The "I can't believe they raced it!" Thread.

• Thread starter adam46
  • 688 comments
Lamborghini LM002 @ 1996 Granada-Dakar Rally

1987_Lamborghini_LM002_Grenada_Dakar_For_Sale_Rallye_0_resize.jpg

1987_Lamborghini_LM002_Grenada_Dakar_For_Sale_Dust_0_resize.jpg
1995-lamborghini-lm002-paris-dakar.jpg
lm002_dakar_14.jpg

Was it 5 MPG?

tumblr_inline_nh1hltnNnh1r9w8vx.png

It would be awesome if someone made a Baja/Dakar version of the
car, but with todays parts and bits, in photoshop.
I think YasidDesign would do a marvelous job at it.

Now, UK Time Attack is a series that invites cars of all shapes and sizes to suit all budgets, so I've seen some variety in my time. What I didn't expect to see today was, well, a Vauxhall Astra van...

IMG_20160709_180312075.jpg
IMG_20160709_180300463.jpg

Odd vehicle choice aside, it actually had some decent pace from the word go. Its fastest time of the day was a 1:40, which isn't far off fully race-prepped Clio Cup cars.

George Waltman Daytona Legend by Louis Galanos, on Flickr

Well, a Morgan Plus 4 isn't exactly an unbelievable car, but one that was probably about 15-20 years behind the times when it was raced by George S. Waltman at the 1968 24 Hours of Daytona. Mind you, it wasn't just raced by Waltman...it was actually driven from his home in Great Neck, New York to Daytona Beach, sans trailer. And naturally, he had no pit crew; thus, the vehicle was entirely repaired and refueled by George.

He finished 30th overall, 335 laps down to the Porsche 907LH driven by luminaries such as Vic Elford, Jochen Neerpasch, Rolf Stommelen, Jo Siffert, and Hans Herrmann. Maybe he would have finished a little higher, had the rules not stipulated that he had to sit out one hour for every four that he'd driven.

After the race, he'd changed the oil, changed his clothes, and headed on back to Great Neck. Don't laugh...we've all had this dream before, but George Waltman lived it out.

Bo
Now, UK Time Attack is a series that invites cars of all shapes and sizes to suit all budgets, so I've seen some variety in my time. What I didn't expect to see today was, well, a Vauxhall Astra van...

View attachment 566807 View attachment 566808

Odd vehicle choice aside, it actually had some decent pace from the word go. Its fastest time of the day was a 1:40, which isn't far off fully race-prepped Clio Cup cars.

Anyone who's spent any time on Britain's motorway network won't be surprised by this at all. It doesn't matter how quickly you dare go, there will always be an Astra van that will want to be going quicker. Fact.

Roo
I found out today there's a Rav4 rally car.

20160826_RAV4_Rally_NEFR_1_F65B210CA6E24BCF8CC8580F96F7350EB213A072(1).jpg
I find that pretty cool, to be honest. Toyotas have always been good on the road, and off-road. Best of both worlds!

And they can do 14 second quarter miles...A few people have gone 0-60 in abiut 5-6 seconds in RAV4s as well.

I've just looked at the RAV4's results...

It's been finishing 1st and 2nd in class in its rallies so far! (and one unexplained DNF)
Screenshot_20160826-203849.png

Back