The Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Is Your Rotary Powered Dream Machine

I always found it fascinating that Mazda put rear seats in a cabin no bigger than that of a C4 Corvette. I don't think Cotton Hill would willingly ride in a Japanese car, so who did they expect to fit in it? I assume it had to be taxation related; though I guess you could put crap in them at least.

I always found it fascinating that Mazda put rear seats in a cabin no bigger than that of a C4 Corvette. I don't think Cotton Hill would willingly ride in a Japanese car, so who did they expect to fit in it? I assume it had to be taxation related; though I guess you could put crap in them at least.
Could be for taxation. The back seats of an FD look about as useful as those in a 911.

As for this Spirit R 50 grand for a car this rare (Even if the Type A is the most common variant) is not a bad deal, especially in a condition like this. Also, since it's an '02 model it's probably fair game to import into Canada so that's something.

Pretty sure the rear seats were for insurance purposes. Four seats = lower insurance. Or, that was the idea, I think.

3rd Gen RX-7 is the only model RX-7 I've never owned. They never quite dropped in value enough for me to buy one. I've lusted after them since they hit the streets, though. It's also a shame there are so few unmolested examples out there.

Pretty sure the rear seats were for insurance purposes. Four seats = lower insurance. Or, that was the idea, I think.

3rd Gen RX-7 is the only model RX-7 I've never owned. They never quite dropped in value enough for me to buy one. I've lusted after them since they hit the streets, though. It's also a shame there are so few unmolested examples out there.

They're so heavily molested that eventually the unmolested versions will jump in price. Especially as parts become difficult to find.

They're so heavily molested that eventually the unmolested versions will jump in price. Especially as parts become difficult to find.
It's pretty much the same case as with the A80 Supra. Like that automatic turbo Supra that was profiled here sometime back, which was offered for 65 grand or something like that.

Last edited:

I agree with you good luck finding one without mods or complety stock.

There's one solitary left-hand driver owned by Mazda North America.

SVX
I've read that it's technically not a Spirit R in the same sense, but a USDM FD converted to one by Mazda.

shut-up-and-take-my-money-32608030.png

The Type RZ is my favourite FD. Waiting on the Tomica Limited Vintage to drop in December.

IMG_2030.JPG

The rear is small enough alright, but not too bad for short journeys. My friend's Japanese Import FC RX-7 had a sticker that seemed to suggest the rear seats were for children.

I saw a stunning example of a Type RZ in Thailand this year. I also found a garage with more than 10 RX7s stored inside there too.

20180408_194658[1].jpg 20180408_194717[1].jpg 20180408_194816[1].jpg

There's one solitary left-hand driver owned by Mazda North America.

I found myself pondering this recently and came up with a crazy brilliant idea, which obviously I have no intention of executing because otherwise I'd be doing it and getting on Jay Leno's Garage instead of sharing it on an internet forum but...

I think there's an opportunity here. Buying a Spirit R right hand drive in Japan. Buying a left hand FD in the US. And moving all of the parts that transfer from the Spirit R to the left hand drive shell. That requires gutting a spirit R, a rare and collectible car. Which takes some resolve, which means this will probably never happen. But what you'd have as a result is from a regulations perspective in the US a modded FD LHD, which would be street legal. And from the car world's perspective, you'd have essentially recreated the one unicorn spirit R LHD that exists in the US. I very much doubt that there are any parts that were uniquely made for that one LHD example. I don't even think it would cost that much. Estimate $60k for the Spirit, low numbers for the FD, I dunno, $30k? It could have lots of miles and some mods as long as they didn't drill or ruin LHD-only components. Maybe $100k of labor on both sides of the ocean and some shipping. I think for $200k you could manufacture a second LHD Spirit R FD.

Alternatively, I suppose you could use a Bathurst as the "donor".

I found myself pondering this recently and came up with a crazy brilliant idea
I suppose it depends how much value there would be in it. A Spirit R isn't really different enough to a Bathurst R for it to be worth the conversion in terms of the enjoyment you'd get from driving it, and a "Spirit R" based on a LHD shell just using the handful of legit parts from the real car won't be worth as much when it's done because it's just a copy.

I suppose it depends how much value there would be in it. A Spirit R isn't really different enough to a Bathurst R for it to be worth the conversion in terms of the enjoyment you'd get from driving it, and a "Spirit R" based on a LHD shell just using the handful of legit parts from the real car won't be worth as much when it's done because it's just a copy.

As best I can tell, there are no Bathurst LHD examples. I would envision taking every part that wasn't RHD-specific from the donor.

Back