMK21 and @EDK along with many others that do real racing. People like Ned, Robbie along with many others, I never thought in my time at GTP I would meet others and possibly have a chance to meet them in real life that race in similar series. There are many questions/advice/experience I want to learn and share, it would be great to finally get to meet each an everyone of us at some point.

Fantastic series so far, I most definitely enjoyed reading both of these.

I've got a minor problem with the following statement though:
They are here as site members, but also have a passion for real life motorsports and are racing in entry level or grassroots series all over the US and Canada.
I think it's fairly safe to say that there are club level racers from all across the world here on GTPlanet.

In fact... :sly:

Fantastic series so far, I most definitely enjoyed reading both of these.

I've got a minor problem with the following statement though:

I think it's fairly safe to say that there are club level racers from all across the world here on GTPlanet.

In fact... :sly:
Well, I wrote that based on the folks I race with and know.

But trust me that the next installment is going to come from someone on another continent.

Feel free to drop me a message to select members you know who race, or if you do so yourself and are interested in participating.

EDK
Feel free to drop me a message to select members you know who race, or if you do so yourself and are interested in participating.
Honestly, I was thinking about it, but then decided against because due to various reasons from lack of time to the issues with my current racing equipment trying its best to obstruct the racing part of motorsport, it's quite difficult to say if I'll be able to take part in any motorsport event this or even next year.

Ayy @EDK I race an MR2 also :cheers: They sure are a handful :lol:

I enjoyed reading @Nismonath5 article also. Didn't expect to come to this site and read about a fellow kiwi. I sure would love to drive one of those tr86's, it must of been awesome and massively intimidating

I enjoyed reading @Nismonath5 article also. Didn't expect to come to this site and read about a fellow kiwi. I sure would love to drive one of those tr86's, it must of been awesome and massively intimidating
Hey hey fellow kiwi :P
It was certainly a bit nerve racking, an awesome experience and real learning curve. Luckily didnt put a mark on the car! :D

edit
As you guys may have picked up on the article, the details regarding LeMons aren't exactly under wraps anymore! We're entering a VN Commodore V6 ex-rally car, in a tag team with dad and a couple of others. Thinking of making a thread about the developments of the weekend as they happen, so watch this space!

Last edited:
@RobbiefromBC congratulations on a solid interview and on your racing success. Having raced 100cc karts at a fairly high level I concur with your thoughts that the seat of your pants feeling you get from racing really doesn't translate well to sim racing. I've always thought though that sim racing would help a real racer the most in limited grip situations, like rain or snow, because it most closely simulates the feel of the sim wheel and the tendency of many sims to have a hard time getting that transition from grip to slip and back accurately translated. Sometime racing in sims feels like racing on ice or wet tarmac! Do you think being 10 seconds faster in the rain was in any way influenced directly by your sim racing experience?

@RobbiefromBC congratulations on a solid interview and on your racing success. Having raced 100cc karts at a fairly high level I concur with your thoughts that the seat of your pants feeling you get from racing really doesn't translate well to sim racing. I've always thought though that sim racing would help a real racer the most in limited grip situations, like rain or snow, because it most closely simulates the feel of the sim wheel and the tendency of many sims to have a hard time getting that transition from grip to slip and back accurately translated. Sometime racing in sims feels like racing on ice or wet tarmac! Do you think being 10 seconds faster in the rain was in any way influenced directly by your sim racing experience?

Thanks @Johnnypenso, and thanks a million to @EDK! It's super cool to have my story shared with the GTPlanet community!

As for your question, I do believe that sim racing has helped develop my skills in wet weather and slippery conditions. Because the game cannot translate the feeling of sliding or regaining grip, you have to look at visual clues and determine what is happening that way. Unfortunately by the time you see that the mood of the car is changing it's very difficult to respond to what is happening fast enough. This means that you have to work on being a fast thinking, fast reacting driver in order to stay on track. So now when I strap in a car in real life, I regain my seat of the pants feel, but I also take the sharpness and quick response times I've learned from sim racing and blend the two together. It's just that split second of delay that means so much in the rain or snow, or whatever situation you may be in. That, and having the bigger cohjones than your competitors ;)

@RobbiefromBC
@EDK

Wow, glad I decided to check in today, that was a good read.. Of course I already knew about that dominant race meeting in Washington, and most of the open wheel action at Mission the past couple seasons, but it was cool to revisit all that presented like a mini biography of sorts.. Kevin's been doing a good job with this series.. Thanks for including me on your "people to meet" list.. If I survive 2018, I'll take a road trip up north.. I got folks to see in Portland, so not far to go from there.. You do need to meet your two Canadian neighbors Steve and Mike, both among the best I've met here..

Cheers..:cheers:

@RobbiefromBC

I'm from BC myself, but Mission has always been a bit of a drive from where I live, so I've never actually gotten to drive around it. I didn't think a racing hobby/career can really manifest in a place like BC since I've always felt that we're a bit short on the motor sport scene, but reading this has given me new hope. I hope that once time permits, I'll be able to join the SCCBC.

Latest Posts

Back