The One Million Dollar Wii

• Thread starter poolio
  • 33 comments
I can tell from the description that this guy's smart enough to not really expect to get anything out of this. I'd say he's just testing the waters to see if there's actually a rich schmuck dumb enough to pay that price. If there is, hell, he'll be rich. If not, oh no, his eBay sale expires and he's left with a Wii, a full set of controllers and a couple games. How terrible.

The way I see it, this is different from the people who bought Wiis or PS3s because they were "certain" someone would pay $1500 for it.

Also:

I seriously hope this guy makes it !...

Will only make my disbelief in the human race even bigger....

I question anyone that buys anything on release day that's obviously been over priced.

Even though this ebay listing and that BB will have Wii's in stock on the 23 isn't a release day it might as well be...

Oh, Davis... I can drive over there, kick his ass, and take the money. xD

Haha, not as much as I questioned $600 for the PS3.

:lol:

As just a gaming machine, you're right. However, the PS3 is much more than just a game machine and it's an insane value even at $600.

As for the Wii... I cannot say as much.

When i read the title, i thought it was one of them "special edition" Nintendo Wii, which was made out of gold or diamond or something....Hah! This guys an idiot i would say..... :lol:

As just a gaming machine, you're right. However, the PS3 is much more than just a game machine and it's an insane value even at $600.

I smell fanboy. :P

If someone can sell Virgin Mary toast, someone can sell a million dollar Wii.

[QUOTE="Auction]Many gift givers this year will become universally adored by camping out overnight, refreshing web pages continuously, or even worse--paying an exaggerated price on eBay for their Wii.[/QUOTE]

Mmm, tongue-in-cheek. 👍 Too bad he didn't peg it at $10K or something so that someone might almost be crazy enough to buy it.

But hey, look on the bright side - free shipping! Can't get much better than that.

Mmm, tongue-in-cheek. 👍 Too bad he didn't peg it at $10K or something so that someone might almost be crazy enough to buy it.

But hey, look on the bright side - free shipping! Can't get much better than that.

Nope... Can't beat free shipping with a stick :-)

Man oh man this guy is thick. I also thought it was like gold or diamond lol.

I say good luck to that guy.

One of his mates will probably bid on it so everyone else is stunned that someone bought it!

......pointless but slightly funny but posting weird stuff on ebay is kind of old hat now...

Robin

A million dollars? I question the people who pay $250 for a Wii.
:indiff: Although, technically it was gifted to me, so I didn't pay.

Haha, not as much as I questioned $600 for the PS3.
:guilty:

Although, I will say that I priced the 360 with the added HD-DVD drive, Wi-Fi, and steering wheel (which I already had for my PS3) and it was cheaper to get the PS3.

I sincerely doubt that ANYBODY in their right mind will buy that particular machine. I have a choice of paying $1,000,000 and waiting through the night for the machine, or going to Walmart and buying the machine in 25 minutes for $250 and another $50 for 3 more remotes with a total of $300 (guessing the remote cost).

So hard to choose!

I sincerely doubt that ANYBODY in their right mind will buy that particular machine. I have a choice of paying $1,000,000 and waiting through the night for the machine, or going to Walmart and buying the machine in 25 minutes for $250 and another $50 for 3 more remotes with a total of $300 (guessing the remote cost).

So hard to choose!

I think if he was looking to donate half to charity or something like that someone would do it, but as just an attempt to get one, no.

Although, getting a Wii is still not as simple as going down to Wal*Mart. If you catch them on the day they came in then maybe. I have a friend looking for one right now and he is having trouble finding it.

Also, your remote cost is WAY off. $40 per remote. So $120 for three. Then if you want the nunchuck for each one as well that is $20 a piece, so now it is $180 total. Oh, and if you want to play any VC games you might need a classic controller for another $20, and since you will likely want/need two that brings your price to $220.

So, now we are looking at $470 overall, and you have yet to buy a game. The Wii is only the cheaper machine if you are not wanting to turn it into the party game machine it is designed to be. I will give it credit for allowing friends to bring their own remotes and sync them up as a guest and then allowing them to use their own Mii that is stored on the remote.

I would buy it, but I spent too much money on gift wrap for the Brooklyn Bridge.

Also, your remote cost is WAY off. $40 per remote. So $120 for three. Then if you want the nunchuck for each one as well that is $20 a piece, so now it is $180 total. Oh, and if you want to play any VC games you might need a classic controller for another $20, and since you will likely want/need two that brings your price to $220.

So, now we are looking at $470 overall, and you have yet to buy a game. The Wii is only the cheaper machine if you are not wanting to turn it into the party game machine it is designed to be. I will give it credit for allowing friends to bring their own remotes and sync them up as a guest and then allowing them to use their own Mii that is stored on the remote.
The PS3 owners that are popping up in this thread will very likely call me a Nintendo fanboy for this, but that isn't quite right.

Yes, it's $40 for a Wiimote and $20 per nunchuck, but considering that adds up to the equivalent of one 360 controller ($60) and just $10 more than the rumbleless SIXAXIS, not to mention the fact that you rarely need two Wiimote-Nunchuck pairs at a time, much less four, the cost is roughly the same for all systems.

On the other hand, the Virtual Console point is valid because not everyone owns Gamecube controllers (supported by nearly every VC game), and because the wireless (though awkwardly tethered to the Wiimote) Classic Controller doesn't cost much more than a Gamecube controller these days.

Still, implying that you "have" to pay $400+ on a Wii before getting a game is a tad unfair. Although it generally makes a good party machine, as you said, the best games that have been released on it so far have all been single-player or with limited multiplayer (Metroid and UR MR GAY, for example). By comparison, a lot of the "party games" (especially third-party ones) so far are half-assed trash (Mario and Sonic Go to the Olympic Games, for example).

It's kinda like saying a 360 "must" be bought with the HDDVD drive to be even slightly comparable to the PS3. I guarantee you that if I were to buy a PS3, its ability to play BluRay movies would go 100% unused.

So, now we are looking at $470 overall, and you have yet to buy a game. The Wii is only the cheaper machine if you are not wanting to turn it into the party game machine it is designed to be.
So, lets make it so you have to buy 3 extra controllers for the PS3. So, $500/$400 + $150. That's $550 and/or $650.
For an XBox, its $350/$450 + $180. Which comes out to be $530/$630. And the games cost more.

This scares me, and entertaines me XD. There are people that are lazy enough to put PS3's for one cent because they are broken, and once you get it you give the guy like 10 cents, plug it in to find out you got an NTSC PS3 that came from a person that lives in a PAL region XD. That's what happened to me, so I basically got a free PS3 for a crazy dude.

Wonder if this idiot will restart this auction? Be pretty funny if he kept doing it and the eBay fees started piling up.

If you search for Nintendo Wii it shows that the prices range from $.01 to $6,000,000. I could not find one listed for over $20,000, however.

Back