The Pictures of Mike Rotch (now with added development)

• Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 240 comments
Nice one mate, was just browsing random pics on flickr when I saw and thought I like that.
Then I noticed it was yours. :lol:

Sort of a byproduct. It was really challenging light on Sunday - overcast/sun/overcast/sun so I was moving it around up to 1600 and down again, but in this one to get a view of inside the shop it had to go up 3200 to get the exposure right.

That is a gorgeous lens if that effect is from the camera 👍
Ay, it is ! The lens is a CCTV lens, so a defined circle of sharpness in the center and then this dreamy zone of softness/ bokeh around it. The lens isn't designed to have a flat plane of focus, edge to edge, so the effect you see is all it. It makes subject isolation brilliant (images yet to be processed). The slight vignetting is off the lens too, but very characterful.

Best part, it cost me $25!

I admit that the world of CCTV lenses is one that I don't know anything about... Starting with the fact that I thought they only covered a circle big enough for a 4/3 sensor, nothing bigger.

Is that the reason why the images have been cropped on the sides (because they were taken on the NEX-6)?

how on earth are you attaching a cctv lens to it?

That's the easiest part - a mirrorless will swallow anything they throw at it and there will always be someone making an adapter for that. :D

Very cool. What body are you shooting with and how on earth are you attaching a cctv lens to it?
I started on an Alpha but got bored with the lack of lenses, so through M42 ended up getting a NEX6, which as 35mm says, takes pretty much anything with the right adapter. These cctv lenses come with a C-mount to NEX adapter in the price too.

I admit that the world of CCTV lenses is one that I don't know anything about... Starting with the fact that I thought they only covered a circle big enough for a 4/3 sensor, nothing bigger.

Is that the reason why the images have been cropped on the sides (because they were taken on the NEX-6)?
You are correct in that they will fully cover only a 4/3, but thought it was worth a punt given the small cost. Now, it is so minor I see it as a plus. I cropped the images not because of vignetting, but to remove unwanted distraction in the images 👍. The right edge of the "4 friend" and "smoking man" are out-of-the-camera vignetting, and the left edge of the "concentrating guy" is also out of camera.

I started on an Alpha but got bored with the lack of lenses, so through M42 ended up getting a NEX6, which as 35mm says, takes pretty much anything with the right adapter. These cctv lenses come with a C-mount to NEX adapter in the price too.

I might have to look into them. I have been looking for something to give me that dreamy vignetted blur for a while now. 👍

Nice, liking these last few. 👍
Just curious about Amigos shot. Does it involve a crop or is it more courage so to speak being fairly close with a 35mm?

Thanks mate :)

That is pretty much how close I was, like, <2m. It helped a lot that it was at a busy street corner where I was less conspicuous. I had made up my mind when I took it that if they turned around, I'd try chat to them, but they didn't so I pushed off.

I know the composition won't allow much room for it, but I'd like to see that last photo straightened (the vertical lines).

Personally, I hate cropping my shots, but it itches me even more to see them tilted. ;)

Having said that, both are great street shots. 👍

I know the composition won't allow much room for it, but I'd like to see that last photo straightened (the vertical lines).
Yea, I would agree with you now that you point it out; I think the tweak will be small enough to not limit the framing too much. I don't like changing pics on Flickr once I've uploaded the original, but I'll fix it up in my private collection 👍

I don't like changing pics on Flickr once I've uploaded the original
Maybe you already know this, but there's a "Replace" option on flickr that will let you upload another photo and everything else will stay unchanged. No one will notice a thing. The "share" links will be broken, though.

I'm undecided if the out of focus area is distracting or not...

In just this shot or the lens in general?

Personally this one is a little distracting to me, hard to put a finger on it but perhaps because there is a lot of white in the pic the subject doesn't pop as much if you get my drift.

Oh nice Sydney weather btw. :P

Back