The NSX is making a return...

• Thread starter Brend
  • 1,074 comments
The Type S was a lightened, slightly more performance focused version of the standard car. The Type R took that concept even further. Perhaps there isn't the scope to do much with the current NSX in that regard? Or maybe they're saving the Type R badge for another swan song.

I'm wondering if they're going with Type S because the vast majority of the cars are US-market cars and stateside, Acura's "performance" trim across the board has been Type S, so it's more in line with the brand than an Acura Type-R (only one has been the Integra, I think?).

TheCracker's reasoning also sounds like a solid explanation; Type R will sell the cars fast, but even with it going out of production, Honda may not want to risk the reviews stating the car doesn't have anything that makes a Type-R special.

Last edited:
That all makes sense to me. I'm surprised it's taken them this long to jump on the special edition bandwagon which has worked decently well for the R35. This is pretty much the secret to keeping an old platform alive for a long time. It's not like the NSX's sales decline was sudden. Maybe they'll sell a Type S for a year or two and introduce a Type R right before the replace the car or shut it down.

That all makes sense to me. I'm surprised it's taken them this long to jump on the special edition bandwagon which has worked decently well for the R35. This is pretty much the secret to keeping an old platform alive for a long time. It's not like the NSX's sales decline was sudden. Maybe they'll sell a Type S for a year or two and introduce a Type R right before the replace the car or shut it down.
Reports indicate 22MY will be the final year for the NSX altogether. I think the idea of a Type R coming is dead if that's the case, because everyone who jumped to grab a Type S will possibly end up feeling upset that the much-wanted Type R moniker conveniently shows up a year later. Not to mention would probably look like a bad cash grab.

But, I think you're 100% right on special editions is what would've kept it alive and relevant. My only belief remains that Honda finally got the car out after years of unable to decide where to even put the engine and just said, "Don't dump any more money into it".

Not to mention would probably look like a bad cash grab.

But, I think you're 100% right on special editions is what would've kept it alive and relevant. My only belief remains that Honda finally got the car out after years of unable to decide where to even put the engine and just said, "Don't dump any more money into it".
Yeah like F1 I assume they've just given up. No Japanese company has ever been consistent when it comes to sports cars save the Miata.

As for the cash grabs, Mclaren, Lambo, et al are all firmly in the business of cash grabs lol. I suppose they've got the image and clientele to pull it off but I think a properly hot NSX would achieve the same thing, even in its last year, and especially if it were that next income bracket up. $160k for a base model, $220-260 for a Type R? Pending it were a ripper, of course.

Yeah like F1 I assume they've just given up. No Japanese company has ever been consistent when it comes to sports cars save the Miata.

As for the cash grabs, Mclaren, Lambo, et al are all firmly in the business of cash grabs lol. I suppose they've got the image and clientele to pull it off but I think a properly hot NSX would achieve the same thing, even in its last year, and especially if it were that next income bracket up. $160k for a base model, $220-260 for a Type R? Pending it were a ripper, of course.
Oh, no doubt. I mean it would be a bad cash grab in that could result in bad PR for the brand.

Owners dump $200K for a Type S and sell it out since it's the final car (and you know a dozen are being bought to flip, but that's another story). Honda surprises everyone a year later when the car is supposed to be out of production with a, "Sike! Here's the Type R you all really want." Type S owners are pissed because that means a Type R was already completed & that's the car they wanted. And a hot Type R on the market absolutely destroys any value a Type S had as the "final car". Us casual Joes would be excited, but I can't imagine one of Honda's most important owner bases being upset is good for long term reputation.

Oh, no doubt. I mean it would be a bad cash grab in that could result in bad PR for the brand.

Owners dump $200K for a Type S and sell it out since it's the final car (and you know a dozen are being bought to flip, but that's another story). Honda surprises everyone a year later when the car is supposed to be out of production with a, "Sike! Here's the Type R you all really want." Type S owners are pissed because that means a Type R was already completed & that's the car they wanted. And a hot Type R on the market absolutely destroys any value a Type S had as the "final car". Us casual Joes would be excited, but I can't imagine one of Honda's most important owner bases being upset is good for long term reputation.
This is why you don't buy for at least a decade or two.

This is why you don't buy for at least a decade or two.
Or you could buy now and keep it for a decade or two. I have a feeling even though nobody wants an NSX now, lots of people will want one in the future. A sort of last hurrah for ICE engines.

Or you could buy now and keep it for a decade or two. I have a feeling even though nobody wants an NSX now, lots of people will want one in the future. A sort of last hurrah for ICE engines.
This is what will likely happen. A few of these guys will make efforts to snatch up the early or late-production examples, or buy and store it for a year or two, then re-introduce it onto the Auction market with under 100 miles. Others will probably store it for 5 years; we'd get an idea of the car's demand by then.

This is what will likely happen. A few of these guys will make efforts to snatch up the early or late-production examples, or buy and store it for a year or two, then re-introduce it onto the Auction market with under 100 miles. Others will probably store it for 5 years; we'd get an idea of the car's demand by then.
It's a risky move. Some cars go straight up from production, but lots do not. I think this one will go down (just guessing). It's nice to see increasing prices before buying for any appreciation. I wouldn't want to be one of these buy-new-and-store folks. It seems like an absurdly long play with high risk, maintenance, and not even that great a return.

Plus, everything that this NSX is: first awd production NSX, hybrid, turbo.
It's not like this is the last of the Opel/Holden Commodores. It's the last of this generation NSX. I also understand, who will be searching for one of these in 10 years, when there's no need to use petrol in the latest cars? Pretty much makes it a track only car.

It's a risky move. Some cars go straight up from production, but lots do not. I think this one will go down (just guessing). It's nice to see increasing prices before buying for any appreciation. I wouldn't want to be one of these buy-new-and-store folks. It seems like an absurdly long play with high risk, maintenance, and not even that great a return.
It may go down at first, but that's why they'll wait a couple years. The car is a limited edition of only 300 in the states, which will add a bit of a safety net. That's why I also said some may wait a few years where we'll get a better idea of the market demand. I think a low-mile example coming up for sale 5 years after production has ended can still make even at worst.

Last edited:
It may go down at first, but that's why they'll wait a couple years. The car is a limited edition of only 300 in the states, which will add a bit of a safety net. That's why I also said some may wait a few years where we'll get a better idea of the market demand. I think a low-mile example coming up for sale 5 years after production has ended can still make even at worst.
Yea, but... if you're going to buy a ridiculously low-mileage car, buy one that someone else has already shrinkwrapped for 15 years. That one's being offered for sale because it's gone up in value, and will continue to go up. If the choice is between a shrinkwrapped NSX today (or a Type S or whatever), and a shrinkwrapped NSX of yesteryear, the better play is the older one. You're buying at a better point in the value curve.

Holding and maintaining a super low mileage car takes a lot of overhead, and for the first 10 years it might be a net loss. It's a reeeeaaally long term play. There are better ways to play with money. I'm sure there are exceptions, but this is not where I'd be playing.

Not sure if someone’s mentioned it already, but I feel like this new NSX Type S is more so part of the top-of-the-line Acura “Type S” label, and not so much a revival of the original NSX Type S. Especially since the overwhelming majority of the new NSX Type S will go to the USA. I don’t recall Honda announcing they’ll be putting out this iteration, either.

At any rate, the new Acura NSX Type S seems like it’d be a great fit for Acura in a future Gran Turismo title, as it seems like a model that’s exclusive to Acura. I’d say something similar of the Acura Integra Type R from the late 90s/early 00s - the one that I think only came in two colors, and one was yellow. But I digress - I’m really hoping there’s still space for Acura and Infiniti in future Gran Turismo games, especially with how they have some models/trims with no equivalent in Honda and Nissan, respectively, such as this new NSX Type S we’re discussing.

Last edited:
The Drive.

message-editor%2F1628791144323-2022acuransxtypes_026.jpg

message-editor%2F1628790457527-2022acuransxtypes_019.jpg

message-editor%2F1628791242007-2022acuransxtypes_010.jpg

The front end I'm not happy about. This design doesn't flow with the rest of the car nearly as well. Also, apparently this car laps Suzuka 2 seconds faster than the base NSX which...isn't a lot.

Last edited:
The front end I'm not happy about. This design doesn't flow with the rest of the car nearly as well.
I agree. I think the worse part for me is that the shutting line of the hood doesn't really align with anything anymore. They added a really faint line on the bumper to try to fix that, but it's not visible enough to fix it imo.

"Acura debuts revised version of car as it should have been in the first place, 5 years too late. Makes sure to note it will be limited to 350 examples when realistically they probably will have trouble selling even that many."

Last edited:
"Acura debuts revised version of car as it should have been in the first place, 5 years too late. Makes sure to note it will be limited to 350 examples when realistically they probably will have trouble selling even that many."
Well yeah. Even the LFA was a hard sell towards the end.

But for some reason, Ford GTs and such sell out day one.

I dont think the NSX will be worth anything 10-20yrs from now. Simply because people want something truly throw back like a Ferrari 458 or better yet, a manual F430.

To me a hybrid supercar like the NSX isnt really fish nor fowl.q1

Well yeah. Even the LFA was a hard sell towards the end.

I think that's down to it effectively being THE original throwback. People always make this big deal about "The old days" and Nostalgia is becoming a stronger factor, especially with this push towards electric and when you think about it, its as proper a throwback as you can get: Its a Manual, its got an "emotive" Engine that isn't stiffled by turbos and ironically, its existance is in itself a throwback. At the time, it was a modernized time capsule to the 60s and it now ironically can be seen as a time capsule back to cars when they had more "Soul".

Last edited:
That's because Ford actually made what people wanted. Rippers. No-holds-barred big chungus loud extreme rippers. They could've made the 2017 GT a hybrid...but they didn't because nobody wanted it and they didn't need to.

That's because Ford actually made what people wanted. Rippers. No-holds-barred big chungus loud extreme rippers. They could've made the 2017 GT a hybrid...but they didn't because nobody wanted it and they didn't need to.
Wasn't the 2017 GT made the way it was because of the race car, not what the market was after?

It also helps that the GT first arrived at a time when car culture was just starting to be a mainstream thing, making it much easier to capture people's attention, and Ford still treats it as a face of the franchise when it comes to marketing.

By comparison, this NSX arrived at a time when the media was already oversaturated with hybrid mania, and Acura apparently decided shortly after its release that it doesn't fit the corporate image so they treated it with all the flair and gusto of a church picnic announcement.

it does a bit and thats not a good thing

the c8 and this car looks like a generic Gran Theft Auto 5 car.

This car has the same issue that many of the supercars have... they dont have that huge 'grab' factor. McLarens are infamous for this too.

They have an issue establishing identity and getting into the public 'zeitgeist'.

I suspect the styling of the C8 will work better on their next version. There wont be a next version NSX.

This car has the same issue that many of the supercars have... they dont have that huge 'grab' factor. McLarens are infamous for this too.
I don't want to get too far off topic (I'll return to the NSX in a bit) but I think the McLaren thing is a bit more nuanced than that.

McLaren undoubtedly lacks the mystique, and maybe the exoticism of a brand like Ferrari or Lamborghini. It's not been building road cars as long, and its brand recognition is tied much more closely to F1 even than Ferrari (while F1 was Enzo's passion, it's still always been a road car brand too rather than just a racing constructor).

Importantly I think, brands like Ferrari and Lamborghini also built their reputations well before the internet was a thing. That immediately takes some impact out of any new car because everyone and their dog can immediately download everything you ever want to know about a car, see photos, watch videos etc, so that feeling of getting a once-in-a-lifetime glance of an exotic car (like you might if you saw a Daytona in the 1970s, for instance) just isn't a thing any more. Car shows are everywhere too, and people know they can go to a certain bit of a city and see a line of supercars outside some posh hotel.

All that said... I'd contest that McLarens don't have that "grab" factor as you call it. Over the past six or seven years I've been fortunate enough to drive most of the "mainstream" supercars (i.e. not the hypercars, but the majority of the standard range for Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren etc) and as an object of desirability, McLarens are absolutely up there with anything else you'd care to mention. And they look incredible on the road.

Now getting back to the NSX...

You're right in that it suffers the same kind of issues, maybe also that it's similar to McLaren in that regard. But it's another that I simply don't think it's possible to judge until you've spent a bit of time around the car. On the road the current NSX looks absolutely fantastic IMO - low, compact, a striking shape, just as a supercar should be.

I've posted shots from this set a few times before on GTP, but when you see the NSX in traffic it looks like a spaceship. Definitely has the impact you'd hope for (and I can confirm, McLarens look even crazier).

8S4A7816_resized.jpg

The irony for me is that while we all got very bored of waiting for Honda to actually release the NSX, it's now so uncommon a sight that it's gone the other way now, and seeing one is quite an event - again, as a supercar should be.

Last edited:
Looks like VIN 001 is up for auction this weekend.
nsx.jpg

Auction notes this is 1 of 70 in Gotham Grey Matte Metallic. Also says the highest bidder will be able to custom order their Type S to their exact specifications, so I guess you get two if you win? I'm positive this will clear $1,000,000 easily since it's for charity & Hendrick will probably be the winner

Back