The "I can't believe they raced it!" Thread.

• Thread starter adam46
  • 687 comments
saab-96-rally-03.jpg

Lol it reminds me of this
meme+malaysia+tak+perlu+ke+hogwart+untuk+naik+sapu+terbang.jpg

Andea_moda_formula.jpg

Team Andrea Moda is widely remembered as the most inept team in the history of F1. Taking over the (already quite sad) Coloni operation in 1992, the shoemaking business owned by Andrea Sassetti (renown rich-and-flamboyant imbecile) tried to start their foray in open-wheel racing from the top formula. The team failed to qualify once, and to do things such as pay Judd for their engines. They would eventually change four drivers in their twelve-GP history and would be banned from the paddock at the Italian GP.

And my mechanic worked on their car.

Seriously. They had a problem with the electric wiring on one of the cars. I believe by then the mechanics were since long gone; after all, nobody quite likes working for a F1 team and not getting paid. The car was repaired in the same workshop that changed the oil in my father's car.

At least I can say I live in a city that had its own F1 team. :sly: :lol:

To be fair, they're not Life. At least they managed to pre-qualify for a race.

Andrea Moda

Don't forget Sassetti's arrest during the Belgian GP weekend. Oh, and knowingly sending Perry McCarthy out with a broken steering column... At Spa. Poor Perry didn't realize until the middle of Eau Rouge. :scared: I could go on and on, but F1 Rejects already has Andrea Moda covered well enough.

The car was old, criminally slow and the team had no chance due to Sassetti's lack of investment. And yet, it's still better looking than anything on the grid in 2014.

Lastly, Supersub Moreno did manage to qualify the car at Monaco after a mighty effort in pre qualifying and quali itself. Believe it or not, he managed to complete 11 racing laps in this dog of a car before it succumbed to engine failure.

They raced these puppies in the 80s as factory race teams and it was arguably bigger than bikes at the time. They still race today (even with modernized machines) but not factory sponsored. They also raced in the Baja 1000, several times, and are to this day, undefeated in the ATV class, only just recently being tied for the first time in nearly 35 years. In 1984, they placed 3rd and 4th in the entire competition beating out everything else. Engines ranged from 70cc-350cc four strokes and 125-500cc air or water cooled 2 strokes and could hit speeds of up to 100mph. With a gearing change on the biggest ones, you could hit much higher. Horsepower ranged from 6hp all the way into the mid 50s. It's not uncommon to see highly modified machines cranking out over 85 horsepower today.

1537849_386941038117394_1565113765_o.jpg
Asouth.jpg
ATC480.jpg
husky-dw1.jpg
IMG_1916.JPG
IMG_1948.JPG
IMG_1952.JPG
PF3wheeler.jpg
sanjose1983.jpg
Scan007.jpg
Scan009.jpg

Last edited:
They raced these puppies in the 80s as factory race teams and it was arguably bigger than bikes at the time. They still race today (even with modernized machines) but not factory sponsored. They also raced in the Baja 1000, several times, and are to this day, undefeated in the ATV class, only just recently being tied for the first time in nearly 35 years. Engines ranged from 70cc-350cc four strokes and 125-500cc air or water cooled 2 strokes and could hit speeds of up to 100mph. With a gearing change on the biggest ones, you could hit much higher. Horsepower ranged from 6hp all the way into the mid 50s. It's not uncommon to see highly modified machines cranking out over 85 horsepower today.

View attachment 129412 View attachment 129413 View attachment 129414 View attachment 129415 View attachment 129416 View attachment 129417 View attachment 129418 View attachment 129419 View attachment 129420 View attachment 129421 View attachment 129422
That is quite awesome. I'll take the #1 Honda.

That is quite awesome. I'll take the #1 Honda.
That is the very first gen Honda 250R, its a bit lacking compared to its later revisions and modern machines but I have no doubt it will give anyone who gets on one a thrill. If you think that looks badass you should see the 3rd generation machines.

If that Honda had four wheels, something would have just kicked in. :sly:
It actually did. In 1986, Honda sold 3 and 4 wheeled versions side by side. The 4 wheeled version was slightly slower due to extra weight, rolling resistance and a detuned engine. However both are very fast.

Most of the sport ones they race have fully manual clutches and shifters (motorcycle style) with 5-6 speed gearboxes. My personal one has a 5 speed and 200cc engine.

It actually did. In 1986, Honda sold 3 and 4 wheeled versions side by side. The 4 wheeled version was slightly slower due to extra weight, rolling resistance and a detuned engine. However both are very fast.
You're making me want to transform into an octopus so I can slap eight scientists at once for not making time travel possible, because I want one of those Hondas now.

hqdefault.jpg

I introduce you to train racing. Three cars attached by whatever. The first car has an engine, but no brakes. The middle is completely gutted. The last car has brakes, but no engine. Then, usually, they drive in a figure of eight.

They are a hoot to drive. Well, I raced them, I was the brake man. So, they are hoot to stop. Don't know about driving them.

hqdefault.jpg

I introduce you to train racing. Three cars attached by whatever. The first car has an engine, but no brakes. The middle is completely gutted. The last car has brakes, but no engine. Then, usually, they drive in a figure of eight.

They are a hoot to drive. Well, I raced them, I was the brake man. So, they are hoot to stop. Don't know about driving them.
I have seen so much destruction in those kind of races. :crazy:

You're making me want to transform into an octopus so I can slap eight scientists at once for not making time travel possible, because I want one of those Hondas now.

You can still get them. They are wildly popular here in the states and one in near mint condition will run you about $1,500 if you don't feel like fixing one up. There's no shortage of aftermarket performance part that's for sure. In fact there are companies that convert modern quads as well but its more cost effective to buy an older machine.

Here goes slushy on one of his trike lectures:lol:

But really, it's amazing how much you know about this stuff:bowdown:

:cheers:
I know a lot but there are people who know way more than I do. Thanks though :)

Slush has one:tup:

yup dad bought a pair of them around 1992. Still have one of them.

I've been flipped over and dragged around for nearly ten laps before.
I've never seen that, but man. :scared:
You can still get them. They are wildly popular here in the states and one in near mint condition will run you about $1,500 if you don't feel like fixing one up. There's no shortage of aftermarket performance part that's for sure. In fact there are companies that convert modern quads as well but its more cost effective to buy an older machine.
Pretty cheap there. My specialty for something that isn't a car is a go-kart, then a trike/quad/motorcycle. But I'd still like to have one.

I've never seen that, but man. :scared:

Pretty cheap there. My specialty for something that isn't a car is a go-kart, then a trike/quad/motorcycle. But I'd still like to have one.
Honda made a single seater 2 stroke race kart called the Odessy for a few years as well. Came in both 250cc and 350cc engine sizes. Quick, but I'm biased towards three wheelers. They respond very well to user input. Ill have to link you to a modern day review.

Honda made a single sweater 2 stroke race kart called the Odessy for a few years as well. Came in both 250cc and 350cc engine sizes. Quick, but I'm biased towards three wheelers. They respond very well to user input. Ill have to link you to a modern day review.
Put that kart in my garage! :eek:

And my '70 Chevelle SS454 LS6 or LS7

Look it up, they raced them professionally as well :D

Here's a few more pics.

cagiva1.jpg
DSC3283-XL.jpg
eastw-01.jpg
IMG_1917.JPG
IMG_1919.JPG
IMG_1921.JPG
IMG_1947.JPG
IMG_1948.JPG
IMG_1957.JPG
3333333.jpg
Copyof100_8628.jpg
2012-Trike-Fest-DSC07308.jpg
trikefest20102137.jpg
RhuelMX06small.jpg
picture.JPG
side.jpg
brianjump01.jpg
Flight-Time.jpg
image18-e1372700649640.jpg
5072267974_04c9bf9550_b.jpg
pinelake3whl12.jpg
AR-308049988.jpg
4486_100759962944_607307944_1980557_7766292_n.jpg

Last edited:
What did that Saturn race in?

EDIT: Never mind, should've looked at the windshield before asking.

It's still running, and they have a somewhat eclectic grid. This is the participant's cars, in the order seen on the "Drivers & Teams" page.

Mazdaspeed3
Mazda MX-6
Honda Civic
Honda Prelude
Noble M400
BMW M3
Acura RSX
BMW M3
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Lexus IS300
BMW M3
Acura Integra
Hyundai Genesis Coupe
BMW 3-series
BMW M3
Mazda3
BMW M3
Dodge Neon SRT-4?
Honda Civic
BMW M3
Volvo C30
Honda Civic
Chevrolet Camaro

Several of them have no or partial aero pacakges, the Camaro looks like it might be a purpose-built race car that may not even have headlights, and the Noble is just LOLWUT.

Back