The "I can't believe they raced it!" Thread.

• Thread starter adam46
  • 687 comments
Roo
Top Gear Magazine once reported on rallying a Prius back in 2002.
Toyota UK still has that car in their heritage fleet:

1f83c64ad69211e19a9c22000a1e8b99_7.jpg

Sadly not had a go yet...

Honda RA302. What's so unusual about it? The fact that it had a Magnesium monocoque. Magnesium is highly flammable. The car was rejected as a deathtrap by John Surtees so Honda had Jo Schlesser drive it at the 1968 French Grand Prix. Schlesser was killed on lap 2 after the car pitched into a grass bank and went up in a blaze.

What's even more unbelievable about this car is the fact that Honda then tried to convince Surtees to drive the car a few races later. He refused again and Honda ultimately pulled out of Formula one (as a manufacturer) for nigh on forty years.
That would be an interesting car in the wet. Am I right in thinking Magnesium burns when in contact with water?

That would be an interesting car in the wet. Am I right in thinking Magnesium burns when in contact with water?
It reacts in water from what I can remember from school science, but if it was painted or galvanised in some way that wouldn't be an issue. Far bigger is the problem that if the car crashed and there was any hint of a flame the whole thing would go up like a fireworks display and burn at 3,000-odd degrees centigrade...

I don't think its ever pure magnesium when used as a structural material, it's generally a magnesium alloy. Only powdered or very very thin (large surface area?) magnesium is highly flammable, otherwise it's much harder to set alight. Once it is alight though....

If someone posted these already, sorry, but I'm at work and some pics don't show up :crazy:

24 hours!
2cv_racing_snetterton.jpg

Following up to the Pacer posted before:
1975-August9-Gremlin-IMSABFGoodrichRadialChallenge-Talladega.jpg

Also, on this year's Carrera Panamericana a couple of mexican guys built and raced this very well achieved replica of the Buick Centurion concept car from 1959 or so. I loved how the thing had people scratching their heads as to what the hecking heck it was. Ran hard too, 550 hp small block, tube chassis, the usual Panamericana stuff:
CARRERA-PANAMERICANA-2013-La-Batmobile-de-Seman-une-Buick-Centurion-600x399.jpg

Panamericana_2013_042.jpg

The fact I didn't know about this car may shock some people, some may also be shocked by the car.

MG6 BTCC Edition
41D29458D5756045F4A071457C452D_h450_w598_m2_q90_cLnenxDTG.jpg

Made in China for the UK/Euro market and derived from the Roewe 550 (which is based on the Rover 75 platform)

I knew the Chinese have made many cars derived from previous 'Big Brand' models, including Rover/MG.
However I didn't know they were even selling this in the UK let alone racing it in the BTCC.

@Jay. They started selling it in June 2011, with the diesel engine coming at the end of last year.

The BTCC car made its debut last season, with Jason Plato and Andy Neate. That car makes a nice, grunty sound.

Superstars is a great series, although it's in deep trouble next season.

Iirc the Panamera was very competitive, especially in the hands of Fabrizio Giovanardi. Though I don't think it ever even did a full season.

This season was somewhat compromised by the ineffective balance of performance used on the AWD Audi's.

@Jay. They started selling it in June 2011, with the diesel engine coming at the end of last year.

The BTCC car made its debut last season, with Jason Plato and Andy Neate. That car makes a nice, grunty sound.

I was more surprised when I saw Plato leading a few races this season. After seeing the car racing I had to check on the net for more info. And yes, the BTCC race-car sounds great.

Superstars is a great series, although it's in deep trouble next season.

Iirc the Panamera was very competitive, especially in the hands of Fabrizio Giovanardi. Though I don't think it ever even did a full season.

This season was somewhat compromised by the ineffective balance of performance used on the AWD Audi's.

That's too bad. It's great to see souped-up versions of these full-size executive saloons duking it out on the racetrack. Especially with the case of the Panamera - I don't like the idea of a production four-door Porsche, it's another case of a manufacturer deviating from a certain focal point in its roots and trying to recreate a more effective cash cow, but I won't deny that it's a great car, regardless of my take on its bizarre proportions when viewed from the side. So, it makes me feel a bit better seeing them being raced professionally, even though it wasn't Porsche's initiative to race the Panamera. It would be ridiculous to see these large four-dour sedans on the street with those large wings and flared wheel arches, but in a racing environment, I find them quite appealing.

I didn't know about the competitiveness of the Panamera. I remember reading about a Quattroporte bringing a driver's title a few years ago though. I think that driver was Andrea Bertolini, (whose car was in the picture posted earlier) who I knew was highly successful in the FIA GT Series while racing the dominant Maserati MC12 GT1. I have no idea which played a bigger factor in the Superstars Series title - his great driving or the chassis of the Quattroporte apparently being superb.

No pictures, but 2 Honda Fits entered in a rather close to stock configuration this past weekend at Thunderhill. Was surprised they didn't get smacked off track

Mercedes-Benz_300SEL_6.8_AMG_Rote_Sau.JPG

I give you the Red Pig. Hans Werner Aufrecht & Co. decided they would hot-rod the already bonkers 300SEL 6.3 by increasing displacement to 6.8 liters, losing the bumpers and rear seat, and then see what it could do by entering it in the 24 hours of Spa in 1971. Its only problem was how huge the car was, easily the biggest and heaviest car in the field. It looked like Mr. Aufrecht brought a sledgehammer to a knife fight. But the car placed second overall - behind a Ford Capri 2.8.

Back