The non-muscle American car thread (READ THE OP)

• Thread starter The87Dodge
  • 1,522 comments

In your opinion, which country makes the best looking cars?

• Total voters
I still don't understand why Ford felt the need to make it look so much like a hearse. I understand that was the in thing at the time, but no other cars I can think of pushed it so far that they replaced part of the rear door with padded vinyl.

:lol:

I don't think I've ever seen larger Landau bars as standard fare, not on a hearse. They served a purpose, though, in concealing the fact that it has two more doors, and we all know coupes tend to be more desirable than "mundane" sedans--look at the current trend of giving four-doors a coupe profile, be they midsize and fullsize cars or SUVs. Heck, I drive an example of the latter.

Early Jeeps
Willys MA 1941
2016-03-31-11-28-06--1403717386.jpg

Willys MB 1941-1945
1944WillysMB_02_1500.jpg

CJ-2A (AKA CJ-Slow-A) 1945-1949
1947-cj2a-bayshore-ny1.jpg

CJ-3A 1949-1953
montoya1.jpg

CJ-3B 1953-1968
270.jpg

CJ5 1954-1983
15456027_large.jpg

CJ6 1955-1975
jeep-cj6-main.jpg

CJ7 1976-1986 (last CJ produced)
P8160126.jpg

CJ8 "Scrambler" 1981-1986
collinsbros_2272_11277528__95555.1408571135.500.659.jpg

Here is a picture of the very first Aries to roll of the assembly line in 1981, from the Jefferson Avenue Assembly in Detroit.
Iacocca must've been over the moon!
Dodge Aries First Car Iacocca_K.jpg

Yeah, as cool as it was for Ford to bring the SHO badge back, that car is just too much of a boat. It feels very Old Ford on the inside. I'd imagine you'd have to be a very, very big Taurus fan to buy one new over something German or from Cadillac.

There's just too many Five Hundred vibes in there still.

I was chatting with a police officer recently, they're using Tauruses now as cruisers, and he was telling me it's nowhere near as sturdy as a Crown Vic, but it's much better at everything else.

Still, everytime I see one on the road I can't help but think it's just an undercover cop.

The Frank Sinatra edition 1982 Chrysler Imperial:

nsk9wvlbucybitsfoudd.jpg

People who bought this car were treated to a briefcase full of Sinatra tapes, as well as a silver/blue paint job, however, due to the lack of interest from the general public, the special edition was discontinued. How interesting.

The space/size ratio of the Taurus is what irked me. I was excited at first when I heard that Ford revived the SHO nameplate for the Taurus and I thought it looked fine, but then I realized how heavy it was. Up close, it looked a bit bloated. Also, I don't mean to sound like Jeremy Clarkson, but I feel that it needed more power to make up for the weight.

The space/size ratio of the Taurus is what irked me. I was excited at first when I heard that Ford revived the SHO nameplate for the Taurus and I thought it looked fine, but then I realized how heavy it was. Up close, it looked a bit bloated. Also, I don't mean to sound like Jeremy Clarkson, but I feel that it needed more power to make up for the weight.
365 HP wasn't enough for it. The 5.0's 435 HP probably could've made it better.

But with none of the positives the Five Hundred had, like interior space.
Agreed. It was a large car, but it had the interior space of a midsize.

365 HP wasn't enough for it. The 5.0's 435 HP probably could've made it better.

Agreed. It was a large car, but it had the interior space of a midsize.
The Taurus SHO should be FR anyway, not 4WD. A V8 that an SRT8 Challenger (not Hellcat) gets would be the right amount of power for it. And what was Ford thinking when they made the interior so small. It's like they were deliberately trying not to get people to buy their car.

A rear drive limited run Taurus would not happen.

I often forget the latest SHO even exists at all. If it wasn't for police cars the same would be said of the standard Taurus.

I Like the car but absolutely HATE the guy that built it. If I ever had money to get performance work done on a car, I'd never take my stuff to Hennessey's shop. The guy's reputation as a scam artist is just too well known for me to trust his work even if it sort of seems like he got his act together as of right now. (I stress as of right now because I have a feeling he'd still be ripping people off if some of his business partners weren't keeping an eye on his operations. )

I kinda don't care for the Venom so much as the Exige it's based on. Though, I think it looks kinda cool; it looks to me like a hypothetical Exige GT1.

Last edited:
Yes. American.

Well, technically it is but like everybody here said, it's indeed based on the Lotus Exige.

The Exige is a proper little sports car, whereas the Venom is just horsepower and tires--yawn.

I'm not gonna lie, I really liek the Exige but, it's not jsut horsepower and tires, friend. the car is at least longer, I suppose to consider the speed it goes as it's very hard to control. If had the same properties as the Exige and going at that speed of 250mph or so, I think it would deform a little bit.

But I do agree though. If you care about speed and america, this is the car. At least this car can do more than just left turns while going at insane speeds. (Y'all should probably know what I'm talking about.)

Latest Posts

Back