the "just plain ugly" car thread

Yea, the Urus really isn't a looker by an stretch of the imagination :yuck:.

And and speaking of cars that aren't "lookers":
Apollo Intensa Emozione.jpg
Apollo Intensa Emozione..jpg

The Apollo Intensa Emozione. What an ugly mess :yuck:. And people thought the companies previous creation; the Gumpert to be ugly as sin (though I thought that looked not half bad), but this makes the Gumpert look like an oil painting.

Sure, from the brief videos we have it's 6.3 litre N/A V12 may sound godly, but it's far from being aesthetically pleasing. Far too fiddly and over styled to be pretty in my eyes. Just looks like some fantasy creation straight out of GTA, much like many other super/hyper car these days it'd seem, à la the Mclaren Senna or Vulcan etc, etc. And yes I'm aware that something like the Senna is deliberately ugly to be fast, but that doesn't change the fact it's as vile as the rest of the supersonic track toys that lie in it's "class".

And the Intensa Emozione (IE) is no different, looks like any other bonkers hyper creation i see today. I.e. very forgettable and ultimately "much of a muchness".

Yea, the Urus really isn't a looker by an stretch of the imagination :yuck:.

And and speaking of cars that aren't "lookers":
View attachment 700085 View attachment 700086

The Apollo Intensa Emozione. What an ugly mess :yuck:. And people thought the companies previous creation; the Gumpert to be ugly as sin (though I thought that looked not half bad), but this makes the Gumpert look like an oil painting.

Sure, from the brief videos we have it's 6.3 litre N/A V12 may sound godly, but it's far from being aesthetically pleasing. Far too fiddly and over styled to be pretty in my eyes. Just looks like some fantasy creation straight out of GTA, much like many other super/hyper car these days it'd seem, à la the Mclaren Senna or Vulcan etc, etc. And yes I'm aware that something like the Senna is deliberately ugly to be fast, but that doesn't change the fact it's as vile as the rest of the supersonic track toys that lie in it's "class".

And the Intensa Emozione (IE) is no different, looks like any other bonkers hyper creation i see today. I.e. very forgettable and ultimately "much of a muchness".
Just put the pen down! My eyes don't know where to look, there's no cohesion, no simple curves, no pleasing elements of the car to speak of.

Unpopular opinion: I don't think all the current Lexus grills look bad, some looks better/worse than the other but it seems like it's getting more and more extreme to me.

2013 Lexus LS460:

2013-Lexus-LS-460-feat-1.jpg

2018 Lexus LS500h:

upload_2017-12-20_10-9-40.png

2013 Lexus ES350:

Untitled_HDR2.jpg

2017 Lexus ES350:

2017_lexus_es-350_LIFE1_ot_1121161_1280.jpg

2014 Lexus LX570 Supercharger:
maxresdefault.jpg

2018 Lexus LX570 Signature Edition:
LX570-Signature-2.jpg

While this might belong in another thread, i thought it might belong in this thread as well since none of them looked that great but it also got worse over time.

Ford Edge pre-facelift, i didn't remember the earlier models looking this bad. At least the facelift of that gen looks less outdated and ugly.

main.jpeg

main.jpeg

Nope. Gumpert went bankrupt and was eventually liquidated in 2013, before being bought out by a Hong Kong based company and renamed Apollo Autombil.

They're the still the same company; in essence, that made the Apollo when they were called Gumpert, but their cars haven't got any prettier (though I thought the old Gumpert Apollo wasn't too bad) if the Emozione and Arrow concept are anything to go by :yuck:.

Apollo arrow.jpg

Apollo Arrow

Something about it is just so off... I can't put my finger on it. Something to do with the grill-less face or the camera perspective maybe. I'm assuming it's a compact car but from the top photo's angle it looks about the size of a Model X with tiny wheels.

Something about it is just so off... I can't put my finger on it. Something to do with the grill-less face or the camera perspective maybe. I'm assuming it's a compact car but from the top photo's angle it looks about the size of a Model X with tiny wheels.

The car itself looks pretty good, it just has a stupid ride height. Cut the fenders in further and drop it down 3 inches and give it proportionate wheels and it would look fantastic. Maybe paint that stupid black trim the same colour as the car too, it doesn't help with how high it appears to ride.

I think it's the amount of metal between the rear wheel arch to the trunk height. I've been noticing it on other cars lately too.

2017-Honda-Civic-Hatchback-01.jpg

2015-wrx-sti-rear-fog-1_1_5.jpg

The distance from the front wheel arch to the top of the hood also matters. I remember reading somewhere about how the new Volvos were designed to reduce that distance to give it a much better look and I think that's one of the main reasons why modern cars look so chunky.

2017-Volvo-V90-side-profile-03.jpg

I find not many designs by Colani visually appealing. Another example:

8491-1149.jpg

While it may be functionally superior in terms of cabin visibility, just approaching and entering it would probably be easier with a blindfold on.

I find not many designs by Colani visually appealing.
Appealing or attractive? I think an unattractive object can be visually appealing by way of being stimulating in the way Colani designs usually are; I've found very few to be attractive but almost all to be appealing.

Mr. Luigi Colani has actually designed very attractive looking cars as well as modern furniture; they aren't all deformed looking messes.

For example, this 1959 Abarth-Alfa Romeo 1300 by Colani.

And then of course, here are the ugliest of Mr. Colani's creations.

1978 Ford GT80

1985 Mercedes-Benz Prestige Coupe

1976 Volkswagen Turbo Polo

1970 Colani C112

1981 BMW M2

1976 Colani L'Aiglon

2006 Colani Egg

1970 Lamborghini Miura LeMans

1989 Chevrolet Corvette Charisma

And many more...

Appealing or attractive? I think an unattractive object can be visually appealing by way of being stimulating in the way Colani designs usually are; I've found very few to be attractive but almost all to be appealing.
Visually appealing in a positive way, or yes, attractive.

Back