The Memminger Roadster 2.7 Is a 210hp Mid-Engined Ultimate Beetle

Absolutely gorgeous! I think it's amazing having a concept like this. taking the old VW and modernizing it. It's... strange, unique, but it works! Love the color and the wheels. It probably should have been kept RR, but I imagine it wouldn't have worked for the design point of view. However, I bet it drives a lot better!

^ agreed
It also looks like a modern Volkswagen Hebmüller Cabriolet. A very rare coach-built VW roadster made in the late 40s and early 50s.
175078_10150097271228163_644188162_6536442_8134133_o.jpg

176153_10150097271143163_644188162_6536441_974096_o.jpg

This is strange. It manages to make what is not a modern shape look too modern for the styling details. The rear arches and headlights in particular. I like the idea, though.

I think the original Beetle had 125 tires not 165.
5.60-15 bias ply on early cars and 165SR15 (165/80R15) radials on later aircooleds. The 165s are approximately 1cm wider than the 5.60s, or 155 section, but are the correct diameter.

You just don't see rubber as narrow as 125 on the road cars, but the PRA racers run skinnies in front just to keep their cars tracking straight. 135SR15s were used more frequently on the front of modified street cars looking to conform to the "California Look" aesthetic, but even then I prefer 145SR15s (even better, 165/60R15s) for a little more peace of mind.

As of right now, Memminger is unsure if it will do a production run of the Roadster 2.7. However, if it does, it’ll only be a handful and they’ll all come with a whopping price tag.

Would they actually be able to put it into production? Granted yes it looks like it's been given the GTA treatment to give it just enough differences, but it still seems close enough to file a lawsuit over.

Would they actually be able to put it into production? Granted yes it looks like it's been given the GTA treatment to give it just enough differences, but it still seems close enough to file a lawsuit over.
Glass Station built their "Pro V" without too many hassles from Wolfsburg--I think they ultimately just fizzled out.

You could get their body and chassis ready for a V8 build, their chassis ready to accept a standard VW Beetle shell with modifications to fit a V8, or their body to bolt onto a VW pan. It was modified considerably, but still very identifiable as a Beetle:

199x%252520Glass%252520Station%252520Pro-V_03.jpg

Glass Station built their "Pro V" without too many hassles from Wolfsburg--I think they ultimately just fizzled out.

You could get their body and chassis ready for a V8 build, their chassis ready to accept a standard VW Beetle shell with modifications to fit a V8, or their body to bolt onto a VW pan. It was modified considerably, but still very identifiable as a Beetle:

199x%252520Glass%252520Station%252520Pro-V_03.jpg

The Pro V was considered a kit car though, which is a bit of a grey area (just look at how many Shelby kits exist).

The Memminger on the other hand is a completely bespoke car.

The Pro V was considered a kit car though, which is a bit of a grey area (just look at how many Shelby kits exist).

The Memminger on the other hand is a completely bespoke car.
Correct, though given the fact that the Beetle "owner's club" isn't exactly an exclusive group, I'd have to imagine Wolfsburg wouldn't press them too firmly--particularly with the resemblance being so skewed. I'd actually like them to, honestly, just to keep the number of these ugly things roaming around to an absolute minimum.

:lol:

5.60-15 bias ply on early cars and 165SR15 (165/80R15) radials on later aircooleds. The 165s are approximately 1cm wider than the 5.60s, or 155 section, but are the correct diameter.

You just don't see rubber as narrow as 125 on the road cars, but the PRA racers run skinnies in front just to keep their cars tracking straight. 135SR15s were used more frequently on the front of modified street cars looking to conform to the "California Look" aesthetic, but even then I prefer 145SR15s (even better, 165/60R15s) for a little more peace of mind.

This is a 5.00/5.25 inch tire from a Beetle.

Edit: My bad, I was thinking of Käfer, not Beetle.

Attachments

• mixed_20.jpeg
    mixed_20.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I think it looks great but its one of those cars that only billonaires would buy for their collection.

I assume its a $100k thing and if its a complete new car then you wont be able to drive it in many places given it wont pass emissions crash.

Its not like a Singer or that sort that is a rebuild of a 1979 car so it has to conform to 1979 regs.

Very cool, hate to admit it but I rather like this thing... Atleast, until we see the price!

I think it looks great but its one of those cars that only billonaires would buy for their collection.

I assume its a $100k thing and if its a complete new car then you wont be able to drive it in many places given it wont pass emissions crash.

Its not like a Singer or that sort that is a rebuild of a 1979 car so it has to conform to 1979 regs.

I'm actually guessing it'll be more than $100k. It's pretty much all custom parts and hand built, even the engine is custom made. A price tag of $300k is probably not out of the realm of possibilities.

Given how cars with less of a point have sold for more, I'm guessing if they make a limited run, they won't have any problem selling them.

Back