The "I can't believe they raced it!" Thread.

• Thread starter adam46
  • 688 comments
My reaction to both the Kitten and the Mini is "lol wtf".

And the Mini sounds like it revs pretty high.

It's a 2.6 litre V8 so it's to be expected.

This
483016.2-lg.jpg

Although, it's quite awesome. It's another racing fox, but this time it's racing down under.

Racing-reliant-robins_mendips-raceway_2005-05-30.jpg

Nuff said?

or Baja 442?
march-1970-issue-of-popular-hot-rodding.jpg

Someone mentioned Odyseey racing earlier
I remember the commentators had a saying with these things...

"Odyseies are difficult to keep upright, even on a flat surface... let alone a Mickey Thompson jump"

how about some Ultrastocks while we're at it... wich are apparently so forgotten I can only find an Ebay listing for one of the old R/C bodies... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/COX-ULTRA-STOCK-KYOSHO-TOYOTA-SUPRA-VINTAGE-RC10-/150786903040

Last edited:
Honda_RA302_left_Honda_Collection_Hall.jpg

Honda RA302. What's so unusual about it? The fact that it had a Magnesium monocoque. Magnesium is highly flammable. The car was rejected as a deathtrap by John Surtees so Honda had Jo Schlesser drive it at the 1968 French Grand Prix. Schlesser was killed on lap 2 after the car pitched into a grass bank and went up in a blaze.

What's even more unbelievable about this car is the fact that Honda then tried to convince Surtees to drive the car a few races later. He refused again and Honda ultimately pulled out of Formula one (as a manufacturer) for nigh on forty years.

Terrible accident-one of the worst in F1 history tbh :(

The Proton's are nearing 400 I think. MG/Honda are in the region of 350-375 ish according to what the marketing department print onto cheap autograph cards.

Ah, that explains it. At least that's more in line with the "old" use of turbos (i.e. go faster) that what's being seen on the street these days.

Yep. What you're looking at there is the NASCAR Toyota Series (Formally known as the NASCAR Mexico Corona Series). Interestingly it features Antonio Perez, younger brother of Current F1 driver Sergio Perez.

Supposedly from what I remember, NASCAR was supposedly considering making changes to both it and the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series by adopting the Grand National Rules, which would allow both series to use the same cars that used to run in the Nationwide series. Not sure if that's still true.

Last edited:
Following on from the weird Group B cars is the Daihatsu Charade DeTomaso 926R. 926cc, turbocharged three cylinder, mid-engined and rear wheel drive. Technically never raced per se, since it was designed for Group B rallying before it was banned, but even so, a Charade is still a strange base to start a factory-backed rally car with. The rally cars put out 118 horsepower, whilst the 200 homologation cars were detuned to around 71 instead.

detomaso.jpg

Subaru ran a factory-backed Vivio Kei rally car for a while, driven by Colin McRae no less.

sviviorxrmcrae.jpg

Proton's PERT (Petronas EON Racing Team) cars. At first, they had a factory produced Saga rally car, built with help from Ralliart. Then, due to their part sharing with Mitsubishi, Proton saved costs and time and just rebadged Evos over the years with factory liveries and raced in Malaysian and production class rallies.

Prorotn Saga teampert-10.jpg

proton1.jpg

proton3.jpg

proton2.jpg

The Supermodified class of rallycross cars always surprises me.

volvo.jpg

saab.jpg

Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Spyder Time Attack car. Not only came first in class, but came 2nd overall, beating all but one of the AWD cars.

gts.jpg

That magazine front plate leads me to believe it wasn't actually raced... along with the lack of a helmet on the driver.

I've never worn a helmet racing so that means nothing to me lol. But it's rather funny to see on a track that's for sure.

Back