The Nissan Juke: We Talk About It

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 605 comments
I'm guessing that they're taking the threat of the Toyota, uh, whatever it's called, pretty seriously.
Not really. There's a reason I said take that info with a huge grain of salt, because it's not what I have been hearing.

Finally driven a Juke and it's mine for the weekend. After years with Mazda and Subaru, it's quite refreshing.

Feels way higher than a CX-3. I feel like it will actually go off-road Jeep style than be a softroader. The seat height adjuster is cramped between the door and seat. The middle fuel gauge gets washed out in direct sunlight. The HVAC screen is okay.

I'm digging the Sport steering wheel, seats and the coziness of the cabin. It's also cool to see the indicators over the bonnet and looking at the hips through the outboard mirrors. Just the right size. My wife prefers the yellow.

Cool car. That concept would be right.
Been looking at the Nismo juke RS myself lately as it seems stupidly cheap to insure.

Alot cheaper than a Fabia vRS and fiesta st. Heck it was even cheaper than a 1 litre fiesta!

Been looking at the Nismo juke RS myself lately as it seems stupidly cheap to insure.

Alot cheaper than a Fabia vRS and fiesta st. Heck it was even cheaper than a 1 litre fiesta!
Even though I dig little hatches like the Fabia and Polo GTI, the Juke has that character factor.

That one is arriving next year, or the specific chassis and powertrain details?

The current model has been out since 2010 - a seven-year product cycle is more or less in the ballpark for a typical model change and the Juke is in an insanely competitive segment so bringing one to market earlier would make sense - here in Europe the Juke is probably now the oldest car in its class.

The platform and powertrain details don't seem out of the ordinary either. Basing it on the next small Renault-Nissan setup is logical, and since Nissan already offers a 1.2-litre turbo over here in the Juke (as well as those 1.5 diesel and 1.6 litre turbo units) the 1-litre doesn't sound particularly far-fetched either.

And a Juke concept later this year is highly likely - Nakamura told me that himself in New York.

That one is arriving next year, or the specific chassis and powertrain details?

The current model has been out since 2010 - a seven-year product cycle is more or less in the ballpark for a typical model change and the Juke is in an insanely competitive segment so bringing one to market earlier would make sense - here in Europe the Juke is probably now the oldest car in its class.

The platform and powertrain details don't seem out of the ordinary either. Basing it on the next small Renault-Nissan setup is logical, and since Nissan already offers a 1.2-litre turbo over here in the Juke (as well as those 1.5 diesel and 1.6 litre turbo units) the 1-litre doesn't sound particularly far-fetched either.

And a Juke concept later this year is highly likely - Nakamura told me that himself in New York.
PM.

Rumor: No second gen. Juke
TTAC
When you burst out guns blazing from the get-go, it’s sometimes difficult to follow up with an impressive sequel. Such is the case with the Juke, which will have no second generation — at least not in North America.
According to two independent sources familiar with Nissan’s future product plans who spoke with TTAC, the Japanese automaker will kill off the funky four-wheel-drive subcompact crossover after the 2017 or 2018 model year, and replace it — in body and name — with the Aguascalientes-built Nissan Kicks.
-----
In global markets, both the Juke and Kicks are powered by a naturally aspirated 1.6-liter engine, but don’t expect that engine for North America. It’s more likely the Kicks will arrive with the Juke’s 1.6-liter turbo four-cylinder. However, sources claim the replacement may arrive sans all-wheel drive.
TheTruthAboutCars.com

I can confirm that. They are asking for a bit much on the engine though. Once it's gone, this will be the lineup:
  • Armada
  • Pathfinder
  • Murano
  • Rogue
  • Rogue Sport
  • Kicks

Surprised, seemed like a decent seller.

Then again, the Kicks looks like a more conventional Juke anyway, lame corporate face and all.

That's actually quite a shame, I thought a second generation Juke with styling cues from the Gripz would be an interesting proposition. But at least that source hasn't ruled out a replacement for European and Asian markets.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/29/2018-nissan-kicks-replaces-juke-compact-crossover-546w25/

Nissan has a new compact crossover joining the fray for 2018, and you've probably seen it before. The Nissan Kicks went on sale last year in certain markets outside the U.S., and it'll finally coming to a dealership near you in June of next year (assuming you live in America). But wait – doesn't Nissan already have a compact CUV to compete with the likes of the Chevy Trax and Honda HR-V? Not anymore. The Juke is gone for 2018, replaced by the significantly less polarizing Kicks.

Juke: Dead

That’s horrible news! I own a 2014 Juke SL awd with only 18,000 miles on it. I have a nismo cold air intake and a Stillen catback exhaust that pushes the horsepower to about 215hp. It’s really quick and handles really good in all weather conditions. I was really hoping for a redesigned Juke so I could trade it in but after seeing the Kicks and seeing those lame specs I think I’ll just keep mine.

You're implying that anyone except old people really cared for the Scion xB.

Ah yes, this old hyperbole. I've known quite a bit of young people who owned and loved the first gen xB. Either way, it's hard to argue that it wasn't Scion's most successful experiment and that the 2nd generation model contributed to the demise of the entire brand. At the beginning, Scion was xB. By the time the TC became the best selling Scion (after the first gen box was discontinued) the brand was already well on its way to its death.

The second gen xB never matched even the worst full-year sales of the first gen car.

Come oooooonnnnn, Kicks. Please sell enough for a waiting list. This way, it can fund a sporty 4-seater coupe.

I'd be surprised if this sells as well as the Juke if Nissan intends to bring it to the UK. Our market really took to the Juke.

VXR
I'd be surprised if this sells as well as the Juke if Nissan intends to bring it to the UK. Our market really took to the Juke.

To be fair, the Qashqai has been even more popular here, and that's conservatively styled.

Ah yet another car with some amount of character replaced by a successor with none. I think Nissan will come to regret this.

What did you expect the Juke is on every list of ugly cars, Nissan had to get rid of that reputation by discontinuing the Juke.
I never understood why everyone found the Juke ugly the only thing I did like the the round headlights but other then that it wasn't as bad as everyone said. I saw a youtube review on the Juke once and guy reviewing it kept on commenting on how ugly it the Juke was. Personally I think the Kicks is uglier the Juke. The Juke was different looking then anything in that segment while the Kicks looks just like every other crossover. They replaced the 188hp Juke with a 125hp Kicks what a joke.

They replaced the 188hp Juke with a 125hp Kicks what a joke.

They'll no doubt bring out a more powerful variant at some point - But perhaps it's just that they found that the lower powered Jukes outsold the more powerful ones by a large degree of magnitude.

What did you expect the Juke is on every list of ugly cars, Nissan had to get rid of that reputation by discontinuing the Juke.
I never understood why everyone found the Juke ugly the only thing I did like the the round headlights but other then that it wasn't as bad as everyone said. I saw a youtube review on the Juke once and guy reviewing it kept on commenting on how ugly it the Juke was. Personally I think the Kicks is uglier the Juke. The Juke was different looking then anything in that segment while the Kicks looks just like every other crossover. They replaced the 188hp Juke with a 125hp Kicks what a joke.
The view from behind the wheel, certainly didn't have my mind focused on its looks. It grew on me also, because of its size. Pretty smart car.

"It’s an urban meteor with a nasty attitude."

Alfonso Albaisa sounds like an awesome person to interview. :lol:

Here is your first look at the 2020 "not coming to the US" Nissan Juke...

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/2020-nissan-juke-will-remain-funky-despite-switch-new-platform/

e4f59eda-2020-nissan-juke-spy-shots-2.jpg

78a2a9da-2020-nissan-juke-spy-shots-6.jpg

Blows my mind that they aren't bringing this to the US. The first gen was crazy popular and, perhaps even more important, unmistakable.

Edit: Maybe the unmistakability is really the key. At it's peak, Nissan was selling fewer Jukes in a year than they routinely sell Rogues in a month. So maybe it wasn't quite as big of a seller as I assumed it was. Still, you notice every single one you see, so it does *feel* like there are a lot out there.

Last edited:
Blows my mind that they aren't bringing this to the US. The first gen was crazy popular.

Meanwhile, we get the Kicks, which is what the doctor will have to prescribe to you to stay awake for any longer than a few minutes around it.

Looks sharper than before, looks like the Gripz concept fused with real-world characteristics from the Micra. I'm hoping there is a Nismo version of this too.

Looks sharper than before, looks like the Gripz concept fused with real-world characteristics from the Micra. I'm hoping there is a Nismo version of this too.
Could be a trick of the camo but it seems lower and wider than the outgoing car. Interesting that the driving lights have remained, but the slimmer upper lamps have now moved down a little (hopefully it doesn't replicate the Hyundai Kona too closely...).

Agree on the Nismo too. The outgoing one is an underrated car, for me. Doesn't have the level of ability of regular hot hatches its size, but still a lot of fun and still pretty capable.

Back