The Next Gran Turismo Could Feature More "Offline" Gameplay

Hosts take forever to start races

I am sincerely baffled by how much this happens. Hosts will literally sit around for hours doing laps, waiting for some arbitrary number of players to join — to start a race that will last all of 5 minutes.

IMO, ‘Race for real’ and ‘Race for fun’ lobbies should default to “Practice” if the Host hasn’t started a race within 30 minutes.

GT League championships would be great in GT Sport. Would be a way to... I dunno, get more prize money at the end. I mean, sure, they could give you a car but I doubt that'd happen because of daily marathons.

Too few series and too few people signing up. Why not combine all players from all regions and increase players per split

If iRacing can do it, why not PD ?

In what region? Here in North America we had full almost all the time with just the US and Canada. It would be easier for you to just switch your account to a region with more people.

In what region? Here in North America we had full almost all the time with just the US and Canada. It would be easier for you to just switch your account to a region with more people.

I think what he’s referring to is “too few series” I.E we only get 3 daily races and there isn’t enough players to support more than that, which is definitely true.

If the regions were reduced to 2 or even just a global server like iRacing, we could have more events.

I think what he’s referring to is “too few series” I.E we only get 3 daily races and there isn’t enough players to support more than that, which is definitely true.

If the regions were reduced to 2 or even just a global server like iRacing, we could have more events.

Total and utter disagreement. The Game as it is now is proof.

Sport Mode and GT League with online ability would lead completely separate lives just as Sport Mode and the Open Lobby does now. If anything, it's the open lobbies that will suffer. Open Lobbies will end up being more dedicated where as the folks that just want to have a good time will go to GT League.

As I said, Sport Mode would maintain it's purpose as a place to earn rank. GT League, as it is now, is focused on events rather than SR/DR. It would probably be for the best to have no DR/SR effect at all, as the lobbies do now. So, rather than starting up a lobby and inviting people to that, you would enter an event and either invite friends to your GT League event, or Join someone else's. An option for matchmaking could be a feature, or not. The lobbies have an option for minimum DR and SR so if you want strangers in your GT League event, you could simply activate that setting.

It's no different than the early days of Battlefield. You could have Huge 32 player matches or, if it was just you and a couple of friends, the handful of you would start a game and bots would fill the rest of the spaces. Those were completely separate entities that served specific purposes.

Edit: Actually, as I think about it more, the Sport Mode we know now could be completely eliminated. Simply have 1 race (not 1 event, just a single race) from each GT League tier be a ranked race. As I've said in the past, they'd need to clamp down on the freedom of tuning, but it would totally work. I'd even go so far as to have a weekly "Race D" which would come from the endurance events.

That approach would be better than the very repetitive events we have now.

Last edited:
Yes and and so I wouldn't have to come into contact with the self imposed opinion police like yourself.
Well you did say you hope they don't make another game, even though their next game will likely be another numbered one and go back to the old gt roots also If this games a mess why wouldn't you want a new one that fixes things, it's not really suprising people found your "opinion" quite silly

Well you did say you hope they don't make another game, even though their next game will likely be another numbered one and go back to the old gt roots also If this games a mess why wouldn't you want a new one that fixes things, it's not really suprising people found your "opinion" quite silly
I read the post as another racung(Sport) game. The way GT SPORT debuted as an online racing game. Not like GT1-6 car-pg type games.

If I'm wrong with my interpretation, so be it.

It's a case of what have you done lately. GT5 was a mess of leveling and experience points nerfing a reasonable carpg. GT6 was useless rubbish chase the rabbit miles behind the leader sillyness and GTS is more of the same outside of Create Race - the experience, milage and money make that useless in another game about leveling and experience......

Whoever designed GT-Mode for 1,2,3 or 4 cannot be the same person designing GT5,6, GTS.

Even with lots of tracks and cars available, I'm not sure we'll see a proper GT mode for some reasons.
So many game design flaws for years. First and foremost, Poly needs new game designers. Just look at the Sport mode; GTSport is supposed to be a very focus online game and there are like three races?! Just imagine a FPS shooter with the same three maps for a week. And where are the rewards? Just some credits instead of special events with car prizes or generous credits reward. They want us to take part in the next FIA championship series? "Complete all the races and you will win the 20 million credits car of your choice."

“The other part of it,” said Yamauchi, “is that I think it does have a lot to do with the offline mode. If we can motivate players more so their car driving improves more, then when they go online — rather than just not knowing what’s going on or what to do at all on the track — they will know. That is a force that tries to go from the bottom up, so I think you have to do both.”

No thank you, I don't want to have a 'force' pushing me into online racing. I want an enjoyable, high quality and modern Gran Turismo. I don't want to have to keep playing GT6 just to have a rewarding single player campaign.

I appreciate PD acknowledging improvements, but really disappointed to continue to hear vague comments that do not illustrate how GTS will evolve.

When Yamauchi says “What we are doing now is working on that force that pulls people up from the top, but the next thing we have to do is to push people up, and I think that has a lot to do with the offline part of the game.”

I can only think either he personally, or Sony still want to try and engage the D/E driver using a DS4, because in its current form, it's (relatively) easy for those who are ambitious of being in the top 24, simply because you can get really good at GTS with experience; you just have to look at the guys who were in the top 10 from week one who have now plateaued and been overtaken by those that would have been easily 1-2 secs off their pace in week one 18 months ago. I hope they don't plan to inhibit the cars/ handicap the top drivers even more in an effort to make the top more achievable.

I think they just need to forget this little dream because to push people up, PD/Sony will need to dispense with the DS4 and offer a highly developed controller and set some more rigorous license tests, and in reality, what large numbers of players are really going to be bothered to have the patience and commitment to overcome that?

I’d have little interest in a single player game. Once you wet your feet against live people online racing ai becomes quite boring.
The future is online play.
Maybe the old games were neat for their time. They’ve got the right idea imo with sport.
I wouldnt bother with a gt title focused on a single player career grind after playing live people.

I’d have little interest in a single player game. Once you wet your feet against live people online racing ai becomes quite boring.
The future is online play.
Maybe the old games were neat for their time. They’ve got the right idea imo with sport.
I wouldnt bother with a gt title focused on a single player career grind after playing live people.

Absolutely. Multiplayer has been the future for at least the last 10 years.

Absolutely. Multiplayer has been the future for at least the last 10 years.

Ok?
I prefer poker to solitaire. I’d rather play tennis than beat a ball against a wall. In golf you can’t go out by yourself come back and say you broke par.
Imo more people would like to race people than not. They buy games. Simple facts.
In racing you gotta compete. There’s no restarts or do overs, if you get taken out t1 you gotta battle on.
I understand solitude believe me. But racing online is just way more fun than racing a computer. Like playing chess against a real person is way more fun than computer chess.

“Yes,” stated Yamauchi. “That is a very important element. And it is not just about increasing the number of license events, per se, but you have to make sure that the players do not lose their motivation. That is the important part.”

Yap, this is very important and I am shocked again that you have not asked more here.

All these missed opportunities.....

A kinda „Forzathon“ for GT would be highly motivating, esp when a 20 million car is up for grabs.

Also the daily workout gifts are still a shame.
Still getting duplicates, still no car mire expensive then a million CR.

But no matter what interview you have, you never address this crucial point that keeps player not caring anymore about daily workout gifts.

I play GTS when new cars are there and leave it alone until next dlc.

There is just nothing that motivates me.

And grinding to 20 million is ridicolous.

It was fun to compare the responses with the average age of the accounts; it seems there's a vocal minority of people who enjoy the mass matchmaking style of online gameplay that gt sport introduced, having become the CS:GO of racing so to speak. I think those people are looking for iracing with better graphics. I feel like this game lost the natural development of communities that not having an online league forced; drag racers met drag racers, hotlappers met hotlappers, etc. I think kaz also knows not to abandon his silent majority, I know I'm not the only one who skipped this entire console generation because gt sport was so different from previous titles.

If there doing more offline then I would like the AI to be more of a challenge and to have some decent Championships with qualifying (not just single races) and decent length races :)

Dynamic weather and day/night cycle would be great to 👍

Back