The Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Is Your Rotary Powered Dream Machine

Discussion in 'Cars in General' started by GTPNewsWire, Oct 10, 2018.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. Tornado

Tornado

I always found it fascinating that Mazda put rear seats in a cabin no bigger than that of a C4 Corvette. I don't think Cotton Hill would willingly ride in a Japanese car, so who did they expect to fit in it? I assume it had to be taxation related; though I guess you could put crap in them at least.

3. TexRex

TexRex

Well that's just patently false...

:p

4. Danoff

Danoff Premium

$50k is really not bad for that. Too bad (I presume) they're all right hand drive.

karelpipa likes this.
  5. Naveek Darkroom

Naveek Darkroom Premium

Could be for taxation. The back seats of an FD look about as useful as those in a 911.

As for this Spirit R 50 grand for a car this rare (Even if the Type A is the most common variant) is not a bad deal, especially in a condition like this. Also, since it's an '02 model it's probably fair game to import into Canada so that's something.

AgentBlackDog likes this.
  6. samdu

samdu

Pretty sure the rear seats were for insurance purposes. Four seats = lower insurance. Or, that was the idea, I think.

3rd Gen RX-7 is the only model RX-7 I've never owned. They never quite dropped in value enough for me to buy one. I've lusted after them since they hit the streets, though. It's also a shame there are so few unmolested examples out there.

7. Danoff

Danoff Premium

They're so heavily molested that eventually the unmolested versions will jump in price. Especially as parts become difficult to find.

8. Naveek Darkroom

Naveek Darkroom Premium

It's pretty much the same case as with the A80 Supra. Like that automatic turbo Supra that was profiled here sometime back, which was offered for 65 grand or something like that.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  9. z71L28

z71L28

I agree with you good luck finding one without mods or complety stock.

10. 05XR8

05XR8

Might not be so bad if Mazda extend their restoration program, like they're doing with the Mazda Roadster , to the RX-7.

Rotorist likes this.
  11. homeforsummer

homeforsummer Premium

There's one solitary left-hand driver owned by Mazda North America.

Rotorist likes this.
  12. SVX

SVX Premium

I've read that it's technically not a Spirit R in the same sense, but a USDM FD converted to one by Mazda.

13. Danoff

Danoff Premium

[​IMG]

14. homeforsummer

homeforsummer Premium

I've driven a Bathurst R which is basically the same, and hugely enjoyed it. The power delivery is fantastic. Still one of the most beautiful cars ever to come out of Japan too.

15. Maddens Raiders

Maddens Raiders Premium

What a beauty.

16. gtrotary

gtrotary

There is something about the FD body and the rotary engine that are such a perfect combo.

VXR likes this.
  17. VXR

VXR

The Type RZ is my favourite FD. Waiting on the Tomica Limited Vintage to drop in December.

IMG_2030.JPG

SVX likes this.
  18. kikie

kikie Premium

19. eight6er

eight6er

The rear is small enough alright, but not too bad for short journeys. My friend's Japanese Import FC RX-7 had a sticker that seemed to suggest the rear seats were for children.

I saw a stunning example of a Type RZ in Thailand this year. I also found a garage with more than 10 RX7s stored inside there too.

20180408_194658[1].jpg 20180408_194717[1].jpg 20180408_194816[1].jpg

VXR and silverman_GT like this.