The "I can't believe they raced it!" Thread.

• Thread starter adam46
  • 687 comments
Is it just me, or does that Morgan in the first pic look as if it has sponges in its ducts? :lol:

A crossover SUV - a Lexus RX at the 2005 24 Hours Nürburgring.

05Nurburgring24_jb_2072.jpg

An RX 400h in Breakwater Blue, no less. Also, it could have possibly been a factory-based effort; some of the sponsors go into the production of the street car (Bridgestone, Denso, Koito).

Gremiln! More details?

In the early years of IMSA, they were trying anything and everything made in America to get an advantage. I think the idea was that it shared the engines (or at least the drivetrain and the space for the engines) of the big boy AMC cars that were successful racers (and the earlier Gremlin was used to some success, I believe), so why not try the Pacer?

ZAZ 968 Zaporozhets (also known as Jalta) - a Soviet (Ukrainian) light car with a rear-mounted, air-cooled 40 hp engine.
They were raced in rally championships, not only in USSR, but also in some world events. :crazy:
5360c48s-960.jpg

2360c48s-960.jpg

b360c48s-960.jpg

c760c48s-960.jpg

What I can't believe is just how many photos are there on RacingSportsCars, they've probably got thousands and thousands. I know what I'll be doing this afternoon...

What I can't believe is just how many photos are there on RacingSportsCars, they've probably got thousands and thousands. I know what I'll be doing this afternoon...

I spent six or so months in cast not so long ago, fortunately I discovered that website about one week into that period of time, and it basically kept me occupied the entire time! :)

Dale Earnhardt flipped his car in the 1997 Daytona 500, and actually got out of the ambulance and drove it back to the pits for repairs as the car was being hooked up to be towed. He finished the race, albeit, quite a few laps down. The car:

0.jpg

This would be the nineteenth time he failed at winning The Great American Race. Finally, he won the race the next year, and this would prove to be the only time he would win the race. Earnhardt was killed in a last lap crash in the 2001 Daytona 500, with teammates finishing 1st and 2nd. The second place finisher? His son, Dale Earnhardt Jr, who would win the summer race the same year.

Last edited:
Wait, what? :odd: Bigotry much?

The Camry's more American than both the Chevy and Ford, anyway.

Wait, what? :odd: Bigotry much?

The Camry's more American than both the Chevy and Ford, anyway.

Better go git yer guurn, dem Japanese er a cumin'

:odd::rolleyes:👎

The Camry is still from Toyota, which is based in Japan. Technically, the Camry is Japanese. Yes, its made in America, like the Infiniti G35, but still comes from a parent company (Infiniti's parent company is Nissan) or from a subsidiary (Toyota's American division obviously is the branch of the Japanese division of Toyota).

The Chevy's Australian, and the Fusion's from the UK. The Dodges technically came from Germany, come to think of it.

What's your point?

It's not 1962 anymore... women are allowed to vote, african-americans are treated like the actual human beings they are, the cold war's over... It's called moving on and realising things change, evolve.

Yes, its 2013, nearly 2014. I'm just barely looking at the surface of car makers and their cars. These days, Chevy is American, and the Fusion is too. That's how accustomed I've became to the maker and model being here in the US, that's all.

And I do want to clear it up that I do know that the Fusion is from Ford, in case the first part of this post made it seem like I didn't.

The thought that a Japan-based car company would make it into an American racing series, especially NASCAR :yuck:.

Explain what the hell is wrong with that. Its ok for an American Car company to compete in a foreign series but not the other way around? Also, Breaking news: Jaguar and MG were there first.

Explain what the hell is wrong with that. Its ok for an American Car company to compete in a foreign series but not the other way around? Also, Breaking news: Jaguar and MG were there first.

The thing is that NASCAR started out as an American car manufacturer dominated sport. And I admittedly say that I lack using my open-minded opinion a lot. Editing my first post in this thread now.

The thing is that NASCAR started out as an American car manufacturer dominated sport. And I admittedly say that I lack using my open-minded opinion a lot. Editing my first post in this thread now.

but it hasn't always been either. You can claim Chevy or Ford are American about as much as you say America isn't China too.

but it hasn't always been either. You can claim Chevy or Ford are American about as much as you say America isn't China too.

I think we got the point across long ago.

Honda_RA302_left_Honda_Collection_Hall.jpg

Honda RA302. What's so unusual about it? The fact that it had a Magnesium monocoque. Magnesium is highly flammable. The car was rejected as a deathtrap by John Surtees so Honda had Jo Schlesser drive it at the 1968 French Grand Prix. Schlesser was killed on lap 2 after the car pitched into a grass bank and went up in a blaze.

What's even more unbelievable about this car is the fact that Honda then tried to convince Surtees to drive the car a few races later. He refused again and Honda ultimately pulled out of Formula one (as a manufacturer) for nigh on forty years.

Back