The "I can't believe they raced it!" Thread.

• Thread starter adam46
  • 687 comments
BRM P15, with a V16 home-made engine 1.5 liters and 485ch (best result, 5th at UK 1951)

peter-walker-in-a-brm-p15-v16-finished-7th-in-british-gp-silverstone-picture-id567807055
brm_p15_1.jpeg

This car has such an amazing sound:

BRM also developed a 16 cylinder engine in a H-pattern (H16). It was adopted by the BRM P63 and the Lotus 43 F1 car in 1966, and won one race with it (being the only 16-cylinder F1 car to do so):

(Engine revs at 5:22)

Sadly, both 16-cylinder engines suffered from the same problems, primarily being complexity and lack of reliability :indiff:

I thought I keep this going :)

546cc213b469d_-_dakarsmart-lg.jpg

01-smart-dakar.jpg

Smart Feber Rally Car. Meant for the Dakar Rally in 2013 but never entered due to the team running out of funds. But you can pick it up for $90k if you want to do it instead :sly: ...

Also here on the GT car suggestions forum

View attachment 527450

How many of you would've ever expected THIS to have happened? I sure didn't and surprisingly, I don't even remember it. And the crazier part? This raced before the itasha cars you see in Super GT (Goodsmile Racing for instance). Just let this sink in..

Can't blame 'em, interest for all those brands was at a high. Though there could be a way to do a better job...

Sponsor money will make you do anything...
04ClementsButtPaste.jpg

Indeed...

100_5376.jpg

Cartoon network had sponsorship on many NASCARS in the late 90's .

This one of the PowerPuff Girls is my favourite (hopefully there isn't a 2016 version :ill:)

And if you think it couldn't sink any further...

2961333-blackops.jpg

Call of duty. They've been sponsoring cars since 2008 (World at War)

Roo
OK, so it's not actually raced yet, and it remains to be seen if the series gets off the ground, but the one-make Electric GT championship revealed its spec Tesla today.

Tesla-Model-S-EGT2-696x426.jpg

Tesla-Model-S-EGT1-679x509.jpg
Reminds me of something I built in GT6

What is this from? For research
Street fighter x tekken, basically, if you fought with her and won a round, she will pose like that and say "wow, that was quick" :lol:. But obviously, it works for a "I see what you did there" moment :sly: (There's also a Poison Ivy disssproval). Took it out from DeviantArt and answer him with it because I knew he was reffering to the issues Pirelli was suffering (and I think they still are) with the F1 tyres (basically why they were blowing up in races this year) :lol:

Anyway, continuing this thread... :lol::lol:
GRASCAR-_0002.jpg

1978 Dodge Magnum NASCAR.

View attachment 591392

Little to no manufacture support.

View attachment 591393

It won only two races.

Kyle Petty drove a rehashed Petty Magnum in the ARCA series and won a race in it, as the #42 car.

There's not much unbelievable about the Magnum. Part of the reason the production car was such a clone of the Buick Lesabre and had the fussy hidden headlights added was because it was rushed out to make it a better NASCAR performer than the hopeless rebadged Cordoba that the final Charger was. Teams hated that one so bad that they just kept using the 1974 car throughout 1977.

It just turned out that the Magnum ended up being worse anyway and Petty started driving Monte Carlos instead.

Last edited:
1970-1971 Chrysler Cuda. It was the euro version of the Plymouth Cuda and was raced across Europe.

This is the first I've seen of a Mopar this old overseas for racing purposes.

View attachment 595540
View attachment 595541
View attachment 595542
View attachment 595543
View attachment 595544
Probably did about as well as other muscle cars did in Europe. Blindingly quick on the straights, and then torn apart under braking and in the corners. Reminds me of Mini Cooper S 1275s utterly dominating against the Americans in Mustangs in the United Kingdom and certain other parts of Europe.

I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a Chrysler Barracuda, let alone that it raced.

I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a Chrysler Barracuda, let alone that it raced.
Plymouth doesn't exist outside of the USA and I believe Canada. So most Plymouths, Dodges, DeSotos, and Chryslers were all sold as 'Chrysler'. Though Australia did sell a few Dodges in the 1950s and 1960s, as extremely budget versions of assorted Chrysler models. They didn't sell well and were canned shortly after.

There also existed a Chrysler Valiant Barracuda in South Africa in the 1960s. The Perana-tuned one would outrun any American version barring the 426 Hemi one from 1969.

1989 Citroen BX Supertourisme

89db6e39260393c4a3c59bacc819bf79.jpg

supertourisme89-10.jpg

Looks somewhat unrecognisable without the partially covered rear wheels.

AX Superproduction

dscf4332_zps9481effb.jpg

Visa Lotus (ultimately, this one didn't race with two prototypes in existence - still weird that they made it in the first place right?)

visa_lotus_e03_03.jpg

Well, there is a reason why the Visa Lotus was made; Group B rallying. Citroën was evaluating possible ways to get into the category to challenge Renault, and they tried to use an Espirit Turbo base with a Visa body. But then the car was deemed too heavy and hard to control, and was ditched in favor of the BX 4TC... which never won a rally and was a colossal failure.

At least there is one Visa Lotus, which is nice. And you can see it at Citroën's personal museum in France, if you need a reason to go to Paris... :sly:

Almost as weird as the Xantia rallycross car:

I'd say that's even weirder, because in no way I'd expect a sedan like the Xantia to represent Citroën in rallying when they used 2-door cars far more often (ZX, Saxos and the like)... Judging by the Japanese narrator (who happens to be actor Toru Furuya of Gundam fame, no less), I'd say this is a Best Motoring video, which only makes it stranger.

And from what the comments say, that Xantia still used hydraulic suspension but ride height is adjusted with an external pump... Still wanting that classic comfort in dirt surfaces, eh France? :lol:

Back