The "I can't believe they raced it!" Thread.

• Thread starter adam46
  • 688 comments
I wonder if anyone has mentioned the Life F190 yet? A car that never made it out of Pre Qualifying and was at one particular race about 360 ish seconds from the pole position time.

6 minutes off the pole time? It wasn't that bad.

:P

Edit: funnily enough though, I had a quick look on Wikipedia and whilst the Life car was 36 seconds away from making it out of pre-qualifying in Phoenix - which I'm certain is what you ment - the Coloni-Subaru driven by Bertrand Gachot recorded a lap of 5 minutes 15 seconds, compared with Berger's 1:28 pole time!

Last edited:
images

240sx Rally Car.
Been there, done that.

Nissan_silvia_200sx_s12_rally.jpg

Probably the most famous example at the top levels of motorsport:

volvo-850btcc.jpg
Replicated that one in FM4 (I own a 440 in real life) :D

This one make Trabant race was part of the support program for the 1988 Hungarian Grand Prix... I don't think that Bernie would allow an event like this on an F1 weekend in the present day.

I go to Budapest regularly and those cars are still going strong there (but on the normal roads).

Honda_RA302_left_Honda_Collection_Hall.jpg

Honda RA302. What's so unusual about it? The fact that it had a Magnesium monocoque. Magnesium is highly flammable. The car was rejected as a deathtrap by John Surtees so Honda had Jo Schlesser drive it at the 1968 French Grand Prix. Schlesser was killed on lap 2 after the car pitched into a grass bank and went up in a blaze.

What's even more unbelievable about this car is the fact that Honda then tried to convince Surtees to drive the car a few races later. He refused again and Honda ultimately pulled out of Formula one (as a manufacturer) for nigh on forty years.
Crazy! And to have the balls to try and continue a program like that even after someone got burned on lap 2 because of the suicidal design.... :eek:

Last edited:
Kia-Optima-Race-Car-36-Michael-Galati.jpg

Kia Optima in the Pirelli World Challenge

834455-14246830-640-360.jpg

Lada Granta in WTCC (did they end their motorsport program?)

s20001-2.jpg

Proton Satria Neo S2000 in the Asia-Pacific Rally Championship

11839832986_4a253c20c8_b.jpg

Foton Tunland in the Dakar Rally

Caddy racer is surprisingly capable for a van. I'd like a van racing series.

That Mitsuoka just got 500% more attractive when it's photographed doing that. Before it just seems like a terrible mashup of proportions and design languages - a little bit of Auburn's, a little bit of Morgan's, a little bit of Lincoln's from the 80s for the rear end, a little bit from a generic Japanese 90s everyday car for the side profile, and so on. Now, my perception of that car has been enlightened after seeing that picture.

It looks like something a psychopathic supervillain with a deep penchant for classical music would drive.

Well sirs, how about a championship comprised only of Fiat Unos?

Uno_Braga1_2009.jpg

This is the Desafio Único (Portuguese for unique challenge) championship, created by the Engineering College of Oporto some years ago. As you can see, it is a single make championship, using only the Fiat Uno 45s. Being the championship with the smallest perfomance gap between cars in Portugal, it has lots of close racing. Of course, since we're talking about the Fiat Uno, a single lap might take a while to be completed... These cars also compete in hillclimbs, and two other categories exist, using the Fiat Punto and the Alfa Romeo 156. Truly a unique challenge, that's for sure.

Attachments

• Uno_Braga1_2009.jpg
    Uno_Braga1_2009.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 20
1). Don't double post.

2). Looks like something that I can make on GT6. The Honda Fit has been racing for some time now.

But yeah, it looks pretty silly.

Since I can't remember where I saw it linked, I can't pull up the ad (assuming it's still up) to demonstrate.

I remember it being Seattle CL.

Back