The McLaren F1... erh... P1 Thread

• Thread starter deba94
  • 719 comments
Ferrari test driver can't drift a Ferrari? Lol.

EDIT: They should put Chris Harris as a SIARPC on Top Gear.

That was Kimi :lol:

That Mclaren engineer made a pretty decent interview in Chris's video, I couldn't understand half of what he said but the technical mastery of this car is incredible.

The guy interviewed is Chris Goodwin, and he's not an engineer, he's McLaren's chief test driver... he's the one that's allegedly run a 6.37 'Ring lap.

His experience includes touring cars, FIA GT Championship, Le Mans 24h, Spa 24H, FIA GT3 Championship... he's pretty handy :D

The guy interviewed is Chris Goodwin, and he's not an engineer, he's McLaren's chief test driver... he's the one that's allegedly run a 6.37 'Ring lap.

His experience includes touring cars, FIA GT Championship, Le Mans 24h, Spa 24H, FIA GT3 Championship... he's pretty handy :D

So that's why he was interesting :P

ku-xlarge.gif

ku-xlarge.gif

ku-xlarge.gif

ku-xlarge.gif

Heres some street driving in Dubai. Nothing crazy but still cool to see it on the street. I dont think he was really pushing it either. I would of loved seeing him do a pull with the Aventador that pulled up.

Yeah, I guess the F1 deal fell through but I bet AMG would be willing to power a potential 'Ring record holder. Great advertising.

I think it's more likely that Mclaren will upgrade their engine and electric motor to LaFerrari levels of power rather than get a whole new engine.

Looks like the Veyron was in the wrong gear honestly. Especially from a roll, the Veyron should be all over a P1 if not faster.

Well with the huge gap in top speed the gearing is different, and the hybrid motor in the P1 should rocket it fast at any speed. MT said the P1 didn't stop pulling until it hit top speed. The Veyron will catch and pass around 170-180mph I'm guessing. Can't wait to see the Russians line these 2 up at an unlimited 500 drag event.

Isn't the whole point of a hyper car to be a technology showcase? The P1 is awesome because it's a Jack of All Trades. They used technology to create a car that's usable on the road and great on the track. If they try to make a hardcore track edition of it and presumably stiffen the suspension and strip out what few comforts it has, what's the point?

It'll get hammered by a superlight like a Radical anyways. At least when you get beat in a normal P1 you can keep solace in the fact your car is also a comfortable road car.

Info on the P1 GTR
McLaren only gave us a render of the P1 GTR this morning, but our friends over at McLaren Tampa Bay/Dimmitt Automotive Group sent us a bit of extra info.

According to them, McLaren will built 30-50 GTRs after the P1's production is finished next June, and will offer them for approximately $3.35 million to current P1 owners only.

For that, the lucky buyers get a 986 horsepower car that weights 2,800 pounds, runs on Pirelli slicks and creates 2,000 lbs of downforce
(compared to P1's 1,322 lbs and LaFerrari's 800 lbs).

The deal also includes entry to the first season of a unique racing series that travels around the world, with McLaren providing the buyer's fitness and driver training back in England. Woking will also take care of the storage and transportation of the P1 GTRs for the duration of the first season, which will consist of six racing events.
Jalopnik

If they try to make a hardcore track edition of it and presumably stiffen the suspension and strip out what few comforts it has, what's the point?
Just speed, for me I don't see spending this kind of money as being more reasonable just because some of the price goes to making it street friendly. I loved the GT1 cars on the 90's because they were so close to the race cars, and I'd like to see more cars like those. I find them more interesting from a driving aspect as well as an engineering aspect.

I do kind of wish they weren't all sold as super exclusive and expensive cars though.

It'll get hammered by a superlight like a Radical anyways.
The stats given above make it sound like it might be pretty competitive compared to the Radical. With double the HP of the Radical it might be noticeably quicker at high speed, even with additional downforce. Were it a few hundred pounds lighter, I'd have almost no doubt that it would be faster.

Hopefully it will win le mans first go. Then a long tail version!
It'd be a dream result but it'd need entered in LMP1-H to even be competitive, as GTE regulations (hell, even LMP2 regs) mean the LMP1s will just blow it back to the CFRP tub.

If they try to make a hardcore track edition of it and presumably stiffen the suspension and strip out what few comforts it has, what's the point?

Trackday toy. Much like the Zonda R, but then the factors such as record breaking and competing with the Ponies from Italy.

About what they could do, remove all luxuries, add more downforce and reduce drag through adaptive aero more complex than the road car, retune suspension in more than one way (remember, McLaren are an F1 team who will not just stiffen the springs. Minor tweaks are their thing) in camber, toe, roll resistance (maybe even using the S-Class' adaptive suspension tech which leans a car into corners a tad) and making them massively adaptive (computer controlled, remember?) and talking to other systems on the car, reducing unsprung weight by fitting high performance Carbon ceramic brakes (improve bump reaction, thus meaning more confidence over harsh bumps), give the hybrid system a new code to fill torque gaps in power delivery... So quite a bit is possible, and for over £1mil, the sky is the limit.

Back