the "just plain ugly" car thread

I find not many designs by Colani visually appealing. Another example:

View attachment 710896

While it may be functionally superior in terms of cabin visibility, just approaching and entering it would probably be easier with a blindfold on.
Reminds me of Predator..
predator-625x350.jpg

-> ...

^ What's the name of this vehicle? My curiosity heightens! :D
Carbontech Redback Spyder, found when searching "spyder car" on Google Images ("spyder" alone resulted in countless references to what appeared to be a very bad foreign movie--presumably a crime thriller) for something to respond to an MR2 Spyder (obvious connection) on the Car Association thread. Decided against the Carbontech because that would just lead to more atrocities like it.

The updated X4 has the same taillight design as the new 8-Series, but the amount of metal in the rear makes it look so chunky.

mqo6kd5uhubp9k4yenhb.jpg

cqhonebkzspulk88jqju.jpg

I was perfectly fine with the previous Toyota Corolla IA/Auris, then Toyota had to come along and ruin one of their only designs I liked.
2018-Toyota-Auris-at-Geneva-Motor-Show-3-1464-default-large.jpeg

Toyota, when are you going to learn that your edgy headlight and wide spread grille design is not good?! WHEN?!

https://jalopnik.com/is-the-spindle-grille-killing-lexus-sales-1822300581

Way back in 2011, Toyota president and CEO Akio Toyoda discussed the Lexus brand with some potential buyers at the Pebble Beach Concours. He heard a chorus of “Lexus is boring” and “Lexus should clearly define their brand.” As it happens, 2011 was a down year for Lexus, which was handily outsold by BMW and Mercedes, despite being the luxury car sales kings in 2010. Toyoda vowed then that Lexus would never again be described as boring, and that set about a wholesale change in the brand.

This is why Lexus (and therefore Toyota) has these awful front grills. Buyers complained and they weren't making money so that had to try something different.

I enjoy that Toyota makes different looking stuff. There's too much 'look german' going around the industry. Some cars may not look great but at least they're trying different things. German styling, especially Audi, is very practical with crisp lines. The lights are detail-y but much of the rest of the car is very much not.

I actually like both of the 8th and 9th gen of Euro Civic. I actually wanted to buy an 8th gen Euro Civic over here but those sold rather few and the Asian Model civic is much more common.
I don't think the two Corolla are that bad. Maybe the pre-facelift is somewhat ugly but the facelift made it look much better.
I always thought that generation Civic was the best modern generation. Much better than what we got in America.
I think this (slightly older model) is the best looking modern civic IMO:

IMG-20161209-WA0036.jpg

IMG-20161209-WA0040.jpg

Great Wall Motors new electric car Ora iQ5
ora-1.jpg
Something about it is just so off... I can't put my finger on it.
I think I can help.

I've just alluded to these proportions elsewhere and knew I saw them here a while back (quoted above).

Look at the relationship between tire diameter, tire clearance, and the space between the top of the wheel opening and the beltline. Wheel and tire package is diminutive, there's a huge gap for the tire to travel (yes, that's a good thing where functionality is concerned, but it doesn't help visually), and that's a fat slab of bodywork below the hood line. Things get worse as your eye travels rearward, since the beltline gains height while the wheel opening loses it.

The greenhouse is wildly out of proportion as well, however here it's shorter than it ought to be compared to the area between the beltline and the ground (our eye is drawn all the way to the ground rather than the rocker panel)--think "lifted new Camaro."

Sure, there's something amiss in the face, but the bones themselves are all wrong.

My issue with that Audi's design is the headlight and grills location in proportion to the bottom half of the body. It's hard for me to describe what's wrong with that, but I feel that there's too much of nothing going on between the bottom of the front and the top of the front. The car itself looks a bit too tall, like it's on stilts.

My issue with that Audi's design is the headlight and grills location in proportion to the bottom half of the body. It's hard for me to describe what's wrong with that, but I feel that there's too much of nothing going on between the bottom of the front and the top of the front. The car itself looks a bit too tall, like it's on stilts.
I don't know that there's a significant difference in that distance when compared to other Audi models utilizing similar design language, though it does appear to have minimal overbite in the bumper. The height helps reduce a claustrophobic feel and provides a more commanding view of the road--both desirable features in a subcompact.

While it's not exactly captivating, I certainly dont think it's boring either. Just needs more tire sidewall.

:P

The height helps reduce a claustrophobic feel and provides a more commanding view of the road--both desirable features in a subcompact.
I was sure there was a reason behind that styling choice, but I still think it looks off however.

It could've been worse. Imagine how tacky an S2 would've been.
and I imagine it could been, but that does not sway my view of the A2's design.

Latest Posts

Back