The Next Gran Turismo Could Feature More "Offline" Gameplay

This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Andrew Evans (@Famine) on April 2nd, 2019 in the Gran Turismo Sport category.
For me, it's the penalty system that rewards poor drivers and punishes the ones making an effort. It's worse in the daily races. People know they don't have to answer to a host and purposely ram. I had a reasonable season first season ending in the top 150. People respect the lobby way more. Fix the penalty system in daily races and you'll see a surge in popularity.

Yamauchi continued: “What we are doing now is working on that force that pulls people up from the top, but the next thing we have to do is to push people up, and I think that has a lot to do with the offline part of the game.”

And to do this, I think they have make the game a bit harder, the license tests is ridiculous easy, even more so when they changed it to be even easier than it original was, same with the circiut expeience times, is hardly any challenge at all, I wish the single player races was a bit harder as well, it's just too easy to win, almost every race in single player I win with a half lap or more, It's not fun, bring back qualifying and make the game a bit harder and single players will be better prepared for online racing.

I'm not that good, I struggled a lot in GT 5 and GT 6 with the special events and license tests, but in my opinion GT S is way too easy.

Last edited:
Hell yeah. I wish I could relive the magic that was GT5. Hopefully with a full-blown GT7 on PS5 this will become a reality.
Unless he changed his mind I read the main dude(cant remember his name) said he would never make a gt7. Wanted to double down on gts saying something to the effect that it was the way of the future. I going on memory here so dont quote me.

He said that they want to help drivers improve their racing skills. Why don't they add telemetry to the game? I would love to be able to compare my lap by lap and see where I am making mistakes and where I am gaining time (not to mention that there could be a "my perfect lap" option where I can join the telemetry of my best sectors and then compare to what I am doing.

I hope we can finally adjust tire pressure in the next GT. Also a proper telemetry would be nice, the current one gives way too less information.

If they want more offline content and gameplay, they better start by making a car selection in Arcade Mode similar to GT4 where all the cars in the game can be used in Arcade Mode as courtesy cars (you'll be starting off with quite a large number of cars, then you'll have to work your way through), but with a catch: you have to acquire the car first in Brand Central or through any other means. This should apply to both GT Sport and the possible GT7.

Arcade Mode cars cannot have their tuning set-ups edited, and also cannot be upgraded with Mileage Points, and only default colors/liveries can be used, but this is another great option besides using cars from your Garage. In fact it would be just like GT4, if you want to use a certain car for free right off the bat, you'll have to unlock it first by acquiring it with Credits or through a prize.

Last edited:
But please improve the AI this time. I want more competitive and real racing.

Add the ability to invite friends into the events. The events would become exponentially more fun.

The AI could be the most sophisticated piece of code in human history and the forums would still complain.

What expiration date? The game came out in 2017.

It could be in the sense that GTS is heavily online based (we can’t even save the game without being connected to the servers); a pattern has been noticed with both GT5’s and GT6’s servers going down fairly shortly after their successors release, meaning that after the next GT, whatever that may be, the servers may be shut down for GTS, potentially turning it into a paperweight.

Of course, this could probably be changed if there’s an update that allows progress to be saved while offline, of course.

Arcade mode should include the weekly and FIA races. With the car(s) provided for that race only, same penalties, track limits, if applicable fuel, tire and approx. level of opponents.

This would encourage participation in Sports Mode, give players a real way to warm up before committing to race and give players an opportunity to try a car they may purchase. It would be win-win.

It could be in the sense that GTS is heavily online based (we can’t even save the game without being connected to the servers); a pattern has been noticed with both GT5’s and GT6’s servers going down fairly shortly after their successors release, meaning that after the next GT, whatever that may be, the servers may be shut down for GTS, potentially turning it into a paperweight.

Of course, this could probably be changed if there’s an update that allows progress to be saved while offline, of course.

Ah, I see.

Kaz has already stated that he sees GT Sport as a service platform where they intend to continually distribute content rather than hoarding it for a disc release. We still have no idea how the next GT game will work but considering that this game is anchored by it's net code it's totally conceivable that the next disc release will fully cross play with GT Sport's online environment. I can't imagine that they would want to splinter their online user count the way it was between GT6 and Sport.

I'm totally making things up here but I could definitely see a future disc release weighted heavily with a single player career mode, vintage cars, cars not tied to the main GT Sport racing classes, and an integrated online mode that seamlessly cross plays with GT Sport clients all while uprezzing to PS5. You could even piece meal cars sales from GT7 to Sport players who didn't want to upgrade. The way the game is currently coded, there is tons of wiggle room for how this all can play out.

For me, it's the penalty system that rewards poor drivers and punishes the ones making an effort. It's worse in the daily races. People know they don't have to answer to a host and purposely ram. I had a reasonable season first season ending in the top 150. People respect the lobby way more. Fix the penalty system in daily races and you'll see a surge in popularity.

And they should probably quit calling them daily races, as they haven't changed daily for like a year now. Maybe a little more variety too than Suzuka in a slow car every week.

...and what exactly are said Forza games bringing to the table? Doesn't seem like a whole lot.
Maybe actual driving physics by Fanatec, unlike this real driving arcade simulator where the challenges only teach you to drive like a pig? Can't make the time? Never mind, just go faster and turn the wheel more, it's not like there is any actual understeer to look out for.

Another one. Actually having a realistic chance be able to own and drive all cars. I've supported GTS since the beginning, preordering the collector's edition. What did I get for that? A laugh in the face, discount of 30% on the collector's edition after first week and cars locked away behind a grind/pay wall.

Oh, and have you seen the list of online and rival events in FM7? People in FH4 actually complaining about too much weekly events to make them all. I'm still playing Forzathon events in FM7 every week. I couldn't be bothered to turn on GTS for half a year now.

I don't know, to me it seems like quite a lot...

Unless he changed his mind I read the main dude(cant remember his name) said he would never make a gt7. Wanted to double down on gts saying something to the effect that it was the way of the future. I going on memory here so dont quote me.
He also said that we won't have to wait for GT7 until 2017 and that GTS' online portion will be 15%. You can't trust the nose between the eyes of this guy. It's all just a bunch of random statements.

As it should. GT Sport aimed to be something different, and I knew that going in. I enjoy the online racing more than I anticipated, but I still think that going an entire console generation without a GT with good single player experience is a wasted opportunity.

Perhaps the online and offline experience need to be decoupled to have everything balanced, but shoehorning everyone into online racing by design rather than choice infers that they believed too many people just wouldn't give online racing a fair chance. A game shouldn't be scared of iit competing against itself - they should try to focus on balancing the two modes instead of cutting one entirely to make the other viable.

To this day I stand by my overall opinion on GT Sport - great fun, but not what I was actually looking for. The fact that the online GT Sport is my favorite racing game for this generation is because there wasn't a single-player alternative with the same production quality. It was well worth the (reduced) price, but it came at the cost of a real GT game.

Yamauchi continued: “What we are doing now is working on that force that pulls people up from the top, but the next thing we have to do is to push people up, and I think that has a lot to do with the offline part of the game.”

And to do this, I think they have make the game a bit harder, the license tests is ridiculous easy, even more so when they changed it to be even easier than it original was, same with the circiut expeience times, is hardly any challenge at all, I wish the single player races was a bit harder as well, it's just too easy to win, almost every race in single player I win with a half lap or more, It's not fun, bring back qualifying and make the game a bit harder and single players will be better prepared for online racing.

I'm not that good, I struggled a lot in GT 5 and GT 6 with the special events and license tests, but in my opinion GT S is way too easy.

I agree the difficulty could do with an increase and the AI needs massively improving (the cars on rails thing is laughable). I think the problem Kaz is addressing will still only apply to a minority of people who actually play it online. The majority want a return of traditional Gran Turismo collecting, tuning and painting... Esports dont have that appeal for the majority of users, it just doesnt have the same credibility as real world racing. There's no danger element, less challenge and not the same level of satisfaction when competing with a random game user. I think the reason lobbies are more popular is the bragging rights amongst friends actually means something to the gamers & crucially folks want to race their favourite tuned and painted cars not the perscribed cars / tracks in daily races.

GT3 and GT4 Licence Tests / Driving Missions were very hard to Gold, it's almost efforless to Gold in GT Sport!

I want non purchasable secret cars which can only be won like the old games. I don't care what you think.

Maybe actual driving physics by Fanatec, unlike this real driving arcade simulator where the challenges only teach you to drive like a pig? Can't make the time? Never mind, just go faster and turn the wheel more, it's not like there is any actual understeer to look out for.
Yea, penalties should apply to gt league and the driving school and, well just across the board.

GT3 and GT4 Licence Tests / Driving Missions were very hard to Gold, it's almost efforless to Gold in GT Sport!

I want non purchasable secret cars which can only be won like the old games. I don't care what you think.

I think having both Friend + Public leaderboards is a good replacement for a difficult license test.

You either spend 2 hours getting gold, or spend 2 hours beating that one really fast guy on your friends list. The result is the same, in my opinion at least.

But then again, if you don’t have any friends who play GT you’re kinda S.O.L. But IMO - in previous GT games, golding the licenses wasn’t compulsory, so most people didn’t. If the average (casual) player can’t achieve golds, they likely won’t even try to, and will ignore them completely. I 100% agree with making gold Licenses attainable for average and even below average players.

No penalties at all just damage! you go slower, lose downforce or have wonky tracking after an impact...
I like that. Would work for me. However I was perfectly happy with how it was and am perfectly happy with how it is. Although I do think its kind of bunk to give someone a penalty then allow them to get rid of it. I mean I'm laughing as I type this. So I guess I'm not perfectly happy but I aint complaining.

I don't think making every license test ultra hard is the solution,if you want a bigger pool of players dark souls license tests is not the answer.People would turn off their console if they had to beat GT4s license tests

Did they not understand that their initial 1.5 yr focus on elite FIA championships would naturally narrow the field of participants? And given this franchise's history with solo play, it was a critical gamble that may stumble to gain traction? Seems PD is finally looking at the participation numbers and ready to think about how to address the lack of bottom up participation - those casual players that are at the heart of this franchise.

For me, the solution is simple. Fix the matchmaking. Everyone can feel the satisfaction of having raced 'well' if they are competing on a level playing field.

On my climb up the SR ladder there was a period where I (mistakenly) felt I was really good at the game - because I was being matched with drivers of a similar pace and winning races was within reach. That lit the fire under me to keep playing.

SR hit 99 - now I'm back of the pack, unable to get within 5 seconds of the lap-times at the front. A thought that often comes to mind is "why am I bothering with this?".

Then I'll have a disastrous race that knocks my SR down to 50%, and suddenly the race wins are achievable again.

The right opposition for every class of player, including myself, is out there. We just don't get to race against each other exclusively because we try to race cleanly.

The fun and motivation are in the results.

edit - sorry, I accidentally deleted the username from the quote

For me, the solution is simple. Fix the matchmaking. Everyone can feel the satisfaction of having raced 'well' if they are competing on a level playing field.

Matchmaking isn't broken. When there are enough people to go around, the matchmaking works as intended. I think what you may be saying is match people ONLY against people of their own skill level, but that limits your ability to move up the ranks.

As I have been saying since the release of GT League, the ONLY way to make it actually good is to allow online play within the events. Little big planet had it right. You could play alone or you could allow people to play along with you.

GT League races should have differing participant limits, like 8 players for Sunday Cup, etc. Even allow each player to set how many real people can participate and the AI can make up the numbers as needed. Have a setting that allows open access(with proper matchmaking)/only friends/or offline only. Add a check box (like the lobbies) that only shows events with friends so you can join in their races.

I think that's the best of both worlds. What I hate most about the lobbies is that you never really know what you are in for. Hosts leave, they take forever to start races, everyone runs a different setting, some run BoP, some don't, some run RSS tires, some sun RH, some run SS....it's all over the place and a mess. I almost never go into the lobbies now because of the lack of predictability.

I think GT League needs more limits on it, so you can't go and run Tomahawks at max power during a Sunday Cup race or some other such idiocy, but there is TOTALLY a venue for everyone. Let people run max set ups in "Like the Wind". Have BoP limits in the Gr4 and GR3 Cups, etc, etc. GT League can be set up so that there are events to make everyone happy, and adding friends to the mix will only make it better.

Leave Sport Mode as the place to earn your DR/SR rank. Leave GT League as the place to apply your DR/SR rank.

Back